• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

The best compromise would be for me to post a thread at 20k posts with it under construction.
Unless someone comes forward and expresses interest, let's go with that.
This is honestly haly's fault.

No one cares if a thread goes over 20,000 posts a little bit. Seriously. Lol. :p

You heard the man TUSR.... You have been given the power of time...

Guys I'm walking towards my shelf and talking Cold Steel 2 out of the case...

Oh, welcome to the fun. I'm over 30 hours in and still on 2-1, so you will probably pass me by as well.

Exalted

Finished both seasons of Spice and Wolf, and now i'm sad there is no more :s
Didn't think they would left the story at such an half point, and not completely finish the last fur trade arc, it's kinda an ending, but not really.
Not really sure what the last scene of them walking towards the ship means. Are they escaping or going after her?

zulux21

Watch the movies and if the universe intrigues you, check out the TV series, I'll say.

while this isn't wrong advice, I would call it misleading.

really the movies feeling and the tv series is really different.

it's like stargate the movie vs stargate sg1

some characters are drastically different, and the overall feel of the series are drastically different.

so you can easily end up liking one and disliking the other.

for me the movie is like an unpolished idea with a large focus on art, while the tv series feels way more polished and focused that focuses on a story and characters instead of art.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
0FZZiZa.png

TrueBlue

Is there any place that legally streams the original Berserk anime in the UK? After hearing so much about the series I'd like to jump in.

If not I guess I could just buy the manga.

lonely

Is there any place that legally streams the original Berserk anime in the UK? After hearing so much about the series I'd like to jump in.

If not I guess I could just buy the manga.
It's getting a Bluray release in November so if you can wait a bit you can pick it up then.

Qurupeke

Grimgar 7-9
Mary is quickly becoming my favourite. And the ships are real. For everyone except Moguzo...

On a side note, the show certainly appreciates legs and feet. When they don't wear their class getup, the girls are either barefoot or on sandals. So many closeups and extended shots focused on them too. And let's not forget the thighs.

But damn the protagonists, the goblins just want a quiet life.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
it wasn't bad, then at very end they actually did it
at least they didn't resurrect chiaki

oh boy what a ride

anyway, despite everything, Danganronpa 3 was way better than i expected

edit:

also question about the games:
did they leave a vague answer whether people who died in the machine died in the real world or not? or did they just retconned an important plot point of dr2?

What Danganronpa 2 stated:
they were all in comas, not dead.

thanks, it's been a while since i played it, now we just wait for V3

Sterok

Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream 1-6

So here's what I was planning to watch before Full Moon caught my attention. The other long running idol series. It's got a main trio, the main character barely knows about idols before the show starts, the main character's family runs some sort of food store (what is with idol main characters and this?), CG dancing, clothes tucked away in some toy to sell, and probably more similarities with Aikatsu. So how does Pretty Rhythm actually compare to Aikatsu?

Well first off, PR doesn't have Aoi, so that's one strike against it. PR has live action segments/commercials taking up a few minutes of every episode, so that's another strike. There seems to be less music variety, and while the support cast is bigger there seem to be fewer main idols. Though it's closer if you count the guys I guess. Romance is more explicit, and it's not quite as happy go lucky as Aikatsu with Aira's father being against the whole thing and Rhythm's mom missing, but the tone is similar overall. And there's weird talking stuffed animals too. They're not cute. Why does anime so often miss the mark when designing cute mascots?

But enough about Aikatsu. Aira is a decent protagonist so far. Plenty of room to grow and fun enough to watch. Rhythm is cool, and this time she has the super mom. Makes me wonder why she isn't the protagonist. The CG segments being figure skating is pretty cool. I like the supporting cast in general, though the way everyone kind of forced Aira into the business rubs me the wrong way. Then Aira's father annoyed me by being so against it, so no winning there I suppose. So far it seems more focused on personal issues and training rather than idol activities, though the difference is kind of blurry. Doesn't seem as good as Aikatsu, but I think I'll enjoy this.

gargles

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy (END)

This End episode felt like a love letter to those who wanted to see
the 77th Class shine during the Despair Arc. I can overlook how they were back to normal, just like they were before the Tragedy happened. Izuru/Hajime is just Ultimate Everything and there's always that miracle discussion. I wanted to see them in action and I'm glad they've thought the same. Those guys are incredible as a group.
And that Mitarai vs Izuru/Hajime + the 77th Class was a fitting end for his arc, since they wre his collegues. Really liked that.

And of course, the ending. Of course she was alive. They couldn't leave Kirigiri dead.

This doesn't erase the bad taste Future and Despair left in mouth. It's better than them but those two were disappointing so... nothing extraordinary. However, I'll miss it. I'll miss the discussions, the theories and the ramblings. It is indeed time to go and leave Hope's Peak Academy behind. But damn... I'll miss this anime and those guys.

EDIT: However, if someone were to erase Danganronpa 3 from existence, I would support it. Despite loving the community's work, there were a lot of issues/details that should have been left untouched. It's contradictory but that's how I feel.

Danganronpa 3: Hope Arc
Hopefully this saccharine piece of fanservice means they're wiping the slate clean. This was some Harry Potter epilogue stuff.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.13
07_codegeass_ep13e.jpg

No No No No..... Fuck off and die Rolo you piece of shit! Fuuccckkkkk Youuuu!

I was not ready for that bullshit.. dammit

Danganronpa 3 Hope

Oh my fucking God.
They could not even be assed to change the Remnant's designs, even though they were shown at the start of the anime. Fuyuhiko lost an eye and Nagito a hand but that's literally it.

Its actually a really good metaphor for what DR3 did to DR2 - Cleaned it up with an enormous amount of saccharine bullshit and completely removing any kind of interesting thematic elements.

DR3 never happened.

Danganronpa 3 Hope

Oh my fucking God.
They could not even be assed to change the Remnant's designs, even though they were shown at the start of the anime. Fuyuhiko lost an eye and Nagito a hand but that's literally it.

Its actually a really good metaphor for what DR3 did to DR2 - Cleaned it up with an enormous amount of saccharine bullshit and completely removing any kind of interesting thematic elements.

DR3 never happened.

Some masochistic part of me hopes the twist in DRV3 is that is takes place at
Naegi's School for Gifted Youngsters.

jonjonaug

Code Geass R2 ep.13
07_codegeass_ep13e.jpg

No No No No..... Fuck off and die Rolo you piece of shit! Fuuccckkkkk Youuuu!

I was not ready for that bullshit.. dammit

Spoilers for Code Geass stuff you aren't at yet:
The greatest miracle of R2 was making Rolo's death scene actually sad. For all of it's dumbness, Taniguchi's enough of a good director to drag a dumb script into being actually good anime. Something that a lot of more well known directors these days are rarely able to accomplish.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.14
snapshot20080717014054.jpg

Well Lelouch, what are you gonna do now bud? You destroyed everyone at
the research facility where V.V is and now your in front of your old man.
.. lets see if you can get out of this one!

Good things about DR3 -

Juzo, surprisingly - by DR3 standards at least. Had an arc, went from hate-able to understandable. In a game I'd imagine he'd be one of my favorites and better then Byakuya or Fuyuhiko as the redeemed asshole
Nagito whipping out a pistol
Izuru cliffhanger
Monoca fucking off into space to be a NEET
Mondo butter in the nightmare

Bad things about DR3 -

Literally everything else

Worst thing about DR3 -
Naegi and Bacon Hands didn't even kiss or fuck or anything. I'm so mad at Kodaka.

Officially worse then ZTD, ZTD was like 2/3rd good and DR3 1/4th good at best

Some masochistic part of me hopes the twist in DRV3 is that is takes place at
Naegi's School for Gifted Youngsters.

V3 just needs to be its own thing. I can deal with it being a soft reboot where DR1-3 happened but it needs to be distanced. Like the most I would accept is examining a book and the description being "Seems this book was written by the famous Novelist from Hope's Peak, Toko Fukawa" or "A book about the Novalesc Kingdom...I think I've heard something about the princess of that kingdom but...nevermind, its nothing."

So I assume that Kodaka won whatever competition with Uchikoshi he was having to see who could make the worst conclusion to their respective stories?

Kodaka mostly tied everything up and didn't have to ignore a game's worth of plot threads so he wins in that regard too. Last I saw Uchikoshi was still debating on which retcons he preferred for his series.

So I assume that Kodaka won whatever competition with Uchikoshi he was having to see who could make the worst conclusion to their respective stories?

DR3 - Actively sabotages and retroactively ruins points from DR2 and DR1, characters are Persona 4'd by being a gimmick or being shitty, falls into the trap of explaining things that weren't meant to be explained at the time it was written, retcons a bunch of shit for the worse.

ZTD - Unsatisfying ending, ugly graphics and character models, no final puzzle room, COMPLEX MIND HACC, complete mess of an act 3, leaves VLR plot threads completely unanswered.

ZTD has good stuff in it though, I'd half to scratch my brain to think of good stuff for DR3 that wasn't minor. But in the end Kodaka is making a new game so he wins anyway

Naruto Shippuden 476-477

One again Naruto delivers one of the greatest anime battle of all times. These two episodes had so much stuff in them. From the breath taking actions moment, the visuals, the perfect callbacks, SO MUCH EMOTIONS(tears! So many tears!)and those fights scenes were not all just flashes, we could feel the impact in each and every hit. Sorry Mob psycho/MHA you got beaten for the best fight of the year!

After the perfect 133/134, I can add 476/477 to my favourite anime moments of all times.

Every time I think I'm out of Naruto it pulls me back in. Fillers aside Naruto will always be special in my heart.

Some highlights
I cried a bunch when Naruto and Sasuke were looking at their kids selves and we can see them smile....it was so good.

The last talk between Kurama and Naruto and that fist bump had so much meaning behind it and it showed really how their relationship as grown and it yet again made me tear up...alot

That final clash with eveybody helping naruto make the rasengan and Itachi? Helping Sasuke make his chidori was phenomenal! I loved it!

Oh boy I really liked this...still emotional.

Gotta admit the Naruto fight went Dragon Ball on me when they stopped CQC fighting. Once they whipped out the fox chakra and susanoo it was still visually good but not as interesting. The part at the end with the hands forming the Rasengan was really dope tho.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.15
21_codegeass_ep15y.jpg

Lets just say that I'm extremely confused after the events of this episode. Was that the core power of Geass that he broke? That was all pretty out there shit.. Suzaku is also an ass... Also a shame Rolo is still alive; I like Lelouch's plan last episode.

Danganronpa 3 Episode Hope
My puppy was very much into it as you can see.

Honestly it could have been worse. Oh and OF COURSE
Kirigiri got revived
... Oh well. Yeah I too hope V3 is its own thing. Sure, let it be in the same world, but move on please.

Gotta admit the Naruto fight went Dragon Ball on me when they stopped CQC fighting. Once they whipped out the fox chakra and susanoo it was still visually good but not as interesting. The part at the end with the hands forming the Rasengan was really dope tho.

Found the ending cut (after Sakura wakes up) to actually be the best. It just showed two ninjas at their end. Especially this sequence:
tumblr_oe9wkyBlUB1r2rp33o2_540.gif

Found the ending cut (after Sakura wakes up) to actually be the best. It just showed two ninjas at their end. Especially this sequence:
tumblr_oe9wkyBlUB1r2rp33o2_540.gif

After Sakura waking up was most definitely the best part! I liked that slow close-up on the two fighting while being completely at their limit...It was amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom