• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also, to throw it out there, Pingtest is better for measuring your connection for gaming than Speedtest. It specifically measures the quality if your connection, ping, and jitter.

106909451.png

"Some online games may not perform optimally"

:(

I think I still have my LAN adapter which I used to use for my Wii. I should probably look for it later on. Though later on would probably mean a couple of months.
Naw, from top of my head, if you are only using internet for smash (no multitasking). You might only need 5mb down and 2mb up with good ping but I could be wrong. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My thumb rule for my online gaming is more than 20mb down and 3mb up.
Ah, good to know. Wasn't sure since Smash for 3DS seems like it will be asking for a bit more in bandwidth.

SuperSah

Banned
3782343557.png

Mine's the worst one here.
Home connection. Absolute balls and the homeowner refuses to upgrade it.

My mobile 4G is 53ms Ping, 9.6Mbp/s Download, 9.77Mbp/s Upload.

If I must, will use 4G for Smash.

Our internet sucks in MS. Tested my work and it was 5 mbps. Think my home is around the same. I really want to move to somewhere that has Fiber Optic and not Cable.

Berordn

Our internet sucks in MS. Tested my work and it was 5 mbps. Think my home is around the same. I really want to move to somewhere that has Fiber Optic and not Cable.

You should be able to get much faster than that, even with cable... but that'd all depend on your ISP.

Hatchtag

Banned
Just finished beating Classic Mode with every character. That took care of a nice chunk of custom moves (I now have all customs for Ganondorf, DK, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt) as well as brought me up to 480 trophies. Debating if I wanna try to clear all-star with everybody, try to clear the checklists, or try to unlock all customs next.

Roo

Also, to throw it out there, Pingtest is better for measuring your connection for gaming than Speedtest. It specifically measures the quality if your connection, ping, and jitter.

106909451.png

106909713.png

Same :/

Edit: I'm actually surprised it went all the way to Monterrey when Mexico City has way better host/servers.

SmithnCo

The mii costumes in this game are so good. Power loader, suit, the obviously Tron costume that conveniently goes on a mii character that can have a disc attack.

Tenck

106909451.png

Thought I was going crazy cause I knew about that site, but couldn't remember the name.

Here's mine

Works for me!

MBR

Banned
3782343557.png

Mine's the worst one here.
Home connection. Absolute balls and the homeowner refuses to upgrade it.

My mobile 4G is 53ms Ping, 9.6Mbp/s Download, 9.77Mbp/s Upload.

If I must, will use 4G for Smash.
You could offer to pay for an upgrade if you are the one who wants it.

ffdgh

Ohok

106909966.png

Some online game may not perform optimally. They've been working well enough so far so I'm not worried lol.

Miutsu

how do you pass the time

cause it's clearly not with the internet

I've learnt to play the waiting game.

Surprisingly it has worked ok with games with good netcode (even some fighting games like BlazBlue/P4A was ok/good to play a lot of times) but its not always... not always :/

Will be changing countries soon but I hope Smash 3DS doesn't lag too much for me in the meantime.

"Faster than 58% of VE" ;_; I'm so sorry

And I believe it!

DaBoss

I never can trust SpeedTest due to how unstable it is with my connection (goes from 12mb/s to 75+mb/s to 16mb/s) and how the server quality varies greatly. I don't imagine PingTest being much better in this regard, but I feel like it will probably give a more accurate picture.

106910350.png

I live in Toronto.
why is my rating barely higher than yours despite the much lower ping
Cause it takes distance into account.

EDIT: Wait, I'm so dumb. It is cause we don't have packet loss tracking enabled.

It's 39.8 upload and 11.35 download good?

Pretty much. 30 upload and 10 download is a pretty ideal connection.
That being said, I can play Mario Kart 8 flawless most of the time. If Smash 3DS has issues online, it is because of coding issues. Much the same way Mario Kart Wii ran fine for me and Brawl had slideshow matches.

OceanBlue

106910733.png

Lol for some reason, I get decent ping to a server in Atlanta, but ~80-100 ping to servers in my state.

Even with my F+ grade connection, I can play online games just fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

Ehh, I don't know. Fighting games online is a pretty bad experience for me and I have an "F+ connection" (6 Mb down/0.75 Mb up).

emb

So is the ping you get from something like that the latency you'll expect in online matches?

Because 34+ seems pretty rough to actually play online if so.

Linius

I installed Java because of you guys. There's no going back now.

106910858.png

3782381608.png

And still it won't give me the package lost result... :(

Loxley

Welp, Nintendo has forced my hand. I don't own a 3DS, and my original intent was to grab an XL in time for Smash's launch...but with the New 3DS on the horizon, spending $200 on a handheld when its pseudo-successor is on the way seemed a tad silly. However, my desire to play this was too great to wait an additional 4-6 months before I could play it...so I ended up grabbing a 2DS for pretty cheap ($60). That's low enough that I won't hate myself for buying the New 3DS next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom