• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
FMA:B is utterly fantastic.

The plot with the military is awesome and I'm up to the part where they've caught Gluttony and he's about to try rip apart Mustang. So fucking good.

Joe Molotov

Good folks of AnimeGAF, I just want to double check with you to make sure I have this right. As I mentioned, I will at some point in time tackle all of GiTS. There are 3 Universes. These 3 Universes are composed as such:

1 - Movie Universe
Ghost in the Shell (1995 not 2.0 from what I've seen)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

2 - Stand Alone Complex Universe
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

3 - Arise Universe
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone
Ghost in the Shell The New Movie

Is this about right? I'm kinda thinking that whenever I start watching these, I'll be leaving Stand Alone Complex for last since it's well over 50eps worth of material. I'd probably go Movies>Arise>SAC.

For Arise, you need to watch Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture Episodes 9 & 10 as well. Episodes 1-8 are just the 4 OVAs cut into 22 minute episodes, but 9 & 10 are new material that helps link the OVA/Series to the movie.

blurr

FMA:B is utterly fantastic.

The plot with the military is awesome and I'm up to the part where they've caught Gluttony and he's about to try rip apart Mustang. So fucking good.

Oh glad that you're enjoying it.

Arakawa Under the Bridge 10-11

Quite a testing time for Ichinomiya now that his father took note of him loitering under the bridge.

In order to put him in his place out of some paternal obligation, he proposed a contract to close down the region, effectively dislocating their homes and build a park. Ichinomiya is shaken upon hearing the news and the first thing that occurs to him is to warn all the residents of the devastating news. Ironically everyone is unfazed or indifferent but they do acknowledge and appreciate his concern.

He has clearly gotten attached to the eccentric group, this development makes sense but isn't entirely convincing owing the focus on comedy through out the show - even when it seems to get serious, it abruptly returns to the comedic roots. That isn't as bad as it sounds actually, the "in your face irony shtick" works out more often than not thanks to great delivery and presentation. Secondly, Ichinomiya has barely ever indulged in self discovery, understanding or questioning the norm; a lot of actions were carried out with dualistic beliefs/strict logic under the conforms of society and his father's teachings so it makes sense if he isn't even noticing his new found attachment towards the group although he realizes it eventually.

At one point, the residents acknowledge the threat but show little concern saying they can just move on to another location. Ko suggests on leaving the place which might quell his father's anger and leave it alone. Nino however insisted on staying with everyone and even requesting Ko for figuring out a way to do so. Ichinomiya is fueled with this support and request so he begins an attempt to propose his own plan to counter his father's plan which unfortunately fails out of mere intimidation. It's staggering how low our fears can bring us down. All this could've been avoided if Ichinomiya simply talked to his father however it is made clear that things aren't as simple to a point that Ko only considers it as a last resort.

Episode 11 took a pretty serious turn but it still managed to pack a few laughs here and there. There's also something symbolic/philosphical that is narrated initially with poetic grace, so far I have not been able to analyse how it correlates with the events of the episode, I'll need to rewatch a bit to understand.

Just do Movies and SAC. I would only watch Arise if you've seen everything else.

Watch the movies and if the universe intrigues you, check out the TV series, I'll say.

If you don't have time, which I know you said you don't, go with movie universe first and then Stand Alone Complex. You can take your time with the 52 episodes at your own pace. I really feel that SAC has the best experience out of all of them.

Also, as an aside, I think that SAC and SAC 2nd Gig's adapted script for the dub will give you a much better understanding of that world. If anything, it'll make you feel less overwhelmed, haha

For Arise, you need to watch Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture Episodes 9 & 10 as well. Episodes 1-8 are just the 4 OVAs cut into 22 minute episodes, but 9 & 10 are new material that helps link the OVA/Series to the movie.
Understood, thanks everyone. Seems like an overwhelming amount of content to go through, but I have an itch that needs to be scratched in terms of cyberpunk/sci-fi, and this franchise is a big gap in my library. Again, don't expect me to watch these at very least until around Christmas time, but know that I will watch them at some point. I have noted everything so I am all set to track everything down when it comes to it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game End
Fun show from start to finish. Not exactly a high class anime, but i enjoy the fuwa fuwa, yuri tease, and the animation. Funny how i can relate to this show. While it make light of the harshness of VG industry working condition, it did show that passionate people really enjoy their work, they can be tired of it, but they enjoy it. So yeah, good show.

Voror

Actually, how is Arise? I thought I heard mixed things on it. I thought the original movies were just alright, but really enjoyed SAC. Keep meaning to pick up the DVD collections and keep hoping there will be a BD release some day.

ePrqX1a.jpg

New Majestic Prince movie preview, featuring Team Fawn and Blue 1 awakening.

Gvitor

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo / Children who chase lost voices

I think that this is the Ghibliest of Shinkai's movies. Specially that early part before
they descend into Agartha.
I really liked that. As for the movie itself, I liked it, but it didn't cause an impact on me in the way the others did (even the ones I didn't like, like Hoshi no koe or Yakusoku no Bashou).
It doesn't have that ending punch, and I think the reason is that they didn't develop the aftermath at all. No one does anything to Morisaki. I mean, he loses an eye and all but he was a twisted character from the onset, culminating on him using Asuna's body as a vessel to his wife. And he just leaves like nothing happened.

I also don't like some of the stuff that's left for interpretation. What is Shun's death supposed to mean? He sings a song and falls off a cliff like the guardian thing at the end, but is he a guardian? Why and how would he be a guardian? Is everyone there a guardian, or at least his brother? Why does he die there in the topside? How did Asuna get her crystal? What are those crystals made of? One appeared at the end after the wish was done, but no life force was created or taken up to that point. How do these people feel these crystals? Is the guardian without an arm supposed to be Shun? What's up with Asuna's weird dream? What are those creatures from the shadows? It's possible some of these questions must have answers or valid interpreations that I missed, but my overall feeling is confusion and incompleteness, which really sucks after a near 2 hour long movie.

I think I'd rate Shinkai's movies starting with Garden of Words and Your Name, followed by 5 centimeters per second. I really can't recommend the others. Maybe this one, though with a bunch of "but"s.

I'll watch Hosoda's stuff next.

tuffy

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo / Children who chase lost voices
One part that's strongly implied but never stated explicitly is that
Asuna's father was from Agartha. People from Agartha don't live very long topside which is why he's not around, but that's where Asuna gets her crystal and that's why those shadowy monsters go after her. Not living long topside is also why Shun happens to just drop dead soon after meeting him.
It's been a long time since I've seen it so I don't remember all the details, but that much I do recall.

Cornbread78

Alight, I figured I'd try at least 1 last time to get some input here, lol.... I feel like I'm all alone on an island with no life raft....

Speaking of OT’s, I’ll make a few more again for the fall season, but I need input into which shows you guys think should get one:

Already done:
- Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku ("Magical Girl Raising Project") <10/2>
- Occultic;Nine <10/8>

Which of these do you think people would use?

Drifters <10/7>
3-gatsu no Lion (March Comes in Like a Lion) <10/8>
Shuumatsu no Izetta (Izetta, The Last Witch) <10/1>
Flip Flappers <10/6>

I can probably do one or two more. Anyone else want to make one of them as well?

Naruto Shippuuden 476-477

Yes I'm actually watching Naruto. The fight is really good (I skipped every part that wasn't fighting because the emotional core of Naruto is still gutter trash, sorry) might even be the best by Naruto standards. Really cool effects and cuts, it reminded me of the fight at the end of MGS4 with the time lapses, except Liquid and Solid weren't throwing nukes at each other before resorting to energy-less punch fights, and then didn't proceed to get back up and throw nukes at each other again.

Goes into the watch on sakugabooru tier. Mob Psycho 08 was better.

Clov

Sentai licensed Classicaloid! They're really starting to snap up those new licences after a lull last season. Wonder if they have any more?

TUSR

Banned
Since this thread has ~130 posts until we reach 20,000 and I currently don't have time until tomorrow evening to work on and create the Fall OT someone else will have to do it.

Cornbread78

Someone the BGBW bat signal...

He says he works best under pressure anyhow.

If not, I can throw something together tomorrow morning, but it will not be anything compared to what they would put together...

Cornbread78

Fall Anime 2016 |OT| More Magical girls than your average harem
Fall Anime 2016 |OT| Blowing the tunes of love
Fall Anime 2016 |OT| Banding together to stay warm
Fall Anime 2016 |OT| Eupho Magic Project

TUSR

Banned
The best compromise would be for me to post a thread at 20k posts with it under construction.

Unless someone comes forward and expresses interest, let's go with that.

This is honestly haly's fault.

Cornbread78

The best compromise would be for me to post a thread at 20k posts with it under construction.

Unless someone comes forward and expresses interest, let's go with that.

This is honestly haly's fault.

, so let me guess, you spent your time you should have been preparing the OT playing LoL with Haly..... right? Riiiiight?!

tumblr_nzqkymuKf91rxzudco2_r1_500.gif

nevermind these two, there's no way Kumiko & Reina don't hook up by the end of the season...

Cornbread78

no he's actively trying to get me banned and threatened to blackmail me.
I have the chat logs.

What a bully!

Anyhow, I found a couple perfect gifs for the temp OP:

tumblr_np5va2Xw2k1u2bcamo1_540.gif

tumblr_np5va2Xw2k1u2bcamo3_540.gif

tumblr_np5va2Xw2k1u2bcamo2_540.gif

you're working night and day to get it done.

The reason threads don't go past 200 pages is due to some sort of technical issue I believe with the GAF servers.

I remember Evilore saying it was to lighten the server load that the "Megathreads" used to cause... I'm not sure that would prevent a thread or two going past it periodically. Maybe if someone messages him, he will respond. Ducky just like to chew up and spit out Cornbread, lol.

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 476-477
Why is Sasuke so sexy.

So yeah this was good. Not quite sure where it ranks as it's a bit of a different duck compared to most of those other stand out episode in that the ending story beats stuff take precedence over flashy action, end up taking a lot of time and the Sasuke&Naruto stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea but it was great nonetheless. Wish we got more of the taijutsu with them at the top of their game like at the beginning, that was easily my favourite part and the choreography there was amazing. Loved how aptly it managed to utilize (well the whole fight did but this bit in particular) the entire moveset of characters. I always dislike how in most shounens most characters are just one trick ponies so seeing them and especially Sasuke move swiftly from taijutsu to hand seals to Katon to shurikens/kunai to various powers of Rinnegan, all used in a cold blooded and logical way and without the need of 30 seconds of superfluous commentary for each move was the stuff the dreams were made of. I feel like Yamashita could have spiced up some bits, especially the beginning but he redeemed himself at the end.

duckroll

No one cares if a thread goes over 20,000 posts a little bit. Seriously. Lol. :p

Guys I'm walking towards my shelf and talking Cold Steel 2 out of the case...

Yonafunu

Might as well post this here too.

Naruto Shippuden 476 - 477

So I just got done watching episode 467 and 477, and boy was that disappointing. The first taijutsu fight was great, if a bit stiff, and the same goes for the slugfest at the end. But the middle parts were boring as hell (the entire Susanoo vs Kyuubi fight, basically). There was no interesting animation, no visual flair, just boring all around. The bland Kyuubi design really dragged this whole part down, a simple opaque design like that needs more exaggerated animation and effects to pop (which is why it can be a great conduit for amazing animation), but there's was none of that here. Not to mention the same flashbacks we've seen a million times before interrupting the flow.

I'll probably have to watch this again for more eloquent thoughts, but the gist of it is I'm disappointed. Boring fight, boring episodes. 133 was sooo much better.

The Naruto x UT OVA will forever be the real final battle for me.

edit: I did like that they brought back sadness and sorrow. The only thing that got an emotional reaction out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom