• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 5 Character Hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetman

A generalization isn't a "personal opinion"

It's turns into personal opinion if I'm the only one who made a connection on the generalization ;)

She got hit by the evil energy whatever in 4. Boom, it makes sense now, they really did set it up as much as they could, even though they could completely ignore that if they change their mind about wanting a Dark Sakura. I guess she could still be comic relief.

Eh, I remember seeing that ending, and after seeing it again, it doesn't really seem like any substantial "evil energy" really nailed her in that. Her ending never stood out to me then, and it still doesn't....not many of them did though in 4.

It's turns into personal opinion if I'm the only one who made a connection on the generalization ;)

Eh, I remember seeing that ending, and after seeing it again, it doesn't really seem like any substantial "evil energy" really nailed her in that. Her ending never stood out to me then, and it still doesn't....not many of them did though in 4.

Yeah it doesn't seem evil, but it does come from Seth and she says its some sort of strange power. It's small enough that they could have just ignored it, but it definitely gives them good cause to make her evil (or dark rather) I think.

Jetman

Yeah it doesn't seem evil, but it does come from Seth and she says its some sort of strange power. It's small enough that they could have just ignored it, but it definitely gives them good cause to make her evil (or dark rather) I think.

Yeah, I'd be ok with seeing her in it, evil or not. I just want her to be aged appropriately. Doesn't seem like her age has changed and she's been around since Alpha 2.

Yeah, I'd be ok with seeing her in it, evil or not. I just want her to be aged appropriately. Doesn't seem like her age has changed and she's been around since Alpha 2.
We can only hope lol, I wouldn't worry too much if only because of some of the redesigns going on. But still... yeah probably not. It's Sakura haha.

I'd really prefer Dark Sakura in all honesty if only because it gets rid of two potential shotos (Akuma and classic Sakura) to give us something new. And thanks to that ending at least it's not completely out of left field, and might finally give them an excuse for a redesign.

Still crossing my fingers that Necro is in and Honda, Blanca and Dhalsim are not. =X

But I need these two in so they can duke it out!

Yup , Dark Sakura just seems very out of character. Given how she's involved with the comic relief bunch in SF4 (Dan,Blanka..etc). Id find it veeeery weird to see Dark Sakura in this game.

I mean there would have to be some serious changes to the character or story for something like that to happen. You would need to create a very dark plot around Sakura for her to go embrace the satsui no hado.

Well, I mean even if it's not canon, Dark Sakura is already a thing. Besides, Capcom wants to focus on story this time around. They can easily find some way for Sakura to be consumed by some evil energy whether it's the Satsui no Hado or not.

It's actually more than that, one way or another Seth machine is linked to the Satsui no Hado. As a reminder this is what happens when Ryu faces it in his SF4 ending:

9PoAKxV.jpg
55VEvqz.jpg
ojmy09z.jpg

Sakura ending, after being hit by the machine :

That doesnt mean they will go for Dark Sakura but at the very least it would make sense story wise.

In the first video he only hinted to a roster size similar to previous games at launch. But he did a lot of other live streams afterwards, and still does, randomly dropping hints.
And nowadays when he talks about SF5, he speaks on the basis of a 16 characters roster "according to the current internet word of mouth". He's basically doing a KB->Internet->KB to muddy the waters and obfuscate the fact he was the primary source. So I'm kind of confident the roster is indeed 16 characters, or at least something very approaching.
Well, 17 chars + 1 boss is not too far off. ;)

But:

On another topic, Ken Bogard was asked what he though about the latest "leaked" list:
https://twitter.com/KenBogard/status/613987649137868800
Rough translation:
XX : Hi, without taking too much risks, do you think the leaked list make sense?
KB : No, I'm quiete sure it's bullshit, tho it will maybe become true in 5 years
XX : I'm sure you got the list, dont hesitate child
KB : I cant tell anything, I've already said too much, which partly explains this list
KB : Anyway the moment you see R.Mika in a list you can consider it bullshit XD

So basically the guy who partially leaked the roster in the first place, says this list is fake.
If this is true I believe you. The list is just made up of KB's own reveals and some pretty safe bets.

Well, then there's still hope we'll get Haggar instead of Zangief and Necro instead of Dhalsim after all.

stn

Why would it make sense in 5 years? That would be pretty late in the game's cycle. Perhaps some of the character rights aren't owned by Capcom, and won't be for another 5 years??? I don't know, just brainstorming.

Why would it make sense in 5 years? That would be pretty late in the game's cycle. Perhaps some of the character rights aren't owned by Capcom, and won't be for another 5 years??? I don't know, just brainstorming.

The roster is expected to expand the longer the game is out, and the more it expands the higher the chances of otherwise-unlikely characters making the cut becomes.

The only characters that aren't owned by Capcom are Karin and the EX crew

Lulubop

Because characters on that list aren't making the first cut but maybe they'll be added during the game's lifespan?

IIRC Karin was introduced in the manga Sakura Ganbare, Capcom liked the character and added her to SFA3, but they don't outright own the character, similarly to Strider.

That said, I don't think I've heard anything about it being an antagonistic relationship with the mangaka or otherwise making it particularly unlikely they'd be able to secure the rights to use her. We're not exactly talking about Disney v. Sony for the fate of Spider-Man's movie rights, or anything.

Razzorn34

IIRC Karin was introduced in the manga Sakura Ganbare, Capcom liked the character and added her to SFA3, it is a similar case to Strider.

People keep saying this would keep her out of another game for some reason. As if Capcom couldn't just get rights again to use her. If they want her in the game, I'm sure that part is a non issue.

That said, I don't think I've heard anything about it being an antagonistic relationship with the mangaka or otherwise making it particularly unlikely they'd be able to secure the rights to use her. We're not exactly talking about Disney v. Sony for the fate of Spider-Man's movie rights, or anything.
Yeah, it's not impossible, it's just kind of a pain in the ass, specially considering they already have so many characters to work with

Kain

IIRC Karin was introduced in the manga Sakura Ganbare, Capcom liked the character and added her to SFA3, it is a similar case to Strider.

Oh, I thought she was an original creation by Capcom, thanks.

As for the EX characters, I don't think Capcom would have much trouble securing the rights for a couple of them (Skullomania and V. Rosso, please?), what is Arika doing anyway? I think they were doing that 3DS Tekken and... anything else?

Negaduck

Whats up with everyone wanting Karin, feels like its a meme at this point.

I didn't realize so many people liked her, I've never been a personal fan but since so many people want her in I would be down to see her in SF 5. Maybe her and birdie can fill the alpha character spots.

XenoRaven

This is easy for me to say since my favorite SF character is like the 2nd or 3rd most iconic on the roster, but I feel like a lot of people like Karin because a lot of people like Karin. Like I never heard anyone even talk about Karin and then all of a sudden her popularity just gained a ton of momentum.

Oh, I thought she was an original creation by Capcom, thanks.

As for the EX characters, I don't think Capcom would have much trouble securing the rights for a couple of them (Skullomania and V. Rosso, please?), what is Arika doing anyway? I think they were doing that 3DS Tekken and... anything else?
Mobile, what else? They also worked on Dr Luigi

Tizoc

People keep saying this would keep her out of another game for some reason. As if Capcom couldn't just get rights again to use her. If they want her in the game, I'm sure that part is a non issue.

Yeah I mean she was in Capcom Fighting Jam and Capcom even got Strider in UMVC3, and made a Strider game.

qcf x2

This is easy for me to say since my favorite SF character is like the 2nd or 3rd most iconic on the roster, but I feel like a lot of people like Karin because a lot of people like Karin. Like I never heard anyone even talk about Karin and then all of a sudden her popularity just gained a ton of momentum.

Same w/ R. Mika, Eagle, Skullomania, Maki, Ingrid. I think they'd all be horrible fits for SFV, but the bangwagons have been going strong for a while now.

XenoRaven

Same w/ R. Mika, Eagle, Skullomania, Maki, Ingrid. I think they'd all be horrible fits for SFV, but the bangwagons have been going strong for a while now.
I was going to look up a Kreygasm image for this post but I'm at work and I'm scared of the results I'd get.

Razzorn34

When does it stop being a fad, and naysayers just accept that the characters are popular because people like them? Just because these characters aren't front and center every damn SF game doesn't mean they don't have a following.

Omg i can't wait to see Ken in this engine! Can we get crazy kicks back and knee bash? Or maybe his roll? What will his special move be? A dodge? A parry would be redundant, but really u can't create that epic sf3 moment without Ken and Chun right.

Going back to sf4 just makes me want this so badly.

qcf x2

I was going to look up a Kreygasm image for this post but I'm at work and I'm scared of the results I'd get.

I would totally get on the wagon for Mika if that's what I meant. ;)

I have a feeling that Alex and Sean or Necro are next. I think they're holding back on announcing Ken in part because they're making him more different from Ryu than ever before. Ryu getting denjin hadokens and a parry was kind of a no brainer, but what can they do with Ken other than add fire to his other attacks, which would be kinda lame?

When does it stop being a fad, and naysayers just accept that the characters are popular because people like them? Just because these characters aren't front and center every damn SF game doesn't mean they don't have a following.

Well, Maki/Eagle/Ingrid were only in, what, the PSP version of SFA3 (other than SF1, which nobody really liked)? They were essentially bonus characters, most people who are asking for them back never actually used them in any sort of competitive fashion. Tonfas, pipes, etc don't fit in SF in my opinion (I've always dislike Rolento in this series as well), and Ingrid is some JRPG mid boss looking character who stood out in a bad way.

R. Mika def gets troll votes because she has T&A. She's a pretty embarrassing design, though I do like the concept of a female grappler.
Karin was actually my fav character in SFA3, but then again I pretty much hated SFA3 and she was unique in that she was the only character with rekkas. Fei Long being in most of the SF4 games kind of makes the whole rekka thing seem played out, and that's her whole shtick. Plus she's a schoolgirl and I don't want any more schoolgirls in my grown man's Street Fightah! Age her/Sakura/etc appropriately or leave them on the shelf, I say. Skullomania gets votes because he's the weirdest character in a Capcom related fighting game, and people know there's no way he'll ever be included. IIRC his moveset was like... forward lunges or something lame like that.

But they were the most popular female characters of their franchise!

And Karin appeared just in 1 game.
Karin is not the most popular female SF character. I'd put her behind Chun Cammy Juri and Sakura at the very least

Hell Athena probably isn't even the most popular female KoF character. I'd go with Kula or Mai on that one

Korigama

Huh, what's this about Karin?

Seeing as absolutely nothing she appears in has separate copyright information like Strider does, it is not a similar case. She hasn't been showing up in anything else because Capcom just haven't wanted her to, and nothing more than that.

Karin is not the most popular female SF character. I'd put her behind Chun Cammy Juri and Sakura at the very least

Hell Athena probably isn't even the most popular female KoF character. I'd go with Kula or Mai on that one

Probably linked already somewhere in this thread, but: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/mar/29/results-capcoms-street-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/

Yeah, she actually edges out Juri as the 7th most fan-requested character overall. Most of the Top 10 characters are from the "iconic" set (Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, etc.); it's R. Mika, Karin, and Q that stand out as being the ones that are unusually popular for how rarely they appear in games, which explains how they make it to the top of "leaked" lists.

Though, of course, it's worth noting that Capcom doesn't seem to actually care about these surveys, given how incredibly unpopular Birdie is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom