• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

DunpealD

Dan is Japanese and is from Japan, the Hong Kong was only for an Alpha 2 stage.

With your logic Birdie is from Italy because his Alpha 1 stage was Rome.

Dan's flag was Hong Kong in vanilla SFIV. Also in the official 30th Anniversary Capcom Character Encyclopedia, Hong Kong is named as his home.

Biker19

Banned
I don't want sf2 characters. I liked what they did with sf3. They kept the iconic characters and replaced the rest. If it weren't for sf3 people wouldn't be asking for q, makoto, Sean, etc. They need to do another refresh after sfiv.

Yep, I've had enough of the OG 16. SFV doesn't need to be inundated with that shit.

I also agree. They've done that shit 3 times already with Super Street Fighter II/Super Turbo, Street Fighter Zero 3/Alpha 3, & with original Street Fighter IV & up.

If there's going to be returning characters, then it needs to be a mix-up between the casts of SF II, SF III, SF IV, & SF Zero/Alpha like they're doing right now; Don't just give us the same old predictable 17 character cast from Super Turbo. Only bring back the ones who really deserve to be returning.

ElFly

I am sure the original 12, and quite probably the 5 new challengers, will be in the game in one way or another, via later DLC.

There's no point fighting over it; every archetype will have some representation (grapplers, long limbs guy, divekicker, etc etc) at the start, it just may not be who you expect (like, Birdie over Zangief/THawk). Eventually Zangief will come, and prolly THawk too.

Onemic

SF2 characters are well represented for a reason. They contain all the basic archetypes that most fighting game characters are based on.

Hoping for Fei, but I know he wont come :(

Was just wondering: when they say no more crouch tech, do they mean that it's not possible to tech throws while crouching? Or that no light kick will come out when pressing the LP+LK command? I know that's how throws are in Killer Instinct and Blazblue.

Also, is everyone glad that crouch tech is gone? I've seen many people complain about it over the yrs, so I'm guessing most people just hated it. It can create bad habits, I'll admit.

Skilletor

Was just wondering: when they say no more crouch tech, do they mean that it's not possible to tech throws while crouching? Or that no light kick will come out when pressing the LP+LK command? I know that's how throws are in Killer Instinct and Blazblue.

Also, is everyone glad that crouch tech is gone? I've seen many people complain about it over the yrs, so I'm guessing most people just hated it. It can create bad habits, I'll admit.

When you press lp+lk, you get a throw whiff animation.

And yes, I'm glad crouch tech is gone. Commit to one or the other. You shouldn't cover your ass with a good, quick low attack, and a throw tech.

alstein

Only thing I have mixed feelings about is that if you tech a throw you still lose a little bit of health.

ST had throw softerning instead of throw breaking. I see this as a good thing.
SFA2 had the same thing. I would say I'd prefer some sort of visual queue for that, like a unique animation for a broken throw.

qcf x2

SF2 characters are well represented for a reason. They contain all the basic archetypes that most fighting game characters are based on.

Hoping for Fei, but I know he wont come :(

And new characters can be "based on" those archetypes and take them to another level + have better design (ie Remy is a boom/flash kick character who is designed to utilize juggles). I think the issue is not the mechanics of characters (charge, grappler, tank, glass cannon, etc), but that yeah, Gief and Sim might come but when they do, nobody is gonna use them. But knowing they're there safe and sound on the character select screen will make a few people feel better.

Just because it's old doesn't make it good, and just because it's new doesn't make it bad or inferior, especially when we don't even know what the new characters will be; they could end up being more iconic than anyone besides Ken/Ryu for all we know.

Tizoc

They'll be up on twitch.tv/capcomunity in 30 minutes.

oH MAN
So they'll show new SF5 stuff right?
RIGHT?!

Man I was hoping to wake up to watch Sony's stream but it starts at 5 AM in mi country!
Eff that I'll just catch the aftermath once GAF is back up =_=

I agree. I couldn't care less about the other new characters from that series as they really aren't that interesting (except for Gouken, though he's another shoto).

Like I said in another thread, if Capcom's going to bring in new characters, they need to make fighters from places that they haven't tried from yet, such as Egypt, Canada, & Australia. It's great that we got a fighter from Turkey, & a fighter from South Korea, but they need to expand more on that front. Even Namco had done that with Tekken as of lately.

Counting the characters from SF 1 to SF IV (excluding the EX series because it isn't canon), we already have

14 characters from USA (Alex, Crimson Viper, Cody, Guile, Guy, Joe, Ken, M. Bison/Balrog (Boxer), Mike, Nash/Charlie, Poison, Rolento, Rufus, & Sodom),
13 from Japan (E. Honda, Geki, Gouken, Gouki/Akuma, Ibuki, Karin, Maki, Makoto, Oro, R. Mika, Retsu, Ryu, & Sakura),
4 from England (Birdie, Cammy, Dudley, & Eagle),
4 from Hong Kong (Dan, Fei Long, Yang, & Yun),
3 from Germany (Hugo, Juli, & Juni),
3 from China (Chun-Li, Gen, & Lee),
2 from France (Abel, & Remy),
2 from Thailand (Adon, & Sagat),
2 from Mexico (El Fuerte, & T. Hawk),
2 from Russia (Necro, & Zangief),
2 from Brazil (Blanka, & Sean),
1 from Jamaica (Dee Jay),
1 from India (Dhalsim),
1 from Kenya (Elena),
1 from Turkey (Hakan),
1 from South Korea (Juri),
1 from Spain (Balrog/Vega (Claw)), &
1 from Italy (Rose).

Also, Mike is M. Bison. Same character.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, that's why you responded at all, lol.

Though I agree with your point...

To be fair, a lot of the U.S. characters came from Final Fight, a game that took place in one particular city in the U.S. So, that kinda artificially boosts the American representation. Additionally, a number of the American characters are "remakes" of previous characters. Mike > Mike Bison, Joe > Cody, Guile > Charlie. So that further pads the numbers.

BTW, Rolento is from East Germany, though he shows up in America at various points in the timeline.
Where is that info from? I would really like to know, because I can't find anything that says that.

Onemic

And new characters can be "based on" those archetypes and take them to another level + have better design (ie Remy is a boom/flash kick character who is designed to utilize juggles). I think the issue is not the mechanics of characters (charge, grappler, tank, glass cannon, etc), but that yeah, Gief and Sim might come but when they do, nobody is gonna use them. But knowing they're there safe and sound on the character select screen will make a few people feel better.

Just because it's old doesn't make it good, and just because it's new doesn't make it bad or inferior, especially when we don't even know what the new characters will be; they could end up being more iconic than anyone besides Ken/Ryu for all we know.

But SFV is shipping with 4 new characters. Birdie is going to be one of the characters that get announced today. Nash has already been confirmed. Ryu, Chun, and Bison(with the exception of SF3) are always givens as they're the most iconic characters in the series. Do you guys not want any SF2 characters to make an appearance or something?

jerry1594

I can kind of see Twelve working. V-Trigger could be X.C.O.P.Y., V-Skill could be his air dash or invisibility.

That said, Twelve is like... Literally dead last on my list of desired characters.
Twelve needing v skill to air dash would be stupid. It's like 60% of the character.

qcf x2

But SFV is shipping with 4 new characters. Birdie is going to be one of the characters that get announced today. Nash has already been confirmed. Ryu, Chun, and Bison(with the exception of SF3) are always givens as they're the most iconic characters in the series. Do you guys not want any SF2 characters to make an appearance or something?

So far every single character shown was in Street Fighter Alpha. :-\ I'm not complaining since it's early and it's been a while for Birdie/Nash and everyone is being revamped, but yo... we have SF2 characters already: Ryu, Chun, Bison. And you know Ken will be in it. Do I not want Blanka, Honda, Vega, Generic Boxer, Sim, Guile, in this game? No, hell no I do not. They are boring/tired as shit. As a Cammy player in SF4 I don't even want Cammy in this game since she's been around the block too, but oh well.

They can just fix all of this if they bring her back, or do you think that she isn't much if that were to fix the issue?. I thought she was a cool concept for a character in the SF universe, though I never played with her much at all.
They could, and yes, her character is very cool...I am a bit salty about her in general though, maybe she can be DLC lol...

My biased view of her aside, conceptually, I like her.

But as Rice Eater pointed out, I also hate her lol..

Dali

Yes! Outside of a small handful I do not want to see the originals.

14 characters from USA (Alex, Crimson Viper, Cody, Guile, Guy, Joe, Ken, M. Bison/Balrog (Boxer), Mike, Nash/Charlie, Poison, Rolento, Rufus, & Sodom),
13 from Japan (E. Honda, Geki, Gouken, Gouki/Akuma, Ibuki, Karin, Maki, Makoto, Oro, R. Mika, Retsu, Ryu, & Sakura),
4 from England (Birdie, Cammy, Dudley, & Eagle),
4 from Hong Kong (Dan, Fei Long, Yang, & Yun),
3 from Germany (Hugo, Juli, & Juni),
3 from China (Chun-Li, Gen, & Lee),
2 from France (Abel, & Remy),
2 from Thailand (Adon, & Sagat),
2 from Mexico (El Fuerte, & T. Hawk),
2 from Russia (Necro, & Zangief),
2 from Brazil (Blanka, & Sean),
1 from Jamaica (Dee Jay),
1 from India (Dhalsim),
1 from Kenya (Elena),
1 from Turkey (Hakan),
1 from South Korea (Juri),
1 from Spain (Balrog/Vega (Claw)), &
1 from Italy (Rose).

But T Hawk is from USA he was just relocated to mexico due his tribe being wipe up

Top Bottom