• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

You tiny brained wiper of other peoples bottoms !!

hXqWIWu.gif

I always believed it was an important and vital role.

cakely

I just signed up to see when the "Xbox One Special Edition Sunset Overdrive Bundle" would be available on Amazon.

If what I suspect is true, it will become available again when the $349 promo begins. When that happens, I just might become the owner of an Xbox One.

Unrelated: Does anyone still play Titanfall on the Xbox One? I really enjoyed it for the Xbox 360.

rrc1594

I just signed up to see when the "Xbox One Special Edition Sunset Overdrive Bundle" would be available on Amazon.

If what I suspect is true, it will become available again when the $349 promo begins. When that happens, I just might become the owner of an Xbox One.

Unrelated: Does anyone still play Titanfall on the Xbox One? I really enjoyed it for the Xbox 360.

I do horde mode is fun as hell

Mugatu

Well Amazon is giving people the $50 if they pre-ordered so there's probably no conspiracy or stock being held back.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2kgy84/amazon_refunding_the_50_dollars_for_the_so_bundle/

Yeah I think I get what Insomniac was going for here. Building a type of mini-game into the regular combat/traversal where you try to keep the flow going and the more you combo the faster you can travel and whatnot.

I like that quite a bit. I said this is the one game announcement at E3 I was jelly over. The streams I have been watching so far have been from official reviewer / streamers and for some reason they can't stop themselves from sucking it up, so it is not giving the best impression. But this type of game in the hands of someone good could be a fun watch. I really hope that PC rumor ends up being true.

May have to steal a friends X1 for a week or so. Yup, think I might.

SgtCobra

It only scored 2 points lower on metacritic...
And Metacritic will only add more reviews for SO as the week goes by, so the difference cab only get lower or higher, I know the Gamekult review yet needs to be added.
But nah, 80 is a crap score amirite? I'd hope Flash would be smarter than to add more fanboy fuel to the war but whatever.

Sydle

Banjo would be good, it'd be great to have that back and Crash on the PS4.
I hope there's a suggestion for a LO2 on that suggestions page!

Just read EG's review for Sunset, seemed a bit mixed but generally more positive than negative. I hope there's a thread for gamertag swapping for chaos squad, most my friends have gone PS4 only this gen :(

Banjo and Crash. I would melt.

There are 4 separate suggestions, this one has over 2,000 votes...

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...re-s-the-jrpg-such-as-lost-odyssey-2-will-jrp

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I cancelled my digital order the other day and have a physical waiting.

What are the odds the digital will still unlock tomorrow night?

Patroclos

Banned
It looks gorgeous...anyone know what engine the game's using? Proprietary?

I think all we know is that it's an in-house graphics engine.

It is our own engine. We do use some middleware (havok for physics, for example, among others.)

It is the same basic engine that we wrote for Fuse, obviously with a bunch of iteration since then and ported to the xbox one.

Ironically one of the things that was agreed on when the engine was first being planned was that it would not support open world games, but obviously that didn't last. If there is one truism in game development, it is that as soon as you tell designers they can't do something, that will be the first thing they design.

I can't wait to get under the hood, so to speak, with this. Looks amazing in action, I actually really like the speed, it looks to benefit both visuals and gameplay. I love picking apart open world engines and finding out their strengths and quirks. Tonight should be a good night.

I hope the difficulty is there on some level, even if it just is in a scoring mechanism.

Hindle

Banned
Yeah I think I get what Insomniac was going for here. Building a type of mini-game into the regular combat/traversal where you try to keep the flow going and the more you combo the faster you can travel and whatnot.

I like that quite a bit. I said this is the one game announcement at E3 I was jelly over. The streams I have been watching so far have been from official reviewer / streamers and for some reason they can't stop themselves from sucking it up, so it is not giving the best impression. But this type of game in the hands of someone good could be a fun watch. I really hope that PC rumor ends up being true.

May have to steal a friends X1 for a week or so. Yup, think I might.

It's always best if you own all 3 consoles dude. You can wait and hope SO comes to PC, or you can play the game this Christmas guaranteed by buying an X1.

It is the same basic engine that we wrote for Fuse, obviously with a bunch of iteration since then and ported to the xbox one.

Ironically one of the things that was agreed on when the engine was first being planned was that it would not support open world games, but obviously that didn't last. If there is one truism in game development, it is that as soon as you tell designers they can't do something, that will be the first thing they design.

You can't design Master Chief or Carmine from GoW armor to be used as clothing. That'd be impossible in this engine.

*crosses fingers*

Tainted

Some great reviews coming in....has the Xbone found it's system seller ? I think so

One of the most colorful games I've seen for quite a while (Maybe since Bulletstorm) :)

It's always best if you own all 3 consoles dude. You can wait and hope SO comes to PC, or you can play the game this Christmas guaranteed by buying an X1.

Yeh, no.

I dont have the kind of disposable income to purchase nearly $1000 worth of consoles, then get the accessories for those consoles, then buy individual games for each console lol. If I could do that I would but ....

Usually in a generation I end up owning most of the consoles though. It just takes years to get there. I don't plan on owning a X1 anytime soon. Our next purchase is the Wii U which may happen this christmas season or sometime next year around Zelda U release.

Hindle

Banned
Yeh, no.

I dont have the kind of disposable income to purchase nearly $1000 worth of consoles, then get the accessories for those consoles, then buy individual games for each console lol. If I could do that I would but ....

Usually in a generation I end up owning most of the consoles though. It just takes years to get there. I don't plan on owning a X1 anytime soon. Our next purchase is the Wii U which may happen this christmas season or sometime next year around Zelda U release.

Yea, forgot to add money permitting lol. In general, any gamer should be looking to own all 3 consoles per generation anyway. Just wait until there's like 3 or 4 games out and then buy it. It's what I'm doing with all 3 consoles.

alterno69

Banned
Some great reviews coming in....has the Xbone found it's system seller ? I think so

One of the most colorful games I've seen for quite a while (Maybe since Bulletstorm) :)

FWIW, i have two friends who are getting this bundle in the next couple of weeks, currently PS4 and WiiU owners.

One of them works at the Playstation HQ XD

Definitely will be waiting for user reviews on this one, as I've learned critical opinion is usually bat shit opposite of what I think. Plus, two of the reviews echoed exactly what I worried about

1) The immaturity/vulgarity of the voice/acting is off-putting &

2) The game keeps screaming at you "We're SOOO proud to be a f'n video game! yeah!"

Even the PR for the title had to constantly mention how they were no grays or browns or cover shooting or seriousness narrative to there title. It seems to be a game that is forcing the issue instead of subtly relaying the message.

Dam good X1 deals going for now, but I'm thinking of just saving my $$ for the new 3DS or WiiU.

Hopefully GAF people give nice impressions...

MS has been really killing it with quality exclusives this gen.

They have the highest rated AAA exclusives in their respective genres so far.

FPS: Titanfall
Open world action: sunset overdrive
Fighting: killer instinct
Driving: Forza Horizon 2

They've done a pretty good job. Can't wait for Sunset to unlock tonight!

no buy until i get my AAA dating sim

Noobcraft

Definitely will be waiting for user reviews on this one, as I've learned critical opinion is usually bat shit opposite of what I think. Plus, two of the reviews echoed exactly what I worried about

1) The immaturity/vulgarity of the voice/acting is off-putting &

2) The game keeps screaming at you "We're SOOO proud to be a f'n video game! yeah!"

Even the PR for the title had to constantly mention how they were no grays or browns or cover shooting or seriousness narrative to there title. It seems to be a game that is forcing the issue instead of subtly relaying the message.

Dam good X1 deals going for now, but I'm thinking of just saving my $$ for the new 3DS or WiiU.

Hopefully GAF people give nice impressions...
It does have a profanity filter, I'm not sure how extensive it is but it has one :)

Been watching video reviews and I'm getting even more hyped. I also saw somebody wearing what looked to be a mexican wrestling mask. Which means my dreams can come true and my beloved character of El Pollo Loco can come to Sunset Overdrive.

Top Bottom