• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
iRT67bCUTaTn3.png

iDKzHA2eRJIHy.png

itzPjqpWvYKVA.png
I will never get tired of people saying racist shit and either prefacing their statement with/or adding a disclaimer at the end explaining how non-racist they are.

I also wonder if these same people would raise their eye-brows if the storm trooper was a blond haired white dude, since, ya know, the clones were based on a guy who isn't even fucking white. But I think we all know the answer to that...

Koriandrr

I could feel my tears falling when the theme song came on and the Millennium Falcon was spinning around. I think I took a critical hit to the nostalgia.

Druz

Since that saber has more of a long sword design I hope the saber fights are more like the original trilogy than the wire-fu crap from the prequels. I like the slow heavy swings rather than all the flipping around shit.

Slow heavy swings when they're wielding essentially a light handle. Slow swings when they're supposed to exhibit combat prowess. Yes, too much wire foo is silly but the old movie fight scenes are cringe worthy. Looks like two heavy smokers fighting with two Christmas hams.

Coreda

Its the (imo - shitty) delivery and overly-dramatic tone of it. Traits that I associate with the prequel trilogy.

Overly dramatic tone of the teaser or VO? Surely not the former, with Boyega, the droid, X-Wing and Falcon.

Having read many of the posts here and seeing the odd ones about the teaser not being like 'Star Wars they know' I wonder what image they have of SW, as there isn't much to like about the prequels as films, and ROTJ has unlikable traits, too. From the teaser it looks like the design is more in line with the OT qualities than anything seen for years.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
The lightsaber thing isn't really important on its own, but it does feel like a small failure to understand the OT. Not one they started, this is another Lucas mistake(although at least the double-bladed saber had novelty/utility going for it). In the original film Obi-Wan called it an elegant weapon, the weapon of the Jedi. Implicit in this and its usage throughout the OT is that the lightsaber is an ancient weapon that has already long ago been iterated to its ideal, minimalistic design. If not having saber-guards is an actual problem that's only just been invented, it makes the Jedi look like idiots. If it's just for show, then it's stupid for different reasons. Either way, it feels like a pointless design decision purely to look "cool."

Like I said, it's not something that will make or break the movie, but it's not something that inspires confidence either.

What, you don't think some sith do things just to look cool? LOL

Man, some of you really let small things ruin movies. What's worse is that this one thing is being extrapolated to the rest of the movie, which we haven't even seen any of, to suggest that it might suck.

Lemaitre

Banned
How many action movies are lead by a black man not named Will Smith?

It might not be new but the fact that a movie as big as this has a black lead that's not a big name actor is a big step in the right direction.

It's true that studios could argue that but you could also argue that the fact it was a black lead didn't hurt the movie. I hopeful they'll see it in a positive light.

Either way it's great to see.

Yup. Just get us more Latino's and we are golden.

All these minorities in the spotlight with Star Wars makes me mad with what Ridley Scott said recently on casting white actors in Exodus.

“I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.”

Seeing that comment made me so angry. It made me not want to watch Exodus. And made me abhor Ridley even more than I already do.

LNBL

Maybe the 2 extra lightbeams are used as accelerators.....? Adding more power to each swing to the seperate directions, so one turns of while the others stays on.

I have no idea, just imagining stuff.

Zyae

The lightsaber thing isn't really important on its own, but it does feel like a small failure to understand the OT. Not one they started, this is another Lucas mistake(although at least the double-bladed saber had novelty/utility going for it). In the original film Obi-Wan called it an elegant weapon, the weapon of the Jedi. Implicit in this and its usage throughout the OT is that the lightsaber is an ancient weapon that has already long ago been iterated to its ideal, minimalistic design. If not having saber-guards is an actual problem that's only just been invented, it makes the Jedi look like idiots. If it's just for show, then it's stupid for different reasons. Either way, it feels like a pointless design decision purely to look "cool."

Like I said, it's not something that will make or break the movie, but it's not something that inspires confidence either.

how could you even begin to assume any of this without actually seeing the movie. wtf?

It could easily be about some rogue sith dickhead that doesnt follow any of the Jedi ideals and tries to modify a saber to how he wants it.

So wait- there are people that already want the saber 'fixed' (let's all tweet Abrams!!!!) when they don't even know the reasoning behind the design yet?
Christ all mighty...

I agree with those predicting the sides are some kind of energy exhaust/release because the designer of the saber either didn't know exactly how to make it or they don't have real force powers/whatever.

I'll happily eat crow if this thing doesn't have a legitimate reason for being like that & was designed "just to look different".

Fliesen

the fact that there is no "one ideal minimalistic design" might be dictated by the fact that this Sith villain is most definitely not going to have the same swordfighting style as any of the Jedi we've seen so far might have been trained in.

There's no "one ideal minimalistic sword" either, it all depends on the fighting styles of the wielders, the wars in which they are used. The enemies you're expecting to fight. And "swords" are a pretty ancient weapon as well.

Jedi light sabers might be perfect for deflecting laser blasts, conceiling your weapon. This Light saber is most definitely also meant for a more aggressive fighting style, a "anti lightsaber lightsaber"of sorts. Also it's much more awe-inspiring and fear-inducing visual to show your enemies.

kiguel182

According to casting, there's at least two women in prominent roles. Lupita Nyongo was also cast in the film.

I didn't know that. That's better then.

"Prove" is a rough word to use in this instance. Hard to prove an opinion. That being said, I still think Revenge of the Sith is a flawed masterpiece.

You can present your side of the argument with the reasons why the movie is good and with some analysis that goes beyond "lightsabers are cool".

I could agree that Revenge of the Sith could've been a masterpiece but it still has a lot of the flaws of the other two.
I think it has some good ideas in there for sure. But it's execution it's masterpiece worthy.

trailer looks so dope. love that visually it looks nothing like the previous films but stylistically it still looks like Star Wars. Boyega and Ridley look nice, so does the new droid. im excited to see the full trailer so i get to see more of the set pieces and get morw context. btw the lightsaber is fuckin cool, could care less if its practical, its totally Star Wara.

As suggested by some in this thread:
After watching the unnamed Sith sequence a few more times, I'm not at all convinced that that actually is a lightsaber. Not only is the blade extremely unstable and erratic looking, it almost whips out when he ignites it, but it also doesn't sound at all like a lightsaber. The ignition sound is totally wrong, and it's completely missing the lightsaber hum. I think this character may have created this weapon with only the most basic notions of what a lightsaber was, and did his/her best in guessing how to construct one.

Metallix87

You can present your side of the argument with the reasons why the movie is good and with some analysis that goes beyond "lightsabers are cool".

I could agree that Revenge of the Sith could've been a masterpiece but it still has a lot of the flaws of the other two.
I think it has some good ideas in there for sure. But it's execution it's masterpiece worthy.

My argument is basically that everything wrong with Revenge of the Sith is due to either lack of vision on Lucas's part (Grievous vs. Kenobi) or having to follow the other two films (the actors, in particular). That being said, the story is still of a very high quality, especially when compared to the two prior films, and I'd argue it comes pretty darn close to matching the Original Trilogy. I think the dialogue is actually pretty stellar on the whole, which is surprising. Also, the actors end up bringing their A game, even if they're not all my ideal choices for some of those roles. I just don't think there's all that much wrong with the movie, and it has the unfortunate status of being a part of the Prequel Trilogy, which keeps people from realizing just how good it is.

Curiocity

Huh. I'm pleasantly surprised. It does look mostly pretty old school, even with the cgi. Loved seeing the X-Wings and the Falcon. They're definitely playing the "look at this fanservice while we throw in shiny silly new toys!" card, but that's to be expected. I'm in*; this movie might actually be worth a little hype. Was not prepared for that.

*...after we have a talk about dat cross hilt, because that is absurd.

Wigdogger

I think it's incredibly interesting that two of the first things you see are a black man and a woman (both relatively unknown actors), which already tells me that Abrams and Co. are looking to shake-up the usual homogenized film idea. It's great to see all of that progressive stuff mixed with the Star Wars touchstones that people want (light vs. dark; droids; ships; lightsabers, etc).

Actual props! Unknown cast! Progressive characters! Subtle tone!

It looks good.

Vol5

Is there a droid noise at the end of the bodega scene? The same droids from empire strikes back on hoth?

I will never get tired of people saying racist shit and either prefacing their statement with/or adding a disclaimer at the end explaining how non-racist they are.

I also wonder if these same people would raise their eye-brows if the storm trooper was a blond haired white dude, since, ya know, the clones were based on a guy who isn't even fucking white. But I think we all know the answer to that...

well dude sending the tweets is dumb af, and clearly doesnt know Star Wars lore. the Clone DNA broke down during the years between ep. III and ep. IV, so the Empire started recruiting HUMAN volunteers and forcing others into the storm trooper forces. so there is next to no actual clone troopers left by ep. IV which is why the storm troopers have different voices and heights are inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom