• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

BibiMaghoo

What? Everyone knows the PS3 and PS4 are different consoles.

"Platform exclusive" might have been a bit waffly, but still not misleading.

And anyway, this is hardly a new thing:

inFamous-2-PS4-Cover-237x300.jpg

Of course they do, what everyone doesn't know is if this game is on PS3 in addition to PS4. Now they do by looking at the cover. I'm not sure what part of that you found confusing.

ps3ud0

Well thats a bit sad - guess Sony really dont want any chance of not making it obvious its not coming on the XO

ps3ud0 8)

They should have called the game Street Fighter V PS4 Exclusion
No worse than Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper or Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight for the Future.

Yep. And that must suuuuuuck so hard.

Majority of X1 owners probably don't even know its PS4 console exclusive yet.
Casuals rule the roost.

I love how aggressive this shit sounds too. "this game is a PS4 console exclusive." It's like someone yelling in your ear telling you to forget about the PC version

Aggressive? Come now that's overboard.

It's not even Sony's perogative to hawk you the PC version either lol.

Zalman

It's funny because the majority of people buying this will read it as "PS4 console" exclusive game, not PS4 "console exclusive game".

That's the issue. I wouldn't mind if it just says "console exclusive"
PS4 CONSOLE
EXCLUSIVE GAME

This reads like the game is exclusive to the PS4 console, not that it's a game coming out to PC as well.

It's misleading to say the least, but then again, not the first time sony does this kinda of stuff.
Who exactly is this going to confuse?

All the people going to Best Buy and GameStop to buy their PC games?

It's as literal as it can possibly be. It is exclusive, on consoles, to the PS4. PC is not a console. PC gamers won't even see this because they don't buy their games physically, and haven't for years. Seems like a real reach to be at odds with *this* of all things.

Seeing the collector's edition in the OP makes me sad that we're not getting anything special here at all for this launch othee than a Game-exclusive steelbook...

jfoul

Killer Instinct was a strategic move on part of MS to move more consoles and establish a bigger following in the FGC. Like I said lets not have a pissing contest we both know SF5 is the king of the hill. This move is about perception. MS was the dominant fighting game console last gen for one reason. The online was more stable. The perception from many in the fighting community was that 360 was a better console for fighting games. I have to agree with that notion. SF5 as an exclusive changes the conversation totally.

The PS3 also had frame drops in some games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 that caused problems in tournaments. Right now the PS4 doesn't have these problems, and has pulled in the big fish with SFV. Even if Xbone One eventually gets a different version of SFV(Ex: Super, Ultra), the PS4 is already the default console at tournaments for this generation. I think it was a good business move for Sony.

VariantX

then people would have been idiots and speculated it was coming to NX

this. I feel like at this point people need to be blunt as possible and avoid as much of the ambiguity as possible. I remember the mess dealing with Rise of the Tomb Raider because Microsoft wanted to be ambiguous instead of saying, either timed exclusivity on xbox one or first on xbox one. They should have made it clear from the first second.

What about the games that will release first on PS4, like the new Kojima game for example. They'll just put "Exclusive PS4" in the boxart?

Other than saying "NOT ON XBONE, LOL" how else could they word it succinctly to get across the same point, without referencing PC or Windows?

it is console exclusive to the PS4.

It requires the distinction between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo "consoles" and the platform of PC to be wider knowledge. That's whats causing some peoples opinions of dishonesty regarding the games dual availability. If Sony could forgo the business drive they could be completely transparent and put:

"Only available on PS4 and PC"

That would never happen however. It's better for business to bank on the public lack of awareness, while still telling a white lie which is severe as this could be considered. If someone doesn't like it they can amend the cover themselves.

GHG

What the fuck is wrong with some of you?

People are seriously getting upset about this? It's definitely the off season for a certain console eh?

The PS3 also had frame drops in some games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 that caused problems in tournaments. Right now the PS4 doesn't have these problems, and has pulled in the big fish with SFV. Even if Xbone One eventually gets a different version of SFV(Ex: Super, Ultra), the PS4 is already the default console at tournaments for this generation. I think it was a good business move for Sony.

Not happening.

TBiddy

That would be the logical choice, indeed.

Sony isn't outright saying that SFV is exclusive to the PS4, but just as Microsoft can do PR, so can Sony. This wording is no accident and it's definitely not the most upfront wording they could choose.

It requires the distinction between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo "consoles" and the platform of PC to be wider knowledge. That's whats causing some peoples opinions of dishonesty regarding the games dual availability. If Sony could forgo the business drive they could be completely transparent and put:

That would never happen however. It's better for business to bank on the public lack of awareness, while still telling a white lie which is severe as this could be considered. If someone doesn't like it they can amend the cover themselves.
Yes, advertise for someone else's business.

That sounds like a brilliant strategy.

It is. People that post on gamer forums may understand what 'console exclusive' means but the average consumer does not. He will think that the game is available only for the Playstation 4 which is not true.

The average consumer that thinks that way does not have a computer that can handle this game, therefore that point is moot.

I think that means it will suck for Xbox One owners that walk into a store trying to buy SFV next month.

Yeah definitely.
Will be unfortunate for those folks. I'd imagine they were some PS4 casuals trying to buy Tomb Raider over Xmas too lol.

PS4 CONSOLE
EXCLUSIVE GAME

This reads like the game is exclusive to the PS4 console, not that it's a game coming out to PC as well.

It's misleading to say the least, but then again, not the first time sony does this kinda of stuff.

I think you're reaching.

Joe Schmo walking into the store would read that label and think its coming only to PS4 and not to XB1, which is factually correct.

Again, I don't think its Sony's job to sell SFV in retail space for PC which is dead anyway.

Who exactly is this going to confuse?

All the people going to Best Buy and GameStop to buy their PC games?

It's as literal as it can possibly be. It is exclusive, on consoles, to the PS4. PC is not a console. PC gamers won't even see this because they don't buy their games physically, and haven't for years. Seems like a real reach to be at odds with *this* of all things.

It's not about units sold, it's about marketing perception.

I'm pretty sure these type of marketing won't be just in the boxes, it will promoted something along those lines: http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/arkham-knight-ps4-exclusive.jpg

And that creates a false perception that this and other games are just on Ps4, even though it's not true. Yeah, an informed person knows better, but that doesn't mean it's misleading marketing.

GHG

It is. People that post on gamer forums may understand what 'console exclusive' means but the average consumer does not. He will think that the game is available only for the Playstation 4 which is not true.

Does this average consumer have a gaming PC?

Heartfyre

PS4 CONSOLE
EXCLUSIVE GAME

Why should PlayStation highlight the PC release on their branding of the PS4 version of the game? The words that are there are only stating that you can't play it on any other console, which is true and not misleading.

The most I can give you is that it should just be labelled "Console Exclusive Game" instead. The "PS4" is unnecessary since there's a giant PS4 on the other side of the banner.

May not be visually pleasing to some people but I don't think its offensive. There are probably going to be more Xbox gamers who don't know its not on XB1 than PC gamers who don't know its a PC game too. Sony hasn't been hiding the fact that it's on PC at all.

Also say you're primarily a PC gamer, why are you looking through the PS4 games? Wouldn't you be going through the PC games section first? SFV is a game big enough to warrant a physical release. I'm assuming this will be front and center on Steam when it comes out as well.

I honestly don't know why anyone but console warriors would give a shit about this. The level of salt from certain people about this is kind of unnecessary. Save your sodium for something that matters.

I hope this gets Phil to show Killer Instinct the money. I don't see why Killer Instinct can't continue to build its brand. Hell MKX sold 6 million. A fighting games arms race is good for the FGC. I originally wanted Boon to reboot KI anyway and nobody would listen.

I hope this gets Phil to show Killer Instinct the money. I don't see why Killer Instinct can't continue to build its brand. Hell MKX sold 6 million. A fighting games arms race is good for the FGC. I originally wanted Boon to reboot KI anyway and nobody would listen.

You seem salty even though you claimed you are not.

Warxard

Banned

I'm glad they didn't listen, MKX is trash

Season 3 is on the way, so they've been doing a good job of supporting it. Just keep making pools of money for people to play and keep supporting it so that all fighting games have to step up their game.

It's not about units sold, it's about marketing perception.

I'm pretty sure these type of marketing won't be just in the boxes, it will promoted something along those lines: http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/arkham-knight-ps4-exclusive.jpg

And that creates a false perception that this and other games are just on Ps4, even though it's not true. Yeah, an informed person knows better, but that doesn't mean it's misleading marketing.
If you're in the store and seeing that branding, then it's exclusive to the platform you're seeing the branding on.

PC gamers are among the savviest bunch of gamers out there, because it's requires a little bit more knowledge to run/upgrade/operate than just plugging a box into a wall and putting a disc in and pressing X.

If you're telling me PC gamers are going to be baffled by this logo on a box, that isn't false, then I think we have a bigger issue to talk about here.

I'm not surprised certain people are upset by this.

I would imagine the overlap of people who own a gaming PC and people who don't understand the meaning of "console exclusive" is almost no one, sooooo whose hypothetical honor are we defending here? Seems like faux outrage.

I mean, do you really think there are a lot of 'average consumers' that have a powerful gaming rig that can run SFV, just happen to be browsing the PS4 games at Best Buy, and think "aw fuck- only PS4!", and completely miss the same game in the PC section?

Do people not research games that interest them anymore?

I'm really trying to give you "it's SO dishonest" folks the benefit of the doubt, but it's tough.

Shahed

While it's perfectly valid, it does look pretty ugly. I prefer box arts to be as clean as possible. The less words and logos, the better. While I'm not particularly interested in Street Fighter V, there are several more PS4/PC games coming over the next year or two that I really want. I'd rather they don't have the branding personally. Or if they do have a reversible cover.

Good messaging. It's clear and to the point. People who don't follow the message boards need to know that you can only buy these games on one system. Last thing Sony wants is somebody buying an Xbox thinking they can play SFV, U4, No Man's Sky, or one of the other dozens of PS4 exclusive games.

Killer Instinct was a strategic move on part of MS to move more consoles and establish a bigger following in the FGC. Like I said lets not have a pissing contest we both know SF5 is the king of the hill. This move is about perception. MS was the dominant fighting game console last gen for one reason. The online was more stable. The perception from many in the fighting community was that 360 was a better console for fighting games. I have to agree with that notion. SF5 as an exclusive changes the conversation totally.

Actually, I think the main reason was imput delay. At least in SF4 that was the main reason.

DKHF

What about the games that will release first on PS4, like the new Kojima game for example. They'll just put "Exclusive PS4" in the boxart?
Maybe just "First on PS4" or even if it comes to PC after PS4 "console exclusive" because that's what it is.

Malcolm9

How is it ugly, it's a pretty basic comment that gives the correct message whilst not being obtrusive.

Each to their own and all that, but some people really have some weird thoughts on here.

welcolmtoneogaf.gif

patapuf

I mean, do you really think there are a lot of 'average consumers' that have a powerful gaming rig that can run SFV, just happen to be browsing the PS4 games at Best Buy, and think "aw fuck- only PS4!", and completely miss the same game in the PC section?

Do people not research games that interest them anymore?

I'm really trying to give you "it's SO dishonest" folks the benefit of the doubt, but it's tough.

Eh..assuming something like SFV could be exclusive with how it's advertised isn't farfetched. Neither is someone with a gaming PC having consoles.

I don't really care (most won't pay attention to the label anyway), but the phrase "console exclusive" exists for a reason. And it's not because of it's transparency.

Top Bottom