• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

oti

Banned
Makes sense. People know Street Fighter regardless the console they own. When they grab the packaging they'll see it's exclusive in some way. I don't know how many people who casually browse the video game aisles have the option to get it for their PC or are even thinking about that though.

M.D

The game is on PC that's why, even though it's not a "console", the game is still there. Most of people that are not informed and read this will really think that the game is not on PC.
Most people who aren't aware that this is on PC probably wouldn't purchase it on PC either

TBiddy

It's because "ps4 console" and "exclusive game" are seemingly different sizes and widths, maybe even font?

It reads and looks like: "this is an exclusive game to the ps4 console".

This. If this makes it to Denmark with that branding, I'd argue that there might be a case concering misleading advertising.

KingBroly

Banned
Most people who aren't aware that this is on PC probably wouldn't purchase it on PC either

I'm pretty sure most people know SF5 is coming to PC. Especially the ones who are going to play it for years. It also tells you while playing online if you're facing a PC player or not, so...yeah, gonna get out there.

Great to see the narrative that PC is not a direct competitor of either consoles is bearing fruits.

I'm 100% okay with "console" exclusives. Let Sony and Microsoft carry on with their petty squabbles.

I'm happy with that. I hope PC will keep not being seen as a threat or a competitor so that I can keep enjoying these "console exclusive" remaining "console exclusive" and coming to PC.

Doesn't look like official branding to me.

It's pretty ugly and should just say "Only on Playstation".

Makes sense. People know Street Fighter regardless the console they own. When they grab the packaging they'll see it's exclusive in some way. I don't know how many people who casually browse the video game aisles have the option to get it for their PC or are even thinking about that though.

I'd venture to say there's a ton of XB1 only owners who don't game on PC and will be in for a real surprise when they walk into Gamestop/BestBuy etc.

BibiMaghoo

'Console exclusive' makes it sound like it's on PS3. 'Only on PS4' is factually incorrect. What else could they use to state it's only on PS4 with consoles? It looks a bit silly, but it's reasonable.

Skux

'Console exclusive' makes it sound like it's on PS3. 'Only on PS4' is factually incorrect. What else could they use to state it's only on PS4 with consoles? It looks a bit silly, but it's reasonable.

What? Everyone knows the PS3 and PS4 are different consoles.

"Platform exclusive" might have been a bit waffly, but still not misleading.

And anyway, this is hardly a new thing:

inFamous-2-PS4-Cover-237x300.jpg

UnrealEck

'Console exclusive' is a term of desperation. Trying to cling to the 'exclusive' word.
Microsoft did it with calling Windows gaming part of Xbox too. One of their games was XBO and PC and they said it was exclusive to Xbox.

It just makes them look like they're desperate to me to cling to the 'exclusive' term as a marketing ploy.

I think you're overestimating Killer Instinct and underestimating SF.

Killer Instinct had buzz as a launch title for Xbox One. This isn't a pissing contest just an observation. Sony doesn't need this exclusive to sell consoles lol. This is about perception and maintaining pace within the FGC.

DigSCCP

I dont get all the rage.
Yeah it does look ugly but beside that whats wrong?
Didnt Sony put money on SFV production? So why they shouldnt promote that on consoles the game is coming only on PS4?
For us this doesn't make any difference.
For a average console consumer its a clear message that if he wants to play it he will need a PS4...

Neoxon

Makes sense, I suppose.

I'm also liking the final version of the statue. I may just upgrade my pre-order.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm glad we've started to do this, it's about time we let people know about exclusive console experiences for the PlayStation®4.

You guys must have no idea the average consumer represent then. Nothing about it is confusing or non straight forward , it is ugly tho

Nzyme32

it is? why?
It's dumb, but not dishonest

How so?

It does look ugly though.

I can see the point, mostly because I have friends that do not know there is a difference in the terms and think that these console exclusive games are not available anywhere else including PCs. In that sense it can be misleading. Having said that, all of the people in question are surprised by finding that isn't the case, but are not really affected by it since they stick with consoles anyway

thuway

A cooler idea would be to make exclusive games have a completely different colored box. Instead of blue, why not make it yellow or metallic black or something? It would help it stand out and get the point across.

Nzyme32

A cooler idea would be to make exclusive games have a completely different colored box. Instead of blue, why not make it yellow or metallic black or something? It would help it stand out and get the point across.

A different colour completely would be a mess. A different shade of blue that is different enough to separate them from the others, that would be pretty interesting.

How many people even live in that country? Probably doesn't matter overall

Can confirm. Europe is a facade. It's just me and my dog here.

On topic it works as others have stated, by stating facts. It is on the only marketed "console" out right now with PC not counting.

Still think they could do a better job with the logo.

I still don't think PC is a direct competitor (and so does Sony apparently) and most people who play on PC are savvy enough to know about the SFV situation.

As someone else said, all it does is tell the avarage customer "Not on Xbox One" and that's all that matters for the marketing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well it's not like they're going to be competing with retail space for Street Fighter V on PC anyway.

On shelves, to the average consumer, this just says "not on Xbox".

Chobel

It's because "ps4 console" and "exclusive game" are seemingly different sizes and widths, maybe even font?

If it was that "console" was written with the smaller font and "exclusive" written with the bigger font, then I could see your point. But in here they're emphasizing the "PS4 console" not "exclusive".

If you read it from top to bottom like normally, it reads "this ain't on Xbox".

Top Bottom