• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Japan Demo Impressions

Anth0ny

He's definitely right about Marth. Sad.

The three characters I used in brawl are either nerfed to hell, or No longer in the game :(

Marth feels very nerfed. His range seems even worse than in Brawl (I was whiffing fsmashes like crazy and I'm pretty good with tippers). Aside fr his range and no ability to double fair he seems mostly the same, aside from running faster. It's his range that REALLY feels kinda killer to His melee/brawl play style.

Tipper ing with Marth seems to require your opponent to be a lot closer than ever before, it seems he won't be as much of a spacing monster as he's always been.

iWnlX5xpzU4qT.jpg

Nanashrew

Banned
Last one for tonight since it's 3am here.

Let me clarify some things on Pac-Man.

He DID feel slow but he wasn't ineffective. I generally play faster characters in general. Me and my friend have talked extensively about him having both played him and he feels A LOT like mr game and watch.

It's kind of a..."dorky" slowness, does that make sense? It's really so hard to explain without you actually playing him.

He's got this quirkiness in his movements, but his hitboxes are really good which appear to be the compensation for his pretty slow movement speed.

http://smashboards.com/threads/jp-3...s-for-zipzos-ama.366530/page-18#post-17487652

There's also a reddit page with updates as well but I don't have the link.

JoeInky

So is it more like Melee or Brawl? Can it be competetive?

Far closer to Brawl than any other game in the series
Yes, though for how long remains to be seen, definitely longer than Brawl, probably half as long as melee at best.

Marth nerfs are such bullshit.

Saw someone make a point about how they're going the LoL route instead of the much better Dota/2 route, sounds about right.
Make the characters weaknesses greater, don't nerf their good traits that make them unique.

Nanashrew

Banned
Zipzo is still updating and he'll have an AMA around 7pm Japan time, it's currently 5:30pm in Japan.

All your questions can be answered where ever he decides to do it. Most likely reddit.

Zipzo
Sonic does not have the disjointed hitbox on his utilt anymore.

Smash Bros. news keeping me awake D:

SuperSah

Banned
Someones question: Big question. Are the blast zones still set very far out? Click to expand...
Yes. Characters even go bubble status on battlefield without dying.

They were too spaced out in the demo, but the final game too?

Blizzard

Banned
Can't let people die by getting knocked off the stage too easily, that would make kids playing online upset!
Why kids in particular -- do adults not get upset? Why would kids be more susceptible to being upset about blast zones and not other game features that are in there? Why online and not offline -- would kids not be upset offline, considering the blast zones would be the same? :p

That just seems like a game design/balance choice, and maybe when the game comes out I won't mind it.

Why kids in particular -- do adults not get upset? Why would kids be more susceptible to being upset about blast zones and not other game features that are in there? Why online and not offline -- would kids not be upset offline, considering the blast zones would be the same? :p

That just seems like a game design/balance choice, and maybe when the game comes out I won't mind it.

Will probably just require a lower stock count for matches so they don't drag on for too long.

hupla

Oh mam Charizard has Seismic toss? And here i thought sakurai would neeeever eeeever use stuff from the anime

JoeInky

It's definitely a game design/balance choice, but it's intent, like quite a few other design decisions in the game, is to help people live as long as possible so that they don't get upset at getting knocked off at low percentages or something.

I'd imagine kids would be the most likely to overreact to dying at low percentages just because they wouldn't care about why they died, just the fact that they're not in the game anymore/for a few seconds if it's time.

I didn't really need to add online in there though, you're right about that. That's just me projecting what I thought Sakurai's thought process would be behind it.

"let's nerf marth's range"

"this shulk guy seems neat, let's give him hella range"

Well to be fair, Shulk kinda has to have a ton of range. His sword is designed to have big range in order to chop down Mechon (giant robot enemies in Xenoblade). It's actually longer in Xenoblade.

All of my 100s of AKB48 Miis have been ready ever since Miis were announced for Smash.
Mayu_Watanabe_02.jpg
Yuki_Kashiwagi_02.jpg
Minami_Takahashi_02.jpg
Haruna_Kojima_02.jpg

Mayuyu, the twin-tailed girl going up against Mario, had already worked with Nintendo in Xenoblade's Japanese TV commercials (as Fiora/Fiorung!) and in Pokemon promotions.

Metal B

From Zipzo:

Landing Lag

The elephant in the room. I will be blunt. Some moves have been given more landing lag. Sonic's bair. Falcon's knee. Air dodging.

However...

Many (I'd actually say the strong majority of) moves in the game have basically little to no landing lag. It was very easy to identify them quickly simply through playing. I believe that this whole landing lag thing is suffering from a near-sighted syndrome effect. People are playing the characters they like in the way they always have, and when they come across a move they are used to using a lot and it seems to have a bit of landing lag, they suddenly attribute that to the entire game. Now all of the sudeen every single aerial has more landing lag?

The fact of the matter is that landing lag isn't so serious as has been blown up to be.. It does make characters affected feel [/i]different[/i] to play, because you need to change how you move and what abilities you use. You have to adapt, but it certainly does not make the game slower.

Overall, I can say with confidence that the game is not suffering from some kind of overall landing lag issue.

Combos

Tilts.

Tilts, tilts, tilts.

Tilts are going to be huge. Most experienced players know how important good tilts are for combos and that seems to be the case here. In any case, combos tend to become way more difficult when your opponent is at higher %s, but at low %s combos are definitely a thing. Something about the way the characters connect in this game has been seriously changed from past iterations.

Advanced Techs

Brawl dash dancing. No wavedashing. No l-cancelling but there is teching (or maybe it was auto-cancel? Hard to say...) Pivot cancel is still in. You are able to do tilts as well in the same way. It's pretty neat. I wouldn't say it's like the definition of a meta, but it's a neat trick for mix-ups.

Ledge Mechanics

Okay, lets get this explained.

The ledge snap has been nerfed significantly. It's way more similar to Melee than Brawl. I don't know frame data for Melee so I wont' say it's the same, but tbh I think it may just be a tad more forgiving than Melee, but it is definitely nerfed.

There is a small "ledge immunity" after letting go of a ledge. The ledge immunity is to you. I tested this extensively with Ike, Megaman, and Charizard.

Basically if you drop off the ledge (in a manner that you would do if you were trying to maybe stall there), the ledge actually becomes un-grabbable (is that a word? lol) for a very small window of time.

For example if you are Charizard and you drop off the ledge or get trumped, and you hop very quickly back to the ledge, you will not grab it. You will just fall right past it.

Characters with flips for their 2nd jumps or anything resembling a buoyant animation (like Kirby) are less affected by this and I'll tell you why. It seems that the game waits for some of the ending frames of the characters flip animation before enacting the grab mechanic. I tried with Marth and Shulk who both have flips, and they basically just bumper car'd the ledge until their flip animation was done, then they would grab it. Characters like Charizard, Megaman, and Ike would just not grab it at all and fall. The details around these mechanics needs to explored a lot more, but overall, I think the off-stage game has been given a whole new make-over.

Game Speed

The speed of the game is...omg this must be so surprising to hear, but it's inbetween Brawl and Melee. However...air speed is still closer to Brawl. Ground speed is very Melee feely though.

Fast falling is incredibly fast though.

Shields are fast. Very fast. They are basically the new wave-dash (I dare say), I'm being totally serious, and you can attack out of them with a great deal of attacks.

Overall

This game did not feel like Brawl, and I've been playing a lot of Brawl lately to prepare and I almost feel bad for doing so. It actually felt more like Project M, to be honest if I had to compare it to something, but when it comes down to it I almost feel like I'm insulting the word put in to this game to simply size it up to some previous iteration.

This game has soo much freakin' stuff in it. I now understand what Sakurai was saying when he said they basically rebuilt all the characters. Even though many characters possess the same movesets, you can really tell they aren't the same. The animations have been rebuilt from scratch. Peach has mostly the same moveset, but her body moves so intricately and 100% differently in the way that she executes them. It is absolute madness to witness.

I really do believe the characters were built from the ground up. Same move-sets withstanding. Characters interact with one another in a way we've yet to see, the hit-stun in Smash 4 is unique, and the characters have had literally everything touched up.

Blah, blah, excited to play the game, blah, blah. Let's get this AMA going.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All of my 100s of AKB48 Miis have been ready ever since Miis were announced for Smash.
http://s30.postimg.org/saapiu019/Mayu_Watanabe_02.jpghttp://s29.postimg.org/tuuovxboj/Yuki_Kashiwagi_02.jpghttp://s21.postimg.org/t0879lc5f/Minami_Takahashi_02.jpghttp://s27.postimg.org/a3udt45u7/Haruna_Kojima_02.jpg
Mayuyu, the twin-tailed girl going up against Mario, had already worked with Nintendo in Xenoblade's Japanese TV commercials (as Fiora/Fiorung!) and in Pokemon promotions.
Hope you enjoy beating them up in Multi Man Miilee.

JoeInky

It cannot, if it's anything like Brawl.

Well it can by virtue of the fact that it's a multiplayer game, you should have used different wording.

Brawl was "competitive" but the competitive scene for it died down very quickly compared to other games in the series, it wasn't a good competitive game and it didn't have longevity at all, you should have clarified what you meant.

Swordy

Some more Palutena info from Zipzo:

2. I would describe her as a "Tank" class if this were an MMO. She's very beefy, and yet somehow still moves incredibly quick. She has good spacing and her recovery is like Zelda.
3. I didn't get to use her Final Smash >_<
4. I posted a little about her costume color swaps. I think it was black, pink, green, red/white, a super dark violet one, and I can't remember the others. Nothing significant though, just colors. Pit had nothing special either.
5. Not sure >_<
6. Her Upsmash is the one I'm most afraid of. Throws I did not test, but her Upsmash is freaking ridiculous.

Oh mam Charizard has Seismic toss? And here i thought sakurai would neeeever eeeever use stuff from the anime

There's a lot of references to the anime, though. Like that Misty trophy in melee that's based on her anime design and the fact that most of the Pokemon in the g
smash games use their anime voices.

KHlover

Banned
Did you ignore Pikachu in every Smash game so far? And all of the Pokeball pokemon?

All from the anime, as shown by their anime voices.

MNC

Y'know, palutena always struck me as too big as well after seeing her trailer. Her wings make her especially big

The Hermit

When palutena rolls she turns invisible
Like she's teleporting

Kirby has a "naked Metaknight" alternate

Charizard can be purple, yellow, red, grey

Megaman has yellow

And black

All that, plus Deity Mask, and the confirmations that Wolf is dead.

All good news around.

Thoraxes

Fucking amazing thread.

Love that I've played enough Smash to know what all the technical terms and changes mean too!

Thanks to all who are contributing!

hupla

There's a lot of references to the anime, though. Like that Misty trophy in melee that's based on her anime design and the fact that most of the Pokemon in the g
smash games use their anime voices.
Im refrencing a few posts ive seen here and on other boards say sakurai doesnt consider the anime and specifaclly told people who wanted Zard to have seismic toss "stupid" haha.

Top Bottom