• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Please let playable bosses be fake. It sounds absolutely terrible.

Conceptually, I don't think it sounds terrible. However, Ridley, Mewtwo, or K. Rool as playable bosses sound absolutely terrible; I'm REALLY hoping it's not a thing just because those 3 are amongst most wanted, with Ridley & K. Rool literally being #1 & #4 respectively. Please don't take Ridley away from me!

Masahiro-Sakurai said:
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

shut down by sakurai gotdamn

How's this? Totally let me know if you want a different color. Really only takes a minute to do.

wahqir.png
Okay, I might be being a bit nitpicky here, but there's supposed to be a pixel's width between the background and the shadow.

If it helps any, this Twitter image has all of them aligned correctly at 1x scale.

(Also, that's not Robin's background color; it's supposed to be purple.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lol @ the reason against Chrom.

But yeah, it definitely sounds like there will be more clones the way Sakurai says that. Was already feeling that from the PotD, but he's reiterating it there again.

So, I managed to get my hands on a copy of this week's edition of Sakurai's "Think About the Video Games" column (thanks, Ryce!). Enjoy!
3AQmK.gif
Thanks for the translation! Very interesting stuff. Interesting that he did indeed consider her for an alternate costume and it sounds like, aside from that small change, she basically is. At least for those that aren't fond of her inclusion, she probably didn't take up much development time.

Drago

Anyone else here think that Lucas will make it into the game given that the Gematsu leak now isn't 100% accurate?
I can only hope. One of my fav Brawl characters and reps my favorite game of all time, I will be crushed if he's not in the game.

remz

Lucas and Dixie are somewhat clones?

As someone who is a Lucas main, I don't see how that can even make sense to work with Dixie Kong...

that leak is mega ultra super gamefaqs 12 year old wrote it fake but i presume he means dixie is a diddy clone

Hatchtag

Banned

I think it's more that he was intending for Robin and no Lucina, but then decided to make Lucina anyways.

Glad to hear that the thing about her being in only because a different character got cut was fake! Might mean more clones are on the way :D.

Moonlight

Banned
It hurts even more now, because Anna would've been: an FE staple, a woman, a unique fighter. Lucina is just scraps.
Sigh. Yeah, she'd have been perfect. I'm fine with Lucina as a compromise, though, assuming that we really couldn't have had another unique fighter.

If you guys had to decide between Roy or Lucina for Marth's clone in the game, who would you choose?
This isn't even a question. Lucina ten times out of ten.

Okay, I might be being a bit nitpicky here, but there's supposed to be a pixel's width between the background and the shadow.

If it helps any, this Twitter image has all of them aligned correctly at 1x scale.

(Also, that's not Robin's background color; it's supposed to be purple.)
The color was Moonlight's choice, but as for the pixel shadow spacing...how DARE you critique my work. You think you're so cool? Well, you're not! I hate you!!!

I'm nit picky too. Going to go fix it. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013#Schedule_and_results

Well, when you can pay players over a million to play chess, having an audience doesn't matter anymore.

Also, first google search "Chess Twitch" gives me this guy. He has over 2 million views total, I think that's decent.

I was just thinking about the level Smash will have to operate at. For example, players trying to assemble local tourneys, building community hype, etc., I'm not sure if Chess is spectator-friendly in that sense. But fair point. It may be a bad example. :p

JB-the-Hunter said:
High level-Melee isn't really aesthetically pleasing to me. It's exciting and thrilling to watch, but the advanced movement is also often irritating as well. It's very jerky and spastic. The characters look very unnatural doing what they're doing. I understand that it's just the nature of competitive Melee, but I hope Smash 4 finds a way around the awkward looking movement, while still retaining the movement options.

That's fair. I just meant that it is indeed exciting and thrilling to watch. If they got rid of wave-dashing (which really causes some of that jerky motion), I'd be fine with that. Dash dancing causes a bit of it, but that mechanic is important for mind games as well as movement. Cancelling moves in general also causes "jerky" animation, but it's pretty important in fighters.

If you guys had to decide between Roy or Lucina for Marth's clone in the game, who would you choose?

Lucina. I was hoping for her anyway, and I actually played her game. Also... she decides her fate.

Yeah I love that Lucina was included but the differences between her and Marth are ridiculously small. I wish they would've had slightly different stats like Lucina being lighter, faster and more airborne to go a long with the uniform damage window.

It seems like she is literally just a casual version of Marth for players to eventually graduate from her to Marth.

Yeah that's something that makes me scratch my head. Why not have Chrom be a Marth clone, but have the sword be balanced?

Because it makes more sense for Chrom to be in Robin's FS than Lucina.

So...is Lucina just flat out better than Marth or does she do less damage across the length of her blade compared to Marth who will do more with the tip?

That's strange: I would have thought Marth's tip would be more powerful than anything Lucina has - that Lucina's power is midway between Marth's tip and the rest of his sword - but this quote seems to indicate otherwise. Could it be an unclear translation? I know that's kind of a lame excuse, but it doesn't make sense to me that Lucina would have Marth's maximum power all along her blade.

Macka

the main difference between Lucina and Marth is that the former's moves will do the same damage regardless of which part of her blade hits, whereas Marth's attacks will only do maximum damage if the tip of his blade brushes the opponent.
So...is Lucina just flat out better than Marth or does she do less damage across the length of her blade compared to Marth who will do more with the tip?

Yeah I love that Lucina was included but the differences between her and Marth are ridiculously small. I wish they would've had slightly different stats like Lucina being lighter, faster and more airborne to go a long with the uniform damage window.

well he did say almost similar by how much remains to be seen really

Blizzard

Banned
I was thinking Lucina might be faster than Marth so she wouldn't be objectively worse for skilled players.

Given what Sakurai said though, it sounds like she will be worse unless a slightly small hitbox helps. Less knockback near Marth means better combo and better kill potential, and Lucina will have neither? Or am I missing something? *edit* I see someone asking just before me if she is better. I think the argument is that Marth would be better since he can choose between knockback/kill and combo potential, and Lucina cannot choose.

It seems a little odd if a fighter is specifically designed to be easy but worse, but I suppose it's not the end of the world.

PK Gaming

Sakurai said:
"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Oh snap.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special.

Talk about man after my own heart. I LOVE versatile characters. I'm all about that dual natured sword & magic fighting style.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Oh! OH!! OHHH!!!

WHERE YOU AT?! WHERE YOU AT?!?

Macka

Easier for less experienced players, but not better.
I'm clearly not understanding the difference between the two of them.

The way I'm interpreting this is that Lucina will do the same amount of damage that Marth would do with the tip of his sword across the entire length of her blade...and with a smaller hitbox as well. That would make her better.

Toxi

Banned
That's fair. I just meant that it is indeed exciting and thrilling to watch. If they got rid of wave-dashing (which really causes some of that jerky motion), I'd be fine with that. Dash dancing causes a bit of it, but that mechanic is important for mind games as well as movement. Cancelling moves in general also causes "jerky" animation, but it's pretty important in fighters.
Wavedashing is a fun mechanic. Why should looks be prioritized over fun? I thought Nintendo fans always argued against that.

Zubz

Banned
Would anyone else still be down for Roy down the road as DLC even if we already have Lucina? I really like Roy compared to Marth & Ike, even if I know he's the worst Fire Emblem protagonist and people just wanted Sigurd.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The way I'm interpreting this is that Lucina will do the same amount of damage that Marth would do with the tip of his sword across the entire length of her blade...and with a smaller hitbox as well. That would make her better.

I would look at it like this

Marth's tip does the most damage, then all of lucina's blade, then the rest of Marth's blade. So if his tip is a 10 and the rest is a 5, Lucina would be a 7 or so across the board. But it's hard to look at it without knockback values and stuff.

Marth's tip does greater damage than all of Lucina's blade.

Popnbake

Poor Chrom. ):

Marth should do more damage than Lucina when players hit with the tip of the sword.

Lucina should do more damage than Marth when players hit with the other sections of the sword (more length).

So Lucina is better for beginners.

At least that's how I read it.

Moonlight

Banned
I think when Sakurai is talking about 'unique characteristics', there's more to think about than just mechanical differences. Chrom wouldn't have had much in that regard - he's another blue haired sword-wielding male with very little distinguishing about him in many other regards and would have likely been a clone if it was really between him and Lucina. Even Roy, at least, had characteristics like his red hair to make him appear more distinct than Marth. Given that situation, opting for Lucina instead, who is, admittedly, still a blue-haired sword-wielder, makes more sense in the toss-up, because at least she has stuff like the mask and her gender to make her 'feel' like more of a distinct character than the previous two FE veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom