• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

VwATRcM.gif

banderasbqfj7.png

Lol. That's kind of the impression I get. Kotaku's bit kinda confirms it for me.....

Sounds like physical torture, as is often the case when a game's humor does not resonate with me at all. I guess then you just have to skip it\mute it any way you can and just hope the game is fun.

It does have a profanity filter, I'm not sure how extensive it is but it has one :)
that would really be amazing if true...

Just waiting for majority of GAF users on this one. I only like this and Forza so it's kinda hard to justify spending another $300 bucks for another console. But I'm always looking for amazing deals on black friday.

That Kotaku review where the criticize the jokes about how they keep forcing the 4th wall thing is what I feared for this game. I'm not surprised it has an 83 meta, I'm surprised the biggest sites like that humor, I find it very annoying, even if the game is fun.

Still glad the base game is a solid start to what looks to be a franchise. Leaning on just waiting to see if future titles go multi though, I think 3DS deals this year should be good with the new system.

The Flash

Banned
Since I don't want to unfairly poke fun at a game I've never played, I decided that this would be an acceptable alternative.

Bsw4gRf.gif

Freebie
UWZLACo.gif

Who came up with the drink gif with anotnio? It makes so much sense and its brilliant lol.

Nibel posted a pic of Antonio drinking Overcharge. I just gif'd it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have to wait until tomorrow night :( Though I have faith in BestBuy shipping. It will come on time, but I won't be home from work until 7PM.

Been watching video reviews and I'm getting even more hyped. I also saw somebody wearing what looked to be a mexican wrestling mask. Which means my dreams can come true and my beloved character of El Pollo Loco can come to Sunset Overdrive.

The digital version also has the Acordes de la Muerte melee weapon DLC

400px-DLC-acordes-de-la-muerte1.jpg

a.wd

Understand, understand,
Understand, understand,
Understand, understand the concept of love

Understand, understand,
Understand, understand,
Understand, understand the concept of love

That's what I am going to be listening to when I play this game.

I want to kiss you. Right on the face.

For those who don't know.

fb99075b20df287e3bc0679e7272f684.png

Seriously, go to this. I went to the release party for Destiny, they had free pizza and drinks, you could play the game, and they had a raffle for Xbox One stuff. I won a pair of XO Seven Turtle Beach headphones that were worth $160 dollars.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Gamefly is shipping me the game. But if I can be El Kabong... fuck.

Is there any way to pay extra for that weapon? If not I might get the digital version.

No idea yet...I had this coming through Amazon at first but cancelled and went digital. I picked the Digital Deluxe version but the regular digital pre-order version has this too.

The game prompted me with a 311MB update for those of you who are wondering(thank god for no BIGASS updates). Been playing it for 2 hours now and man, the game is just crazy over the top fun. Been having a stupid grin on my face the whole time I was playing the game. The first minute or so feels weird but then when you get a hold of the mechanics and everything clicks GOTDAMN is it fun. It controls like a dream. The game starts with you making your character and basically everything breaks loose at the start of it after you are done making your character. Much like JSRF, the walking is just plain boring and slow but once you are grinding, jumping as well as vaulting all together mixed in with shooting HNNNNNGGGGG.

I think the best thing about the game is that it pushes you to play in that way so that you can build your style meter and thus have the amps turn on which act as attributes that can be put to your character as well as weapons, I can see many people having different attributes and such which should make online pretty damn fun with everyone having different shit equipped. Story so far is sirvacible but it really isn't the major point. The gameplay is and man is it fun. It's like Crackdown + JSRF but with crazy ass weapons and attributes to equip. The people who say the traversing is slow are dead wrong, once everything clicks, you would wish it goes slower so you could aim better and shoot but you'll get used to it pretty quickly and love the chaos. I'm sure the game offers more as I still didn't delve in deep with the customization nor the stuff you could get, I'm just having fun traversing and getting those JSRF feels/memories again. I don't even know how much faster or crazier things get the more I progress in the game and I upgrade. I uploaded a WebM footage taken offscreen and before I get crucified it's because the Xbox One upload thing is giving me errors so yeah, don't judge the look obviously but it's for you guys to take a feel of the gameplay.

The game also looks GORGEOUS. The colors just POP! reminds me of Windwaker and Prince of Persia 2008 except this plays smoother then the mentioned games. Overall, I think people who are looking forward to this won't be disappointed in the slightest. Comedy is subjective but I did have a chuckle here and there but it's definitely the "in your face" kind of funny so far. In the end though, If you want feel good gameplay and just overall over the top fun, then this game is for you.

Ape

Banned

Seriously, go to this. I went to the release party for Destiny, they had free pizza and drinks, you could play the game, and they had a raffle for Xbox One stuff. I won a pair of XO Seven Turtle Beach headphones that were worth $160 dollars.

I'm really tempted to go

Can you go to the party even if you don't buy the game there?

E92 M3

The game prompted me with a 311MB update for those of you who are wondering(thank god for no BIGASS updates). Been playing it for 2 hours now and man, the game is just crazy over the top fun. Been having a stupid grin on my face the whole time I was playing the game. The first minute or so feels weird but then when you get a hold of the mechanics and everything clicks GOTDAMN is it fun. It controls like a dream. The game starts with you making your character and basically everything breaks loose at the start of it after you are done making your character. Much like JSRF, the walking is just plain boring and slow but once you are grinding, jumping as well as vaulting all together mixed in with shooting HNNNNNGGGGG.

I think the best thing about the game is that it pushes you to play in that way so that you can build your style meter and thus have the amps turn on which act as attributes that can be put to your character as well as weapons, I can see many people having different attributes and such which should make online pretty damn fun with everyone having different shit equipped. Story so far is sirvacible but it really isn't the major point. The gameplay is and man is it fun. It's like Crackdown + JSRF but with crazy ass weapons and attributes to equip. The people who say the traversing is slow are dead wrong, once everything clicks, you would wish it goes slower so you could aim better and shoot but you'll get used to it pretty quickly and love the chaos. I'm sure the game offers more as I still didn't delve in deep with the customization nor the stuff you could get, I'm just having fun traversing and getting those JSRF feels/memories again. I don't even know how much faster or crazier things get the more I progress in the game and I upgrade. I uploaded a WebM footage taken offscreen and before I get crucified it's because the Xbox One upload thing is giving me errors so yeah, don't judge the look obviously but it's for you guys to take a feel of the gameplay.

The game also looks GORGEOUS. The colors just POP! reminds me of Windwaker and Prince of Persia 2008 except this plays smoother then the mentioned games. Overall, I think people who are looking forward to this won't be disappointed in the slightest. Comedy is subjective but I did have a chuckle here and there but it's definitely the "in your face" kind of funny so far. In the end though, If you want feel good gameplay and just overall over the top fun, then this game is for you.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH that statement goes straight into my heart! AHHHHHHHHH

Stiler

After watching some reviews/streams, I'm wondering am I the ONLY person who's going to play this and make at least an attempt at having a normal/attractive avatar?

Just seems like most videos the people go for making the most jacked up characters...

derFeef

After watching some reviews/streams, I'm wondering am I the ONLY person who's going to play this and make at least an attempt at having a normal/attractive avatar?

Just seems like most videos the people go for making the most jacked up characters...

Nah, me too. I did the same in SR3/4 - cool character it is.

Nah mine will be as close to me as possible minus the huge muscles

Streamers are always going to have the most insane character look they can, I think.

Playing chaos squad I saw a lot of people with more normal / cool looking avatars.

That being said, my character is going to look like a hobo got run over by an acid truck.

No idea yet...I had this coming through Amazon at first but cancelled and went digital. I picked the Digital Deluxe version but the regular digital pre-order version has this too.

fuck it. El Kabong trumps anything else gonna go ahead and buy the digital version. I can still rent ACU and MCC and then keep the latter since I have no rush of games for the holidays.

Certinty

As much as I want this, i'm still not too sure what replay value i'll find with it. Will probably just end up getting AC Unity and GTA V instead, don't think I can justify buying another game in the space of a few weeks.

Dabanton

I'll be making my usual. A redheaded female. I do it in every game that offers that option.

ME,FO,SR,GTAV:O my redheaded gal runs through all of them.

I'll be making the character I always make. An albino named Alphonse Bino (Or Al Bino if character restricted). But during the hours of justice he doubles as a mexican wrestler called El Pollo Loco with his mighty guitar of justice to kabong zombies.

Pimpbaa

Looks like I will be getting the Sunset Overdrive bundle not just for the white xb1, but because I want the game now too.

Top Bottom