• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Sölf;218489033 said:
I am waiting for the official english release of Volume 5.

Actually, since I am at it, I am pretty happy that quite a few Light Novels finally get official english releases. No Game No Life, Overlord, Baccano! and Re:Zero are all either already here or pre ordered and I am waiting for new volumes to get released.

I wanted to collect the Re: Zero LNs but then I realized that there will be more than 30 books by the time the series is over, so I decided to pass.

Mailbox

Being popular doesn't mean it isn't a fad though. With a S2 probably not happening soon enough, I doubt people will keep talking about it in a year or so. It's kind of like No Game, No Life. It was insanely popular, but I feel like no one talks about it anymore and it's been forgotten. Well, actually, it seems people remember it for all the wrong reasons...

Considering the shows in question and the studios behind them, I honestly think Re:Zero will fall into a "Devil is a part timer" level of forgotten. On the back of everyone's mind, fully expecting a season 2, but potentially never getting one. I think the No Game No Life example is apt to a degree but i feel like that show was more of a "don't expect it, but want it. OH its been a while, i don't care anymore" levels of sequel want.

I also think that No Game didn't really have anything that felt like it really stuck when I was done with it. Some cool stuff, sure, but nothing really overtly memorable. Re:Zero on the other hand, I feel, will stick with me for quite a while. Hell episode 15's direction, cinematography, and sheer visceral emotional roller-coaster has still stayed with me, months later. I mean, other than maybe the weird and kinda dumb word game with the library angel scene and maybe the Human Speech scene in No Game, nothing was really stands out.

RE: Zero is definitely popular cause I sure was tired of hearing about that goddamn blue haired midget.

She's not a midget though... but i get what you're trying to say.

Sölf

I wanted to collect the Re: Zero LNs but then I realized that there will be more than 30 books by the time the series is over, so I decided to pass.

I survived the Berserk wait until now, I will survive Re:Zero.

Even if room is indeed an issue. Or more like 30 issues. Huehuehuehue.

zulux21

at 8.97 every 4 months it isn't to bad.

since the only way I can continue a series like the devil is a part timer is through light novel translations, I tend to buy the light novels of every series I enjoy.

Considering the shows in question and the studios behind them, I honestly think Re:Zero will fall into a "Devil is a part timer" level of forgotten. On the back of everyone's mind, fully expecting a season 2, but potentially never getting one. I think the No Game No Life example is apt to a degree but i feel like that show was more of a "don't expect it, but want it. OH its been a while, i don't care anymore" levels of sequel want.

I also think that No Game didn't really have anything that felt like it really stuck when I was done with it. Some cool stuff, sure, but nothing really overtly memorable. Re:Zero on the other hand, I feel, will stick with me for quite a while. Hell episode 15's direction, cinematography, and sheer visceral emotional roller-coaster has still stayed with me, months later. I mean, other than maybe the weird and kinda dumb word game with the library angle scene and maybe the Human Speech scene in No Game, nothing was really stands out.

She's not a midget though... but i get what you're trying to say.

no game no life is firmly in my... I can't wait for the already announced presequel movie.
yes I am using a borderlands term because book 6 being a prequel makes the movie both a prequel and a sequel :p
Re:zero should stick around better than devil though. it had twice as many episodes, and way more people know about it. devil is an overlooked gem sadly :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

well part of it could be confusion with overall popularity and japanese popularity.
I don't think I would consider love live super popular outside of japan, but no doubt you would consider it popular in japan. granted I haven't looked into that one a ton so I could be mistaken.

on the flip side it's quite possible that Re:zero isn't super popular in japan (I haven't seen good qualifiers for that, but there does seem to be at least a lot of cosplay and figures which is a sign it has some popularity), but if you have been anywhere anime related on the internet, and even plenty of places that aren't. it's quite easy to see it's really popular outside of japan.

Love Live is popular outside of Japan, the mobile game likely helped a lot.

Went to see the film in the UK and the place was jam packed. Not even the Gundam double bill filled the place up.

And my non scientific method for measuring casual popularity is seeing what people cosplay as and what is being sold at Hyper Japan shows (which is quite a casual affair compared to a typical anime con since it's more a general Japanese tourism expo). There was a lot of Love Live cosplay and merch on sale. Up there with the usual suspects like One Piece and Dragon Ball.

I mean, Re:Zero might not be up there with the super popular shows, but it's clearly one of the popular shows of the moment. I mean, people who haven't watched it (like me) are well aware of it which is usually a decent sign that its had wide appeal. Since it's been brought up, I know nothing about No Game. If it was popular, it didn't make a blip on my radar. So Re:Zero is at least more popular than that lol.

zulux21

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Love Live is popular outside of Japan, the mobile game likely helped a lot.

Went to see the film in the UK and the place was jam packed. Not even the Gundam double bill filled the place up.

And my non scientific method for measuring casual popularity is seeing what people cosplay as and what is being sold at Hyper Japan shows (which is quite a casual affair compared to a typical anime con since it's more a general Japanese tourism expo). There was a lot of Love Live cosplay and merch on sale. Up there with the usual suspects like One Piece and Dragon Ball.

I mean, Re:Zero might not be up there with the super popular shows, but it's clearly one of the popular shows of the moment. I mean, people who haven't watched it (like me) are well aware of it which is usually a decent sign that its had wide appeal.

ah, all I knew is funimation dubbed the more recent love live series (right?) which was a good sign for it's popularity. but i am far from an expert on idol/moe shows as I tend to avoid them like they are going to kill me :p

I am still curious if crunchyroll has the rights to re:zero for home video release, and if they do if they are going to try to get it on toonami late next year or early 2018. I mean if they aired sword art online and hellsing ultimate and parasyte, there isn't much reason why it couldn't be shown.
if it does, that could give it a nice boost in popularity again as it releases in english.

I think part of the reason that I care a bit about people just judging it on fan reactions is because the same thing happens to steven universe, and the fans to that show are down right horrible. and by the arguments that a lot of people are making steven universe is just a show about a young boy building a harem so that his harem can just make out with itself.

instead of one of the deepest and well developed american children's shows since Avatar (and actually shares a ton in common with that)

Mailbox

so is anyone excited for the Yuri Gun-broom WW2 Witch show airing on saturday?

I... kinda actually want it to be good, but i'm not expecting much.

For some reason now I want to rewatch GoSick... but then I'm reminded that its no longer available on Crunchy nor is it available to buy.... Why did no one buy the rights damn it!

Sölf

For some reason now I want to rewatch GoSick... but then I'm reminded that its no longer available on Crunchy nor is it available to buy.... Why did no one buy the rights damn it!

The preview looked interesting. Reminded me a bit of Maria, but it looked a bit better. I will definitly give this a try.

zulux21

since I don't know what show that is.
I am looking forward to seeing how
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Bloodivores
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
turn out this weekend.
and trickster on monday.

i think you might be talking about the new working spin off... maybe?
in which case... I am slightly curious only because I feel like I would enjoy working if it wasn't for one of the worst female characters in the history of anime being one of the main characters :p

as for gosick. it still could be rescued. after skip beat I have a feeling pied piper is going to want to do a shorter series and build up more fans, but a few years down the line it could be done by then. or was it maiden japan that recently did dennou coil. they could maybe pick it up.

Mailbox

Sölf;218489825 said:
The preview looked interesting. Reminded me a bit of Maria, but it looked a bit better. I will definitly give this a try.

God i hope its not like Maria. That show was so hard to watch. I don't think I can handle that much suffering being inflicted to a character again (and yes, I think she went through worse shit than Subaru went through.)

since I don't know what show that is.
I am looking forward to seeing how

Shuumatsu no Izetta

its that one

zulux21

God i hope its not like Maria. That show was so hard to watch. I don't think I can handle that much suffering being inflicted to a character again (and yes, I think she went through worse shit than Subaru went through.)

its that one

it's very low down on my shows I am keeping an eye on.
to the point where I am planning on waiting on reactions before i even check it out unless I am bored when it comes out.

but it is still on my list of shows to keep an eye on at least :p

I find it funny that they released one new Sakamoto episode just recently

I believe it was the one included with the home video releases.

Mailbox

I find it funny that they released one new Sakamoto episode just recently

its an ova. most anime get post season episodes here and there, but we usually never get them unless its with a home video release or the off chance of a stream

it's very low down on my shows I am keeping an eye on.
to the point where I am planning on waiting on reactions before i even check it out unless I am bored when it comes out.

but it is still on my list of shows to keep an eye on at least :p

fair enough :p

Sölf

I should probably also make a list.

First, our weekly stream:

- Show by Rock!! S2
- Drifters
- Occultic;Nine
- To Be Hero

And probably also Cheating Craft, since we normally watch ~4-5 shows.

Aside from those, I am at least interested in:

- Classicaloid
- Keijo!!!!!!!!
- Hibike Euphonium S2 (maybe S2 will get a bit more interesting early on, I liked S1, but had to drag myself through the first 4-6 episodes)
- Fune wo Amu
- Lostorage incited WIXOSS
- Shuumatsu no Izetta
- TRICKSTER: Edogawa Rampo "Shounen Tantei-dan" yori
- Nyanbo! (because Yotsuba universe)

Again, way too much stuff. At least I have no leftovers. I also need to catch up on JoJo and Thunderbolt Fantasy. Well, JoJo can probably wait, I will binge that at some point anyway, but Thunderbolt Fantasy I only watched the first 2 episodes, even though I liked it, I haven't really bothered with watching the rest so far.

jgminto

I am really baffled how people can claim that re:zero isn't very popular.

you don't have to like the show, but you should be able to at least tell there is a crap ton of people talking about it. Even more than pick up girls in a dungeon had last year while it was airing. @_@
More popular than a show that people only remember for the tit string outfit?

Sölf

I still haven't decided if I am interested in that show... or if we should rally together to destroy it with fire >.<:
Sugita is in there, that's normally reason enough to watch (unless it's Taboo Tatoo, that was... urghs. I saw 3 episodes, I think?)

Is it weird how anytime i see WIXOSS i think it should be pronounced weaksauce?

Eh, I am German and our "X" is not really pronaunced like "eggs", but more like "iggs" (with the "i" sounding like "incredible" and not like "island").

And "Wix" sounds like "wichs" which remindes me of "wichse" which means "cum".

That does not help! D:

Cornbread78

I am really baffled how people can claim that re:zero isn't very popular.

you don't have to like the show, but you should be able to at least tell there is a crap ton of people talking about it. Even more than pick up girls in a dungeon had last year while it was airing. @_@

Yeah, ReZero hit another whole level since Danmachi's success was largely due to a boob string.

Cornbread wanted more shitposting, so I am trying to bring it back.

Has it worked?

Hey, as my wifeloves to yell at me, every so often:
"Don't put words into my mouth, asshole!"

I never said that! Good to see you posting again though! Lol.

zulux21

More popular than a show that people only remember for the tit string outfit?

yeah... while gaf here went crazy with girls in a dungeon, I didn't see nearly as much of it outside of here as I have been seeing with re:zero.

though it likely helped re:zero quite a bit that it was 25 episodes.

if they had both been 12 episodes I likely would consider dungeon more popular.

plus re:zero has much better gifs for future use that will help it stick around.

just like the SAO jump off bridge one :p

Sölf;218490416 said:
Sugita is in there, that's normally reason enough to watch (unless it's Taboo Tatoo, that was... urghs. I saw 3 episodes, I think?)

I haven't a clue who that is off the top of my head lol.

Please don't not insult Okada sensei's masterpiece.

same to that.

to be fair I am horrible with names :p

Quasar

Yeah, ReZero hit another whole level since Danmachi's success was largely due to a boob string.

Well I don't think that's true. But then I started reading the books due to the show, and that silly thing wasn't a reason for that (or watching).

It is odd how that gimmick caught on though.

zulux21

Well I don't think that's true. But then I started reading the books due to the show, and that silly thing wasn't a reason for that (or watching).

there was plenty more to the series than that. and it overall was an enjoyable series and I too am buying the books.

but the damn string was the only thing that caught on lol.

re:zero has a ton of scenes that make great gifs though.

it is nice that the dungeon novels are to new content though.,

Quasar

I wouldn't know. I haven't really seen any. Gifs I mean. The show I didn't really enjoy and bailed sometime in the backend of cour 1. And its popularity seems to centre around Rem, who I never liked or got the attraction to.

zulux21

I wouldn't know. I haven't really seen any. Gifs I mean. The show I didn't really enjoy and bailed sometime in the backend of cour 1. And its popularity seems to centre around Rem, who I never liked or got the attraction to.

the eyeball licking one is posted quite frequently.

5F1.gif

as for not getting rem, if you stopped around episode 12 that would make sense as most of her stuff comes in episodes 12-19.

Cornbread78

there was plenty more to the series than that. and it overall was an enjoyable series and I too am buying the books.
but the damn string was the only thing that caught on lol.
it is nice that the dungeon novels are to new content though.,

I can't wait for the OVA airing soon and I really hope they adapt the future novels since those episodes tgat aired last year were just a big prologue for a much larger story.

zulux21

I can't wait for the OVA airing soon and I really hope they adapt the future novels since those episodes tgat aired last year were just a big prologue for a much larger story.

did not realize that it had an OVA... just recall hearing about the spin off anime.

it's still weird to me that they adapted so many books so quickly in the anime.

Cornbread78

did not realize that it had an OVA... just recall hearing about the spin off anime.

it's still weird to me that they adapted so many books so quickly in the anime.

Yeah, I really liked the world and it's lore. The cast wasn't great as a whole, but the ranking/level system and the familia's added a lot of depth to the lore and well. Bell also wasn't that bad of an MC, ehich helps, lol.

Also, the show gave me this scene:

https://youtu.be/lntaZf1IstM

OVA is 12/7:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32801/Dungeon_ni_Deai_wo_Motomeru_no_wa_Machigatteiru_Darou_ka_OVA

I don't think Danmachi was quite as popular as Re:Zero was tbh. I can't speak for Japan since I obviously don't live there, but over here on GAF and around my circle at college everyone knows Re:Zero. Furthermore, at Fan Expo last year there were no cosplays at all. Same can't be said about Re:Zero (EDIT:this year obv), since I spotted a couple of Rems.

All I know about it is the blue string and that on brushing teeth gif.
There was also that really well choreographed and animated sword fight between the protag and the big beast. That was a one time thing though. That made the rounds around the internet, but sure as heck didn't make as much of an impact as Re:Zero did on a weekly basis for one reason or another.

The only thing about that show that made an impact were Hestia and her huge tits held up by the little blue string that could.

Speaking of which where is my Hestia figma?

Moaradin

Naruto Shippuden 476 + 477

Yup that was good.

The lack of music in the first half was great. Taijutsu fans will be satisfied because there's some great choreography here. The fight turns into a pure slugfest and it's probably the most brutal looking fistfight that I can remember in Naruto. There's a single shot that's like 2 minutes long where they're just duking it out and falling over themselves from exhaustion. Whole thing was animated beautifully. Even the use of flashbacks was well done. Can't really say anything negative about this...

On par with 133 /167/322?

I need to think about it more and probably watch it a few more times but first impression is it's the best fight in the series.

VariantX

Naruto Shippuden 476 + 477

Yup that was good.

The lack of music in the first half was great. Taijutsu fans will be satisfied because there's some great choreography here. The fight turns into a pure slugfest and it's probably the most brutal looking fistfight that I can remember in Naruto. There's a single shot that's like 2 minutes long where they're just duking it out and falling over themselves from exhaustion. Whole thing was animated beautifully. Even the use of flashbacks was well done. Can't really say anything negative about this...

I need to think about it more and probably watch it a few more times but first impression is it's the best fight in the series.

Best part for me is when
Part 1 music starts playing, took me all the way back to the the land of waves and Chunnin Exam arcs

Moaradin

Best part for me is when
Part 1 music starts playing, took me all the way back to the the land of waves and Chunnin Exam arcs

They've been using part 1 music recently in the latest episodes, but it was used to great effect here. All the music in the episode (or lack thereof) was great.

Good folks of AnimeGAF, I just want to double check with you to make sure I have this right. As I mentioned, I will at some point in time tackle all of GiTS. There are 3 Universes. These 3 Universes are composed as such:

1 - Movie Universe
Ghost in the Shell (1995 not 2.0 from what I've seen)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

2 - Stand Alone Complex Universe
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

3 - Arise Universe
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone
Ghost in the Shell The New Movie

Is this about right? I'm kinda thinking that whenever I start watching these, I'll be leaving Stand Alone Complex for last since it's well over 50eps worth of material. I'd probably go Movies>Arise>SAC.

Jarmel

Banned
Good folks of AnimeGAF, I just want to double check with you to make sure I have this right. As I mentioned, I will at some point in time tackle all of GiTS. There are 3 Universes. These 3 Universes are composed as such:

1 - Movie Universe

3 - Arise Universe

Is this about right? I'm kinda thinking that whenever I start watching these, I'll be leaving Stand Alone Complex for last since it's well over 50eps worth of material. I'd probably go Movies>Arise>SAC.

Just do Movies and SAC. I would only watch Arise if you've seen everything else.

Line_HTX

1 - Movie Universe

3 - Arise Universe

If you don't have time, which I know you said you don't, go with movie universe first and then Stand Alone Complex. You can take your time with the 52 episodes at your own pace. I really feel that SAC has the best experience out of all of them.

Also, as an aside, I think that SAC and SAC 2nd Gig's adapted script for the dub will give you a much better understanding of that world. If anything, it'll make you feel less overwhelmed, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom