• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

XenoRaven

All of the fighting games I play give you at least some meter for getting hit. Also, you can build V-meter without ever getting hit at all, while at the same time gaining access to a useful tool for each individual character.

" In ST you can gain enough meter by getting hit or blocking to get a super which leads to huge damage, that many players would say, is unbalanced and shift the focus of the game from fundamentals to explosive damage you got by losing. "

Actually, you don't gain meter in ST if you get hit or block. If you're getting steamrolled it can be hard to get a full meter.

Skilletor

Of course you can. The Rose player Luffy's gameplan in several matches is to focus absorb as many attcls as possible to get ultra 2 multiple times per match. Other easy to combo or use ultras are used in the same way. Xfactor in Marvel is often used to maintain a lead. Etc. comback mechanics come in many forms. In ST you can gain enough meter by getting hit or blocking to get a super which leads to huge damage, that many players would say, is unbalanced and shift the focus of the game from fundamentals to explosive damage you got by losing.

And they're fair. Especially in SF where offense has huge rewards in the form of dizzy, better meter gain and strong setups. And, comparing the rewards for winning and losing usually ends up with the winning player having better and easier to use tools to maintain the lead.

My bad, forgot about focus, so there is a way, but fact remains you will get an ultra in the process of losing the match. For doing nothing other than losing. You're 100% wrong about St.

Supers can be used to come back, but they are not designed specifically to aid losing players the way ultras are. They are not a comeback mechanic in St.

Vice

" In ST you can gain enough meter by getting hit or blocking to get a super which leads to huge damage, that many players would say, is unbalanced and shift the focus of the game from fundamentals to explosive damage you got by losing. "

Actually, you don't gain meter in ST if you get hit or block. If you're getting steamrolled it can be hard to get a full meter.
Must have confused the meter gain you get for getting your attacks blicked or specials stuffed with gaining meter on hit. My bad.

nded

I think the character lists would be more interesting if the poster included what they think should be the character's V-Skill and V-Trigger.

Like, if Dan were in the game I think his V-Skill would be a taunt that does little to no damage but can "hit" opponents like Dudley's rose and builds meter quick. His V-Trigger would involve him concentrating his Saikyo Power to temporarily become a competent fighter.

Flowmoney

I hope Street Fighter V adds in Rival Schools/Project Justice characters. Batsu and Kyosuke could be the Cody/Guy duo from that series.

That would be the closest thing to a new Rival Schools.

Raitaro

I don't want sf2 characters. I liked what they did with sf3. They kept the iconic characters and replaced the rest. If it weren't for sf3 people wouldn't be asking for q, makoto, Sean, etc. They need to do another refresh after sfiv.

These are my thoughts exactly as well. SFV - more than anything else - needs a fresh, unique identity, not be another nostalgia-driven rethread of SFII, Alpha or even III. Going with a largely new roster would go a long way to accomplishing this (together with new gameplay mechanics, music and overall aesthetics).

While I still like SFIV quite a bit, compared to II, Alpha and III I do feel the game lacks such an identity and this hurts my enjoyment and longing to return to it greatly. I understand why IV had to be the way it was to reach the majority of past SF fans, but now that it helped put the genre back on the map again while still being played actively as well, V can stand to take a few more risks to carve out its own identity.

(And if they do decide it's best to have a majority of veterans again, I hope they at least go with the more underused ones like Alex, Sean, Oro, Necro, Twelve, Q, Urien, Karin, R. Mika, Juri and not ones from II and Alpha again. That or go with redesigns of veterans, like in Charlie's case.)

Tabris

Kind of lame that parry is exclusive to Ryu.

I remember playing SF 3rd Strike with friends. And while we weren't that good, whenever we would get off a parry in a clutch moment it was just one of those "OH SHIT" turn-around moments.

Plus there's the whole Daigo or whatever his name is Ken vs Chun-Li video

SF5 needs that. Unless it has that and I'm not seeing it?

street fighter without ken?
what is this nonsense.
street fighter is not street fighter without ken, ryu and chun li
Should be in the OP for all the drive by "leave him out this time post" really f'n annoying.

To be honest though, If Capcom isn't putting in work to make him different, more flashy, focused on kicks etc...(not sure what his special input would be if Ryu only has parry, dodge/roll maybe?) then they should leave him out as SFV is supposed to be all about each character being unique. I just won't be there at launch. And a TON of people, particularly from the casual side will be disappointed if Ken is some DLC incentive. lol...ppl on forums must not realize how much nostalgia plays a part in the series staying popular all this time.

alstein

I'm fine with Ken, especially if he's changed gameplay-wise.

I just don't want alternate versions of chars like Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, Shin Akuma, Angelic Bison, "Hollywood" Alex, Cactus Cracker Jack...

Mike M

Nick N
I think the character lists would be more interesting if the poster included what they think should be the character's V-Skill and V-Trigger.

Like, if Dan were in the game I think his V-Skill would be a taunt that does little to no damage but can "hit" opponents like Dudley's rose and builds meter quick. His V-Trigger would involve him concentrating his Saikyo Power to temporarily become a competent fighter.
I'm having kind of a hard time imagining unique ideas for the system, and it's a little worrying that we haven't seen much variety in the four characters revealed so far. Ryu, Bison, and Nash's V-skill are all variations on nullifying an attack (granted Nash is limited to projectiles). Chun-Li, Ryu, and Bison's V-Trigger are all "power up" modes. Only Chun's V-Skill and Nash's V-Trigger look truly unique, and neither look as useful as the rest.

I guess Urien's V-Trigger being the Aegis Reflectior is a good one (maybe a directional input to alter placement), but beyond that? I don't have a lot of ideas.

jett

D-Member
I don't want sf2 characters. I liked what they did with sf3. They kept the iconic characters and replaced the rest. If it weren't for sf3 people wouldn't be asking for q, makoto, Sean, etc. They need to do another refresh after sfiv.

Yep, I've had enough of the OG 16. SFV doesn't need to be inundated with that shit.

ZdkDzk

I'm having kind of a hard time imagining unique ideas for the system, and it's a little worrying that we haven't seen much variety in the four characters revealed so far. Ryu, Bison, and Nash's V-skill are all variations on nullifying an attack (granted Nash is limited to projectiles). Chun-Li, Ryu, and Bison's V-Trigger are all "power up" modes. Only Chun's V-Skill and Nash's V-Trigger look truly unique, and neither look as useful as the rest.

I guess Urien's V-Trigger being the Aegis Reflectior is a good one (maybe a directional input to alter placement), but beyond that? I don't have a lot of ideas.

I don't agree. Ryu, Bison, and Nash's V-skills all nullify projectiles, but that doesn't seem like the main use for them. Ryu's parry is obvious. Bison's V-skill reflects projectiles and acts as a hit of armor, while Nash can use his as a command grab that steals life (and can be comboed out of I think). The anti-fireball part just feels like something they threw in on top.

I think V-Triggers being mostly power-up modes is fine if they're varied enough. Charlie's is cool, and I want to see more triggers like his, but using the entire meter for 1 use is a little much to me (unless you can use individual bars and I just don't remember). Thw fact that they don't have to be straight buffs is enough for me.

stn

Fireballs can still be strong enough even with anti-projectile V-triggers and all that. SF4 had lots of ultras and EX moves that went through fireballs, but I think fireballs were on the weaker side for completely different reasons.

Skilletor

Ryu's charge up fireballs look super terrifying. And the denjin does so much stun. Not even in the same neighborhood job chun's power up as far as utility.

Ushay

Ryu's charge up fireballs look super terrifying. And the denjin does so much stun. Not even in the same neighborhood job chun's power up as far as utility.

It's really powerful, I'm guessing this will be one of the strongest V Triggers in the game.

My bad, forgot about focus, so there is a way, but fact remains you will get an ultra in the process of losing the match.

The thing is that BOTH players get ultra, though.

If your HP is in the range of being depleted from eating an ultra, that probably means that YOU already have an ultra stocked, too. And, if you have SO much life that you don't have an ultra, then if you get hit by one you'll definitely have an ultra when it's done, and now your opponent is in trouble.

It's not really a "reward for losing" as much as it's an extra tool BOTH players get later in the round.

Maligna

Banned
I hope Street Fighter V adds in Rival Schools/Project Justice characters. Batsu and Kyosuke could be the Cody/Guy duo from that series.

That would be the closest thing to a new Rival Schools.

Agreed. Capcom needs to pull in some more universes. They have a lot of characters that would fit Street Fighter.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't agree. Ryu, Bison, and Nash's V-skills all nullify projectiles, but that doesn't seem like the main use for them. Ryu's parry is obvious. Bison's V-skill reflects projectiles and acts as a hit of armor, while Nash can use his as a command grab that steals life (and can be comboed out of I think). The anti-fireball part just feels like something they threw in on top.

I think V-Triggers being mostly power-up modes is fine if they're varied enough. Charlie's is cool, and I want to see more triggers like his, but using the entire meter for 1 use is a little much to me (unless you can use individual bars and I just don't remember). Thw fact that they don't have to be straight buffs is enough for me.
I'm pretty sure Nash's grab is a separate move from Bullet Clear since it has an EX version. His V-Skill is more like Oni's fireball-destroying HP.

Imm0rt4l

I feel like ryu getting parry was a missed opportunity. They could have let him channel evil ryu for a duration and given Ken a parry.

fader

I feel like ry getting parry was a missed opportunity. They could have let him channel evil ryu for a duration and given Ken a parry.

in story line if this is truly after SF4 and since he has the Denjin, he has finished his training with Gouken meaning he should have the satu no hadou suppressed and is now using the power of the Chikara no Hado

Imm0rt4l

in story line if this is truly after SF4 and since he has the Denjin, he has finished his training with Gouken meaning he should have the satu no hadou suppressed and is now using the power of the Chikara no Hado
This implies capcom cares about story. They brought gouken back and e ryu should have only been an Alpha character in that case.

fader

This implies capcom cares about story. They brought gouken back and e ryu should have only been an Alpha character in that case.

well bringing Gouken back was kinda necessary. they brought gouken back to explain how Ryu get's the Denjin hadouken in SF3.

gilley

Kind of lame that parry is exclusive to Ryu.

We still don't know what the rest of the cast will have for their V-skill. They have the potential for parry too. If we assume Omega SF4 was a testing ground for SF5, Zangief had a parry too. Maybe we can assume the grappler in SF5 will have parry also, which might be Birdie.

petghost

Banned
Damage scaling in this game atm is hilarious. I bet we gonna see some crazy damage at the exhibition when people figure out more optimal stuff.

Love the fact that single hits and throws do a grip tho.

Imm0rt4l

Damage scaling in this game atm is hilarious. I bet we gonna see some crazy damage at the exhibition when people figure out more optimal stuff.

And there's no crouch teching. Could definitely make for some hilarious moments.

kirblar

There just isn't any right? At least at lower life levels.

ElFly

I wonder what Birdie V-skill and V-trigger are going to be. Going to guess the v-trigger gives birdie one hit of super armor every second, or on every move, making him into a mvc hulk like character. Gotta be something overpowered, cause you know parries for ryu are already kind of overpowered.

Now that parries whiff, well, maybe they are more reasonable. Whiffless parries in SF3 were broken. They were only acceptable cause everyone was raised to the same level of brokenness, but if you are going to do that, you may as well bring back one button grabs.

ElFly

I wonder if Gief would have his crouching throw from ST if he were in the game.

Yeah. He really needs to go back to the SF2/SFA2 standard, complete with a jumping grab super....that actually works. Oh, and the air grab from ST.

Always found weird that they didn't give Zangief a decent dash. Everyone just green handing after a SPD is a bad fix for his pathetic dash.

jerry1594

well it's your opinion so whatever but the evidence is in the story of SF4. Gouken and Akuma were battling over who will train Ryu. and
Gouken won
Except it doesn't matter at all lol. They could've said he saw it on the back of a cereal box for all it matters.

Top Bottom