• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| The Wedding of the Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recreat3

I just bought a switch and BOTW and I'm debating getting this.... should I just beat BOTW first?

Its a huge game and can sometimes be overwhelming..mario might be a nice break in between big zelda sessions. It looks like a must have now the reviews are coming in.

Jake2by4

Don't give them false hopes! Lol... You're right, but in my history with BB you're better off just accepting that your item could be late (especially if it still hasn't shipped a day before launch).

At least they will get UPS as a carrier. AMZ shipped mine Post office. I'm truly afraid of my switch and game get damage.

Lylo

Guys, if you bought the game from the Japanese eShop the game is already playable. Go now!

ccVUQhy.jpg

RPGCrazied

At least they will get UPS as a carrier. AMZ shipped mine Post office. I'm truly afraid of my switch and game get damage.

Gamestop has pretty good packaging. At least with CEs. They use right size boxes and pack it nice and tight so it doesn't fly around during shipment. So, I should be good.

Jake2by4

Gamestop has pretty good packaging. At least with CEs. They use right size boxes and pack it nice and tight so it doesn't fly around during shipment. So, I should be good.

Would have went with GS or BB but I had prime and more then enough credit to cover the Odyssey bundle.

I wrote the review for Gamer.nl, its a Dutch review though.

I gave it a 9,5. This is pure packaged pleasure. Hundreds of puzzles and platform sections. Controls are perfect. So much fun.

Only (small) setback: some smaller levels don't have as much to do as the bigger ones and after a while you start to see the way you get Power Moons is pretty much the same in each level, although of course the challenges accompanying it are different each times. They're very small problems though, compared to the pure fun that this game is.

The Boat

Here's my Portuguese review:

https://jogos.zwame.pt/review/super-mario-odyssey/

"More than a mish mash of elements to scratch a nostalgia itch, Mario Odyssey lives by its own merits, beautifully intertwining platforming and exploration to build something new and fantastic over the foundations that were already there.
A very fun odyssey that never stops surprising and putting a smile on your face, Super Mario Odyssey is the sublime culmination of everything Mario has done from its first steps in 3D to now."

10/10

Wow, fuck you Best Buy. It was "Get it by Oct 27th" and now it fucking says Wed. Nov 1st. Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME!? You fucking shitholes...

JonnyKong

Have the game since tuesday with ~8 hours playtime since then, and only found 100 moons so far...

I'm the same and have around 150. I have no idea how and where 600+ other moons are going to come from. This game must have an insane amount of post game content.

Skulldead

Sure the game look very good, but reading this is even better then Mario 64, having a really hard time to enter in that kind of hype.

ubiblu

Played for one hour, got about 12 moons. Easily one of the best tutorial/introduction phases in a game. It looks, plays, and sounds like an absolute dream. If the pace keeps up, this and BotW will be classic Nintendo GOAT material not seen for many, many years.

The parallels to the first time I played Mario 64 as a completely stunned eleven-year-old living in Tokyo are uncanny. This is the real deal people.

Orion514

Is anyone else getting their pre-order delivered early? I pre-ordered from Amazon and it says it will be delivered today.

judhudson

One last round tonight in Stardew Valley for me, then its getting shelved for awhile as I enjoy this game. Ugh, Stranger Things 2 + Super Mario + Halloween Parties. No sleep will be had this weekend.

Moose84

Without going into spoilers, how meaty is the post-game? Are we talking an insane amount like 3D Land, a big new chunk of content like 3D World, or less than both?

ubiblu

Without going into spoilers, how meaty is the post-game? Are we talking an insane amount like 3D Land, a big new chunk of content like 3D World, or less than both?

Plenty of post-game only moons (200+) and some new content. Given there are 836 unique moons, the post-game is also largely made up of the optional content in the main game.

Simbabbad

Funny how I hated the reveal, but the subsequent trailers hyped me up a LOT. I'm even planning on getting a Switch eventually.

This is the 3D Kirby game we deserved, no matter if it has Mario in it.

Strings

Man, over an hour in. Pretty great... Outside of the Cappy motion controls. I kinda hate them. And you're locked out of 80% of his kit without them.

Murdoch

Do certain actions REQUIRE motion control. I'm playing with a pro controller and I'm unable to complete certain actions without flinging my controller about like a lemon. Anyone got any advice? Specifically throwing your hat around your body, and the homing hat to change direction.

Many thanks in advance!

Do certain actions REQUIRE motion control. I'm playing with a pro controller and I'm unable to complete certain actions without flinging my controller about like a lemon. Anyone got any advice? Specifically throwing your hat around your body, and the homing hat to change direction.

Many thanks in advance!

As far as I can tell as well, both moves in particular require motion control. It works well so far for me but yeah I wish there was an alternative.

DrMyster

Neo Member

Many thanks in advance!
You can throw the hat around your body by spinning the joystick first, like doing a spin jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom