• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt |OT| Can you dig it?

Beat the game last night - clocked in at 5:32, which felt like the perfect length.

This is by far the best eShop game I've played. So polished and well-thought out.

Deilpo

Neo Member
I'm a bit stuck at a part, I just got through the pipe into the underworld zone. There is no red dot there I don't know where to go

edit: found it

EdgeXL

Dear friends - and I hope you don't mind me calling you that - let me express how amazed we at tiny Image & Form are to see this forum thread (or OT as @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ so kindly taught me it's called). As a formerly iOS-only dev, we have gotten used to screaming into the void and praying for attention. And here - and elsewhere - we've got people happily running forums on the game. Talk about contrast!

You're asking for follow-up on SteamWorld Dig and I'm happy to tell you that as of yesterday, thanks to the overwhelming response and a relieved sense of having a potential big hit, we decided to forge ahead on the next project in the series. SteamWorld is here to stay, and we'll stay on the 3DS.

It's very interesting to see your various completion times (if that phrase works). When we designed it, we wanted SteamWorld Dig to work for both exploration and speedruns, and it's obvious that people play in different ways. @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ, couldn't it be a good idea to set up some sort of speedrun thread, where people can post their speedrun results? And could I dare to ask you set it up? We'll gladly arrange no-nonsense prizes for competitions - as well as competitions for overall best scores (deaths, orbs, time etc). What do you guys think, can it be done?

Sorry for the wordiness. We are all elated and a bit exhausted, but incredibly happy. Please follow us on Twitter, we're @imageform - I find it very useful. I'll check back as often as I can between promocoding, interviews and what have you. Thanks for playing, we love you all.

Thank you for this lovely game. I also convinced some friends to buy it and play. I hope this proves to be a successful title. Consider me a day one customer for the next Steamworld game.

Just finished, clocking in at 6:49. Instant 3DS Top 5 material for me.

For the record:

5. Cave Story eShop
4. Fire Emblem: Awakening
3. Steamworld Dig
2. VVVVVV
1. Super Mario 3D Land

redcrayon

"Digging for three and a half hours may be fun, but, in the end, is just digging."

That's the stupidest...always has to be one reviewer. Always one.

"shooting for three hours is fun, but in the end, is just shooting"

"jumping for three hours is fun, but in the end, is just jumping"

"walking for three hours is fun, but in the end, is just walking"

It's a bizarrely simplistic criticism. While digging you are looking for danger, creating the path you'll take both going down and getting home, there is a penalty for getting stuck that increases later in the game (as you tend to be carrying more money, reminds me of Dragon Quest) and you also need to keep an eye on your resources of water and light, it's a fantastic game.

The controls being super slick and Rusty obtaining a huge amount of abilities for travel and breaking new ground, that makes periodically checking out older areas worth doing, are all lovely touches for a developer that hasn't done this kind of thing before, so many other companies struggle to make 2D control so sublime with years of practice.

scakko84

Just to know, i'm really interested in this game... Is there an infinite dig or alternate mode to kill the time when finished or is the content story-bound?

Manmedaz

Just to know, i'm really interested in this game... Is there an infinite dig or alternate mode to kill the time when finished or is the content story-bound?

No, there is nothing else than the main story part, which is why the news of another one already being on its way is rejoicing. That being said, it shouldn't stop you from buying this gem, should you love some good plateforming with precise gameplay and nice visuals.

Some said here that there are different enemies on the second playthrough, but I stopped right after beating the game yesterday, so I cannot say anything about that yet.

redcrayon

No, there is nothing else than the main story part, which is why the news of another one already being on its way is rejoicing. That being said, it shouldn't stop you from buying this gem, should you love some good plateforming with precise gameplay and nice visuals.

Some said here that there are different enemies on the second playthrough, but I stopped right after beating the game yesterday, so I cannot say anything about that yet.
Where have Image&Form been discussing a sequel? I really hope it gets one, easily my favourite eshop game so far and one of the best on the console.

Deilpo

Neo Member
Just finished the game, played 6:11. Really great little game, awesome ending boss. Really looking forward to the sequel.

Deilpo

Neo Member

You can continue to play after you've finished the main story and collect any ores you missed.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Where have Image&Form been discussing a sequel? I really hope it gets one, easily my favourite eshop game so far and one of the best on the console.

It was mentioned a post couple of pages back

The reviews has been quite positive too

8/10
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/steamworld_dig

9/10
http://www.cubed3.com/review/1294/1/steamworld-dig-nintendo-3ds-eshop.html

4/5
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/08/09/review-steamworld-dig-a-fistful-of-dirt-3ds/

10/10
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/SteamWorld+Dig/review.asp?c=52943

9/10
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/35146

cacildo

I dont wanna read a lot about the game, so ill ask it here

Is it game a linear plataformer or you do have to dig and gather stuff to make your town grow?

scakko84

You can continue to play after you've finished the main story and collect any ores you missed.

Thanks for the info guys... I was planning to buy it nevertheless, so the presence of some alternate game mode was nothing but an incentive.

Finished this last night in ~4:45. I had a ton of fun but kept imagining all the different ways the core could be expanded upon, so the sequel talk is exciting.

Quick question: is there an alternate ending? It sort of seemed like there might have been, maybe if I'd have gold starred all the categories?

Deilpo

Neo Member
Is it game a linear plataformer or you do have to dig and gather stuff to make your town grow?

Its pretty linear, there are only 2 unlockable buildings (that I got on my playthrough anyway) and you're always following something.
You'll keep working through missions. Then one mission may be too hard so you'd have to go mine a bit and get better armor, weapons, other tools then you can try again.
Theres not really a lot to do in Tumbleton besides upgrade your tools and buy items.

Man, I hope the sequel has a bigger emphasis on town building, aside from the main quest. Multiple layers, Shantae style would be awesome. Picking and choosing what kind of establishments you want built when you level up could be awesome.

redcrayon

Just finished the
second
dig site- lots of abilities really open the place up, I love the
steam punch
!

I find the digging really quite therapeutic, and spend a lot of time getting things just right so I can get up and down easily without ladders and teleporters. My mine is an obsessive layout of neat horizontal shafts 5 blocks beneath each other with vertical access shafts for quick ascent and descent, it's probably taken me an extra couple of hours just doing that :)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Dear friends - and I hope you don't mind me calling you that - let me express how amazed we at tiny Image & Form are to see this forum thread (or OT as @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ so kindly taught me it's called). As a formerly iOS-only dev, we have gotten used to screaming into the void and praying for attention. And here - and elsewhere - we've got people happily running forums on the game. Talk about contrast!

You're asking for follow-up on SteamWorld Dig and I'm happy to tell you that as of yesterday, thanks to the overwhelming response and a relieved sense of having a potential big hit, we decided to forge ahead on the next project in the series. SteamWorld is here to stay, and we'll stay on the 3DS.

It's very interesting to see your various completion times (if that phrase works). When we designed it, we wanted SteamWorld Dig to work for both exploration and speedruns, and it's obvious that people play in different ways. @MasterBalls and @SteeloDMZ, couldn't it be a good idea to set up some sort of speedrun thread, where people can post their speedrun results? And could I dare to ask you set it up? We'll gladly arrange no-nonsense prizes for competitions - as well as competitions for overall best scores (deaths, orbs, time etc). What do you guys think, can it be done?

Sorry for the wordiness. We are all elated and a bit exhausted, but incredibly happy. Please follow us on Twitter, we're @imageform - I find it very useful. I'll check back as often as I can between promocoding, interviews and what have you. Thanks for playing, we love you all.

Wow! This message + the very positive impressions in the thread = I'll buy it for sure!

I always love it when developers are humble and interacting with their fans, and not in a cynical, canned way.

troushers

Finished this last night, and immediately started a second game. Really positive impressions. Finished in 7:51 because I tried to find everything.

Of the end:
I found the boss a nice change of pace. It had some frustrating aspects, but it was a fitting end to the game. Maybe if I hadn't bought damage reduction, it would have felt differently. I guess the dev team are diablo fans, feels like a sequel will have Rusty as the new antagonist, with a family member 'following' him to different towns.

A lot of stuff came together to make this a great little game. The writing is sparse, but what there is, is very good. A couple of dialogue bits made me chuckle. The movement and action set of the character is good and only gets better. The structure is great, with the random mine and ores surrounding specifically designed arenas.

In the end, I think there is lots of different directions a sequel could take, and I'd be excited to see them. Well worth the money, a little gem.

(PS. Wish there was a hardcore, 1 death mode)

I have played a bunch of this and have got to the point where I thought I could write some impressions.

This is one of the most polished games I have played in a very long time, and fits perfectly onto 3DS alongside Nintendo developed games. I honestly mean that. The game is an absolute joy to play, the controls are brilliant, you can move Rusty around the levels exactly as would like to; his movement is excellent, how you can easily wall jump, run and jump, change direction and so on. The animation is beautiful, and YES, it runs at 60 frames per second WHICH IS REALLY IMPORTANT! I can't stress that enough, its dreamy to play and makes the difference between an awesome platformer and an alright one.

I don't know how big this game is. I have played between two and three hours roughly so far, but I don't want it to end! I am guessing it's fairly short which fits nicely with the pricing of the game. Also, although I would love for this to be epic on the scale of Super Metroid (and I honestly think it could be, or hopefully will be one day!), I wouldn't want the game's quality to drop as a result of the scale of the game going up. The age old problem huh? :)

Anyway, I am very happy that these guys have found a home on a system with controls, as something like this just wouldn't work well on a smart phone (where the developer originated on, I believe), and I really hope they stick to 3DS, or any handheld/home system!

The music is great, the characters you meet are cool, I like the teleport system, saving is done well (although I wouldn't say no to a save-anywhere function as its a handheld title, but whatever), the upgrade/shop system is balanced nicely and the upgrades/new gear is great and lots of fun (risky dynamite!) Overall the whole package is very high quality. Love it.

eXistor

I'm really quite amazed by the level of polish in this, especially the controls. This is the level of tightness I expect from Nintendo games, not an as of yet unknown developer. I hope this does very well for you guys, it really is a great game.

redcrayon

Ok, fantastic stuff, the
metal detector
technology comes in at exactly the right point in the game, just when you are aiming for the last few upgrades. Great design, I'm not too far from the end but want to keep playing!

Actually, I suspect that the game is just the right length if it leaves you wanting a bit more. I'd rather more games finished at the right time rather than padding themselves out with more stuff. Steamworld Dig always has new abilities and tools and environmental hazards just around the corner, it's felt fresh all the way through and the controls are just right.

mandiller

I just finished it in 4:11. Loved it! Well worth it if you're sitting on the sidelines. The game has a great sense of progression, from the new upgrades you can buy to little indicating telling you how far down you've dug. I look forward to a sequel.

-GJ-

I love Image & Form already, and I haven't even played the game yet. Brjann is a great guy who does great PR :).

Downloading the game as we speak, can't wait to play it.

panda21

i sort of get the impression this is vaguely rogue like? is there an aspect of trying to get deeper and deeper or something, whilst upgrading your gear? kind of like demon's souls?

wilflare

I love Image & Form already, and I haven't even played the game yet. Brjann is a great guy who does great PR :).

Downloading the game as we speak, can't wait to play it.

you need to try their first game Anthill on iOS too. it's awesome

So happy to read all the positive feedback in this thread. As someone who didn't even know this game existed until Saturday (and finished the game on Sunday), I really want as many people as possible to discover this masterpiece. Yeah I said it, masterpiece. I find the game to be flawless and furthermore, I have to urge to play through it again which is virtually never the case for me.

I won't be satisfied until I hear that the sales for Steamworld are through the roof. It really deserves it.

duckroll

i sort of get the impression this is vaguely rogue like? is there an aspect of trying to get deeper and deeper or something, whilst upgrading your gear? kind of like demon's souls?

It's not really anything like a roguelike or like Souls. It's pretty simplistic in terms of depth, and it really isn't very challenging at all. It's fun though. Each new game has a sort of randomly generated world, but there's not generation once you've started a game, so your progress is retained as you dig. Upgrades are pretty straightforward linear increments. You find extra powers in caves as you go deeper, always the same ones each time since you'll need those powers to get deeper, etc.

panda21

just had my first session and really enjoying it. theres something really satisfying about digging deeper and upgrading your equipment, and the platforming feels good.

It's not really anything like a roguelike or like Souls. It's pretty simplistic in terms of depth, and it really isn't very challenging at all. It's fun though. Each new game has a sort of randomly generated world, but there's not generation once you've started a game, so your progress is retained as you dig. Upgrades are pretty straightforward linear increments. You find extra powers in caves as you go deeper, always the same ones each time since you'll need those powers to get deeper, etc.

it does seem like when you die you drop your money and have to corpse run to get it back? although i agree its quite simple.

i'd love to see more eshop games like this, something with a zelda like vibe exploring a forest crossed with this would be really cool.

redcrayon

Just finished in 7:17, with 7 deaths, all upgrades and every last bit of metal hunted down!

Awesome game, really enjoyed it. Good ending too.

This was an enjoyable outing, I just finished it within the last hour.
Usually the whole digging thing doesn't do much for me but I gave it a shot due to positive reception.
This game was pretty addictive, often I'd not pull myself back out of the various pits until Rusty's pack was full to the brim even if it led to me stumbling around in the dark. The games length felt just about right (I finished somewhere between 3 or 4 hours) ending before the digging became too monotonous and had a nice sense of progression throughout. The side rooms were a good way to break up the standard digging with some focused challenges, In fact I wish there were a few more of them.
It all comes together as a well rounded package, solid stuff overall.

DaBoss

lol you guys should see this: https://twitter.com/dtoidniero/status/367740060264706048

dxlqf4A.png

Really interesting mix of genres. The main gameplay loop is simple and satisfying, yet the items you find keep shaking things up. I honestly expected to be upgrading my pick the whole time - didn't expect the array of gadgets that ended up revealing themselves

imageform

As you probably understand, this has *NOTHING* to do with us here at Image & Form. To me, sending out bribe letters with fake Robotican dollars indicates some kind of borderline mentality. It looks like it was sent directly from the mayor of Tumbleton in SteamWorld Dig - it's remarkable how that could even work!? And he seems to have skipped town, so there's really no one to ask. But we have through mysterious ways been able to procure a draft of the text in the letter. It reads like this:

-- start --

BRIBE LETTER, PAGE 1 / 1

Dear Sir, Madam or Genderless Automaton,

Please let me introduce myself. I am the mayor of Tumbleton, a humble mining town in dire need of expertise. Since you are rumoured to be somewhat of an entrepreneur extraordinaire I hereby request your immediate assistance!

Please accept our monetary encouragement as a token of our good will between our species. Also attached to this letter is a train ticket with a cipher that, according to our Thinkbots, will grant you access to our society if properly applied. Apparently you need to imprint this "SteamWorld Dig" cipher into that Three-Dimensional, Duplicate-Screen Contraption we understand that you own. Ah, scientists! They have the strangest notions, would you not agree?

Yours sincerely,

Ernest Nickelbottom
Mayor of Tumbleton

PS:
There is plenty more room for entrepreneurs in Tumbleton. I have enclosed more tickets, should your friends want to join in for the ride!"

-- end --

We would of course appreciate if you could spread this in social media, so that the culprit can be apprehended. We're @imageform, and you'll find SteamWorld Dig at www.facebook.com/steamworlddig

All the best for now,
Brjann

Just did a speed-run of the game. Took me one hour 21 minutes (01:21). I could probably do it in about an hour if I didn't mess up. I didn't want to waste time/minerals by upgrading my health, so I died four times.

I think I beat the game. I beat the boss thing at the end. Looks like it took 7:47. (I was taking my time, collecting and upgrading everything.)

I'm a bit confused by the ending. I wasn't paying super-close attention, but
it looked like the surface folks were saying that I was lost beneath the surface, but that someone planned to find my body. What's up? When I re-enter my save, it's as if the game knows that I've done everything [e.g., it's not telling me to go anywhere], but the characters don't.

I'm a bit confused by the ending. I wasn't paying super-close attention, but
it looked like the surface folks were saying that I was lost beneath the surface, but that someone planned to find my body. What's up? When I re-enter my save, it's as if the game knows that I've done everything [e.g., it's not telling me to go anywhere], but the characters don't.

Oh come on, have you never played Zelda or some such before? When you enter a finished save file, the game will just put you back with no context. The story is done. You can keep playing to unlock the last upgrades if you'd like.

Oh come on, have you never played Zelda or some such before? When you enter a finished save file, the game will just put you back with no context. The story is done. You can keep playing to unlock the last upgrades if you'd like.

Yeah, that's cool. And, yes, of course I've seen this happen in other games. I just didn't get any sense of closure, so I was wondering if I missed something.

Really great little game!

Is there any way to carry upgrades forward into a second playthrough?

Any word about whether there will be updates, expansions, etc.?

Top Bottom