• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgeward

So... tried playing some Ryu after reading that using a 'standard' character is more beneficial for getting better at the game instead of an odd character who people don't how to fight (*cough*Mika*cough*) and so far it feels like easy mode.

His normals are so good with easy hit confirms into combos. The invincible DP shuts down so much of the opponent's offense and the basic fireball/DP combo is super frustrating for people to deal with.

That's kinda for people who don't have a lot of fighting game experience than anything regarding using "standard" chars. And hard to be standard when you are top tier.

And while his stances may prevent him from being a standard char, Vega helped me get a lot better because you don't have anything to rely on when on wake up defense. And you need to be on point with your situational AAs and A2As. And his claw hurtboxes will make you understand footsies or else you pay for it ;-;

BadWolf

That's kinda for people who don't have a lot of fighting game experience than anything regarding using "standard" chars. And hard to be standard when you are top tier.

And while his stances may prevent him from being a standard char, Vega helped me get a lot better because you don't have anything to rely on when on wake up defense. And you need to be on point with your situational AAs and A2As. And his claw hurtboxes will make you understand footsies or else you pay for it ;-;

Good point, I was feeling bad using him tbh. Not to mention the shoto army is vast enough already lol.

Kinda been winning a lot with Mika so I wasn't sure if I had gotten decent or people just don't know how to play against her so decided to try someone more normal.

I'll try out Vega when I get home from work :)

It amazes me how many people still think Alex's V-Skill is a taunt. I've gotten a few players today who saw me do it, and then immediately started teabagging or taunting. You'd think the sidebar that pops up saying "hard hit" immediately afterwards would cue them in on the fact that I'm not just doing it for show.

Yeah, it isn’t for everyone, you have to be invested in the characters to get the most out of Uncharted games no doubt. For me, it’s like reading the last book to a trilogy though, story is almost more important than gameplay. I appreciate better fundamental games, (I play SF after all lol) but I dunno, UC on hard/crushing is still pretty fun, and this its definitely the strongest gameplay iteration of the franchise. Shooting/movement feel really good, even better in MP.

Doom looks good, but a little too bloody and gruesome for my taste.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from re: narrative. That's fair.

I honestly can't be bothered with Crushing. The Uncharted games always failed at balancing out the higher difficulties since they actively restrict your options in a shooter that is supposed to be about mobility and being quick on your feet in these versatile firefight arenas. 4 especially shines in this, I definitely agree with that, regardless of the shootouts being severely downplayed compared to older iterations, but Crushing has always punished you for playing the way Uncharted wants you to play. At least the stealth is more fleshed out though.

Granted, this is not a shortcoming unique to Naughty Dog's games; plenty of US / EU developers fail to realize what could hypothetically make higher difficulties far more enticing beyond arbitrarily upping health and damage values, with the number of Japanese developers who do have their heads on straight also dwindling. I wish more games handled difficulty increases like Ninja Gaiden Black or (to a lesser extent) Platinum's offerings where applicable, regardless of genre, since a lot of variables are tweaked there ranging from A.I. behaviour, enemy placement, brand new enemies, re-arranging item locations et cetera. More expensive and demanding for the dev team to pull off, sure, but it's worth it in the end.

A good chunk of those images are rather misleading with how some hitboxes do not correctly overlap with a move's corresponding animation frames.

Scotia

Banned
Dudley and Gotch

dudley.jpg

K.jpg

Pompadour

Dudley's new outfit isn't bad but it feels like it was changed mostly to distinguish him from Eagle's outfit. I'd rather Eagle would have received a redesign because Dudley's design is perfect.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from re: narrative. That's fair.

I honestly can't be bothered with Crushing. The Uncharted games always failed at balancing out the higher difficulties since they actively restrict your options in a shooter that is supposed to be about mobility and being quick on your feet in these versatile firefight arenas. 4 especially shines in this, I definitely agree with that, regardless of the shootouts being severely downplayed compared to older iterations, but Crushing has always punished you for playing the way Uncharted wants you to play. At least the stealth is more fleshed out though.

Granted, this is not a shortcoming unique to Naughty Dog's games; plenty of US / EU developers fail to realize what could hypothetically make higher difficulties far more enticing beyond arbitrarily upping health and damage values, with the number of Japanese developers who do have their heads on straight also dwindling. I wish more games handled difficulty increases like Ninja Gaiden Black or (to a lesser extent) Platinum's offerings where applicable, regardless of genre, since a lot of variables are tweaked there ranging from A.I. behaviour, enemy placement, brand new enemies, re-arranging item locations et cetera. More expensive and demanding for the dev team to pull off, sure, but it's worth it in the end.

A good chunk of those images are rather misleading with how some hitboxes do not correctly overlap with a move's corresponding animation frames.
TLOU on Grounded might be ND’s best effort in that regard. I heard MGSV is also pretty fun on harder difficulties.

vg260

What is the deal with these character pictures? Is this official Capcom canon stuff?

Or just some artist commissions for fun? or not official at all.

I thought this was some stuff an ex-Capcom or previously contracted artist did for fun.

What is the deal with these character pictures? Is this official Capcom canon stuff?

I thought this was some stuff an ex-Capcom or previously contracted artist did for fun.
Initial concept art that Capcom did for practically every character in the SF universe. I guess it was done to try and decide which characters should be added or to bring up concepts of visual redesigns and stuff.

Ryce

They're official. Capcom posts a new daily character profile here.

Maybe they finally came back to their senses and will reveal the character with a trailer during the Stunfest this week-end?
Nah, who am i kidding...

starting to wonder, we have been waiting longer for whoever this month is than Alex and Guile now, right?

Ryce

To be honest, I don't want any other SFII characters to return besides Akuma. SFIV felt more like a nostalgic best of compilation rather than a game with its own identity. I want to see more newcomers and long forgotten characters like Nash, Alex, and Urien. Currently, we have nine playable characters who appeared in SFIV and nine who didn't. I think that's a good balance.

I hope Capcom brings Honda back for season 2 (and pianoing).
I wouldn't mind for him to be the character that has the classic button mash input for it but I also wouldn't mind if they changed to be more like Chun-Li's lightning legs with the qcf motion.

Perhaps make it a half-circle motion.

Xeteh

So I am assume that we are going to get character release information at Stunfest this weekend or Combo Breaker next weekend?

I've given up trying to guess. I wish their announcements had some sort of structure so it wasn't this frustrating waiting game of "well they did it on x date last month but the month before it was y". I don't get why they have such an issue with being a little more forthcoming with information.

JayEH

I've given up trying to guess. I wish their announcements had some sort of structure so it wasn't this frustrating waiting game of "well they did it on x date last month but the month before it was y". I don't get why they have such an issue with being a little more forthcoming with information.

must just be Capcom Japan being stubborn. Thought they learned last month with Guile.

yeah i think i'm just gonna drop it so i can just be surprised whenever they reveal something, lol

Yeah after the way they handled Guile last month I thought they figured out a good way to do their reveals. That trailer was put up on April 19th which was the second to last Tuesday of the month so if they are keen on keeping the same reveal schedule that would put it at May 24th giving them a week to make a release on May 31st.

I just want to know who it is and a quick breakdown in a post or something. I can wait for the trailer for a couple of days to be honest.

Xeteh

Yeah Karen is easily the best character this game.

image.php

I just want to know who it is and a quick breakdown in a post or something. I can wait for the trailer for a couple of days to be honest.

I wouldn't even care about the breakdown if they at least said who was coming out that month early on, maybe something halfway through and then a big reveal before release. Just about anything would be better than their current approach.

I wouldn't even care about the breakdown if they at least said who was coming out that month early on, maybe something halfway through and then a big reveal before release. Just about anything would be better than their current approach.

All we can really hope for at this point is that they lay better groundwork for season 2 and give a more concrete layout for the season pass similar to how KI handles their character releases.

Finally getting the hang out of charge characters recently have really made me more excited to play Balrog now.
Welcome to the light. I feel like charge characters are honestly the way to go when learning a fighting game since they force you to become way more familiar with your normals. Generally speaking, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom