• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
People that still say Curry is a bad defender either haven't really watched him in three years or they don't really understand how to "watch" basketball.

He isn't going to challenge for DPOY ever but he puts in work.

My favorite is they always assume he spends most of his time guarding the opponents point guard so if they put up good numbers they assume he was playing bad defense. Also, most people don't realize that guards primarily are playing against the defense behind the person who is directly guarding them (much moreso than against the person who is directly guarding them). Finally opponent productivity is also heavily influenced by what tactic you take guarding the pick-and-roll.

Jalen Rose made that a talking point for a few months the moment that commercial came out

lol I remember Jalen talking about that saying "If I was Chris Paul there is no way in hell I would have let that happen in my commercial"

People that still say Curry is a bad defender either haven't really watched him in three years or they don't really understand how to "watch" basketball.

He isn't going to challenge for DPOY ever but he puts in work.

He's really, really crafty at getting steals which is often overlooked or not talked about.

Currently he's 4th in the NBA in steals this season.

If you think about it, the bandwagon fan is the smart fan, emotionally speaking.

The bandwagon fan gets the pleasure of the highs and none of the deep lows.

Guys cheering on organizations that can't seem to figure out how to win shit like my Pelicans are the crazy ones. And yet I am still DVRing or watching every game.

Bandwagon fans are smart. I just think if you are a life long fan you have to eventually grow some interest in the game itself. Like I use to only watch raptors games but at some point all I ever wanted to do was watch any basketball. So I don't blame you man haha.

My favorite is they always assume he spends most of his time guarding the opponents point guard so if they put up good numbers they assume he was playing bad defense. Also, most people don't realize that guards primarily are playing against the defense behind the person who is directly guarding them (much moreso than against the person who is directly guarding them). Finally opponent productivity is also heavily influenced by what tactic you take guarding the pick-and-roll.

Dunno if I particularly agree with you on this. But Curry is not a bad defender, he is above average for sure, good even. I think the guard position is just so deep that scoring guards is just way more common than other positions.

Guys cheering on organizations that can't seem to figure out how to win shit like my Pelicans are the crazy ones. And yet I am still DVRing or watching every game.

Pelicans are fun to watch, especially AD...but you have Joel Meyers calling the games.

He was such a cheerleader announcer when he was in LA. Ugh.

Jonm1010

Banned
Pelicans are fun to watch, especially AD...but you have Joel Meyers calling the games.

He was such a cheerleader announcer when he was in LA. Ugh.

I love our crew TBH. Meyers is great! Wesley is solid too...And Jen Hale is nice to look at. It helps neither guy is a born and raised fan of our team. I guess maybe that was the problem out in LA?

Frankly I haven't come across a more even handed crew in terms of a local broadcast team. I actually prefer their analysis of foul calls even over national crews because they are pretty on top of it and fair. Even jabbing at Gentry for his too common temper tantrums when he doesnt get calls he wants and he clearly shouldn't.

this_guy

Who cares about the perspective of life long fans? The only thing bandwagon fans suck for is when they front about being super big sports fans and then get exposed hard when the conversation requires some semblance of knowledge. But if they just enjoy watching a player and a team play and put on a show what is wrong with that? Long term fans act like they are entitled to some medal. Go away honestly.

Dafuq? I pointed out that the article was covering a bandwagon fan, I didn't desparage or say anything else. If you're gonna get butt hurt on a video game forum you really should take your own advice and go away.

Still can't stop thinking he looks like a drug dealer though.

ummmm...what?

He doesnt even have visible tats.
Anyway....more I watch this season, the more Im convinced that Klay Thompson is the best complimentary 2 in the league.
Matter of fact, if Im building a team, I would pick Klay over Harden any day of the week. I understand Harden is more talented, but that dude is locker room cancer, a high usage ball hog, and puts forth poor effort on D.
Klay is a great defensive player, doesnt demand the spotlight, has the right attitude off the court, and is much more economic and efficient with his shots. #teamKlay

Dafuq? I pointed out that the article was covering a bandwagon fan, I didn't desparage or say anything else. If you're gonna get butt hurt on a video game forum you really should take your own advice and go away.

I didn't mean you haha. I meant people hating new fans. Sorry if that wasn't clear :(

ummmm...what?

Anyway....more I watch this season, the more Im convinced that Klay Thompson is the best complimentary 2 in the league.
Matter of fact, if Im building a team, I would pick Klay over Harden any day of the week. I understand Harden is more talented, but that dude is locker room cancer, a high usage ball hog, and puts forth poor effort on D.
Klay is a great defensive player, doesnt demand the spotlight, has the right attitude off the court, and is much more economic and efficient with his shots. #teamKlay
But I hate klay's terrible goatee...

Jonm1010

Banned
ummmm...what?

Not to start a fight, though saying this will bring out the defenders, I feel the same way about Westbrook TBH. Just not to as high of a degree as I do Harden.

Harden's other big problem is playoff basketball. You just aren't going to get the same calls enough in a 7 game series for how he plays.

Like I said, bandwagon fans = winning usually. Not a bad thing. I couldn't care less about "true" fans vs. bandwagon fans.
Speaking of true fans, I'm reminded of a guy I went to HS with who was a die-hard Warriors fan when the team was absolutely dreadful in the early 2000s. Bet he's stoked about his team nowadays.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ummmm...what?

I agree with this. I think Harden is a better talent as a 2. Klay is a better basketball player.

And I don't just mean as a 2 in terms of position on the court, I mean as a #2 as well. He has a great demeanor about being the superstar and it's almost like the stars aligned that him and Steph are on the same team.

LionPride

Banned
I'd say Steph and Kyrie are better ballhanders just due to the amount of moves they have and their creativity, but AI's crossover
carry
was more deadly than anything in their arsenals. He was just too quick.

I can agree with that, it may be because I've been able to watch Steph and Kyrie since day one whereas I've only been able to see highlights of peak Iverson

theWB27

Kyrie and Steph are better dribblers than AI. Period.

Putting period at the end of your opinion doesn't make it any more true.

There's nothing Kyrie or especially steph has done to put their handle above ai.

I'm not saying ai is better than either, but there's no way in hell he's worse. There's nothing those two can do that ai couldn't handle wise.

Not to start a fight, though saying this will bring out the defenders, I feel the same way about Westbrook TBH. Just not to as high of a degree as I do Harden.

Harden's other big problem is playoff basketball. You just aren't going to get the same calls enough in a 7 game series for how he plays.

Westbrook's never had a decent SG that can handle the ball well. Watch him in the All-Star Game (lol) or Olympics and he's still great with someone else mainly handling the ball.

This, by far, is the dumbest outrage in social media I have seen. And that's saying something. So many people whining about a completely legitimate comparison. When I saw Curry play at Davidson, first thing I thought of was Mahmoud.

Chris Jackson (Mahmoud) scored 30ppg as a freshman in college. He played with Shaq at LSU, and scored 27ppg as a sophomore. One could argue he had the top two seasons for freshman and sophomore in NCAA basketball history.

Now he was barely 165lbs when he was in his prime, which made it very difficult to succeed in the NBA with handchecking allowed. He was also much shorter than Curry, even though he participated in the dunk contest once. However he had a few great years, until that national anthem fiasco basically ruined his career before he hit his prime.

Now tell me: how is comparing the greatest shooter in the NBA to a guy with a similar stroke, who hit 95% of his free throws despite suffering from tourettes an insult? That's a compliment, and if you actually followed basketball, you would take it as such. I'm sure if someone asked Curry he'd take it as a compliment. In no way, shape or form did Jackson mean that Rauf was as good as Curry. Just that their shots were similar.

Rauf also made a buzzer beater from his own three point line to beat the Clippers in '93, so that's another reason why Phil probably though of him. But you can find Mahmoud easily on youtube. If his shooting style doesn't remind you of Curry, then you have to be blind. There's also a video of him shooting around in a gym at age 43 and making 102 of 104 jumpers. Probably one of the purest forms anyone has ever had.

Again, doesn't mean he's as good as Curry, just that they have similar style of play/stroke.

https://youtu.be/YiCpet86WRQ

EDIT found a better link.

And there's a link to one game, which kind of shows what kind of release Mahmoud had on his shot.

I noticed that after the multiple quotes and outrage at the Phil Jackson tweet post that no one responded to this one, and after watching that video, I find it crazy that people were upset at Jackson.

I didn't know about Rauf myself, but watching how quick he got his threes of after going behind screens, and watching how he used his dribble to get space from Jordan reminded me exactly of Curry.

Now I'm thinking people just decided to try shut down Jackson and call him a horrible analyst without even knowing who the players he was referencing even was.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I noticed that after the multiple quotes and outrage at the Phil Jackson tweet post that no one responded to this one, and after watching that video, I find it crazy that people were upset at Jackson.

I didn't know about Rauf myself, but watching how quick he got his threes of after going behind screens, and watching how he used his dribble to get space from Jordan reminded me exactly of Curry.

Now I'm thinking people just decided to try shut down Jackson and call him a horrible analyst without even knowing who the players he was referencing even was.

When people say they've never seen someone like Curry before, it's not his form or style that most people are referring to - it's the high accuracy despite the volume of shots and the ludicrous range. Which is why when people read Phil's tweet, if most of us aren't thinking about aesthetics we're going to interpret it from the standpoint I stated in the previous sentence.

The other issue is Phil's said really really dumb things in the past on Twitter, so a lot of people aren't going to give him the benefit of a doubt.

This, by far, is the dumbest outrage in social media I have seen. And that's saying something. So many people whining about a completely legitimate comparison. When I saw Curry play at Davidson, first thing I thought of was Mahmoud.

Chris Jackson (Mahmoud) scored 30ppg as a freshman in college. He played with Shaq at LSU, and scored 27ppg as a sophomore. One could argue he had the top two seasons for freshman and sophomore in NCAA basketball history.

Now he was barely 165lbs when he was in his prime, which made it very difficult to succeed in the NBA with handchecking allowed. He was also much shorter than Curry, even though he participated in the dunk contest once. However he had a few great years, until that national anthem fiasco basically ruined his career before he hit his prime.

Now tell me: how is comparing the greatest shooter in the NBA to a guy with a similar stroke, who hit 95% of his free throws despite suffering from tourettes an insult? That's a compliment, and if you actually followed basketball, you would take it as such. I'm sure if someone asked Curry he'd take it as a compliment. In no way, shape or form did Jackson mean that Rauf was as good as Curry. Just that their shots were similar.

Rauf also made a buzzer beater from his own three point line to beat the Clippers in '93, so that's another reason why Phil probably though of him. But you can find Mahmoud easily on youtube. If his shooting style doesn't remind you of Curry, then you have to be blind. There's also a video of him shooting around in a gym at age 43 and making 102 of 104 jumpers. Probably one of the purest forms anyone has ever had.

Again, doesn't mean he's as good as Curry, just that they have similar style of play/stroke.

https://youtu.be/YiCpet86WRQ

EDIT found a better link.

And there's a link to one game, which kind of shows what kind of release Mahmoud had on his shot.
Yeah, that is uncanny.

Phil sort of feels kobe is better than jordan so who knows what the man is thinking. (even though I have to say if kobe had jordan's D maybe we would have a more serious talk)

curry is not a player I like as far as his acctual look (doesnt look like a drug deal as some were saying) he looks very plain and maybe some of his looks play into his popularity not being higher. But I feel this way about a lot of guys in today's game. No one really has that look. Lebron sort of has it and maybe a few others here and there. Jordan, magic, Bird , shaq, even kobe really have a more stand out look. today's guys (a lot of them) give me that Derek Fisher sort of look and no matter how good Derek was his look and personality never gave much feeling to me. I know it's a bit of a silly idea but of course the look of something has it's own place in feeling. So before anyone starts to make jokes or fun of it, movies have casting for days for this very reason.

In today's game, who do you feel has the look? Even if their skill is mid grade. Is there a rodman out there?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Phil sort of feels kobe is better than jordan so who knows what the man is thinking. (even though I have to say if kobe had jordan's D maybe we would have a more serious talk)

curry is not a player I like as far as his acctual look (doesnt look like a drug deal as some were saying) he looks very plain and maybe some of his looks play into his popularity not being higher. But I feel this way about a lot of guys in today's game. No one really has that look. Lebron sort of has it and maybe a few others here and there. Jordan, magic, Bird , shaq, even kobe really have a more stand out look. today's guys (a lot of them) give me that Derek Fisher sort of look and no matter how good Derek was his look and personality never gave much feeling to me. I know it's a bit of a silly idea but of course the look of something has it's own place in feeling. So before anyone starts to make jokes or fun of it, movies have casting for days for this very reason.

In today's game, who do you feel has the look? Even if their skill is mid grade. Is there a rodman out there?
... what?

You're just trying to get another link added to your tag, aren't you?

Lol

Exodust

Banned

People that have stood out ever since you were alive being compared to a player who is relatively new when it comes to being the top guy? That's a weak argument. Didn't expect to see the ProWrestling "look" talk come up in this thread.

As far as actual looks go I heard Stephen Curry has quite a few fans due to his looks. So if that is your argument somehow(I can never tell), I can assure you he's set.

Servbot24

Banned

His popularity not being higher? ...He's literally the most popular athlete in America

i don't think i understand what this post means

Chichikov

... what?

You're just trying to get another link added to your tag, aren't you?

His popularity not being higher? ...He's literally the most popular athlete in America

People that have stood out ever since you were alive being compared to a player who is relatively new when it comes to being the top guy? That's a weak argument. Didn't expect to hear the ProWrestling "look" talk to come up in this thread.

As far as actual looks go I heard Stephen Curry has quite a few fans due to his looks. So if that is your argument somehow(I can never tell), I can assure you he's set.

i don't think i understand what this post means
Ya'll got some nerve to question the basketball acumen of a poster who shot 85% from 3pt range when he was 7. Show some respect to one of the greatest shooters of all time!

Beyond the general oddness of this post, Phil has never said Kobe is better. At most, he's set Kobe's overall shooting was better but he's been clear as to MJ's superiority overall. I'm too lazy to look up the youtube links, but there's plenty of footage out there.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Just wanted to post my thoughts on the while mj curry debate from the other thread where a poster stated curry was the goat.
Please tell me I am missing an in-joke or I am just a little slow? Did you see Michael play? No, he couldn't shoot three; but he was so dominant at times it looked like he was playing high schoolers.

And Jordan did it from day 1. Straight out of college he was just about the best player in his first season (6th in MVP voting, 28.2 ppg, 6.5 boards, 5.9 assists, 2.4 steals) IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR! Nobody has even come close to doing that or sustaining it for as long as Michael did.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Curry play right now and he is without question, the greatest shooter in the league and perhaps in the history of the game, but Jordan was the whole package. He had a killer jumpshot, the best fadeaway, thdrove through (hardcore) defences like butter, was a beast on defence and had a drive and hunger that's never been seen before (or since). Jordan put up numbers like Steph this year throughout his whole career. Think about that. Think about how off the chain Steph is right now and think that MJ did it for 12 seasons or however many he played. Give it time and Curry will be considered one of the best ever but for me, MJ is still without question the best I've ever seen play (disclaimer: I never saw Wilt)

rambis

Banned
Putting period at the end of your opinion doesn't make it any more true.

There's nothing Kyrie or especially steph has done to put their handle above ai.

I'm not saying ai is better than either, but there's no way in hell he's worse. There's nothing those two can do that ai couldn't handle wise.
AI has said as much himself....

SHOWTIME SPORTS ✔ ‎@SHOsports
#IVERSON on #Kyrie & #StephCurry - "Those guys are next level. I didn't have the handle they do." AI in his own words Saturday at 9p

Just wanted to post my thoughts on the while mj curry debate from the other thread where a poster stated curry was the goat.
Please tell me I am missing an in-joke or I am just a little slow? Did you see Michael play? No, he couldn't shoot three; but he was so dominant at times it looked like he was playing high schoolers.

And Jordan did it from day 1. Straight out of college he was just about the best player in his first season (6th in MVP voting, 28.2 ppg, 6.5 boards, 5.9 assists, 2.4 steals) IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR! Nobody has even come close to doing that or sustaining it for as long as Michael did.

To me it feels like most people today think NBA was invented in the 90's. it wasn't. Not everything today is "best ever", no matter how good of a season some player is having. First Kobe was the greatest, then LBJ...is Curry next? None of them probably are, but there's no point to make that comment until their career is finished.

But to that bolded part: There is a 6 time MVP of the league who won 6 titles, who for some weird reason has been missing from the GOAT conversation for years. Until this year, when both SI and ESPN ranked him second all time. And that's where he belongs, if not at nr. 1. He dominated both Wilt and Hakeem, and didn't in an era where there were no charter flights. He was the Finals MVP in 1971 and 1985. That's longevity for you.

And that player is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. His accomplishments and consistency dwarf almost every player who ever played in the NBA. Although I agree that Jordan was even more consistent than Kareem. On that note, Jordan never lost a playoff series where his team had home court advantage. And between 1990 and 1998 when he was in uniform, Bulls had zero 3-game losing streaks. That to me is the most amazing stat about Jordan.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
HelpfulWideeyedAnole.gif

I love Steph Curry, dude is just awesome, straight up money.
I hope Warriors go back to back and win the chip again this year, best team to watch in the NBA by far.

Can you please make a version of this gif that constantly forwards and reverses the last two seconds so that Curry is shown moving forward, then backward, then forward, then backward? I'd be forever grateful

RibMan

Steph Curry is (currently) the most popular American athlete in the world. What exactly are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom