• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Possible savings of $2.50 is practically a whole game! Yeah, I can wait thanks.
If you're not gonna play it before the Steam sale, there's no reason to buy it ahead. If it still goes for $9 or worst case scenario (lol), $10, you didn't really lose anything either.

My other doubt is Sleepy Dogs vs. Binary Domain. I can't do both, since I'm doing the buy games you'll play immediately challenge. I'll probably go for Binary Domain, since it's shorter...

The base price on Steam is $50 and if they go with a standard 75% off sale it will only go down to $12.50. Just keep that in mind.
It's $40 for me, not 50. 75% would be $10, but I've seen tons of 40 bucks games go for $7.50.

Sober

Wow, Homefront's single player story is short. Incredibly short.

I thought it was a pretty mediocre shooter and it felt even lazier than CoD. At least occasionally I enjoy shooting stuff in CoD games. If THQ/Kaos were seriously trying to chase CoD with it, they should've at least upped the polish on it. Stuff like scripting felt off (regroup? wait 10 more seconds) or it was really constricted, like having to wait for everyone to finish climbing the ladder before you got to go. Felt really rough to me in some spots, gunplay is at least as boring, if not more than MOH:Warfighter and just playing it almost felt like a chore rather than a game.

Binary Domain is definitely worth it. I might just reinstall it again for a replay, since shooting them 'bots was loads of fun since they shred to bullets in ways enemies in shooters typically can't. Also shooting off limbs and having them continue to fight, or blasting off their heads and having them turn on their own. The game just nails region-based damage and has great feedback on your shots.

bigace33

Wow, Homefront's single player story is short. Incredibly short.

I thought it was a pretty mediocre shooter and it felt even lazier than CoD. At least occasionally I enjoy shooting stuff in CoD games. If THQ/Kaos were seriously trying to chase CoD with it, they should've at least upped the polish on it. Stuff like scripting felt off (regroup? wait 10 more seconds) or it was really constricted, like having to wait for everyone to finish climbing the ladder before you got to go. Felt really rough to me in some spots, gunplay is at least as boring, if not more than MOH:Warfighter and just playing it almost felt like a chore rather than a game.
lol reading this mini review makes me sad. It was one of the reasons I bought the thq bundle. don't kniw if I should even waste my time with it now.8^ (

MRORANGE

I've realized I haven't played any games on steam in the last 3 weeks :|

The last game I bought was 20 days ago.... maybe this means I am free from the tyrannical grip of Gaben?

If this is your first Winter Sale, be prepared for madness come December. If you were around for the Summer Sale, it's usually bigger than that. I'll also quote myself once again:

Thanks for the good info. Madness because there is so much content on sale or is there a lot of timed and limited daily stuff like Amazon where I have to watch the clock and try and get in on it really quick or miss out?

Dragon

Banned
I had more fun with BD than any other shooter this year.

Sleeping Dawgs is another amazingly fun game. You guys should all play it.

Salaadin

Does Steam keep copies of cloud saves on the HDD somewhere?

It looks like I just lost 5 hours and 13% of my Saints Row 3 save for some reason. Everything was synced up and fine a few hours ago. I just went to play again and all my saves are gone with everything reverted back to how it was this morning.

Im wondering if the saves are hanging around somewhere for me to grab.

MRORANGE

I must of missed it for the last two years somehow.
Hopefully there won't be anything good so i don't waste any money until the winter sale.

I think it only started last year if I recall, the only problem with the autumn sale is taht it's way to close to the winter sale (less than month) which makes it a bit pointless.

Does Steam keep copies of cloud saves on the HDD somewhere?

It looks like I just lost 5 hours and 13% of my Saints Row 3 save for some reason. Everything was synced up and fine a few hours ago. I just went to play again and all my saves are gone with everything reverted back to how it was this morning.

Im wondering if the saves are hanging around somewhere for me to grab.

Just do an explorer search for the game title, usually found in documents or appdata.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't expect another SiN episode to ever come out, but for anyone who hasn't played the first SiN episode, there's a very weird cutscene early in the game that I hope you enjoy. =P

SiN Episodes is really tragic as it had a lot of potential, but it's hard to recommend anyone getting it now. It's a quarter of an FPS campaign, you only get three weapons throughout, and I'm sad it'll never come to fruition. I liked the dynamic difficulty they were working at at the time, and it had a Horde mode before Gears 2 popularized the concept.

Salaadin

Worst case scenario uninstall/redownload. Try verify game cache first though.

Verifying didnt do anything either. My save files are listed as "last modified: 4:51 pm" which is right when I last shut it off but that actual saves are this mornings data when I load them. Its like Steam overwrote my saves with old stuff or something.

I guess I have to do all this stuff over again. Im shutting Steam Cloud off if it can somehow pull stuff like this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't expect another SiN episode to ever come out

That ship sailed years ago and the prospect is now practically non-existent rather than simply unlikely. While MumboJumbo owns the SiN IP as a result of buying Ritual and, in fact, continues to self-publish Episode 1 (plus the original game) through Steam using the Ritual name, Ritual as a separate company no longer exists, and MJ itself is focused squarely on "premium casual games".

Oreoleo

I guess I have to do all this stuff over again. Im shutting Steam Cloud off if it can somehow pull stuff like this.

As far as I know, Steam always asks what you want to do if the local saves and cloud saves don't match. It won't overwrite the local save unless you tell it to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thinking of getting that THQ deal just for SpaceMarine

I've got my eye on the Plentiful Paradox Package for the Sword of the Stars games alone. The SotS Complete + II bundle is $40 on Steam, and 75% off would take that down to $10, which is exactly what Amazon will be asking for the PPP.

Forgot to post these giveaways here! Another 15 hours or so left.

1228.jpg

header.jpg

fy2YT.jpg

How does the winter sale work?

Do they just list all of their games for the sale price and you can order at any time until the sale ends?

Or is it timed throughout the day and with limited keys to be sold where I have to pay attention and be quick on the draw to get in on the deal (like an Amazon lightning deal)?

KarmaCow

Do they just list all of their games for the sale price and you can order at any time until the sale ends?

Or is it timed throughout the day and with limited keys to be sold where I have to pay attention and be quick on the draw to get in on the deal (like an Amazon lightning deal)?

Most of the catalogue gets a discount and then there are daily deals where some games get further discounts. Usually there is some other gimmick as well. The most recent Summer sale had flash sales and community voted sales that lasted less than a day.

The number one rule of these sales it to wait until the game you want appears on a daily deal. That's usually when it gets the biggest discount.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

In past years, it has been the following:
- Almost everything goes on sale for the whole length of the sale
- In addition, 12-15 games go on especially steep sale for one-day periods during the sale.
- For the first 3 hours of the next day, yesterday's games are still available so you have a grace period.
- Once or twice during the sale, there are recap days with the best deals of previous days or weeks brought back for an encore.

This summer sale they added:
- Games on extra sale for 8 hours periods.

In past years, it has been the following:
- Almost everything goes on sale for the whole length of the sale
- In addition, 12-15 games go on especially steep sale for one-day periods during the sale.
- For the first 3 hours of the next day, yesterday's games are still available so you have a grace period.
- Once or twice during the sale, there are recap days with the best deals of previous days or weeks brought back for an encore.

This summer sale they added:
- Games on extra sale for 8 hours periods.

Thanks, sounds good. So as long as I check on it daily, I should be able to get anything I want for as cheap as it will be offered.

I'm ready to "stock up" on titles for my new PC I will be building. :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thanks, only got Bioshock 2 to go through. They email back a GFWL key, I'm guessing the rest are distributed directly through their site

I kinda wanted to see Midnight Club 2, but my order is not going through. It says I didn't fill in proper payment options... but there's no place for me to input payment info.

Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom