• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I would accuse Sakurai of doing so, actually.

His reasoning is all kinds of fucked. Chrom would be another swordsman, but Lucina works because....?

I'm not complaining about her inclusion, i'll probably main as Lucina. I'm drawing the only conclusion I can from that translation. She's a clone, but she's a woman so it's cool.

it's because her character essentially is marth for like half the game

Golnei

Actually, if Lucina began life as one of Marth's alts, can we say this is definite proof that we can expect some unique non-texture swap alts?

The Villager also kind of counts, but maybe. I'm at least expecting a little more than texture swaps for the Robins.

I don't understand how people are reading what Sakurai said as

Chrom wasn't different -> So we added Lucina

Instead of the way more logical and actually obvious interpretation of

Chrom wasn't different -> So we added Robin

EulaCapra

Well judging by the Sakurai translation, at least Lucina fans can breathe a sigh of relief that no matter what happened with Lucina be it alternate Marth costume or separate character, she would've been in no matter what no matter what else was happening in Fire Emblem land. :)

As opposed to Chrom, Lucina being a marth clone brings so much more to the table. such as boobs.

Have you even looked at her for more than 3 seconds?

screen-5.jpg

screen-10.jpg

Girl's flat as an ironing board.

Chrom got screwed just like Bret Hart. Chrom>Lucina

tinfoilhat.gif
Montreal Screwjob was a work.
tinfoilhat.gif

We're reading it as "we made a marth clone and went with Lucina instead of Chrom"

His reasoning is all kinds of fucked. Chrom would be another swordsman, but Lucina works because....?
Lucina wasn't originally a playable character, she was an alternate costume for Marth that got turned into a full character. Chrom would have been "just another swordsman" while Lucina is more of an alternate character to Marth.

We're reading it as "we made a marth clone and went with Lucina instead of Chrom"
Well you should be reading it as "We made Lucina an alternate costume of Marth and decided she'd work better in her own slot. Neither Lucina nor Chrom were intended to be characters. Lucina was lucky to get in."

Tripon

Right. There's two different things Sakurai was working with.

One, he wanted to increase different play styles, that's why he went with Robin over Chrom.

Then, he saw that with a little more work and development, he could turn what was once an alternative skin for Marth into its own clone character in Lucina, so his team did that.

Now, you can argue that Sakurai could have just done that for Chrom, but Sakurai seems to imply that Chrom needed his own play style in order to justify his inclusion, and he had difficulty making it different from Marth (and I assume Ike).

Lucina doesn't need any justification from having a similar fighting style to Marth since much of her backstory is tied to Marth.

So basically, for Chrom to be included, he would have to play drastically different.

Azure J

Just read that "Pipe Buster" leak and well. I really really want to believe but yeah there's too many things about it that read like well wishing more than anything conclusive.

Has anyone conclusively confirmed or disconfirmed the "A character was cut, so we put in Lucina" thing?

Seeing the full translation of the blurb everyone referred to above and Masked Man covering the initial information on the character spread pages, I'd say we have all the outlets covered and nothing mentions that a character was cut and Lucy was promoted in their stead.

jph139

So I think this is the thought process for FE characters for Sakurai.

- Marth and Ike for sure.
- Chrom as the newcomer.
- Eh, Chrom's boring. Who else is there?
- Robin is interesting, let's do Robin.
- Robin can have a female alt, Marth can have a Lucina alt.
- [Some reason, some reason.] Lucina shouldn't really be an alt.
- Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina.

There's a lot of reasons they might have separated them out. Lucina is shorter? Changing his mind on "characters shouldn't have alts of other characters?" More female newcomers? Obviously, it's because she has different mechanics, but I'm not sure which was the chicken and which was the egg - Lucina should be a separate slot, or Lucina has different attributes.

Ezalc

Question is why he decided that Lucina was worth adding when the only difference between her and Marth that is known so far is that you don't need to focus with only hitting with the tip of the sword to get the most damage out of it.

Azure J

Just goes to show you that Fire Emblem dialogue is all about some blue haired swords people. :p

Edit: Chrom would be an Ike clone with a halfway point between Marth and Ike's looks.

On another note, why am I weirdly remembering a post/leak that mentioned Chrom being playable and going into details mentioning how he was wildly acrobatic in design? Does anyone remember what I'm referring to?

Sakurai does whatever he wants. This is the same guy who said he could make Ridley playable if he wanted to but couldn't envision it without Ridley be slow and clunky.

I feel sorry for Matthew Mercer. Wanted Chrom playable but ended up voicing what is basically an Assist Trophy.

zroid

Banned
It sounds like Lucina was always meant to be in the game as a Marth alt or clone, and Sakurai ultimately decided she would be a clone. I don't think Chrom being a Marth clone was ever considered. If Chrom were actually developed, then he'd probably have been a unique character, albeit similar to Marth and Ike.

Ezalc

But Chrom isn't a Marth clone. He's Chrom.

Lucina's entire fighting style is based around being Marth.

Which she learned from her Dad, who happens to be Chrom, which they explicitly stated in the game has the same fighting style as Lucina or rather the other way around since he taught her how to fight.

TWILT

Banned
So, I managed to get my hands on a copy of this week's edition of Sakurai's "Think About the Video Games" column (thanks, Ryce!). Enjoy!
3AQmK.gif
Thanks for this, Masked Man!

Some interesting stuff about Chrom. I thought Sakurai could have done something interesting with Chrom using pair up, but I guess not.

Flowmoney

Why do people hate Roy so much?

Roy had something going for him that made him unique , he is Nintendo's polygamist character.

He wields fire and with his awakening redesign , he would look amazing in smash.

Sure he is considered weak in his game but being in smash makes any character feel like guilty pleasure to have and losing them just sucks , clone or no clone.

Moonlight

Banned
Question of why he decided that Lucina was worth adding when the only difference between her and Marth that is known so far is that you don't need to focus with only hitting with the tip of the sword to get the most damage out of it.
Because Lucina was already 'added' in terms of most of the actual work. She was an alternate for Marth and conceptualized as such at the beginning. I guess you could say that they had a choice between using that or using Chrom's Final Smash model for a 'clone', but even if that were the case, Lucina visually has more unique characteristics than Chrom, and regardless, seems it would be less work anyways.

We're getting pedantic about 'who does Lucina fight like' anyways. She fights like her father in one cutscene of the game. Her actual battle animations are explicitly similar to Marth's and obviously different from her father's. She's supposed to evoke Marth.

Question is why he decided that Lucina was worth adding when the only difference between her and Marth that is known so far is that you don't need to focus with only hitting with the tip of the sword to get the most damage out of it.
Lucina wasn't "added" she was just split from Marth. It's that simple. She already had a model and a voice and everything, all Sakurai did was give her her own slot and differentiate her from Marth a bit.

She wasn't added instead of Chrom, she was added instead of being an alternate costume.

Golnei

Sakurai does whatever he wants. This is the same guy who said he could make Ridley playable if he wanted to but couldn't envision it without Ridley be slow and clunky.

I feel sorry for Matthew Mercer. Wanted Chrom playable but ended up voicing what is basically an Assist Trophy.

tumblr_n8uai3NJDr1ro96tzo1_400.jpg

Not

Banned
I would accuse Sakurai of doing so, actually.

I'm not complaining about her inclusion, i'll probably main as Lucina. I'm drawing the only conclusion I can from that translation. She's a clone, but she's a woman so it's cool.

Uh, they were talking about treating women like a walking pair of boobs, and you actually just confirmed that you see women that way because you basically accused Sakurai of "only seeing boobs" by including a female character.

I don't know if that made sense.

And there's something to be said for flat-chested ladies, is all I'm sayin'

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think a lot of people are trying to mentally attach stuff to the Gematsu leak to see a reason why Chrom was "cut" when everything is pointing to him never even having a chance from the start.

Well, with all of this news about Chrom it makes me wonder where that Gematsu leaker falls in line as far as his or her information is concerned. Sounds like Chrom didn't make it far out of the gate (if at all). Couple that with the "Pokémon from X/Y" listing, and assuming there was any validity to the second batch of characters, it sounds like the info they had was very early on in the process.

Tripon

Which she learned from her Dad, who happens to be Chrom, which they explicitly stated in the game has the same fighting style as Lucina or rather the other way around since he taught her how to fight.

But Sakurai has stated he didn't want Chrom to play like Marth.

Well, even if you read it that way, let's think about this logically: if you're puting a clone in of an existing character, then who's it targeted at?
If they weren't already playing the original for their moveset what aesthetic is likely to appeal to a larger audience that the core character wasn't or couldn't already cater to:
a) a character of the same gender with a slightly different look
b) a genderswap

I'm somewhat inclined to think b. I don't have data to back it up, but it just feels like b is likely to appeal to more people.

For some fun anecodatal stuff: This tuesday I just had 4 marth match in Project M because of the Lucina hype. None of the 4 players (including me :p) normally ever touch marth and none would've touched Chrom either but there we were all playing marth to indulge in a bit of hype for the new female swordswoman.

Jintor

Because she's in Awakening!

Zubz

Banned
Tonight will be Kirby's Lucina and Robin form because screw real information on new characters! (I wonder if Kirby will get different hair style depending on Robin's gender)

Doesn't seem to be the case based on Wii Fit Trainer and Villager from the demo; he still got the Female WFT's ponytail and the default Villager's mop-top regardless of the costume.

Also, I'm thinking we might just get redundant "news" showing how Robin's Dream Team Final Smash works.

Well, with all of this news about Chrom it makes me wonder where that Gematsu leaker falls in line as far as his or her information is concerned. Sounds like Chrom didn't make it far out of the gate (if at all). Couple that with the "Pokémon from X/Y" listing, and assuming there was any validity to the second batch of characters, it sounds like the info they had was very early on in the process.

yeah it could very well have been really early in the planning stages and somewhere in development plans changed

Azure J

I think a lot of people are trying to mentally attach stuff to the Gematsu leak to see a reason why Chrom was "cut" when everything is pointing to him never even having a chance from the start.

Pretty much. Sakurai's thought in that column really make it sound like Chrom was never in the running over Robin. Lucina was just a gift of circumstance if anything.

I'm just glad his reasoning for Chrom doesn't exclude Takamaru, since Takamaru has interesting projectiles in addition to a katana. Let's get one more swordsman in the game! I need my samurai!

Tripon

which makes me think that people saying more clones are possible might end up being dissapointed

Sakurai said he played to the end of Awakening and wanted to include at least one Awakening character. Makes me think he just has affinity for that game, and anybody expecting more from their favorite series are in a for a world of hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom