• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V October Halloween Update

You picked the worst possible scenario to compare to, so that's not saying much.

Here's a better one:
Last year's Ultra SFV Halloween pack:
5-costume bundles for $4 or
44-costume bundle for $20
All with 20 colors each.

Nah playing Overwatch and SFV at the same time has made me realize how similar the two are except for their unlocking systems. They both have a currency system too except its useless in Overwatch so far. SFV has the Street Fighter legacy dragging down the online multiplayer only type game Capcom tried to make. They are using the DOTA and League "hero" type skin pricing. Both are also not free to play. At least we don't get "version's" this time around hopefully this kills Guilty Gear's mentality.

I don't need to draw attention to Crapcom's countless blunders around this mess, it's already there.

If it's not malware people will complain about the overpriced DLC, which they already are.

And nobody is arguing against doing that. Most people are all for complaining about something when they feel its warranted. I agree with that as well. However, what you're doing, just dropping one liners that aren't relevant to thread, is pretty much shitposting.

HotHamBoy

Nah playing Overwatch and SFV at the same time has made me realize how similar the two are except for their unlocking systems. They both have a currency system too except its useless in Overwatch so far. SFV has the Street Fighter legacy dragging down the online multiplayer only type game Capcom tried to make. They are using the DOTA and League "hero" type skin pricing. Both are also not free to play. At least we don't get "version's" this time around hopefully this kills Guilty Gear's mentality.

But future Overwatch characters are free...

RK9039

『Inaba Resident』;218950580 said:
And nobody is arguing against doing that. Most people are all for complaining about something when they feel its warranted. I agree with that as well. However, what you're doing, just dropping one liners that aren't relevant to thread, is pretty much shitposting.

Installing a malware on my computer isn't a joke. Any chance I get to shit on Capcom over their half finished game, which is full of overpriced DLC and empty promises + a friggin rootkit, I will take it. Just like people shitpost on Konami (#FuckKonami) all the time, I'm going to do the same with Crapcom.

And the fact that they try to act like they didn't know what they were doing pisses me off even more.

Stantron

I'll probably buy a couple of these because I want to support the game.
Capcom, you'd probably get more out of me overall if you charged a more reasonable price per costume.

Ame

Still waiting for that update with the Thailand stage and classic costumes. Maybe November?

Spman2099

Still waiting for that update with the Thailand stage and classic costumes. Maybe November?

I am similarly waiting on that. I wonder why they are sitting on them...

Yes, it does.

And, more importantly than stills, it MOVES great. Animation is top notch.

The animations are in a class of their own. The biggest problem is still the backgrounds. They looks SO bad.

Installing a malware on my computer isn't a joke. Any chance I get to shit on Capcom over their half finished game, which is full of overpriced DLC and empty promises + a friggin rootkit, I will take it. Just like people shitpost on Konami (#FuckKonami) all the time, I'm going to do the same with Crapcom.

And the fact that they try to act like they didn't know what they were doing pisses me off even more.

Translation: "ME! ME! ME! Everything must be about me! Don't you guys want to know what I think about something unrelated to this topic?"

vg260

and that "hero" pricing model is driving away a lot of previous DLC whales, because it's such a huge markup compared to the same IP in the franchise, and much more egregious than every other game in the genre. Comparing it to the most shameless abusers of the model is is not a good comparison. If this is the result of their service model for SFV, then the model needs to change. This is just another example of how poorly implemented and or conceived it was.

They don't need to go to the Arcsys route, but their current model sucks. The free-to-earn character idea led to many, many more problems than it was worth, and look at where the game is now in terms of perception. When people who normally eat up DLC are insulted by their pricing, and end up buying nothing as a result, something's been mishandled. If you can accept their pricing, then that's your prerogative, but it is not a good value based on their own recent SF games and other fighters, and a massive price increase is not doing them any favors.

jett

D-Member
Those are some cool costumes. Too bad they didn't make them for the entire cast. Guess it's a catch-22 where they don't want to spend too much money on DLC since the game didn't sell that well to begin with.

Man, why can't I buy the costumes with FM? =/

You're not entitled to premium content.

RK9039

Translation: "ME! ME! ME! Everything must be about me! Don't you guys want to know what I think about something unrelated to this topic?"

Why do you keep replying if it hurts your feelings that much?

And it's not completely unrelated, it's a SFV update thread.

HotHamBoy

we could just have it so you can't earn it at all like other fighters. maybe everyone would starting whining then.

I would be very happy with the $15 for 4 characters model that we got last gen and the 4 costumes for $5 pricing on skins.

I feel like the whole Fight Money thing has been a real Monkey's Paw situation in how things have developed.

Spman2099

and that "hero" pricing model is driving away a lot of previous DLC whales, because it's such a huge markup compared to the same IP in the franchise, and much more egregious than every other game in the genre. Comparing it to the most shameless abusers of the model is is not a good comparison. If this is the result of their service model for SFV, then the model needs to change. This is just another example of how poorly implemented and or conceived it was.

They don't need to go to the Arcsys route, but their current model sucks. The free-to-earn character idea led to many, many more problems than it was worth, and look at where the game is now in terms of perception. When people who normally eat up DLC are insulted by their pricing, and end up buying nothing as a result, something's been mishandled. If you can accept their pricing, then that's your prerogative, but it is not a good value based on their own recent SF games and other fighters, and a massive price increase is not doing them any favors.

I think there was a middle ground that Capcom missed. I don't mind paying more for costumes. That makes sense given the ability to earn the new characters. However, I due to the pricing of the costumes, I pick and choose way more than I would had they been cheaper. So, I think they ultimately end up getting less money from me. That being said, it isn't too late for them to start releasing some costumes at a lower price point, or discounting some of the older costumes at least. I wish it looked like they were still working on figuring this stuff out a little more.

Why do you keep replying if it hurts your feelings that much?

And it's not completely unrelated, it's a SFV update thread.

I just want you to know how little I think of your posts. I want to call you out on your frequent shit posting. On another note, knowing that the rootkit installed on your computer bothered you to that degree does give the rootkit situation a silver lining of a sort.

Secondly, that argument would be more valid if there had been a DLC rootkit costume... Which, to be fair, would have been awesome.

vg260

I would be very happy with the $15 for 4 characters model that we got last gen and the 4 costumes for $5 pricing on skins.

I feel like the whole Fight Money thing has been a real Monkey's Paw situation in how things have developed.

Yup, I agree 100%

I don't think characters needed to be free. Other fighters work just fine with $5 DLC characters and reasonably priced cosmetics and keep the same player base without many complaints about the model or pricing.

jett

D-Member
You mean playing the game?

And they just added daily challenges, that's pretty easy FM.

People that spent FM from survival mode to buy every character (and stage), even those who cheated, probably won't be able to make enough money to buy anything next season. The amount of FM you get in this game is just miserable.

And daily challenges seem to be more like weekly challenges to me.

Aenima

Lol. The season pass here in europe was just in promo for 15€, thats 6 chars and 6 premium costumes + 1 stage. Wait for a promo, buy the season pass... and u would be very happy too... or maybe not, cuz hatting is cooler.

I dont grind, got enought FM for ALL DLC chars. I love the FM mechanic to unlock new characters for free. If you are Happy to pay, buy the season pass. Im happy to geting them for free.

JayEH

Yeah that's true. In hindsight I think most people would want that.

HotHamBoy

Lol. The season pass here in europe was just in promo for 15€, thats 6 chars and 6 premium costumes + 1 stage. Wait for a promo, buy the season pass... and u would be very happy too... or maybe not, cuz hatting is cooler.

I dont grind, got enought FM for ALL DLC chars. I love the FM mechanic to unlock new characters for free. if u Happy to pay, buy the season pass. Im happy to geting them for free.

Well I'll be sure to blow trumpets when America gets that deal. We have only had discounts on the base game and deluxe edition so far.

MrCarter

19_hal36.jpg

It's not.

This would be more accurate if instead of "I don't want other games" he said "But I already paid $60 for SFV."

I also think people need to realizerealize where the anger is coming from. I, myself, was really looking forward to this game. I was blinded by hype and bought it at midnight on launch day, digitally. The "hate" comes from seeing Capcom consistently mishandle a franchise we all love and want to be good. It also comes from Capcom looking greedy and lazy, time and again, while remaining deaf towards criticism.

The reason you keep seeing threads shitting on SFV is because Capcom keeps giving us reasons and has yet to make good for the fuck ups.

No. I think the reason why people like YOU keep on shit posting in SFV threads is because you constantly feel the need to reinforce the narrative that another fighting game you play is better. I admit Capcom have had a poor launch but since then they have implemented and fixed a ton of stuff since and the only thing missing now is an old Arcade mode. I do agree with the price of DLC costumes though but as for the he "already paid $60" well...at least he never paid $60 twice ($120) for Xrd and Revelator.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
People that spent FM from survival mode to buy every character (and stage), even those who cheated, probably won't be able to make enough money to buy anything next season. The amount of FM you get in this game is just miserable.

And daily challenges seem to be more like weekly challenges to me.
Well
1) then they already got more than $30 worth of DLC for free. How is that miserable?
2) if they keep up the daily challenge rate, it's 300k FM per year, so 3 whole characters

MrCarter

I don't need to draw attention to Crapcom's countless blunders around this mess, it's already there.

If it's not malware people will complain about the overpriced DLC, which they already are.

Mate, go and actually do something you enjoy. Trust me, you'll thank me for it. Unless...you enjoy shitposting and trolling then I think you may have some issues.

HotHamBoy

No. I think the reason why people like YOU keep on shit posting in SFV threads is because you constantly feel the need to reinforce the narrative that another fighting game you play is better. I admit Capcom have had a poor launch but since then they have implemented and fixed a ton of stuff since and the only thing missing now is an old Arcade mode. I do agree with the price of DLC costumes though but as for the he "already paid $60" well...at least he never paid $60 twice ($120) for Xrd and Revelator.

ArcSys is not a shining example but they did launch both games feature-complete, crammed with content and looking drop-dead gorgeous. Revelator has released each DLC character for free for the first week, which even non-owners can claim, and Revelator was $24 just the other week on PSN. That's only a few months after the June launch. A little patience got Sign owners a huge upgrade for less than the price of the SFV season pass. Meanwhile, I knew that Rev would come so I just skipped Sign. Even having paid $60 for Rev a couple weeks before the sale, I wasn't mad.

RK9039

I just want you to know how little I think of your posts. I want to call you out on your frequent shit posting. On another note, knowing that the rootkit installed on your computer bothered you to that degree does give the rootkit situation a silver lining of a sort.

Secondly, that argument would be more valid if there had been a DLC rootkit costume... Which, to be fair, would have been awesome.

Well thank god for safe mode. The defence force for this game is quite strong, you wouldn't be singing the same tune if they messed with your system.

The argument is valid regardless of what you think, because what gurantee can Capcom ever give that none of their shitty updates going forward will have more malicious code? How am I supposed to trust them?

Mate, go and actually do something you enjoy. Trust me, you'll thank me for it. Unless...you enjoy shitposting and trolling then I think you may have some issues.

Lol, don't worry I'll be going soon anyways.

Aenima

Well I'll be sure to blow trumpets when America gets that deal. We have only had discounts on the base game and deluxe edition so far.

It will eventually get the same promo there too. Is not like Season passes never drop in price with time.
Yes 30$ is overpriced and the premium costumes prices are overpriced too, but when they offer an alternative way to get the essential for the gameplay for free i dont care about overpriced cosmetics.

I bought SF4 vanilla and got screwed when they launched the super edition as i could not upgrade from the vanilla had and to buy the game again... so i like it much more the new business route they use in SFV where no one will be left out of the main game and all the SFV comunity will remain conected, no matter if u bought the game day 1 or someone that will buy in later on.

jett

D-Member
Well
1) then they already got more than $30 worth of DLC for free. How is that miserable?
2) if they keep up the daily challenge rate, it's 300k FM per year, so 3 whole characters

1) I meant you get almost no FM at all outside of the first-time bonuses. Do you still get 50FM per fight?
2) And yeah that's miserable.

We'll see how the daily challenges evolve.

I think their entire method of doing things is busted. Considering the early access state of the game when it came out, the S1 characters should've been free from the get-go, period. Personally, I don't feel like I "got $30 worth of DLC". Hell I haven't bothered "paying" for some of them since I don't really play 'em. Like Urien, I never played him in 3S, I doubt I'd ever learn to play him in SFV, even if I didn't have to pay for him.

woodland

Man - this looks awesome. I really hope some of the devs from the games I play (Halo, Dota, etc.) do some Halloween updates this year. Been dying for Diretide for awhile now and Haunted Colosseum last year just didn't cut it. D: Rocket League needs another too - hopefully with a cool game mode and not just cosmetics.

HotHamBoy

It will eventually get the same promo there too. Is not like Season passes never drop in price with time.
Yes 30$ is overpriced and the premium costumes prices are overpriced too, but when they offer an alternative way to get the essential for the gameplay for free i dont care about overpriced cosmetics.

I bought SF4 vanilla and got screwed when they launched the super edition as i could not upgrade from the vanilla had to buy the game again... so i like it much more the new business route they use in SFV where no one will be left out of the main game and all the SFV comunity will remain conected, no matter if u bought the game day 1 or someone that will buy in later on.

Well, actually, I think $30 for the Season Pass is a fair price and I haven't complained about that, really. You get 6 characters for $5 each with a bonus costume for each, plus a stage. That's not bad!

It's the total lack of features, the way FM is earned and portioned, the color unlocks, the costume and stage pricing... all that is BS and it's all BECAUSE FM is a thing that colors are hard to unlock so they can sell them, that the costumes are $4 with no bundle, etc.

And the CPT DLC is just a scam.

As far as SSFIV goes, you really think you got screwed? 10 new characters, new stages, new Ultras, new balance and a total UI refresh for $40 is a way better value than the $30 Season Pass of SFV.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
1) I meant you get almost no FM at all outside of the first-time bonuses. Do you still get 50FM per fight?
2) And yeah that's miserable.

We'll see how the daily challenges evolve.

I think their entire method of doing things is busted. Considering the early access state of the game when it came out, the S1 characters should've been free from the get-go, period. Personally, I don't feel like I "got $30 worth of DLC characters". Hell I haven't bothered "paying" for some of them since I don't really play 'em. Like Urien, I never played him in 3S, I doubt I'd ever learn to play him in SFV, even if I didn't have to pay for him.
They give you half of the season pass for free if you do some easy regular stuff. HOW IS THAT MISERABLE? This makes absolutely no sense to me. They wouldn't need to give you anything at all. That's how past games did it.

jett

D-Member
Well, actually, I think $30 for the Season Pass is a fair price and I haven't complained about that, really. You get 6 characters for $5 each with a bonus costume for each, plus a stage. That's not bad!

It's the total lack of features, the way FM is earned and portioned, the color unlocks, the costume and stage pricing... all that is BS and it's all BECAUSE FM is a thing that colors are hard to unlock so they can sell them, that the costumes are $4 with no bundle, etc.

As far as SSFIV goes, you really think you got screwed? 10 new characters, new stages, new Ultras, new balance and a total UI refresh for $40 is a way better value than the $30 Season Pass of SFV.

Among all the bad decisions related to SFV, the color unlocks are definitely the worst and just flat out the scummiest. An awful, awful decision to gatekeep everything but 2P color behind the horrific bullshit that is survival mode. Obviously fueled by greed. Unfortunately for Capcom, their own store never worked, and people managed to mod the game eventually anyway. Shit, even unlocking every color with the mod can take a long-ass time. It's just shit what they did. Should've had regular 6 colors from the start, and make the rest pure DLC. Yeah I'd prefer that, Survival mode is just that bad.

JayEH

They give you half of the season pass for free if you do some easy regular stuff. HOW IS THAT MISERABLE? This makes absolutely no sense to me. They wouldn't need to give you anything at all. That's how past games did it.

Yeah I never understand this...that's not even including the piss easy fm you get from story mode and easy survival. FM has really screwed people's perspective on things. It's like people are treating the characters as something that is in the game already to be unlocked as opposed to paid dlc that can be earned for free.

MrCarter

Yup, I agree 100%

I don't think characters needed to be free. Other fighters work just fine with $5 DLC characters and reasonably priced cosmetics and keep the same player base without many complaints about the model or pricing.

That's the thing though. SFIV separated a LOT of the player base by releasing 4/5 different versions of the game that not a lot people wanted to update to. I managed to get all characters for free and some stages in SFV and will be kept in the same healthy player base without needing to buy a new game like Revelator or MKXL.

one_kill

I like being able to get individual costumes, but they cost too much.

That said, I'd buy a costume for a character I use if it looks good... even if I feel ashamed doing it.

I also wanted to say that every character should get a costume and not just a select few.

That's the thing though. SFIV separated a LOT of the player base by releasing 4/5 different versions of the game that not a lot people wanted to update to. I managed to get all characters for free and some stages in SFV and will be kept in the same healthy player base without needing to buy a new game like Revelator or MKXL.

MKXL additions were a free update for people with MKX. All MKXL did was bundle all the additional content on the same disc. You could download the MKXL online improvements in a patch if you only had the MKX disc and play with those people.

Aenima

Yes 30$ is overpriced for me. I would only consider it good value at that price if included all cosmetics and stages that they released during the 1st season. I dont even bought it for 15€ as i refuse to pay more than 10€ for it.

CPT DLC is a diferent thing. It was made to increase the prize money of the tornaments. Is there for the fans of the CPT and for anyone that would like to support the CPT as 80% of the revenue of that DLC will go to CPT.

I fail to understand why ppl feel the need that everething need to be cheap just because they wanted it too. SF is not Pokemon... u dont need to catch them all (costumes)

The problem with the SF4 and then Super SF4 was that it splited the userbase. More casual players keeped in the vanilla and only the more hardcore SF fans upgraded, and then they did it again with Ultra version. Not to mention the splited userbase by diferent platforms. In SFV all userbase is in the same servers no matter if u play in PS4 or PC, and this, to me, is much more valuable than cosmetics at a cheaper price.
All balance upgrades in SFV will be free, just like any new game modes. They choosed to make the money out of cosmetics... and I like it much more this way as i easely ignore the cosmetics.

MrCarter

MKXL additions were a free update for people with MKX. All MKXL did was bundle all the additional content on the same disc. You could download the MKXL online improvements in a patch if you only had the MKX disc and play with those people.

Ah cool I thought it was a completely new update you had to buy.

vg260

MKXL kept the same player base from MKX. You didn't have to pay anything to get the update patch, only if you wanted the new characters, and everyone got a free stage too. They actually handled it quite well. It wasn't like Revelator at all.

As said earlier, there is a big middle ground area they missed. KI and MKX are both in that middle ground. They have kept the same player base without alienating any one subset of their customer base.

You can keep the player base without exorbitant price increases in DLC. Of course those who don't like costumes are fine with the current model, but at the cost of those who do essentialy subsidizing them. A model with a better compromise is needed. It's not this or Revelator's model.

MrCarter

MKXL kept the same player base from MKX. You didn't have to pay anything to get the update patch, only if you wanted the new characters, and everyone got a free stage too. They actually handled it quite well. It wasn't like Revelator at all.

As said earlier, there is a big middle ground area they missed. KI and MKX are both in that middle ground. They have kept the same player base without alienating any one subset of their customer base.

Well apart from NetherRealm fucking over thier PC fan base you mean lol. I get where you're coming from in terms of the DLC pricing but I'm having a hard time agreeing with you about the Fight Money system. Yes, they could give us more FM via playing online and offline matches but other than that I think it's actually well implemented.

HotHamBoy

But why couldn't Capcom go the AE/Ultra route with content updates via DLC and still maintain a unified userbase by having the balance patches and new features remain free for all?

CPT DLC is a diferent thing. It was made to increase the prize money of the tornaments. Is there for the fans of the CPT and for anyone that would like to support the CPT as 80% of the revenue of that DLC will go to CPT.

Is this a fact? Did they say what the split was?

Top Bottom