• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

So, if someone sets a custom neutral B, does Kirby get that custom neutral B or the default one?

I can actually go try this tomorrow if no one knows the answer.

georly

Side 3 also seems to eat through shields and smash attacks. Up 2's great because I don't think Ganondorf's Up B has enough knockback or does enough damage in this game to be a good option like it kinda was in Melee/PM, so I think Up 3 is good. It's very situational, but it's really useful if it connects. I just don't think there's any reason to have Up 1 if you have Side 3, because in just about every situation you can use Up 1, you can also use Side 3, and Side 3 will be better.
That being said, I haven't really used Up 3 much, so I donno if there's a good way to use that that i'm unaware of.

Side note, considering you seem to keep getting customs for the same characters I have all the customs for (Ganon, DK), I'm gonna guess your next ones will be Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer :p.

I just play as I feel, and as soon as it says the message that i've unlocked everything... i work on them. 3 so far that joe hasn't done.

Thanks, Ganon's specials seem decent. Definitely looking forward to playing as him. The sword move sounds too slow though, I'd rather have the fast neutral B on paper.

Sword is the same speed, as far as I know. It just has increased range at the cost of damage/KO. Unless you mean speed of the overall match.

jnWake

I don't understand the obsession some competitive players have with combos in Smash. Some combos are pretty cool but many of the typical ones (like doing consecutive Up tilts) are super boring and lame looking. The fun in Smash battling to me is in all the reads, the chasing and other movement stuff, so I can't understand why the community complains so much about "no combos in Smash 4".

Josephl64

I just play as I feel, and as soon as it says the message that i've unlocked everything... i work on them. 3 so far that joe hasn't done.

really like the effort you 2 have shown so far, also amazingly you guys happened to not unlock all of them for a single one of my mains yet, but it's bound to happen eventually :)

Kyzon

Stealing your format again

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time it's the Gerudo King, Ganondorf

zaXUYgU.jpg

Who would dare to take up arms against the king of light and shadow...?

Neutral Special 1 (Warlock Punch)

X7RqlRN.jpg
xQURgm8.jpg

One of the strongest specials in the game, if not THE strongest. Packs a wallop! Now with super armor!

Neutral Special 2 (Execution Sword)

4uFAhii.jpg
VVlNl11.jpg
vtrl1JJ.jpg

Like the warlock punch, but it sacrifices damage and knockback for range. It's very similar to falcon punch in power. Also, he uses the sword (albeit awkwardly).

Neutral Special 3 (Fast Warlock Punch)

PvI9C9R.jpg
XNswL10.jpg

Much much faster chargeup, with an AOE blast in front of him that does less damage and less knockback. Great for racking up damage, but not great for KOing your enemies.

Side Special 1 (Flame Choke)

L3mGBuy.jpg
lL34l1w.jpg

The famous chokeslam from brawl. Dashes to the side, grabs your opponent by the neck/face, and them slams them to the ground without ground bounce. Your opponents can tech-roll out of it, but if they don't know better, you can follow up with a down tilt for decent knockback. If you can predict which way they'll roll, you can usually follow up with something else. If you use it in the air, it spikes them all the way to the ground. If you use it off stage, you both KO (them first!)

Side Special 2 (Explosive Choke)

kmhIjLt.jpg
5T7RbLC.jpg
2LjgSH6.jpg
aEFpYfS.jpg

Same as the normal one, but instead of slamming them to the ground, it know causes upward knockback. Can be used as a KO move at roughly 120%+ on some characters. If you use it in the air, it also spikes to the ground, but with MUCH more KO power, since they hit the floor, too.

Side Special 3 (Flame Tackle)

CceAu22.jpg
PaZIBTW.jpg

Instead of grabbing the opponent, it now dashes THROUGH the opponent causing multiple hits and next to no knockback. It's really good at piling on damage, so if you don't mean to use the chokeslam as a mechanism to combo into a KO move, then this is a great substitute for % building.

Up Special 1 (Dark Dive)

QavijTV.jpg

Same as brawl, similar to captain falcon's. This special move has you leap into the air, grabbing any opponent you come into contact with. Once you grab them, you deal extra damage and knock them away a little bit. I'm not particularly a fan of this move, but it's a decent way of racking up percent on your opponent.

Up Special 2 (Dark Upper)

CQ4RKnw.jpg
bgCnFpk.jpg
NWwUidw.jpg

This one loses its ability to grab your opponent, but it knocks the opponent upward at the start into (hopefully) a second 'shoryuken' punch at the apex of the move. It has decent knockback, but does less damage than the default. Yes, it's actually connecting in that second picture. That's how large the hitbox is for it.

Up Special 3 (Double Dive)

CvZdI4y.jpg
53gJG0t.jpg

This one is weird, it's like the first one, but it stops 1/4 of the way up to do a second jump w/ the same effects. This means that you can't grab your opponent at any point other than at the beginning and the end, but you seem to go higher up. I believe it deals slightly less damage as well, in exchange for the greater height. I need to play around with it more to figure out what other differences there are. Hard to show in pictures, but imagine him doing his up special twice in a row, with the first one only going about 6 feet high. The pictures show the apex of each one, if used from the ground.

Down Special 1 (Wizard's Foot)

XZXOluR.jpg
SyqEa9y.jpg

Ganondorf's version of the falcon kick. Slower startup, but more damage and knockback. Can be used as a KO move at higher percentages. If used on the ground it goes about halfway across the stage, horizontally. If used in the air, it comes down diagonally. It does an extra hit once ganondorf lands, in case you miss the kick part in the air. Causes about 12% damage and can KO at above 150% usually. Ganondorf's position does not indicate the trajectory. The visual effects (at an angle) indicate the trajectory.

Down Special 2 (Wizard's Wave)

4ajQz5W.jpg
0Y4sXlf.jpg
35aK8z1.jpg

Blue-er flames! If used on the ground, it forces Ganondorf into the air and he comes down at a diagonal. If used in the air, it moves at a wider angle than the default and covers more horizontal distance. Once he lands (even after the kick animation/hitbox is over) the force causes damage and knockback. Does less damage and less knockback, but the incoming angle tends to make it harder to avoid. It also seems to execute a bit faster. Using it in the air seems to have more knockback than on the ground. Again, the visual effects note the trajectory, if it's too hard to see in pictures.

Down Special 3 (Wizard's Strong Foot)

Zl5hckH.jpg
HmyLH7d.jpg

This one has a longer startup but it covers more distance. The best part about this one, however, is that if you use it in the air, it spikes straight down, rather than at an angle. The longer startup means it does more knockback than the others. It also covers more distance. Once again, the visual effects indicate trajectory. Ganondorf may be in the same position as he is in the normal one, but if you look at the VFX, you can see it's clearly going more perpendicular to the stage than the normal one.

Final Thoughts

Well, I'm going to use the sword out of principle. It still has the super armor, and it seems easier to hit with. I like all of his side specials, honestly, they each have their place. I think i'll also pick his 3rd up special, as it seems to have better recovery, which is all that matters to me from his up special. His down specials all seem really good, but I like his 3rd one since it allows me to kick straight down. It also covers more ground when used on the ground.

My loadout is probably 2233. Mainly because the normal flame choke is too hard to follow online, so using the one w/ KO potential might be really good.

Beautiful Artwork!

FSLink

Banned
I don't understand the obsession some competitive players have with combos in Smash. Some combos are pretty cool but many of the typical ones (like doing consecutive Up tilts) are super boring and lame looking. The fun in Smash battling to me is in all the reads, the chasing and other movement stuff, so I can't understand why the community complains so much about "no combos in Smash 4".

Combos don't matter too much as long as the neutral game is interesting IMO, but I do still dislike multiple air dodges in the air. I would have made it just one air dodge, but make you not go into freefall like Melee to make it a bit more friendly to beginners.

Kyzon, you really shouldn't quote the entire post just to put a small comment about it.

Lunar15

Also, they reused the "I fight for my friends" line for Ike's victory pose. It sounds even less fitting than it did before, now that Ike looks even more intense.

Dang it, why couldn't they have used something closer to the original line? Oh well, I'm sure most of you will enjoy this, lol.

Voliko

Sword is the same speed, as far as I know. It just has increased range at the cost of damage/KO. Unless you mean speed of the overall match.
I mean the sword one sounds too slow in general, just like the standard warlock punch. I think I'd rather have the speedier neutral 3

georly

I mean the sword one sounds too slow in general, just like the standard warlock punch. I think I'd rather have the speedier neutral 3

They have super armor to make up for how slow they are, but yeah. 3 can really only be used to build up damage. You'd have to be at a pretty high percent to ko with it.

Which is fine, since ganondorf has tons of KO moves.

FSLink

Banned
Anyone have a spoiler-free character unlock requirement list?

It's basically every 10 vs matches if you want the easiest way.

(For even easier, unlock a stage by using Kirby's FS, then play on that stage with 1 stock, 1 CPU only, and use Fox and side-B off the stage over and over)

So Ganondorf effectively has a dive kick.

Amazing.

I like Diddy Kong's side-B variant where it really becomes a dive kick

I got my own bowling ball reflected back at me with Mario's cape one time... that was rough

CPU Mario is absolutely obsessed with that cape, which is great for Villager: launch a Lloid Rocket, have Mario reflect it back at you, and then pocket it - presto, you can now throw out two gyroids at once!

FSLink

Banned
Someone should do Ike's or Robin's custom moves :(
If Ike has a shockwave I will be so happy...

He does for Up+B variant 3.

I'd do them but I don't have all of them yet. :(

I could make some video clips of the customs I do have and then compile them when a character's done.

Anbec7

He does for Up+B variant 3.

I'd do them but I don't have all of them yet. :(

I could make some video clips of the customs I do have and then compile them when a character's done.

Oh god do it! do it! please LOL
throw more characters if you like, what other spells does Robin has?

FSLink

Banned
Oh god do it! do it! please LOL
throw more characters if you like, what other spells does Robin has?

Robin has a normal Fire Emblem esque "Fire" spell, with the fireball with no activation like PK Fire. Can't recall the others off the top of my head.
http://www.twitch.tv/fslink/b/569465422

03:13:16 for the few I had for Ike's last time I streamed all the custom moves I had at the time. I basically went in order through the entire cast starting from 02:15:53

Also, they reused the "I fight for my friends" line for Ike's victory pose. It sounds even less fitting than it did before, now that Ike looks even more intense.

Dang it, why couldn't they have used something closer to the original line? Oh well, I'm sure most of you will enjoy this, lol.

Is his mouth at least synchronized with his English lines this time?

Nine days? Only if you do some sketchy counting. 9/24 has only just begun; there are still 23 hours and 40 minutes of it left. So when you're counting how many days are left until the 3rd, you have to count the 24th, too. You can't just skip to the 25th and start counting there, because the whole of the 24th still lies ahead. It's 10 days, not nine.

Not to dampen anyone's hype or anything, but ya gotta respect the numbers :p

Nine days? Only if you do some sketchy counting. 9/24 has only just begun; there are still 23 hours and 40 minutes of it left. So when you're counting how many days are left until the 3rd, you have to count the 24th, too. You can't just skip to the 25th and start counting there, because the whole of the 24th still lies ahead. It's 10 days, not nine.

I went ahead and counted.

No, it is indeed 9 days, assuming one is getting it at midnight.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah where's the quicker list.

That is the quickest way unless you're joking. :p
Took me about an hour when I had to reunlock everyone on my cart version of Smash.

I'm still wondering if I should get it digital or physical.

I don't believe the save carries over even with a cart though, because of having to install some data on the SD card. At least this is what happens when I use my cart version of Smash 3DS on a different 3DS.

Just something to keep in mind ^

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

What?

Sept 24 - 9 days
Sept 25 - 8 days
Sept 26 - 7 days
Sept 27 - 6 days
Sept 28 - 5 days
Sept 29 - 4 days
Sept 30 - 3 days
Oct 1 - 2 days
Oct 2 - 1 days
Oct 2 half day - 12 hours