• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 Character Hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cackhyena

Don't want to derail this thread into a bunch of shoto talk, but is there any other series of fighting games out there where three or more characters have 3 or more of their super's or non-normal move set be "basically" the same thing And are even named the same? I totally understand damage, speed, and normal moveset variations differ among these, but I firmly believe Capcom did this to avoid complete and utter selection stagnation for players not brave enough to try a new character who needed that familiarity in those moves to feel comfortable.
It is that familiarity for me. I like the option to stay within in the shoto realm of things but have variation. I also love wildly different play types, though. It's just a staple at this point. Ryu is everybody's dawg. But Ken is Ryu's dawg, and Akuma is the glass canon/crazy possibilities, bad boy version. It's as Street Fighter as fireballs.

LaronX

Neo Member
Trying to think in terms of story and who has unfinished business with Bison Able would be probably a good candidate to come back especially with Nash being back. Fei might tag along because of his ending.

Juri would be out by that logic as her arc was done. She might get a new part to play though.

Dram

I hope some Saturday Night Slam Masters characters make it in somehow, since Birdie is back.

Titanic Tim, The Scorpion, El Stingray, The Great Oni or Black Widow would be great characters to add to the game.

Jetman

I think if Alex doesn't show up for some reason, then we should get his military trainer, Tom, from Alex's SF3 ending. I mean, if he trained Alex, to be Street Fighter Tourney calibur he has to be an amazing fighter in his own right too. Could show how he ended up in crutches and if Alex has any relation to Guile or Nash.

I think if Alex doesn't show up for some reason, then we should get his military trainer, Tom, from Alex's SF3 ending. I mean, if he trained Alex, to be Street Fighter Tourney calibur he has to be an amazing fighter in his own right too. Could show how he ended up in crutches and if Alex has any relation to Guile or Nash.

Tom FTW. I'd love to see Jean Reno show up in another Capcom game.

stn

They all have the same fireballs, shoryukens, and hurricane kicks along with the same gameplay motion to do those moves. They're clones.
Whenever I play online and someone picks a shoto I eyeroll everytime. Learn somebody new! I only ever play shoto's in single player and then never touch them again. I'm firmly in the camp that Ryu should be the only shoto.

I'll make reservations for Sean, Sakura, and Dan as long as the moves stay different, but take Sean/Dan out of the standard Gi's if they're in and make them look different.
They have the same moves, yes, but they use them completely differently. Ryu played a zoning pressure character, Ken was pure rushdown, and Akuma was a footsie-oki character. There will always be some kind of overlap in Street Fighter, there's only so much diversity you can create. Fei-Long has a rekka? So does Rolento, so does Karen. Might as well put Sakura and Gouken in that category, they both throw fireballs and have hurricane kicks.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just that the shotos are not absolute clones in that sense. Their similarities end in terms of their three staple special moves. Try playing Ken like you play Ryu and you'll see what I mean.

jerry1594

Alex sucks though. He didn't do a very good job.

Negaduck

Tom could be cool. I think Alex would be awesome. Actually seeing the takes on Cammy and bison, I'm super hype to see what they do with all the characters this go around.

Jetman

They have the same moves, yes, but they use them completely differently. Ryu played a zoning pressure character, Ken was pure rushdown, and Akuma was a footsie-oki character. There will always be some kind of overlap in Street Fighter, there's only so much diversity you can create. Fei-Long has a rekka? So does Rolento, so does Karen. Might as well put Sakura and Gouken in that category, they both throw fireballs and have hurricane kicks.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just that the shotos are not absolute clones in that sense. Their similarities end in terms of their three staple special moves. Try playing Ken like you play Ryu and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, yeah, not saying ya'll are completely wrong either, just personal opinion. I guess all of the characters can be broken down into base components as having charge moves, projectiles, grapples, etc. I think over the last couple of years, especially with SF4, just officially got sick of shoto's that were even slightly similar.

And well! Comic Con schedule for Day One is up! Street Fighter 5 is the first panel, I'll officially be waiting in line for. Summary says there will be exclusive reveals so hoping we at least get two more good character reveals on the 9th along with a playable build for attendees. If so, will be using some Birdie and Nash (no Ryu :p)

Kain

I think Alex or Urien will be in, at least for the first iteration of the game.

The dream team would include Sodom and Q, but I don't know if they'll dare...

Ophelion

Nash's goal is to kill Bison so I doubt Shadaloo revived him.

On the other hand, how many of Bison's mad science projects want to kill him now? Cammy at least. Seth probably would've murdered him if given half a chance. Juri is one step removed in that she's a mad science experiment on Seth's part who in turn is a mad science experiment on Bison's part, but she also wants to kill Bison. And Seth (and she probably did. I bet her ending is canon.) And everybody. God, she's so crazy.

Sayad

I'd guess the earliest we might see details on the story/single player mode would be TGS. That should be the next real info blowout. That, PSX or Paris Games Week.
This. Beside, they probably can't show much of story mode before revealing more characters.

Oh, yeah, not saying ya'll are completely wrong either, just personal opinion. I guess all of the characters can be broken down into base components as having charge moves, projectiles, grapples, etc. I think over the last couple of years, especially with SF4, just officially got sick of shoto's that were even slightly similar.

A generalization isn't a "personal opinion"

plot leak could lead to roster reveals, haha

They could go the Netherrealm route where they show a story trailer that features both playable characters and non-playable characters. But then again, they'd never hear the end of it if they showed Karin and Alex but they weren't playable while El Fuerte and T.Hawk were.

How many days til EVO? I really hope we get character reveals during it XO

EVO is July 17th. But Comic Con may be our next chance to see a new character and that starts July 8th.

I would be cool with an Akuma-like Evil Sakura. Keep Akuma and Ken in the first DLC pack so the first roster is clean, though.

Let's look at how many shotos were around by the time of USF4:

Ryu
Ken
Akuma
Evil Ryu
Oni
Gouken

Still crossing my fingers that Necro is in and Honda, Blanca and Dhalsim are not. =X

Shadoken

Can people stop saying Ryu,Ken,Akuma arent clones. Yes they all play completely different but by this logic there are absolutely NO clones in fighting games.
But they do have very similar movesets and are much more similar to each other than say Dhalsim and Zangief.

If Capcom wants 16 completely unique characters to the game , Ryu,Ken,Akuma shouldnt really be in. Though I can see Akuma being a secret boss.

Has the latest 'dark' Sakura video from Bornfree been discussed yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neaydiu-eMM
Dark Sakura figure from EVO:

He did a similar one about Oro some time ago, I think he makes a valid point about merchandising, it could be serious hints.

Regarding recent leaks, the only source I trust for now is Ken Bogard, the guy litterally announced V Trigger months ago. He definitely knows most of the roster, if not all.
To sum up his claims/hints/'enlightened' suppositions (to take with a grain of salt of course):
- 16 characters, including 4 new (Zen, Laura, Rachid and ?).
- one unique flagship title, game will be updated through seasons/DLC
- SF5 takes place after SF4, but before SF3. Deals with the fall of Shadaloo and rise of the Illuminati, storywise it's a transition to SF3 era.
- Only 'Shadaloo member' remaining is Dictator, implying no Boxer, Sagat or Claw.
- efforts will be made on story mode, characters will make sense story wise.

So educated guess / crazy theory based on leaks, hints and what we know so far :
Ryu
Chunli
Dictator
Nash
Cammy
Birdie

IMO 90% sure:
Alex: people tends to forget he is the main SF3 protagonist, and he's a fan favourite.
Urien: would be the new bad guy, and his presence would make a logical transition to SF3 plot.
Juri : they need at least one original SF4 character, and she is by far the most popular one, has an original playstyle and would fit nicely with SF5 mechanics (fengshui engine as VTrigger, charged fireball as VSkill, counter/teleport move as VReversal), and since she's basically all what remains of SIN she would make sense for a transition between SF4 and SF5 plot.

!Speculations/crazy theory!:
'Dark' Sakura : Bornfree video point, and it would actually be a logical evolution of the character.
As a reminder she was hit by Seth machine in her SF4 ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9yEw5L5xY4
It could have awoken her satsui no hado. Seeing as they made Ryu the heavy bulky shoto, they could make her the fast/exotic one, could use a mix of her former style and Akuma moves. Could be the missing left character on OP image, with dark aura.
And most importantly, a Sakura overtaken by the satsui no hado would be the perfect excuse to bring Karin back.

Karin: one of the most requested character (n°1 by Japan, above Ryu), not seen for a long time and would fill the rekka character archetype. Could be the missing right character on OP image, with red aura. Story wise she could return to bring Sakura back to her senses.

Oro: according to Bornfree video, he could be part of the cast. It would add an exotic fighting style and an 'elder' character type to the roster.

4 new characters
Rachid
Zen
Laura
Unknown (Santamu?) : I always found strange that the last character was not leaked with the other, it could be because it's an existing character in SF lore who was not playable yet. Contrary to the other three, giving his name would totally give away the character. So I'd bet on Santamu since she was already rumoured to be added to USF4 by KB, I think Capcom was indeed working on Santamu at that time, but for SF5.
She's also from Vietnam, a country yet to be represented in SF. Bringing back a doll to backup Cammy in their last fight against Dictator would also make sense story-wise. And lastly she's a spear user accompanied by a monkey so she wouldnt play like Cammy at all .

Shadow Charlie shown in that video is not the Charlie that is currently in SF5. Also Shadow Charlie and Dark Sakura were MvsSF characters.

Shadow Charlie shown in that video is not the Charlie that is currently in SF5. Also Shadow Charlie and Dark Sakura were MvsSF characters.

You miss the point. Figures are not randomly produced, it needs Capcom approval and they dont greenlit characters randomly, it's usually linked to what they currently want to market. Those designs are from MSHvsSF but it makes little sense they would allow to produce figures from this old game now. You should watch this guy video on Oro, he's better than me at explaining it. But who knows, maybe it's indeed nothing.

On another topic, Ken Bogard was asked what he though about the latest "leaked" list:
https://twitter.com/KenBogard/status/613987649137868800
Rough translation:
XX : Hi, without taking too much risks, do you think the leaked list make sense?
KB : No, I'm quiete sure it's bullshit, tho it will maybe become true in 5 years
XX : I'm sure you got the list, dont hesitate child
KB : I cant tell anything, I've already said too much, which partly explains this list
KB : Anyway the moment you see R.Mika in a list you can consider it bullshit XD

So basically the guy who partially leaked the roster in the first place, says this list is fake.

Trying to think in terms of story and who has unfinished business with Bison Able would be probably a good candidate to come back especially with Nash being back. Fei might tag along because of his ending.

Juri would be out by that logic as her arc was done. She might get a new part to play though.
I think it works the other way around - they decided on characters to include and then shoe-horn them into whatever nonsense story they can.

I don't know what was wrong with world fighting tournament, that's all the story you need for a genre where story is THE least important part of the entire game.

Sakura and Satsui no Hadou V-trigger would be awesome but she needs a new outfit. Would be cool if they could give her a fighting hobo like outfit inspired by Akuma. And some wild hair:)

FinKL

KB : Anyway the moment you see R.Mika in a list you can consider it bullshit XD

So basically the guy who partially leaked the roster in the first place, says this list is fake.

So basically we're still at square one:

1.Ryu
2.Chunli
3.Dictator
4.Nash
5.Cammy
6.Birdie
7.Rachid ?
8.Zen ?
9.Laura ?
10. NewChar4
and 6 more characters

That Sakura thing seems pretty convincing and I'd love it. A great way to get rid of Akuma while also making Sakura way more interesting. I'd also agree it's basically a given Alex, Urien, and Juri will be there.

Do we know anything at all about those supposed newcomers other than their names?

Shadoken

You miss the point. Figures are not randomly produced, it needs Capcom approval and they dont greenlit characters randomly, it's usually linked to what they currently want to market. Those designs are from MSHvsSF but it makes little sense they would allow to produce figures from this old game now. You should watch this guy video on Oro, he's better than me at explaining it. But who knows, maybe it's indeed nothing.

Oh I did , I saw it a while back when BornFree posted it on the FB group. Just saying that it doesn't particularly lead to much. Because both Sakura and Charlie are pretty popular characters anyway.

The Oro thing is a fair point tho , and I think hes most likely in or at the very least in the first batch of DLC. There is no reason to randomly make an Oro figurine out of nowhere with the same styling as SF5.

A "Dark" Sakura sounds like dreadful fan-fiction stuff so I hope that's not true. Then again, we did get the equally awful Evil Ryu in IV.

I'm not at all keen on Karin. I'd love to see Necro return more than anyone else; his keepaway game will be stronger without parries and he had a really strong stun-focus in 3rd Strike. King Cobra making being developed into a new character might be good (with a better replacement for the concept art Gi).

I doubt we'll see Dan return, at least not as a playable character early on. I do love him, though. Maybe Sean or Mel for the awkward Shoto role?

I think the character I want most is R Mika's trainer, Harmegeddon Yoko. She looks awesome.

Shadoken

A "Dark" Sakura sounds like dreadful fan-fiction stuff so I hope that's not true. Then again, we did get the equally awful Evil Ryu in IV.

I'm not at all keen on Karin. I'd love to see Necro return more than anyone else; his keepaway game will be stronger without parries and he had a really strong stun-focus in 3rd Strike. King Cobra making being developed into a new character might be good (with a better replacement for the concept art Gi).

I doubt we'll see Dan return, at least not as a playable character early on. I do love him, though. Maybe Sean or Mel for the awkward Shoto role?

I think the character I want most is R Mika's trainer, Harmegeddon Yoko. She looks awesome.

Yup , Dark Sakura just seems very out of character. Given how she's involved with the comic relief bunch in SF4 (Dan,Blanka..etc). Id find it veeeery weird to see Dark Sakura in this game.

I mean there would have to be some serious changes to the character or story for something like that to happen. You would need to create a very dark plot around Sakura for her to go embrace the satsui no hado.

After watching both those videos, I'd say if anything Oro is more likely than Dark Sakura, and that's exciting. I have no particular love for him, but it's great if they're bringing back any of those total weirdos from SF3. Based on how different everyone is in this game I'm sure he'll play great too.

Only weird thing is that there's no Birdie figure.

Yup , Dark Sakura just seems very out of character. Given how she's involved with the comic relief bunch in SF4 (Dan,Blanka..etc). Id find it veeeery weird to see Dark Sakura in this game.

I mean there would have to be some serious changes to the character or story for something like that to happen. You would need to create a very dark plot around Sakura for her to go embrace the satsui no hado.
She got hit by the evil energy whatever in 4. Boom, it makes sense now, they really did set it up as much as they could, even though they could completely ignore that if they change their mind about wanting a Dark Sakura. I guess she could still be comic relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom