• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 Character Hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newboi

Haven't they revealed elsewhere that Balrog isn't making the initial cut too? Maybe I'm losing it. If so, we better get Dudley...or some new boxer. I need a boxer!

It's not just that Dudley's a boxer, but that his character design and playstyle were absolutely phenomenal. Balrog is a boxer also, but, personally, I think his style of play and character design was trumped by Q in 3rd Strike.

If Capcom creates a new boxer that has a similar style to Dudley's, that would be great, but I doubt they could create a new character that trumps Dudley's design.

Either way, we need more characters that can "Fight like Gentlemen!"

Zubz

Banned
This stinks, I'm guessing Birdie and Cammy were it for their British reveal, so that means Dudley is out...

They're going to keep adding to the game, though, right? Maybe Dudley's not in the launch game, but it doesn't mean he's not coming eventually. Even gentlemen can be late to the party, sometimes.

fader

But i don't think he confirmed anything, he just doesn't like Ken. Thats all.

thank you!

it's amazing everyone is taking a troll as a fact.

The only thing that matters to me is keeping that jackass Alex out. What a butthead!

"At ease, loo-suh!"

latest

MagnesD3

Just read the possible leaked roster. It will be really disappointing if true. Only like Alex, Urien and Karin out of those. There are way to many sf2 characters. Hugo > Zangief and Dudley needs to fill the boxer role.

The only thing that matters to me is keeping that jackass Alex out. What a butthead!
tumblr_nn34s4UAoQ1soy0x2o1_400.png

It's not just that Dudley's a boxer, but that his character design and playstyle were absolutely phenomenal. Balrog is a boxer also, but, personally, I think his style of play and character design was trumped by Q in 3rd Strike.
Dudley's design is terrific, but it's an apple to Balrog's orange. Balrog can turtle WAY better than Dudley, and while his rush isn't as good as Dudley's he's still a beast up close.

I'm actually more concerned about the status of new characters in this game. I wasn't very happy with SF4's original designs, and Capcom's too scared to do the clean-slate like they did with SF3. As important as the "iconic" characters are, SF4 showed how stale a game can get when all you do is say, "Those memories, eh? while nudging them with their elbow and winking.

Lothars

Just read the possible leaked roster. It will be really disappointing if true. Only like Alex, Urien and Karin out of those. There are way to many sf2 characters. Hugo > Zangief and Dudley needs to fill the boxer role.
The SF2 characters are iconic, so I don't blame them for having a ton of them. It's a pretty good roster if the leak is correct but I also want Dudley.

Shadoken

The game doesn't come out for at least another 8 months, if February is true. How is it too late for Ken to be revealed if he's in?

Well normally wrt Capcom fighters they reveal the more traditional/protagonists and less surprising characters first.
SSF4 started out with SSF2 characters had the 3S characters revealed last. SFxT started out with the usual Ryu,Ken,Kazuya,Chun..etc. Elena,Poison..etc were left to the end. I forgot how it was with MvC3 but its more or less the same thing.

Unless they are doing some MAJOR changes to his design , I just dont see why they wouldn't have revealed him earlier imho.

My guess is they ARE doing a big change to Ken and hes either gonna be revealed towards the end or saved up for DLC.

Ken has the letter "e" in it.

E3.

Ken is one of 3 traditional shotos.

Think about it.

Ken also has 3 letters in his name. Half Life 3 confirmed by Capcom.

Aeonin

I wish some characters default costumes changed. Chun-Li in suit. Cammy in camo. More character appropriate where possible. I do think Birdie looks great for his personality.

lol imagine if we got this before E3

"Yellow, that's obviously Ken's hair. Could be Alex's hair too I guess. Or Sean?"

"Blue and red has to be Karen!"

Edit: That "leaked" roster would suck if we got
Zangief, we just don't need him after Birdie. I'd also be surprised by no newcomers, but would be thrilled about Dhalsim.

I wish some characters default costumes changed. Chun-Li in suit. Cammy in camo. More character appropriate where possible. I do think Birdie looks great for his personality.

While not a completely different costume, Cammy's 2P color is pretty damn awesome (also note that they change her eye color)

cammydyb32.png

avrayy.gif

GorillaJu

lol imagine if we got this before E3

"Yellow, that's obviously Ken's hair. Could be Alex's hair too I guess. Or Sean?"

"Blue and red has to be Karen!"

Edit: That "leaked" roster would suck if we got
Zangief, we just don't need him after Birdie. I'd also be surprised by no newcomers, but would be thrilled about Dhalsim.

I don't think Gief is that similar to Birdie. Birdie is closer to Honda in playstyle IMO.

Viper and Guile still the kings of shit talk

" Literally stop street fighting you suck"

Guile telling everyone to become family men, even the girls
Alex telling Elena to basically go be a stripper
Viper shitting on -everyone-

Win quotes are some of the best parts of fighting games, dammit

Nobody actually prefers his 3S voice, do they? That's crazy talk.

I prefer when he shuts up! :p

But yeah NG voice is GOAT

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Has Verendus actually been right about stuff lately
There's pretty much zero reason to doubt Verendus' leaks, however everything he's said about Ken has been so ambiguous and clearly just to stir shit up that I'm not sure why he's even a talking point with respect to Ken TBH.

Revealing Sagat on this stage would make for one of the most hype trailers ever.

KAL2006

Banned
I can see Alex not making it in because of Birdie. Birdie is a semi grappler similar to Alex. He has a dash move and a grab move similar to Alex. I reckon if they were to add another grappler it would be a pure grappler like Zangief or Hugo.

qcf x2

They tried that with 3 and the roster by and large sucked, hurting sales due to a lack of familiarity.

Seems like we get this post every other page in every thread related to SFV's roster. It's just flat out misinformed. There were a myriad of factors that hurt SF3's sales, and the roster was probably the least of them. Anyone who actually played the SF3 series can go ahead and imagine the new characters were replaced by the lame ass world warriors yet-a-fucking-gain, and ask yourselves if the game would have been a massive success with all the other factors working against it. Spoiler:
not a chance

lol @ ppl not thinking this game will have more Alpha characters return than SF3. Look at the timeline.

Seems like we get this post every other page in every thread related to SFV's roster. It's just flat out misinformed. There were a myriad of factors that hurt SF3's sales, and the roster was probably the least of them. Anyone who actually played the SF3 series can go ahead and imagine the new characters were replaced by the lame ass world warriors yet-a-fucking-gain, and ask yourselves if the game would have been a massive success with all the other factors working against it. Spoiler:
not a chance

In the arcades near me at the time the roster was very off-putting. People like to blame limited release it got on home consoles, or claim that 3D fighters were all the rage at the time, and while true, this didn't stop MvC2 being massively hyped, just SFIII.

So the roster clearly is a major sticking point.

And rightfully so, SFIII character designs were mostly stupid and weird looking.

not a chance

lol @ ppl not thinking this game will have more Alpha characters return than SF3. Look at the timeline.

I see this all the time but it is never elaborated upon. What are the other factors that hurt the sales? Is there any official info on this? At a guess I imagine death of arcades and complexity of systems, but I legitimately am interested to know.

Anecdotally (I know), the view IS that SF3 had a weaker roster that felt alien.

I see this all the time but it is never elaborated upon. What are the other factors that hurt the sales? Is there any official info on this? At a guess I imagine death of arcades and complexity of systems, but I legitimately am interested to know.
The 3rd Strike was old as hell by the time it hit Dreamcast, because that was the only console that was able to handle it.

Q and Twelve are the only "weird" characters. Necro is far less weird than Dhalsim and Blanca and has way more swag/attitude as a character. Oro is basically Piccolo so he's odd at first but then neat. And like, that's it.

Remmy
never deserves mention in SF again.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
You know, they should have just made most of the characters brand new, and just charged for the DLC characters know and love.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dayummm, if that leak list is true...

I was always fascinated by
3rd Strike Urien
, especially at high level play.
Might be my pick for V.

Juraash

I'd really, really like to see Akuma back. I'm not a really great played and SFIV was the first fightinf game I really fell deep into. He clicked with big time and it was the most fun I've ever had in a MP console game.

Barring his return, Cammy was looking sick on the E3 coverage so I might try her should I not get Akuma back.

ElFly

not a chance

Let's not rewrite history, the roster was definitely a factor, and not a minor one.

For starters, 3 Vanilla only had a handful of characters. Second, two of them are clones of each other. It was a really small cast for a fighting game even in 97. 2nd Strike barely helped, and it is only 3rd Strike, two years later, that gets a decent sized roster, but by then it was too late.

People will point out other factors, like 3d fighters, but the truth is, other 2d games were abusing the accumulation of historical sprites to amass huge, varied rosters, and SF3 was an oddity with only 10 chars.

And that's ignoring the design itself of the characters. I think it is pretty telling that the most popular iteration of the 3 series brought back Chun and had a Guile copycat. 2nd Impact had to add a Zangief-like grappler, as the "face" of the new series fell flat due to his too simple design. Out of the eight original WW, 5 of them having representation, three directly, two in homages, should tell you something. The something is that the design of SF2 is king. And that's ignoring that 2nd impact had to bring back Akuma.

Jawmuncher

you sir, are kinda weird...Why would Abel be the "face" of the series? You basing this on popularity? Story?

I can get where he is coming from. In the original arcade mode (not sure about later) Abel was like in everyone's mid cutscene.

With that said I didn't mind Abel but his design to me was just boring. Wasn't sure if just the look of SF hurt his design or what. He would need a new look for SFV I think if he returned.

I really wish we could move on from the SF2 cast. I'm so, so sick of them at this point. I'd love it if Capcom had to guts to not even bring back Ken, and give us someone like Sean or Sakura instead and be like, "here, if you really need to throw fireballs and uppercut people".

And if we're getting any SFIV originals moving on to the new game, I'd personally rather see C. Viper as my top pick.

Having Alex back would be awesome. Give us him instead of Zangief for those who want the big grappler type.
Leave out Ken, and bring back Sakura?

Hey, anyone who's seen me battle with Verendus knows I"m a Ken nut, but this kinda peeves me off when people who just don't like the character try to masked their bias as "I just want something fresh/new"

1) It's extremely easy to make Ken play completely different from Ryu

2) Why would Sakura be a good pic (who's moves are still shoto based, despite her design) but not Ken in bringing back returning cast. She's been a part of SF for a long time.

3) Ken at this point, is almost equal to Ryu in the series as far as popularity, if certain members of the cast are left out, it should be for a very good reasons, and not for the sake of fans "tired" of iconic characters. Which, honestly, I've never even heard of outside of gaming forums.

I can get where he is coming from. In the original arcade mode (not sure about later) Abel was like in everyone's mid cutscene.

With that said I didn't mind Abel but his design to me was just boring. Wasn't sure if just the look of SF hurt his design or what. He would need a new look for SFV I think if he returned.
Yeah, I mean story wise he's kinda important, but I dunno, just never thought of him as particularly popular (he isn't) and his design is overly simple IMO.

qcf x2

Factors that were more important to SF3's lack of commercial success than the filler characters from SF2:

- Arcades were done for.
- It was only available on Dreamcast, a console that was also done for.
- Consumers were far more interested in polygonal games, even MvC2 had 3D backgrounds (which its far less popular predecessors did not).
- It wasn't released on PS2/Xbox until the SFAC.
- It had a higher barrier to entry than previous SF games.
- Less of a factor, but the first two entries were pretty but very flawed as far as balance, exploits, etc. The series hit its stride w/ 3rd Strike, but by then only the hardcore were around to play it.

"Oh but Alpha 3 / Marvel..."

Yeah, those games were on PSP/PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2/GBA & PS2/Xbox, respectively. That's where those games took off, especially in the case of MvC2. Anybody with any relevant console had access to those games.

Also, nobody said Street Fighter Alpha had an "alien" cast. You had Ryu/Ken/Sagat/Chun/Bison and then Guy, Charlie, Sodom, Adon, Dan, Rose who were brand new. Apart from Charlie, none of those guys played like characters you knew and loved in SF2.

Now everybody loves Sakura, Rose, Charlie, Makoto, Elena, Dudley, etc. I'm pretty sure those guys are more popular than Thunder Hawk and Dhalsim.

TLDR; Having Vega, Balrog and Blanka would not have changed a thing about SF3's lack of commercial success. It was a victim of the times.

edit:

\

And that's ignoring the design itself of the characters. I think it is pretty telling that the most popular iteration of the 3 series brought back Chun and had a Guile copycat. 2nd Impact had to add a Zangief-like grappler, as the "face" of the new series fell flat due to his too simple design. Out of the eight original WW, 5 of them having representation, three directly, two in homages, should tell you something. The something is that the design of SF2 is king. And that's ignoring that 2nd impact had to bring back Akuma.

What the...

Remy a Guile copycat?
Hugo a Zangief-like grappler?
Alex fell flat because he was too simple for a franchise whose main characters are dudes in the simplest of karate gis?

@possible leak

I dunno. Karin without Sakura is just weird to me? Unless she's part of the "possibly more".

And no single boxer is a god damn crime unless one of the newcomers is one, and they better be!

While not a completely different costume, Cammy's 2P color is pretty damn awesome (also note that they change her eye color)

cammydyb32.png

avrayy.gif

Yeah, the costume color is awesome. The eye color isnt though. Cammy should always have blue eyes, IMO.
I'd be pretty happy overall if that SRK list turned out to be true. I'd love to see Juri, Mika and Alex in SFV. Ken, Dhalsim and Zangief are stale characters to me, but they are almost as likely to be there as Ryu and Chunners I guess.
Urien had a cool playstyle and voice in SF3, but I honestly dont want to see a guy wandering around in a thong/diaper in SFV. Its unattractive. Give him a pair of pants and boots and then add him to the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom