• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strategy Analytics report: PS4 to outsell Xbox One by 40% through 2018

It's not pixel counting, it's a different class of graphics. The GameCube/Xbox were near a generational difference between the PS2. Nothing ever came close to Halo 2/Metroid Prime.

I play my games on a TV, not on a monitor. If I were closer to the screen I would notice the difference but I truly don't at my distance/screen size. I have, for instance, GTA V on both platforms and they look the same to me.
PS2
fur-1024x576.jpg

god-of-war3.jpg

Xbox
med_11.jpg

1275.jpg

GameCube
90892-metroid-prime-2-echoes-gamecube-screenshot-there-are-many-vast.png

While there is a gap in graphics between XB/GC and PS2, I wouldn't call it a generation leap.

XB360
Halo-4_09-26-1218.jpg

PS3
b791c4f9e36a0868a15d734ed3f16c026078aa83.jpg

That is a generation leap.

EDIT: hope these pictures are better....I was trying to avoid bullshots, but it is incredibly hard to find direct feed shots that are not compressed, but not bullshots either....
2ndEDIT: Sorry, I just realized that some people took my post the wrong way...I meant that that difference between 6th Gen & 7the Gen is a true generation gap, unlike the difference between XB/GC and PS2 which I do not think is a generation gap. Again, super sorry for the confusion here.

enMTW

Banned
You have to be consistent. If you are capable of proclaiming games on the Xbox weren't possible on the PS2, which by your obtuse definition is a significant power gap, then why can't you do the same for last gen?

I don't understand your position.

Where are the games that aren't possible on the 360? It was a clean win power wise. It's an 'anything you can do, I can do better' situation, save the capacity of the disc. Even that doesn't matter too much - just install the rest of the game to the hard drive.

We don't know what's coming for PS4. The gap between the systems is large enough that I would expect to see games that would not be possible on the Xbox One, but those games do not exist yet.

cakely

Amazon's weighting system may be working for predicting console sales but it is not a reliable way to do so, as they assign weights and don't reset it monthly. The PS4 is banking points from launch whereas MS is higher than they should be as they sold a lot of units during the holidays.

It's a horseshit chart that means nothing. Multiple people have come in here to agree or to expand upon what I said.

The Amazon chart has been accurate at predicting console hardware rankings for 14 months straight. It has been absolutely reliable, up until this point.

No one in this thread has come in here to agree with you that it's a "horseshit chart that means nothing".

enMTW

Banned

You are deliberately presenting the PS2 in it's best light and the 360 in it's worst. Give it another go, you have a point to make here (as misguided as I think it is, which I will argue once you present 'real' screenshots)

No one in this thread has come in here to agree with you that it's a "horseshit chart that means nothing".

A guy came in here to explain the way Amazon runs that chart, how it doesn't reset, how factors that don't count anywhere else count on Amazon.

If you would like, I can find that post for you.

Cess007

Why, oh why, is this what we are discussing in a thread about a report from Sam Analytics? Are my views that controversial?

Well, when you start with "the PS2 was JRPGS, racers and little else"; you can bet your opinion will be controversial among most members.

i-Lo

You are deliberately presenting the PS2 in it's best light and the 360 in it's worst. Give it another go, you have a point to make here (as misguided as I think it is, which I will argue once you present 'real' screenshots)

He means to portray that the generational gap lies between PS2 & Xbox OG and PS3 & Xbox 360 and not between PS2 and Xbox OG.

PS2
fur-1024x576.jpg

god-of-war3.jpg

Xbox
med_11.jpg

1275.jpg

GameCube
90892-metroid-prime-2-echoes-gamecube-screenshot-there-are-many-vast.png

While there is a gap in graphics between XB/GC and PS2, I wouldn't call it a generation leap.

XB360
maxresdefault.jpg

PS3
Screen-shot-2013-05-20-at-11.jpg

That is a generation leap.

Is this a joke post?

I thought Halo 4 looked way better than TLOU, it doesn't help you used a shitty image for Halo 4 to try and prove your opinion.

360 in it's worst? Thats halo 4....
I will try and find a better Pic I guess, that one is a bit blurry...

What. Is this a joke post? Have I missed something?
What is wrong with it?

EDIT: I swapped out the PS360 pics for something a bit better...

LilZippa

Amazon's weighting system may be working for predicting console sales but it is not a reliable way to do so, as they assign weights and don't reset it monthly. The PS4 is banking points from launch whereas MS is higher than they should be as they sold a lot of units during the holidays.

It's a horseshit chart that means nothing. Multiple people have come in here to agree or to expand upon what I said.

No. Multiple people have not agreed with you. One guy said that if there is a discount then the rankings are affected, but you are trying to make up some magical weighting system that doesn't exist.

Cess007

Why isn't it enough for me to admit I was wrong?

Hey, for me it was alright. You forgot some stuff and that's Ok, no harm done there. But i'm not talking for me; others user will read your post with another mindset. I just wish the thread hasn't been derailed like that, but oh well.

Haha! Wow, what does that even mean?

He means that that's how a generation leap actually looks. The leap between PS2/XB to PS3/360.

Apathy

The system ran an honest-to-god OS, an updatable OS. That made Xbox Live possible, it made headsets possible, it made multiplayer in general possible [as you could release patches to fix exploits in a game, as no one likes cheaters[. A built in ethernet port meant it could (realistically) get an audience. A hard drive meant games could offer DLC.

It is no accident that the the things the Xbox offered were the things that defined the following generation. That is where I am coming from when I say 'a generational different'.

Why, oh why, is this what we are discussing in a thread about a report from Sam Analytics? Are my views that controversial?

Yeah, lets ignore SOCOM's headset 3 months before Xbox Live came out cause you want to disqualify it, and the Dreamcast Mic, Neither of which required an honest to go OS or updateable OS to do so.

cakely

A guy came in here to explain the way Amazon runs that chart, how it doesn't reset, how factors that don't count anywhere else count on Amazon.

If you would like, I can find that post for you.

Wow, I just noticed from your posting history that half of your total posts are in this thread.

I'll leave you to it, but I suspect that this will not end well.

Fox Mulder

Good for Sony. The picked up momentum with the ps3 and carried it into this generation. MS shit the bed, but I stuck with the for forza and halo.

enMTW

Banned
No. Multiple people have not agreed with you. One guy said that if there is a discount then the rankings are affected, but you are trying to make up some magical weighting system that doesn't exist.

I got three people by my memory. In the real world (non-Amazon charts) last months sales don't get taken into account for this months sale charts. Only Amazon does that insane shit.

I'll say it again: the end result of counting LTD on a (presented as) a monthly chart are numbers that do not mean a single thing.

Progress! Now fix the PS2/OG Xbox shots.

Where are the games that aren't possible on the 360? It was a clean win power wise. It's an 'anything you can do, I can do better' situation, save the capacity of the disc. Even that doesn't matter too much - just install the rest of the game to the hard drive.

We don't know what's coming for PS4. The gap between the systems is large enough that I would expect to see games that would not be possible on the Xbox One, but those games do not exist yet.

Let's just think about this for a second. Let's list the most graphically impressive games last generation between the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The Last of Us
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2
Beyond Two Souls
God of War Ascension
Halo 4
Killzone 2
God of War 3
Gears of War 3

The positions of the games are debateable, and there are some games I'm likely missing, but that's a good idea of what the machines are capable. If the Xbox 360 is so clearly more powerful, why are the best looking games so skewed towards the PS3. Shouldn't the Xbox 360 have more graphical showcases since it's so much more powerful?

Bastables

I like how you imply that getting it right 14 times in a row is may be working.

I also like how you gloss over most people actually disagreeing with you.

You're the broken clock mate.

LilZippa

I'll say it again: the end result of counting LTD on a (presented as) a monthly chart are numbers that do not mean a single thing.

Well that is just changing the argument. No one was talking about LTD.

Edit: That would just be bad form using the rankings for each month to determine any kind of LTD, but using the year/month/day rankings should give insight into who sold more in those time frames.

enMTW

Banned
I like how you imply that getting it right 14 times in a row is may be working.

I also like how you gloss over most people actually disagreeing with you.

You're the broken clock mate.

Let me try to break this down. Let's say the way I measured sales were by taking a sample of the customers. Whoever had the bigger dick was counted twice. If the resultsI got were that the PS4 sold more in the months that it did, my methodology would still be incorrect.

Amazon doesn't reset their charts month-to-month. Systems build leads and drop position far slower than they do in the real world. They can shoot up quickly on account of promos, but to drop takes a sustained period of next-to-no sales.

So, for instance, if Amazon were to discount the PS TV to $20 on the last day of this month, it would remain high in the charts all through the following month.

No one else does that. The methodology is wrong. It results in situations where the PS4 is 100% sold out, not available for pre-order, but #1 on the charts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What is wrong with it?
Well, I mean, the gap between PS2 and Xbox was way bigger than between PS3 and 360.

I mean there were games that ran at 480i on PS2 that not only had higher quality assets on Xbox but which also ran at 720p.

In a real sense it WAS a generational leap between PS2 and Xbox; Xbox was the first console with 'modern' hardware shaders, which let it do basic effects (bump-mapping; normal mapping) that the PS2 couldn't dream of.

enMTW

Banned
Well, I mean, the gap between PS2 and Xbox was way bigger than between PS3 and 360.

I mean there were games that ran at 480i on PS2 that not only had higher quality assets on Xbox but which also ran at 720p.

In a real sense it WAS a generational leap between PS2 and Xbox; Xbox was the first console with 'modern' hardware shaders, which let it do things (bump-mapping; normal mapping) that the PS2 couldn't dream of.

oh god THANK YOU

You get it. I'm going to make you a 'getting it' badge and mail it to you.

Steroyd

The system ran an honest-to-god OS, an updatable OS. That made Xbox Live possible, it made headsets possible, it made multiplayer in general possible [as you could release patches to fix exploits in a game, as no one likes cheaters[. A built in ethernet port meant it could (realistically) get an audience. A hard drive meant games could offer DLC.

It is no accident that the the things the Xbox offered were the things that defined the following generation. That is where I am coming from when I say 'a generational different'.

Er... The original PS2 came with a hard drive bay so it was obvious what the intention was for the future, I still wouldn't call that a generational leap given the original PS2 that launched as it did in 1999(?).

Let me try to break this down. Let's say the way I measured sales were by taking a sample of the customers. Whoever had the bigger dick was counted twice. If the resultsI got were that the PS4 sold more in the months that it did, my methodology would still be incorrect.

Amazon doesn't reset their charts month-to-month. Systems build leads and drop position far slower than they do in the real world. They can shoot up quickly on account of promos, but to drop takes a sustained period of next-to-no sales.

So, for instance, if Amazon were to discount the PS TV to $20 on the last day of this month, it would remain high in the charts all through the following month.

No one else does that. The methodology is wrong. It results in situations where the PS4 is 100% sold out, not available for pre-order, but #1 on the charts.

The past is a good indicator of the future. That's what Amazon is doing. You are complaining about a daily chart where a random item is unusually high versus a chart that tracks a month of sales using a combination of statistically relevant sales for the month and past sales to make a prediction.

A prediction that has been right 14 times in a row (and probably longer than that with the previous gen).

One day versus a month. You don't even make any sense. But keep doing what you are doing :)

meanspartan

This is preposterous.

While I don't think there was some huge difference in power between the two, I do think the majority of the best looking games of the generation were Ps3 exclusives.

For instance, to my eyes (and yes, I know that is subjective so totally fine to disagree), nothing on Xbox 360 is on the level of God of War 3 or Uncharted 3. Earlier in the generation, Killzone 2 looked better than anything I remember on the 360 at the time.

Of course, the difficulty of the cell meant that multiplats often looked better on 360. But Sony studios seemed to know how to make it sing.

enMTW

Banned
Er... The original PS2 came with a hard drive bay so it was obvious what the intention was for the future, I still wouldn't call that a generational leap given the original PS2 that launched as it did in 1999(?).

Not the same thing. The Xbox used the hard drive to store the OS, so it could be updatable. Should have said that in the post. Not trying to move goal posts, I swear.

In a real sense it WAS a generational leap between PS2 and Xbox; Xbox was the first console with 'modern' hardware shaders, which let it do basic effects (bump-mapping; normal mapping) that the PS2 couldn't dream of.

Did OGxbox really render at 720p??

I though it just upscaled from 480....

enMTW

Banned
The past is a good indicator of the future. That's what Amazon is doing. You are complaining about a daily chart where a random item is unusually high versus a chart that tracks a month of sales using a combination of statistically relevant sales for the month and past sales to make a prediction.

A prediction that has been right 14 times in a row (and probably longer than that with the previous gen).

One day versus a month. You don't even make any sense. But keep doing what you are doing :)

What Amazon is doing is throwing all the math out and picking winners out of a hat. It's a ******** style bullshit chart that is completely disconnected from what every other retailer is seeing.

The past is a good indicator, yes, if all things are equal. What about sales? What if you drop the price a bunch for a limited period of time? You can earn a high Amazon ranking for the future based on a one time action.

I really don't think what I posted is that hard to grasp. If you honestly think your sale charts should take into account last months data, if a sale at the end of one month should carry into the next months rankings.....well, so be it.

meanspartan

I don't see it as that big a leap to be honest, though your 720p capability argument is a good one.

I see it as the power difference between the Ps2 and the Xbox is real, but similar to Dreamcast vs. Ps2. What I mean is that though one is undeniably more powerful than the other, it is hard to imagine making a game on Ps2 that you couldn't make a competent port of on Dreamcast, or port an Xbox game to Ps2. The gulf between XBox and Dreamcast may very well be too big though, no idea if something like Halo 2 could run in a non-horrible way on Dreamcast, but I DO think you could make a competent Halo 2 on Ps2. Similar to how Resident Evil 4 was best on gamecube, but was a perfectly acceptable port for Ps2.

Fun fact, the Dreamcast's support of 480p for most games through VGA means it has aged a hell of a lot better than most Ps2 (only a few games supported Progressive scan over component) when playing on an HDTV.

Steroyd

Thanks. ^_^

Not the same thing. The Xbox used the hard drive to store the OS, so it could be updatable. Should have said that in the post. Not trying to move goal posts, I swear.

Well yeah, it being standard was what set it apart from Sony's efforts, but at the same time it was a direction Sony foresaw well in advance, the Xbox was pretty much that generation of console's fully realised.

ocean

Banned

I think anyone here would agree that the difference between Xbox and PlayStation 2 is far, far larger than the difference between Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Whoever argues the contrary is ignorant, insane or trolling.

I think the confusion arose from people who misread this as "the leap from PS2->Xbox was larger than Xbox->PS360", which would be a silly assessment.

Modern consoles are an evolution of the vision behind the original Xbox. PC-like architectures for easy coding, broadband connectivity for multiplayer and online interaction, a suscription service for a quality platform, large hard drives for DLC and media, you name it. A console is ultimately judged by its software library, and PS2 will reign supreme on that front. In terms of vision, however, Xbox was a precursor to what we have today.

Cess007

Fixed now (Direct feed- all from Gamersyde).

Point is both games are amazing (esp. in motion on tv) and THAT is what a GENERATIONAL leap looks like over PS2/Xbox and not what Xbox had to offer over PS2.

Damn, never played Halo 4 (i have never been a fan of Halo); but in those shots, the game looks reaaaaally good.

Another thing I need to ask about, what do features have to do with power? The Wii U has a tablet controller so it must be a generation leap above the Xbox One and PS4. That is the argument you are making.

And let me be clear, the PS2 was significantly weaker than the Xbox and GameCube. They released around two years after the PS2 I think, but regardless there is a significant power difference.

But a broken clock is right twice a day.

Top Bottom