• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair, but that doesn't mean Curry is a rarer talent than LeBron.

I think you could make the argument that Curry is a rarer talent while simultaneously believing that LeBron is better at basketball. To me, talent is strictly the skills one possesses; actual ability depends not just on talent, but on genetics. LeBron has 6 inches and 70 pounds of muscle on Steph Curry; he's going to be able to do things that Curry simply will never be able to simply because he is larger. "You can't teach height," as the old NBA maxim goes. Curry is one of the best ballhandlers and shooters the league has ever seen; he's clearly beyond LeBron in that category. But he's never going to be able to defend every position like James, regardless of how talented he is.

It's a silly argument regardless. I'm just glad we get to enjoy multiple generational talents on a regular basis. Makes the sport a lot more entertaining to watch.

FZZ

Banned
Probably making up for getting MVP last year when he didn't deserve it

He definitely does now though

That and him shakin the soul out of CP3 are my favorite Curry highlights

Chris-Paul-Skateboard.jpg

Fuckin amazing lol.

He doesn't do it enough though or he'd be almost unstoppable.

He doesn't have that killer instinct.

Don't get me wrong, he certainly picks his spots and can be aggressive as fuck but so many times I have seen a little guy on him and he won't even take him to the rack.

One of these days he will realize that he's not Magic Johnson.

I don't know how anyone could have watched this year's finals or that stretch back in 2013 or so when LeBron shot like 60% for a month and say he doesn't have killer instinct. He's finally starting to slow down after roughly 7 years as the best player alive, but he's still top 5 any given night.

beat

Every time Curry has the ball is the chance for something spectacular to happen. Besides his silky smooth awesome shooting, his handles are one of, if not the best in the entire league. I mean look at this shit:

Ezeli botching the highlight for Curry

Seriously, that was some goddamn beautiful shit, what the fuck.

Who knows when we'll see someone like this again. Appreciate what you're seeing, folks, because we're witnessing history right here.

It's funny, I would watch that clip of him torching four Clippers every now and then this summer and then in the first week of the new season he dribbles through three defenders again. If Ezeli hadn't missed, it would have been the highlight play of that game.

I don't know how anyone could have watched this year's finals or that stretch back in 2013 or so when LeBron shot like 60% for a month and say he doesn't have killer instinct. He's finally starting to slow down after roughly 7 years as the best player alive, but he's still top 5 any given night.

Simple, too many jumpers and he's not a great shooter(he's a streaky one).

Plus, his clutch factor is still iffy at best.

Yeah, he dominated for his team in the Finals but he had no other choice with that roster on the floor.

haha...from the comments section.

dammit i told dave joerger to blow on the cartridge but noooooooooo

https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/3rdk2i/hi_warriors_fans_memphian_here_lets_talk/

Within our state of Tennessee, our city of Memphis is sort of the black sheep. We're the most liberal, we're the most racially diverse, and we have a lot of crime. We're a lot like Oakland in that way, our two cities aren't really all that different. Within the Bible Belt, we stick out like a sore thumb.
But at heart, we're still a southern town. We're a humble place, with good ol' fried cookin' and lots of hospitality. We'll gladly tow you out of a ditch or greet you with a smile at the local grocery. Overall, we're nice to everyone and we mean well.
Which brings me to last night.
Clearly, we've upset you. I'm not sure how. If I had to guess, I would speculate that perhaps it goes back to last season during the playoffs. There was a point where the Grizzlies were up 2 games to 1 over the Warriors. I remember after Game 3, Steph Curry sat there looking like this [1] . A lot of people here in Memphis were happy. They thought that look meant that the Warriors were despondent, that we somehow had the series won. I knew better. I recognized that as the distant, thousand-yard-stare of a man plotting murder. And lo and behold, the next 3 games were indeed vicious muggings and my Memphis Grizzlies were bounced from the playoffs.
Fine. Clearly, we had offended Mighty Viking Space Lord Steph Curry and for that, we had to pay the price. We had it coming. Deep down, we understand this.
But I hoped it would have ended there. Especially after your team went on to win the NBA championship. I had hoped the slate had been wiped clean.
Then last night happened.
All I can say is, I'm sorry. We're sorry. I realize we should have apologized sooner, even if I'm not entirely sure what we did to upset you. Whatever it is, we were probably wrong and we're truly sorry for it.
We have 3 more games left against you this season, including one next week. I have hope that we can play this game like gentlemen and that the relentless powerfucking we experienced last night won't be repeated.
TL;DR - Please stop being mean to us. :(

Simple, too many jumpers and he's not a great shooter(he's a streaky one).

Plus, his clutch factor is still iffy at best.

Yeah, he dominated for his team in the Finals but he had no other choice with that roster on the floor.

LeBron has become a great shooter (from 3 even) over the past 3 years. His numbers from deep were comparable to Durant's the last two full seasons they've played.

Putting a bunch of Knicks scrubs on your back for 6 games (averaging >45 mpg) against an obviously superior team seems like killer instinct to me. Iggy won finals mvp largely because he made it difficult for LeBron to put up triple doubles, and LeBron was probably the closest in 40+ years to getting mvp in a loss.

Jonm1010

Banned
That's the new dilemma with big men.

Isn't it kinda both?

Curry represents the epitome of the guard friendly way the league has moved too and Davis represents the epitome of the way big men are moving toward in the new NBA.

If you are going to build your franchise around a guard you are taking Curry. If you are going to build your team around a bigger player you are taking Davis.

It will be interesting to see in a few years which model is ultimately more successful. Which model in retrospect is the better avenue to take.

Davis has had a slow start but if he reaches his potential he really could become the perfect model for todays NBA game. Guard skills, high efficiency big man and able to guard pretty much anyone. The potential of a final form Anthony Davis is pretty crazy.

Isn't it kinda both?

Curry represents the epitome of the guard friendly way the league has moved too and Davis represents the epitome of the way big men are moving toward in the new NBA.

If you are going to build your franchise around a guard you are taking Curry. If you are going to build your team around a bigger player you are taking Davis.

It will be interesting to see in a few years which model is ultimately more successful. Davis has had a slow start but if he reaches his potential he really could become the perfect model for todays NBA game. Guard skills, high efficiency big man and able to guard pretty much anyone. The potential of a final form Anthony Davis is pretty crazy.

I don't think there are many GMs that would take Curry over Davis. The guy's only 22 and he's already a MVP candidate. His combination of size and skill is insane.

It's not a double dribble because he was picking up the rebound

The full video makes it a lot more clear. That streamable link starts as the ball is bouncing up into his hands, which makes it look like he dribbled it up that way, as opposed to just gathering the ball off the floor.

bionic77

The average fan and the league is always a little behind what is actually happening.

I have no idea if Curry can sustain this because he is taking and making insane shots and making it look easy. Been watching basketball for 30 years and I have never seen anyone come close to his ability to score from long range.

Curry is the best player on the offensive side of the ball on the planet. I think you could also make a strong case for him being the best player in the world seeing as how he destroys the regular defense and opens up everything for the rest of his team. He got tight in a few games in the playoffs last year (normal for the first run) and GS generally looked like shit whenever he was not leading them on offense. I do wonder if he can keep this up though long term.

Curry is legit doing his best to get me back to basketball. What an incredibly fun player to watch. I agree with the real life walking 2K player sentiment. Lawd have mercy.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Some of his shots and plays...at times it's like he solved some secret math equation of basketball that others don't even know exist.

Fjordson

Some people seem reluctant to say it, but I think he's the greatest shooter the game's ever seen.

Ray Allen has more career made 3 pointers obviously, but that's really just a product of time imo. Watching Steph in his prime right now, I don't think anyone's shot it like him. And the numbers bear that out.

Ding II

Someone on the Golden State of Mind Warrior blog recently posted a link to this vid. Very pretty. I'm guessing that the "Phantom Cam" is a fancy high-speed camera, but I don't actually know. Definitely a double dribble there, not sure why it wasn't called. Maybe you are allowed to re-gather after a collision like that?

(Poor Memphis. They seem like a very nice team, and I don't believe the Warriors hold any ill will towards them.)

Some people seem reluctant to say it, but I think he's the greatest shooter the game's ever seen.

Ray Allen has more career made 3 pointers obviously, but that's really just a product of time imo. Watching Steph in his prime right now, I don't think anyone's shot it like him. And the numbers bear that out.

I'm a Celtics fan who got to watch Ray and is surrounded by Bird lovers. I had no issue proclaiming Curry as the greatest shooter ever before last season even started. Yes even when he was only like three or four seasons in I had never seen anyone shoot the kind of shots he was shooting at the efficiency he was shooting them at. He's always been so ridiculous with his shot.

DominoKid

Reluctant for what? He's comfortably the best. Steph shoot better off the dribble than most people do wide open standing still.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So really, there have only been 13 games. This season is a marathon, not a sprint. And there's a whole lot of basketball to be played, but somehow this dude keeps pulling shit off. He had a relatively bad game against the Clippers in a huge game for both teams last night - he got in foul trouble early, was missing some shots, and had a few ugly turnovers - he still drops 40 (in 38 minutes), shoots 50% from the field, leads team with 11 rebounds, and gets the W with clutch 4th quarter performance.

Dude is on another level. And it kind of sucks because Westbrook, Drummond, and Griffin are all having incredible seasons so far.

Witnessing greatness. Look at these fucking highlights.

Miracle

Greatest shooter of all time and best shooter I have ever seen.

Curry is freaking insane. I don't know how it's possible to be as good of a shooter as he is. He really is like a walking 2K demigod player.

Curry is hot now but he's mostly been playing scrub teams. Let's wait before crowning him.

Greatest shooter of all time and best shooter I have ever seen.

Curry is freaking insane. I don't know how it's possible to be as good of a shooter as he is. He really is like a walking 2K demigod player.

Steve Nash and Ray Allen would like to have a word...

Miracle

Steve Nash, Steve Kerr, Larry Bird and Ray Allen would like to have a word...

I think even Kerr himself would shake his head at the bolded.

I've seen those guys play too growing up but Curry is in his own league. He is his own tier above those guys it's not even funny.

Which is crazy to say but it's just true. Curry is his own planet out there. And my best friend who is a die hard Knicks fan is still to this day upset that the Knicks were ONE pick away from drafting him years ago. He even cried on that draft day when the Warriors picked him lol. I wonder if most other Knicks fans felt that way too.

I think even Kerr himself would shake his head at the bolded.

I've seen those guys play too growing up but Curry is in his own league. He is his own tier above those guys it's not even funny.

Which is crazy to say but it's just true. Curry is his own planet out there. And my best friend who is a die hard Knicks fan is still to this day upset that the Knicks were ONE pick away from drafting him years ago. He even cried on that draft day when the Warriors picked him lol. I wonder if most other Knicks fans felt that way too.

I'm usually not one for hyperbole but it's pretty accurate to say he's one of a kind. I grew loving Nash and Ray but neither of them could come of a screen 30 ft from the basket and hit a 3 with Curry's accuracy
It's becoming ridiculous but he basically commands a hard hedge or a switch/doublet team as soon as he comes across half court and he gets a screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom