• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Not sure I agree with Curry not being a great athlete. All signs point to the opposite the way he never stops moving off the ball and can blow by people. Maybe he's not like a Westbrook in that regard, but he looks incredibly well-conditioned to me.

Victor Oladipo from the Magic had his hands on his knees halfway through the first quarter last night. He looked exhausted from chasing Steph around.

Loki

Count of Concision
Not sure I agree with Curry not being a great athlete. Dude never stops moving off the ball and is super quick on it. He seems to be incredibly well conditioned.

Victor Oladipo from the Magic had his hands on his knees halfway through the first quarter last night. He looked exhausted from chasing Steph around.

I'm talking a great run and jump athlete, which he certainly is not. He doesn't have great quickness/speed, nor good hops. What he does have is great coordination and good endurance - but that only takes you so far. His endurance is also helped by playing only one side of the ball.

Fjordson

I'm talking a great run and jump athlete, which he certainly is not. He doesn't have great quickness/speed, nor good hops. What he does have is great coordination and good endurance - but that only takes you so far. His endurance is also helped by playing only one side of the ball.
Oh boy lol.

Nah, not gonna get sucked in.

Trey

curry is a fantastic athlete. His core, his hips, are supremely strong. And he's well conditioned in the ways that contribute to a long career, barring something catastrophic. He won't have the same wear and tear on him that a LeBron or Westbrook will have to contend with.

Anth0ny

Curry ain't catching Jordan. He's already 27 years old. Has maybe 5 years left in his prime if I'm being generous.

this is bullshit, but if true that would still probably mean 7 straight titles and 7 straight mvps

because barring some colossal meltdown this warriors team will probably dominate like the 90s bulls

the scary thing is steph probably has more than 5 years left in his prime.

Fjordson

Again, I'm talking about him in comparison to guys like Jordan and LBJ, who were all-time great defenders. Curry may be an average/good defender, but he isn't a game-changer on that end like those guys were, nor does he expend the same energy there.
That's fair.

Also, I defend Steph as a biased Warriors fan, but I don't he think he will catch Jordan.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Again, I'm talking about him in comparison to guys like Jordan and LBJ, who were all-time great defenders. Curry may be an average/good defender, but he isn't a game-changer on that end like those guys were, nor does he expend the same energy there.

LBJ all-time great defender? lol

My posts were predicated on ONLY Curry (not his whole team) being transported to that era.

Again, if we transport Curry in a vacuum 25-30 years ago, he wouldn't have that spacing because no one (besides himself) was shooting that much or that well from deep. So yes, the lanes would be packed, you'd have multiple big men inside, and his primary defender would be able to play him as a shooter, and would do a much better job of it than defenders today due to handchecking etc. (plus, again, defenders today can't play him strictly as a shooter for reasons previously mentioned).

If you want to believe that Curry - not a great athlete and only 6'3" in size, is going to A) get in the lane as frequently as he can today, and B) finish over legit bigs like DRob/Dream/Shaq/Mutombo/Zo etc. at a 65%+ clip like he does today, then that's on you. But it's a fantasy. Again, there's a reason no player under 6'6" was dominant in the paint back then besides hyper athletes like Jordan, Drexler etc. Curry would have next to no inside game back then, and teams would play him as a shooter. 23-26 pts/6-7 ast/60-63% TS best case scenario for him. Still an all time great, but none of the hyperbole we see today.
Zeke averaged 20 ppg with an offensive game that consisted of dribble penetration and mid range jumpers. The three point shot wasnt even really in his arsenal. He was 6 ft.

Steph will have an impact on the game in that he will influence the generation behind him. There are a lot more players that have Steph's body frame than, say, LeBron's so it's a role and a game a ton of up and coming players will strive to model themselves after.

In my life, I have seen a few players absolutely change the game:

KAJ - Skyhook was unguardable
Magic at the PG position - a 6'9 guard? GTFOOH.
Jordan - athletic wing that was the next evolution of Dr. J. In a no zone league, no one could guard him, one on one.
Shaq - They had to change the rules for him
Iverson - his style of play at the PG position and to a lesser degree his unapologetic attire and tattoos

then you get to LeBron who was the natural extension of Magic and Kobe who was influenced by Jordan. Neither changed the game.

Steph Curry is doing shit I have never seen in my life. Dude is flatout unguardable past the halfcourt line. It's nuts. There are gonna be a LOT of kids growing up styling their game after him, not LeBron. A lot will fail but he is putting his own stamp on the game for sure.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Again, if we transport Curry in a vacuum 25-30 years ago, he wouldn't have that spacing because no one (besides himself) was shooting that much or that well from deep. So yes, the lanes would be packed, you'd have multiple big men inside, and his primary defender would be able to play him as a shooter, and would do a much better job of it than defenders today due to handchecking etc. (plus, again, defenders today can't play him strictly as a shooter for reasons previously mentioned).

I think you're overstating things.

Curry could still get a ton of spacing back then because of how easy it was to iso due to the illegal defense rule. What makes Curry particularly special is his ability to consistently shoot well from long range in high volume off the dribble. Handchecking will have some effect yes, but I don't think it will be that huge a factor.

And if you decide you just have to double him as soon as you see the iso developing or because he blows by his man and you don't want to leave an open 3 or midrange shot, you then create that extra space as defenders try to rotate and then either the paint isn't as packed anymore as guys move out to front, or if you choose to keep the paint stacked you leave the corners open for assisted 3s or the wings open for midrange shots. So no, you're not going to just see the paint constantly stacked with 3-4 bigs. Would Curry still be that efficient at the rim? Maybe not, but his floaters definitely would translate to that era and if he just earns more fouls instead he's an elite FT shooter so it's not like hia scoring would necessarily suffer greatly.

And again, it's not like Curry is some small frail guy, he's as big (if not bigger) as other PGs like Payton, Hardaway, etc. Those guys all managed to drive to the hoop and still finish effectively despite the big scary physical 80s and 90s defenses you keep touting.

I lived through that entire Magic/Bird/Jordan era, it's not as clampdown as you're making it out to be.

With the way the game is constantly evolving, I don't think anyone's going to be able to catch Jordan.

Not necessarily...who knows, maybe some kid gets inspired by Curry, focuses on efficient shooting and handles, then turns out to be a physical specimen who can do what prime Jordan did, but with Curry's ballhandling and shooting ability.

bionic77

Steph will have an impact on the game in that he will influence the generation behind him. There are a lot more players that have Steph's body frame than, say, LeBron's so it's a role and a game a ton of up and coming players will strive to model themselves after.

Jordan - athletic wing that was the next evolution of Dr. J. In a no zone league, no one could guard him, one on one.
Iverson - his style of play at the PG position and to a lesser degree his unapologetic attire and tattoos

then you get to LeBron who was the natural extension of Magic and Kobe who was influenced by Jordan. Neither changed the game.

Steph Curry is doing shit I have never seen in my life. Dude is flatout unguardable past the halfcourt line. It's nuts. There are gonna be a LOT of kids growing up styling their game after him, not LeBron. A lot will fail but he is putting his own stamp on the game for sure.
You forgot Steve Nash.

Everyone tries to play like his team these days.

XiaNaphryz

You forgot Steve Nash.

The big problem with SSOL and Nelly's run and gun smallball was the inability to be elite defensively. So in that sense, teams aren't trying to play like them.

Pace and space style offense definitely has had an effect though.

You forgot Steve Nash.

Mark Price is the predecessor to the run and gun sharpshooting point guard. It was Mark Price who started splitting the pick and roll with dribble penetration, Mark Price who was firing off bullet passes at full sprint, and Mark Price who could stop on a dime and pull up for a triple.

bionic77

The big problem with SSOL and Nelly's run and gun smallball was the inability to be elite defensively. So in that sense, teams aren't trying to play like them.

Pace and space style offense definitely has had an effect though.
You can change the game without winning a title.

Which the Suns would have if the Spurs did not bait Amare and co onto the court and get suspended.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Yup basically this. Steph is completely changing the way the game is played. And no team in the league is prepared to deal with him much less the ridiculous team built around him. Before you always wanted a top 4 or 5 that could post up since you wanted high % shots around the basket.

Steph and the Warriors have completely turned that philosophy upside down. Steph in particular is shooting Js and 3s at absurd percentages. And yeah he's also proving you can make it in the league despite not being a genetic freak like LeBron. The next generation is going to have insane handles to go along with a silky J.

Yup basically this. Steph is completely changing the way the game is played. And no team in the league is prepared to deal with him much less the ridiculous team built around him. Before you always wanted a top 4 or 5 that could post up since you wanted high % shots around the basket.

Steph and the Warriors have completely turned that philosophy upside down. Steph in particular is shooting Js and 3s at absurd percentages. And yeah he's also proving you can make it in the league despite not being a genetic freak like LeBron. The next generation is going to have insane handles to go along with a silky J.

Steph and the Warriors are what D'Antoni thought he was making with 7 seconds or less.

He just never incorporated defense.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Steph and the Warriors are what D'Antoni thought he was making with 7 seconds or less.

He just never incorporated defense.

Lol yeah, I remember everyone thought their teams would never work and they didn't because they never played a lick of D. Now the Warriors are making it work because they actually play D.

I'm still in shock at how unstoppable they are. And I still find it hilarious that Steph can jack up asshole 3s and hit them with such regularity that you can't even call it an asshole 3 anymore. Like anyone else in the league that jacks up 28+ footers at the start of the shot clock would get benched.

Palocca

Not necessarily...who knows, maybe some kid gets inspired by Curry, focuses on efficient shooting and handles, then turns out to be a physical specimen who can do what prime Jordan did, but with Curry's ballhandling and shooting ability.

True. Never say never.

Lol yeah, I remember everyone thought their teams would never work and they didn't because they never played a lick of D. Now the Warriors are making it work because they actually play D.

I'm still in shock at how unstoppable they are. And I still find it hilarious that Steph can jack up asshole 3s and hit them with such regularity that you can't even call it an asshole 3 anymore. Like anyone else in the league that jacks up 28+ footers at the start of the shot clock would get benched.

The best part is old heads like Chuck and Shaq just talk about laying the wood if he drives. He drives when you try to stay home on the 3 so by the time they would lay the wood, the play is over.

Yeah Chuck...lay the wood on a guy hitting a Fuck You 3 from 30 feet. LOL.

LBJ all-time great defender? lol

Are you for real? LOL

Nowadays LBJ pick and chooses his spots to save himself for the playoffs. This guy is so versatile he can play all 5 positions if needed... Or do you forget when LBJ just shutdown D-Rose at ease when needed during the 2010-2011 playoffs ?

XiaNaphryz

Deadspin just posted a compilation clip of all of Curry's made shots from 28+ feet out (at least according to the official NBA shot data, some of them seem a tad closer in):

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/heres-a-video-of-35-times-stephen-curry-hit-a-shot-from-1761556113

yGB9eQw.jpg

DerZuhälter;196823939 said:
So I missed all the Curry hype.

Watch the vid at the above link. That's just a small view of the insanity.

Palocca

I'm talking a great run and jump athlete, which he certainly is not. He doesn't have great quickness/speed, nor good hops.

I'd argue the opposite. Steph's fundamentals are what's going to make him a long lasting player. He has great court vision, has a beautiful jumper, insane dribbling skills, and can pass extremely well. Even when his athleticism goes away, he'll still be able to make a great impact. Look at someone like Dwight Howard and his downward trend: an athletic freak with weak fundamentals. If the dude developed more of a post game, he'd still be elite.

You know those chase down blocks everyone gushes over when LBJ does them?

Scottie Pippen made a living on those.

I'm just disputing the fact he scuffed at LBJ defense not being all time great. The dude influences the game on both sides of the ball.

I'd argue the opposite. Steph's fundamentals are what's going to make him a long lasting player. He has great court vision, has a beautiful jumper, insane dribbling skills, and can pass extremely well. Even when his athleticism goes away, he'll still be able to make a great impact. Look at someone like Dwight Howard and his downward trend: an athletic freak with weak fundamentals. If the dude developed more of a post game, he'd still be elite.

Dwight is a fraud.

It's sad because he had all the physical gifts/ tools to be successful and had Mchale and Olajuwon at his disposal. Dwight is the last of a dying archaic breed of centers. This new wave of towns, Okafor is the future on today's game.

otapnam

Are you for real? LOL

Nowadays LBJ pick and chooses his spots to save himself for the playoffs. This guy is so versatile he can play all 5 positions if needed... Or do you forget when LBJ just shutdown D-Rose at ease when needed during the 2010-2011 playoffs ?

Lbj 5 yrs ago isnt necessarily lbj of today.

I'm just disputing the fact he scuffed at LBJ defense not being all time great. The dude influences the game on both sides of the ball.

LeBron's defense is good but quantifiable.

LBJ generally has a mismatch at the position he is guarding (in his favor) because of his size. He can guard the 5 but rarely does. Mostly everyone 1-4 on an opposing team is a mouse in the house for him, however...when he matched up with Kawhi Leonard in the Finals, the outcome wasn't so good for him.

bionic77

Lebron became a legit great defender for a few years with the Heat. You can't dispute that. People tend to exaggerate his ability to guard all 5 positions. He could do it but against an elite center (if such a thing existed) or PG he would get exposed eventually (see Tony Parker game 1 Finals before he got hurt). That is not a knock on him. That is true of everyone. People said the same things about Pippen who was a better defender but he could not defend a legit center either. He did shut down elite PGs though...

Lbj 5 yrs ago isnt necessarily lbj of today.
His D is still serviceable enough but like I said he does pick his spot nowadays, Miami were his best years.
LeBron's defense is good but quantifiable.

LBJ generally has a mismatch at the position he is guarding (in his favor) because of his size. He can guard the 5 but rarely does. Mostly everyone 1-4 on an opposing team is a mouse in the house for him, however...when he matched up with Kawhi Leonard in the Finals, the outcome wasn't so good for him.

Leonard's length is a problem, if he can be a little bit more assertive on the offensive end he's gonna be a beast ( he's almost there but not quite yet) extremely underrated imo.

RoKKeR

Deadspin just posted a compilation clip of all of Curry's made shots from 28+ feet out (at least according to the official NBA shot data, some of them seem a tad closer in):

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/heres-a-video-of-35-times-stephen-curry-hit-a-shot-from-1761556113

yGB9eQw.jpg

Watch the vid at the above link. That's just a small view of the insanity.

Just absolutely insane.

The craziest thing about Curry to me is just how completely effortless it looks. His shooting action just looks so relaxed and borderline soft, but he produces reliable power and accuracy that, well, lets him do that.

Amazing stuff.

Just absolutely insane.

The craziest thing about Curry to me is just how completely effortless it looks. His shooting action just looks so relaxed and borderline soft, but he produces reliable power and accuracy that, well, lets him do that.

Amazing stuff.

All the kewl kids online call him...Steph-ortless.

Crisco

Banned
There's just not much you can do with a guy who can shoot, pass, and handle like Curry. Combined with a team perfectly built to complement him, he's literally unstoppable.

Feep

Banned
The league's going to extend the 3 point line out to 35 feet. Thanks Steph.
You know this would give Steph an even larger advantage over the rest of the league, right? It would take him from unstoppable to suspend league operations because why bother.

benjipwns

Banned
This is wrong. You read the stat chart incorrectly. 187 3PM and 586 3PA were the overall average of each team in the league. The Denver Nuggets alone took over 1,000 3-pointers in 1991.
shhh shhhh i can't hear you lalalala

i can't believe i fucked that up so bad lol

Servbot24

Banned

Ok so your claim is that 99% of the league only plays offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom