• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Curry made that ridiculous game winner and I mentioned a similar game winner by Jackson, here's the top 10 plays from NBA Action during the 1992-1993 season.

The game winner is nr. 1, but I'm more impressed by the Shaq dunk and the Chris Mullin over the head flip. Especially because Mullin was a lefty and he shoots that one with his right. Mullin and Hardaway seemed to do that every game back then. Really fun team to watch, just like the current Warriors team. Unfortunately for them the league was filled with big players who could play, so having two great perimeter players wasn't enough.

https://youtu.be/DdCg1kWtopI

I'd say Steph and Kyrie are better ballhanders just due to the amount of moves they have and their creativity, but AI's crossover
carry
was more deadly than anything in their arsenals. He was just too quick.

Nah, Iverson's crossover was his go to move, but Steph has multiple ankle-breakers and is a better shooter. The quickness is close, and Curry has a faster release. It's not really close. Iverson was a great guard, but crossover or not, he'd have hot and cold streaks that lessened his overall effectiveness. You could back off AI on an off night.

Can't ever do that with Curry.

First Kobe was the greatest, then LBJ...is Curry next? None of them probably are, but there's no point to make that comment until their career is finished.

Part of the instant news cycle. Great as Curry is playing this year, he's still behind Kobe and MJ's highest scoring seasons--and each of them was playing 3 or 4 on 1 most nights.

But to that bolded part: There is a 6 time MVP of the league who won 6 titles, who for some weird reason has been missing from the GOAT conversation for years. Until this year, when both SI and ESPN ranked him second all time. And that's where he belongs, if not at nr. 1. He dominated both Wilt and Hakeem, and didn't in an era where there were no charter flights. He was the Finals MVP in 1971 and 1985. That's longevity for you.

Kareem can easily make a case for being the GOAT.

On that note, Jordan never lost a playoff series where his team had home court advantage. And between 1990 and 1998 when he was in uniform, Bulls had zero 3-game losing streaks. That to me is the most amazing stat about Jordan.

Somewhat. A lot of that is Phil's coaching philosophy, winning 40 games before losing 20, no 3 game losing streaks, win game 1, win entire series, etc. I miss Phil.

And this is to take nothing away from him, but the right mix has to be there for that to occur.

Cappa

Banned
Jeremy Lin got much more mainstream publicity just a few years ago.
I don't know about that if you mean specifically just in the United states and a few Asian countries than maybe.

As for worldwide coverage... Definitely not. People know of steph curry in Europe. The average Joe has no idea who Jeremy Lin is

El Topo

I don't know about that if you mean specifically just in the United states and a few Asian countries than maybe.

As for worldwide coverage... Definitely not. People know of steph curry in Europe. The average Joe has no idea who Jeremy Lin is

The average Joe in Europe has no idea whatsoever who Curry is. Same with Lin.

Cappa

Banned
Steph Curry is (currently) the most popular American athlete in the world. What exactly are you talking about?

This is a bit of over exaggeration

The average Joe in Europe has no idea whatsoever who Curry is. Same with Lin.
Steph curry highlights are on every sports segment on Spanish news. People have no idea who he plays for but know his feats.

If you don't watch sports or the news than yeah I'd agree with you.

El Topo

Steph curry highlights are on every sports segment on Spanish news. People have no idea who he plays for but know his feats.

If you don't watch sports or the news than yeah I'd agree with you.

If I went through town here, not in Spain, and asked a hundred people about Steph Curry, I'd be lucky to find one or two that have heard of him. I guess it depends on how big basketball is.
Just to be clear, still more likely than to find someone here who heard of Lin.

Steph Curry phenomenon is strictly confined in the sports world. To compare it to the mainstream coverage Jeremy Lin received is laughable. It was much more than just a guy playing basketball really well.

RibMan

Is he really?

There's not a single American athlete that's being talked about as much as he is right now. Serena's grand slam run was the last "the world is watching" moment. The NFL has a joke of a presence overseas, so although Cam Newton's 'dab' went global, he wasn't able to draw in the interest and attention in the same way Curry has done.

Globally, Steph Curry is the face of American sports. What people don't realize (or refuse to admit) is that Steph Curry is exciting in the way Jordan was exciting. He's superhuman on the court and a human off the court. That's a recipe for headlines, covers, endorsements, appearances, you name it.

Cappa

Banned
There's not a single American athlete that's being talked about as much as he is right now. Serena's grand slam run was the last "the world is watching" moment. The NFL has a joke of a presence overseas, so although Cam Newton's 'dab' went global, he wasn't able to draw in the interest and attention in the same way Curry has done.

Globally, Steph Curry is the face of American sports. What people don't realize (or refuse to admit) is that Steph Curry is exciting in the way Jordan was exciting. He's superhuman on the court and a human off the court. That's a recipe for headlines, covers, endorsements, appearances, you name it.
Being talked about is different than being recognizable.

Out of all the current us athletes people worldwide still recognize Serena Williams tiger Woods lebron James Kobe Bryant before steph curry.

He's not a household name..... Yet. Is he being talked about sure. But let's not go crazy and call him the most recognizable us athlete at the moment

Out of all the current us athletes people worldwide still recognize Serena Williams tiger Woods lebron James Kobe Bryant before steph curry.

He's not a household name..... Yet. Is he being talked about sure. But let's not go crazy and call him the most recognizable us athlete at the moment

Well he said popular.. Serena is probably the best known but she's not well liked.

I'm a big Bball guy living in europe and nobody ever asked me about LeBron or Kobe but i get asked about Steph all the time. Annectodal evidence for sure but dude is everywhere.

Cappa

Banned
Well he said popular.. Serena is probably the best known but she's not well liked.

I'm a big Bball guy living in europe and nobody ever asked me about LeBron or Kobe but i get asked about Steph all the time. Annectodal evidence for sure but dude is everywhere.
He said the face of American sports. People ask about steph because no one outside of the US knows who he is. People don't ask about lebron or Kobe or tiger or Serena because they are household names.

Step is being talked about because he's on every news reel highlight but people are just now coming to know him. If they win the championship and be continues to have this incredible run for seasons than yeah he'll get there sooner than later.

jayhawker

Part of the instant news cycle. Great as Curry is playing this year, he's still behind Kobe and MJ's highest scoring seasons--and each of them was playing 3 or 4 on 1 most nights.

Per game stats are the worst way to evaluate basketball. If you want to evaluate scoring, look at O rtg and usage % or, well, almost anything besides per game stats.

He said the face of American sports. People ask about steph because no one outside of the US knows who he is. People don't ask about lebron or Kobe or tiger or Serena because they are household names.

Step is being talked about because he's on every news reel highlight but people are just now coming to know him. If they win the championship and be continues to have this incredible run for seasons than yeah he'll get there sooner than later.

LeBron is far from a household name.
Kobe got known as the next MJ, Steph has the potential to become the next true global star after MJ.

Cappa

Banned
LeBron is far from a household name.
Kobe got known as the next MJ, Steph has the potential to become the next true global star after MJ.
I'm not going to argue this as I can only speak from my own experience. I lived in the US my whole life and I've been living in spain for the last two years.

People know who lebron James is here. People are only findinf about steph curry now. He will get there eventually but steph curry is far from being the face of American sports to the rest of the world.

I'm not going to argue this as I can only speak from my own experience. I lived in the US my whole life and I've been living in spain for the last two years.

People know who lebron James is here. People are only findinf about steph curry now. He will get there eventually but steph curry is far from being the face of American sports to the rest of the world.

well you went from the number 1 basketball country to (maybe) the number 2 basketball country.

RibMan

Just because an athlete is recognizable =/= people investing in that athlete. LeBron, Serena, Kobe, etc. -- all of these people are able to stop traffic overseas, but right now, none of them are commanding the TV, internet, radio, and word of mouth in the same way Curry is. If you actually want to argue recognizabilty, technically, Caitlyn Jenner is more deserving of that title right now.

He's the face of American sports in the same way Taylor Swift is the face of American music in the same way the PS4 is the face of console gaming. Curry will be a household name (overseas) in due time. His religious faith, his wife's career, his daughter, and his family values are already making their way into congregations, workplaces, and casual settings.

Steph isn't even that well known in the US. Casual fans are the slowest to grab onto trends. Some of my friends who proclaim to be basketball fans don't even know the Warriors play in Oakland.

It will take a while more before he reaches Kobe and LeBron status in the general public. Blake Griffin is probably more recognizable thanks to his Kia sponsorship.

vern

Anecdotally, the first three years I lived in China every Chinese dude would ask me about lebron and/or Kobe. Since the Warriors title last year, and even more so this year, every Chinese dude asks me about steph curry. His popularity in China is definitely increasing and I would say he is the most talked about, if not the most well known current basketball player out here.

Steph Curry is (currently) the most popular American athlete in the world. What exactly are you talking about?

Is he really?

Hard to measure in a global context, but Curry's jersey is number one in sales amongst NBA players so he is definitely high profile on this side of the pond. And NBA superstars tend to be among the most recognizable in terms of sports celebrities.

Since he's going to be competing in the Olympics this year, this is a good time for his global profile to expand.

Fjordson

According to Darren Rovell of ESPN, Curry has the top selling jersey in 47 states. Except for:

Ohio (Lebron)
Oklahoma (Durant)
Delaware (Kobe lol)

He's definitely the new face of the NBA in America. Now just a matter of how he and Under Armour can grow his global brand.

Per game stats are the worst way to evaluate basketball. If you want to evaluate scoring, look at O rtg and usage % or, well, almost anything besides per game stats.

Points per game is a fine way to evaluate a scoring guard; the O rtg and usage rates will correlate to when they have the ball and what they do with it; however, they don't always take into account the whys--such as "My point guard is Smush Parker, which means I will handle the rock more because I am a better decision maker", which can result in more turnovers and affect the 2 stats you quoted.

And let's not get off the overall point--Kobe and MJ have higher scoring seasons than Curry and did it against a tougher crowd, which also isn't accounted for in the ratings you mentioned.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
And let's not get off the overall point--Kobe and MJ have higher scoring seasons than Curry and did it against a tougher crowd, which also isn't accounted for in the ratings you mentioned.

It's been argued that it was easier to score in MJ's environments actually than in the current one due to zone defense. Even MJ has admitted he would not have been able to score like he did in his prime under the current rules.

From back in 2001:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-04-01/sports/0104010375_1_defense-recommendations-nba

The subject was defense in the NBA, and Michael Jordan was speaking, although more about offense, especially his. We know few defenses could do anything about that.

But there was one that might be bothersome, the zone defense. It was the topic du jour at last month's All-Star Game, and Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game. Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.

So now, perhaps the Michael Jordan era finally is over. A select committee on rules recommended last week that the NBA eliminate illegal-defense guidelines, which effectively would allow teams to play any defense, including a zone. The proposals also include a defensive three-second rule to prevent teams from stationing a big center, like Dikembe Mutombo, at the basket all game.

Jag

LeBron held the mantle as the current generation's GOAT for many years. Just as Kobe did and MK before him. Lebron's time on top is probably ending faster because of Curry. This finals will be very interesting.

LeBron held the mantle as the current generation's GOAT for many years. Just as Kobe did and MK before him. Lebron's time on top is probably ending faster because of Curry. This finals will be very interesting.

yeah? but LeBron was never a 1/10 well known as MJ or 1/2 as Kobe.
Curry has the potential to be as well known as the former two.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So much easier for teams to score in the 90s than it is today:

'96 Bulls: 105.2 PPG

'16 Warriors: 115.3 PPG

wat.

Looking at the advanced stats on basketball reference, Jordan played a lot more minutes. Comparing the above two seasons, Curry's per 36 pts is 30.7, while Jordan's was 29.0.

I think Jordan would be fine today. And I think Curry could easily be a 32ppg guy.

Outside of the anecdotal evidence that this thread is full of I'm curious to see how the numbers work out in regards to how popular Jordan, Kobe and LeBron were at the peak of their careers. I imagine the increase of interest from China has made the numbers skyrocket for the newer guys.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So much easier for teams to score in the 90s than it is today:

'96 Bulls: 105.2 PPG

'16 Warriors: 115.3 PPG

wat.

You're forgetting the pace stats:

96 Bulls Pace: 91.1 (20th of 29)
16 GSW Pace: 99.9 (2nd of 30)

GS has a lot more possesions per 48 minutes, so have more opportunites to score. Give that Bulls team 8-10 more possesions a game, you don't think that PPG average isn't at least 10 points higher?

Azih

Curry needs a year or two more of dominance to get to Lebron and Kobe levels. A few more and he definitely could get to MJ level also.

dude404

It's been argued that it was easier to score in MJ's environments actually than in the current one due to zone defense. Even MJ has admitted he would not have been able to score like he did in his prime under the current rules.

From back in 2001:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-04-01/sports/0104010375_1_defense-recommendations-nba

We'll never know how he'll do, but i'm sure he'll do fine and adjust. Players like MJ are too good to not be able to adjust.

charsace

Maybe not for adults. For kids though Curry has taken the place of Lebron.

You can see the change when you fire up NBA 2k16. This year you see a ton of SN's with
Curry in it. Any time I play and kids talk about basketball they talk about Curry. If they score a basket they say they did it like Curry. Previous NBA 2k games you would only hear about Lebron and Melo. Now you hear about Curry.

When kids watch Curry they see a little guy destroying the giants and kids love that. Its one the reasons AI was huge. The Steph Curry step back is becoming the new Iverson crossover.

watdaeff4

Curry is amazing.

For those who follow college hoops, his run in the 2008 tournament was a great preview of good things to come.

I'm just really thankful my alma mater played good enough defense on him at the end of the Elite Eight game to force Jason Richards to take the final shot instead of Curry.

You're forgetting the pace stats:

96 Bulls Pace: 91.1 (20th of 29)
16 GSW Pace: 99.9 (2nd of 30)

GS has a lot more possesions per 48 minutes, so have more opportunites to score. Give that Bulls team 8-10 more possesions a game, you don't think that PPG average isn't at least 10 points higher?

Yup. Compare offensive ratings (Off Rtg - points/100 posessions).

Bulls
Off Rtg: 115.2 (1st of 29) ▪ Def Rtg: 101.8 (1st of 29)

GSW
Off Rtg: 114.3 (1st of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 103.2 (6th of 30)

We'll never know how he'll do, but i'm sure he'll do fine and adjust. Players like MJ are too good to not be able to adjust.
Yup. He would possibly draw more fouls now than he did back then. Jordan would definitely be fine. Curry would be Godly 20 years ago too. His current year is probably the best offensive season of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom