• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyful

3782306567.png

awwww yissss

I think you will be ok to play smash

so I ended up grabbing a 2DS for pretty cheap ($60). That's low enough that I won't hate myself for buying the New 3DS next year.
Spending only 100 to play Smash is a pretty good deal overall. I know some people bought a Japanese 3DS to play Smash early. As for games, the Star Fox and OoT remakes are rad.

Marche90

This one's not mine, however, just my campus' internet, and mine will be added later. Still, it sucks like hell, the connection drops a lot and it's blocked to every site known to mankind, so it's useless for smash :/ (surprisingly the desktop version of gaf was spared... The odd thing is that m.neogaf.com wasn't)

3782306567.png

awwww yissss

cat_its_beautiful.jpg

Linius

Without packet loss measuring:
106910350.png

With packet loss measuring:
106911064.png

Need to update Java and allow PingTest to use it.

I especially installed Java and it doesn;t work. Like per usual when I install Java for someting. I dunno, Java just hates me. Luckily you don't need it anymore.

But since I'm on a fiberglass connection I imagine I should be fine.

Durden77

So tonight I'm finally going to be adding most everyone from the Google doc to my 3DS friends list in preparation for launch. Hope some of you have added me, can't wait to smash you guy's faces.

Also is the archived footage of the tournament featuring M2K and the like? If someone could link me that would rock.

Timeaisis

So tonight I'm finally going to be adding most everyone from the Google doc to my 3DS friends list in preparation for launch. Hope some of you have added me, can't wait to smash you guy's faces.

Also is the archived footage of the tournament featuring M2K and the like? If someone could link me that would rock.

Where can I find this fabled google doc?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How far away is the server?

Distance doesn't really matter, ping is a standard time measurement regardless of how far the server is. Testing different servers that are different distances will give you different times.

You can expect your data to take different routes which can give you some interesting results though, like a further away server to the west versus a closer to the one to the east.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Re: Pingtest, I installed and allowed Java and that made my score an A. That's what the asterisk is for.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131291411&postcount=1017

Tipped Off 10 Smash 4 matches, finals in the first link and other matches in the second.

Also Hbox mentions a charity tournament (Melee), and the finals of that were super fun, had a smile on my face the entire time.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/570938159?t=3h47m15s

BY2K

Membero Americo
It seems like the 3DS boots into a different firmware for SSB. Is this correct, or am I just imagining things?

It pretty much shuts down everything it doesn't need.

Every time I close the demo, it reboots the system. That's how much juice this game takes from the system. It's pushing it to its absolute limit.

3782405603.png

Aww yess. Set for smash!

This is at the computer lab in my school, so I guess I'll be playing smash in the computer lab at my school

Linius

Man, with Fantasy Life and this game coming it really blows the friendslist is so limited. When I was very active playing New Leaf I already had to change around people on my friends list to keep doing trades and visits with everyone.

Distance doesn't really matter, ping is a standard time measurement regardless of how far the server is. Testing different servers that are different distances will give you different times.
The distance a packet has to travel to get to its destination is the main thing that affects ping, though. I'm just asking because 28ms ping is OK as long as he isn't like right next to the server.

The distance a user is from the server is not the distance a packet has to travel, of course. On our old ISP, ping to my city tended to be like 60ms because that ISP's routing was pure dog poo.

Kinsei

Banned
Whats ping do, I'm just looking at the big numbers on the left

I'm pretty sure ping (The lower the number the better) is the most important thing when it comes to gaming. Back when I played Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2, it would judge your connection by your ping.

Linius

With just a good connection you're not even set to play online all the time. My provider fixed their issues with the 3DS connectivity only a few months ago. Even though I have a great connection I played New Leaf via my phone's 3G connection.

KHlover

Banned
Whats ping do, I'm just looking at the big numbers on the left

Ping is what actually will determine your lag since it determins how much time it takes for the data you send to reach your opponent :3
Actual data transmitted is about 15KB/s iirc for SSB4, you could manage that in Up/Down speed with any mobile connection :p

Ping is what actually will determine your lag since it determins how much time it takes for the data you send to reach your opponent :3
Actual data transmitted is about 15KB/s iirc, you could top that in Up/Down speed with any mobile connection :p

So with 32 ping, is that really bad for smash? Or is it just noticeable at a high competitive level

foltzie1

It seems like the 3DS boots into a different firmware for SSB. Is this correct, or am I just imagining things?

It pretty much shuts down everything it doesn't need.

Every time I close the demo, it reboots the system. That's how much juice this game takes from the system. It's pushing it to its absolute limit.

Agreed, and it seems to reboot when I start Smash too, which led me to think it was booting a new firmware when starting the game.

It really doesnt matter, but I've found it interesting that the 3DS uses 4 (now perhaps 5) distinct firmwares (3DS, DSi, GBA, and System Settings).

Actual data transmitted is about 15KB/s iirc, you could top that in Up/Down speed with any mobile connection :p
Yep! For comparison, here's me pinging Washington, D.C., which is about 950 miles away:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom