• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiko

Banned
How involved is Lucas? Is there any reason to fear the dialogue and story will be just as awful as the prequels? Because that teaser trailer actually looked pretty good. As in it looked like something from an actual movie.

Anyone else was more excited by the X-Wings and cockpit view than by the Sith mention and new lightsaber? Really looking forward to the dogfights. I hope they top the Death Star II battle from ROTJ.

-griffy-

Banned
How involved is Lucas? Is there any reason to fear the dialogue and story will be just as awful as the prequels? Because that teaser trailer actually looked pretty good. As in it looked like something from an actual movie.

He's pretty much not involved in the production at all.

Angry Fork

For people who know about the canon, what happened to the clone idea for stormtroopers? Are some of them clones and some of them real people? Were the clones in Episode 2 a different kind of soldier/army than the future stormtroopers? I remember them having different armor/helmets etc.

curb

Banned

I don't know if he's involved at all but the screenplay is written by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan who wrote Empire Strikes Back.

Branduil

how could you even begin to assume any of this without actually seeing the movie. wtf?

It could easily be about some rogue sith dickhead that doesnt follow any of the Jedi ideals and tries to modify a saber to how he wants it.

Sure, it could be. I'm just saying there's nothing in the trailer to indicate that. Until we see more, it just seems like a silly design choice.

My understanding is that he's a "consultant", which means only as involved as Disney, the writers and JJ feel like letting him be.

My argument is basically that everything wrong with Revenge of the Sith is due to either lack of vision on Lucas's part (Grievous vs. Kenobi) or having to follow the other two films (the actors, in particular). That being said, the story is still of a very high quality, especially when compared to the two prior films, and I'd argue it comes pretty darn close to matching the Original Trilogy. I think the dialogue is actually pretty stellar on the whole, which is surprising. Also, the actors end up bringing their A game, even if they're not all my ideal choices for some of those roles. I just don't think there's all that much wrong with the movie, and it has the unfortunate status of being a part of the Prequel Trilogy, which keeps people from realizing just how good it is.

I think it is 3 small edits away from being a classic and those are simply within Padme and Anakin scenes. The one where she is on the balcony is obviously a reshoot and is completely unnecessary to the film and the edit without it would work better.

Ironically Phantom Menace needs a few lines cut back in to fix a few plot holes (like why there is only one droid control ship) but it too could lose a simple scene or two for pacing (like when Anakin goes to see Padme to say goodbye in Corusant)

For people who know about the canon, what happened to the clone idea for stormtroopers? Are some of them clones and some of them real people? Were the clones in Episode 2 a different kind of soldier/army than the future stormtroopers? I remember them having different armor/helmets etc.

check my post at the top of the page

well dude sending the tweets is dumb af, and clearly doesnt know Star Wars lore. the Clone DNA broke down during the years between ep. III and ep. IV, so the Empire started recruiting HUMAN volunteers and forcing others into the storm trooper forces. so there is next to no actual clone troopers left by ep. IV which is why the storm troopers have different voices and heights are inconsistent.

Is this canon though? Where is this explained?

Metallix87

For people who know about the canon, what happened to the clone idea for stormtroopers? Are some of them clones and some of them real people? Are were the clones in Episode 2 a different kind of soldier/army than the future stormtroopers? I remember them having different armor/helmets etc.

A rebellion on Kamino resulted in Palpatine realizing that relying exclusively on Jango Fett clones was a bad idea in the long run. He decided to keep the 501st Legion comprised entirely of Clones, but the rest of the Imperial Army would be made of any remaining Clones as well as a constant stream of recruits from the Empire's territories.

I think it is 3 small edits away from being a classic and those are simply within Padme and Anakin scenes. The one where she is on the balcony is obviously a reshoot and is completely unnecessary to the film and the edit without it would work better.

Ironically Phantom Menace needs a few lines cut back in to fix a few plot holes (like why there is only one droid control ship) but it too could lose a simple scene or two for pacing (like when Anakin goes to see Padme to say goodbye in Corusant)

I think all three prequels are a few strategic edits/reshoots away from being "okay" movies, but 2 or 3 more drafts from being classics. There are just fundamental problems with all three - though the basic concepts are good and with more time in development (plus a stronger writer and director) they could've been great.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I thought the teaser was pretty average. The first few scenes looked fan-filmy.

Even though it sounded like arse in concept and looked arse in the concept art, the cross-hilt unstabilsed lightsaber didn't look half-bad in motion.

Loved that xwing shot over the water and of course the falcon/tie fighter ending. I have every confidence that this will be light years beyond the crap that was the prequels

mrkgoo

Clones are real people too!

Was the whole idea that the stormtroopers in the original trilogy were still clones?

Because didn't they redub them with Temuera Morrison? Or was that just boba fett? I thought the "close the blast doors" was redubbed but maybe not.

Or they were just people by then?

Metallix87

To me, Phantom Menace's biggest issue is that it flies in the face of a lot of what A New Hope implied. I really think that Anakin and Obi-Wan should've met in the prelude to the Clone Wars, the former as a Padawan who had just finished his training and also happened to be a skilled pilot. Focusing on Anakin at such a young age was a huge mistake, and it makes everything seem a little odd with regards to a lot of interactions in the Prequel Trilogy and also with regards to Obi-Wan in A New Hope.

kiguel182

My argument is basically that everything wrong with Revenge of the Sith is due to either lack of vision on Lucas's part (Grievous vs. Kenobi) or having to follow the other two films (the actors, in particular). That being said, the story is still of a very high quality, especially when compared to the two prior films, and I'd argue it comes pretty darn close to matching the Original Trilogy. I think the dialogue is actually pretty stellar on the whole, which is surprising. Also, the actors end up bringing their A game, even if they're not all my ideal choices for some of those roles. I just don't think there's all that much wrong with the movie, and it has the unfortunate status of being a part of the Prequel Trilogy, which keeps people from realizing just how good it is.

I agree that the burden of the other two movies is evident but the movie has problems of it's own.
Dialogue might not be as bad as Attack of the Clones but it isn't good. They still don't sound like real people and when they try to be dramatic it falls flat most of the time. The whole Anakin turn to the dark side is done way to fast, he goes from being a caring husband to killing children and choking is wife in the span of a few scenes and characters are still paper thin when it comes to personality.

It's the better directed movie out of the three but apart from a view scenes it still feels like Lucas is shooting every dialogue scene the same way and it still lacks variety.

Also, the duel between Anakin and Obi Wan still drags on for too long and it's too cartoony and ectic. It doesn't feel as tense as the ones on the original trilogy because they just flail their ligthsabers at each other for 40 minutes while doing acrobatics and cartoony jumps.

It's better than the other two and it doesn't improve on some things (mostly the story structure and pacing) but it's not a masterpiece and I don't think it's even that great. It's a decent movie with some cool ideas and the backing of an amazing universe and a 30 year backstory.

EDIT: And maybe I'm a little to hard on Revenge, sure. But I don't think it's great anyway and I can enjoy it (as I can the other two) but me enjoying it and thinking it's good are two different things.

raphier

Banned
XZVr2dr.jpg

I like how the scenes were designed to mimic their concept arts. Every single scene in that trailer looks like it was painted first, animated later.

Metallix87

I agree that the burden of the other two movies is evident but the movie has problems of it's own.
Dialogue might not be as bad as Attack of the Clones but it isn't good. They still don't sound like real people and when they try to be dramatic it falls flat most of the time. The whole Anakin turn to the dark side is done way to fast, he goes from being a caring husband to killing children and choking is wife in the span of a few scenes and characters are still paper thin when it comes to personality.

It's the better directed movie out of the three but apart from a view scenes it still feels like Lucas is shooting every dialogue scene the same way and it still lacks variety.

Also, the duel between Anakin and Obi Wan still drags on for too long and it's too cartoony and ectic. It doesn't feel as tense as the ones on the original trilogy because they just flail their ligthsabers at each other for 40 minutes while doing acrobatics and cartoony jumps.

It's better than the other two and it doesn't improve on some things (mostly the story structure and pacing) but it's not a masterpiece and I don't think it's even that great. It's a decent movie with some cool ideas and the backing of an amazing universe and a 30 year backstory.

I didn't think the dialogue or the action were all that bad, though I agree that Anakin's turn was done far too quickly (though again, this is likely because the previous two films wasted a lot of time without focusing on what should have been obvious from the beginning: Anakin was a Jedi with a great deal of potential but also tainted by a darkness that he could potentially succumb to at any moment).

Was the whole idea that the stormtroopers in the original trilogy were still clones?

Because didn't they redub them with Temuera Morrison? Or was that just boba fett? I thought the "close the blast doors" was redubbed but maybe not.

The original stormtroops were clones but after that the Empire recruited non-clones and trained them in academies, as they've shown in the Rebels TV show recently. Boba Fett was redubbed with Temuera Morrison.

Fj0823

Some guys saying that the mere presence of a black man ruined the movie...or that having a cute thing like the ball droid is "Disney Trash"

I can't believe this world

I for one, welcome our new Jedi overlords

Nicktendo86

Great trailer, teased but didn't spoil. Fantastic. A few random thoughts:

A lot of the leaked concept art showed up in the trailer which suggests a lot of the other art must be legit which has me excited as some of it is AMAZING.

Love the different scenery.

X-wings omg omg omg

New sith looks menacing, hope he is a constant threat and they don't drop villians like Maul after episode 1. Don't have an issue with the lightsabre, looks old or hobbled together to me!

Love the little droid, it is on a desert planet with rough terrain, makes sense to have a design like that which can run across the sand yea?

Shot of the falcon, omfg.

Everything looks so... Right.

To me, Phantom Menace's biggest issue is that it flies in the face of a lot of what A New Hope implied. I really think that Anakin and Obi-Wan should've met in the prelude to the Clone Wars, the former as a Padawan who had just finished his training and also happened to be a skilled pilot. Focusing on Anakin at such a young age was a huge mistake, and it makes everything seem a little odd with regards to a lot of interactions in the Prequel Trilogy and also with regards to Obi-Wan in A New Hope.

Ideally Anakin would have been 12 going on 13 with that teen recklessness implied.

A New Hope and the other 2 OT movies set up TONS of goal posts and Lucas actually kicked most of them through. Anakin was said to be young as Obi Wan even says "A young jedi named Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father" Now was that a lie or a half truth?

I wish there was a full list of goal posts that the OT set up because you could probably look at them all and really figure out what connective tissue needed to be in place and with that in mind the Prequels actually had a hell of a job stitching them together and telling their own story.

Cse

Banned
Was that Von Sydow's voice in the trailer?

I still think he's some ancient Sith lord, or at least someone familiar with the dark side of the force, that corrupts some young Vader acolyte (Driver).

Uhh, after going into a blind rage, feeding off his hate, and slaughtering the men, women, and children sand people it wasn't much of a leap.

Fliesen

I think all three prequels are a few strategic edits/reshoots away from being "okay" movies, but 2 or 3 more drafts from being classics. There are just fundamental problems with all three - though the basic concepts are good and with more time in development (plus a stronger writer and director) they could've been great.

i think they were made for the wrong reason.
I like how Redlettermedia put it: "Anakin Skywalker is no space jesus"

Darth Vader was a great villain and a fan favourite, which is why they based the entire prequel series about his discovery, rise and fall. Yet, darth is being "made fun of" by imperial officers as well as being bossed around by Tarkin in ANH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE

"Vader! release him!" - "as you wish..."

Vader is like GoTs hound in ANH. He's the one who does the emperor's dirty work, who goes to fetch the princess (who doesn't have any respect for him either) to get her to Tarkin. The only time he gets respect and isn't talked back is when he chokes someone to death. Even moff Jerjerrod doesn't feel like speeding up the construction of the 2nd death star until Vader informs him that the Emperor would be arriving.
But the hype around his character somehow made it into the prequel lore and all of a sudden he's part of a "prophecy", a messianic figure that causes the downfall of the galactic republic and the rise of the totalitarian empire. ...

He should have focused the Story around Kenobi or maybe Palpatine. Not Vader.

The fact that the sequels don't have this kind of baggage makes me so incredibly optimistic.
I don't blame Lucas. he let the outside world influence his creative process, he got lazy as a director and most of all, prequels are just a bitch to make.

Same goes for the Hobbit trilogy. It's "an epic trilogy" that didn't need to happen like that. We get fanservice as filler and not one good 3 hour long movie that tells the Hobbit in an equal quality that the LotR trilogy was told.

Tookay

Was that Von Sydow's voice in the trailer?

I still think he's some ancient Sith lord, or at least someone familiar with the dark side of the force, that corrupts some young Vader acolyte (Driver).
That's definitely not his voice.

And that's probably not his role either.

Giolon

Huh, that was better than I expected. The X-Wing shots were pretty sweet. I guess I'm looking forward to this now.

NekoFever

They redubbed Boba Fett with Morrison but the Stormtrooper voices are the same as in 1977.

I don't get why the clone thing is confusing to people. The OT was like 20 years after the end of the Clone Wars and this is more like 50. Do you think they have the same army? They needed a huge army quickly in order to fight the separatists so they got clones, but after that it's going to become cheaper to train up volunteers and conscripts from the general population.

Harmen

Damn, it actually looks waaay more faithful and fitting to the original trilogy than those prequels, animated series and whatnot. I am really hyped now, it does not look Disneyfied so far.

I love how Disney treats the Marvel cinematic universe so I have faith in them putting the movies in the right hands to stay true to the Star Wars vibe.

DuffDry

The saber is for merchandise potential, guys. Arguing over it based on practicality or plot purposes is borderline pointless. It's designed to be sold as a toy. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom