• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that no one here feeling disappointed on Capcom not fixing the 8-frames issue.

The thing about that is that whether the 8-frames are intentional or not, the entire game has been balanced with it in mind. It isn't as simple as just fixing the input lag, they would have to rebalance the entire game as well.

So if they are going to reduce the input lag, it would probably come during one of the yearly rebalancings rather than be a simple patch in the middle of nowhere.

qcf x2

Its the only reason I suck at this game though! If they fix it I'll be Diamond 5 minutes later!

Make sure u specify what input delay a good fighting game should have within a 100th of a frame. Like me personally, I require 4.07 frames of input lag to beat Daigo and/or Infiltration. Those guys would destroy me with 8 frames. Fuckin game.

Has this poster had any verified leaks before? Compared to the rest of his post history this just seem very random for him to all of a sudden have information like that.

Not trying to actively discredit him.

Edit: Another post from him

Holy hell guys the parched-ness in here is real. I posted that after running into a Sony rep who was scouting out my local GS for a Playstation VR demo. I asked him about street fighter and he looked at me like I had three heads..

I was just trollin.

Or was I?

Neoxon

Its the only reason I suck at this game though! If they fix it I'll be Diamond 5 minutes later!
6xdbtkW.gif

Xeteh

Make sure u specify what input delay a good fighting game should have within a 100th of a frame. Like me personally, I require 4.07 frames of input lag to beat Daigo and/or Infiltration. Those guys would destroy me with 8 frames. Fuckin game.

I was certain you were gonna say "No, that isn't why you suck" or something to that effect.

Baleoce

Starting to lose my patience with matchmaking tbh :/ Searching 'casual match' for the last 10 minutes, and have the net cast as wide as possible (with "ask" to confirm on), and nothing.

Starting to lose my patience with matchmaking tbh :/ Searching 'casual match' for the last 10 minutes, and have the net cast as wide as possible (with "ask" to confirm on), and nothing.

Mines took forever and i got a rollback cunt..get off the wifi fuckers..

Baleoce

lol.. I just realised watching that shadowplay back, that i just fought my doppelganger in rank. They had the exact same number as me, both in the loading screen and in game.

The issue that everybody has known about since launch, but are only now getting around to bitching about it like 3 months after the fact.

Meanwhile nobody mind the netcode which makes the input lag worse. Meaties just do not work as well as combing after a jab they would just drop. Hell I didn't knew it was possible but I got a regular Counter Hit from Standing Fierce with Nash.

And today faced two lag switchers. An M.Bison who froze the game for 5 seconds just when he's about to get dizzy and a Alex whenever he gets hit and misses a move.

So I turned off v-sync on PC to see if there was any discernable difference. It was slightly easier to block, and I noticed I was defending against things I have a problem with a little more consistency, like spin-knuckle cross-ups or Ken runs. Still, the framerate getting unwieldy at times made things a little too awkward for me, so I went back in the end. Was an interesting little experiment though. There is a noticeable difference, though how major it is is another question entirely.

Swarna

The issue that everybody has known about since launch, but are only now getting around to bitching about it like 3 months after the fact.

I've been bitching about the PC version not being the standard since launch due to the input lag difference. It's mainly because I regularly switch between both and the difference is jarring. Most people don't have that luxury so of course they wouldn't bitch about it.

Honestly, I have more fun on the offline PC version (g-sync/vsync off) because I have a little more time to hit confirm (important on characters like Ken) and because whiff punishing is slightly more viable. Predicting and timing buffered counter-hit normals is fun and all but having more time to react to whiffs themselves just makes the game more enjoyable. Also far more easier to anti-air on characters like Karin and Nash.

Like, SF4 on a bad connection still doesn't have as much input lag as SF5. It's really too much and makes the game less enjoyable.

Did I just fought some kind of bot? Is this a thing? That Ken did the exact same moves at the exact same moment on reaction to my imputs.30 something winstreak, 2000 lp.
When he's life was about 25% in the final round, he stopped moving and disconnected...

LakeEarth

Fought my first Super Platinum in ranked!

BEAT my first Super Platinum in ranked!

Had my first Super Platinum drop on me in ranked!

Fuck you GodKingLockdown! Rank #278 my ass.

Edzi

I've been bitching about the PC version not being the standard since launch due to the input lag difference. It's mainly because I regularly switch between both and the difference is jarring. Most people don't have that luxury so of course they wouldn't bitch about it.

Honestly, I have more fun on the offline PC version (g-sync/vsync off) because I have a little more time to hit confirm (important on characters like Ken) and because whiff punishing is slightly more viable. Predicting and timing buffered counter-hit normals is fun and all but having more time to react to whiffs themselves just makes the game more enjoyable. Also far more easier to anti-air on characters like Karin and Nash.

Like, SF4 on a bad connection still doesn't have as much input lag as SF5. It's really too much and makes the game less enjoyable.

You forcing the game to have less lag by turning off vsync and using a gsync monitor is exactly why this argument is silly. Both platforms run pretty much identically unless you essentially mod the PC version, and having to mod a game to force it to run more to your liking is a poor argument to determine what should be considered the standard.

Also, when did 4-5 ms of input delay become a standard anyway? I was under the impression that all games had different amounts of delay, and from what we've been hearing it sounds like Capcom made a conscious decision to have SFV run with 8 frames of delay. That's just how the game plays, and it's weird that people who don't like it are demanding it play more like other games instead of just dealing with the differences. Once again, I say all this assuming this was a deliberate decision by Capcom, since things would obviously be different if it seemed like it was all a mistake that the game wasn't balanced around.

Just installed an octagonal gate on my new stick and my first match already caused a Ryu to RQ in casual. This stick is so tight and responsive and this gate is making a huge difference. It's like night and day.

Swarna

Also, when did 4-5 ms of input delay become a standard anyway? I was under the impression that all games had different amounts of delay, and from what we've been hearing it sounds like Capcom made a conscious decision to have SFV run with 8 frames of delay. That's just how the game plays, and it's weird that people who don't like it are demanding it play more like other games instead of just dealing with the differences. Once again, I say all this assuming this was a deliberate decision by Capcom, and things would be different if it seemed like it was all a mistake that the game wasn't balanced around.

I don't believe it was a "deliberate" decision by Capcom, at least in terms of the gameplay and balance itself. The netcode was outsourced and adding a huge input buffer was part of making it more consistent. So I believe a lot of that came down to the specific Chinese company that worked on it.

Now, when you compare the netcode to other games (like in that video made comparing different FG's on PC) it's apparent that the implementation is sub-par, both in consistency (there's still a difference offline vs. online) and total input lag (higher input lag than other games, whether they implemented variable input lag or added a buffer for consistency). On top of that you have the one-sided rollback issue.

Since the high input lag is a side-effect of the netcode implementation (not an inherent design choice in terms of gameplay) and considering they fucked the netcode itself up, it is absolutely not weird at all to criticize the input lag. We have neither the cake, nor the means to eat it. You can bet that if Capcom somehow gets a team to work on the netcode again to fix/improve it that the input lag isn't gonna be off-limits due to "design" choices. This shit comes down to budget. That is all.

FYI, if the PS4 and/or SF5 supported higher refresh rates (completely software-dependent, no idea if games can specifically access that option) along with PS4 SFV having a v-sync toggle, there would be no reason not to play with v-sync off since tearing isn't visible at all on a normal non-gsync 144hz monitor (for SFV). Capcom are well within their means to do something about giving PS4 users better options even if they don't fix the netcode itself.

Playing with Zangief, I am right next to Ryu, in his face basically, SPD misses because he's doing his over head, I see my SPD fail then the over head hits a split second later, my WTF moment of the day..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom