• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sabroso

I'm clearly not understanding the difference between the two of them.

The way I'm interpreting this is that Lucina will do the same amount of damage that Marth would do with the tip of his sword across the entire length of her blade...and with a smaller hitbox as well. That would make her better.

I think difference will be like Marh and Roy in Melee, same moveset but different properties in all moves

So, I managed to get my hands on a copy of this week's edition of Sakurai's "Think About the Video Games" column (thanks, Ryce!). Enjoy!
3AQmK.gif
Sounds like he started out wanting Chrom, switched to Robin, and then added Lucina as a bonus. Chrom and Roy got buried.

PK Gaming

Marth should do more damage than Lucina when players hit with the tip of the sword.

Lucina should do more damage than Marth when players hit with the other sections of the sword (more length).

So Lucina is better for beginners.

At least that's how I read it.

Not necessarily

Marth can't control his tipper attacks. He's more prone to landing them when he attacks from a range, but if he can't guarantee them, so they can't be relied on. It comes into play when he uses his Forward Smash; the spacing required to land a tipper Forward Smash is pretty tight.

On the other hand, that's something Lucina doesn't have to deal at all, so she won't see lowered damage on her attacks, and her smash attacks will have more knockback on average. Lucina might be more appealing for those who prefer consistency.

This isn't even a question. Lucina ten times out of ten.

Lucina. I was hoping for her anyway, and I actually played her game. Also... she decides her fate.

Lucina! My favorite character from FE:A. Loved her story.

Lucina. Anyday.

Lucina, and I dont even like her.

Lucina with red hair and Roy's mechanics.

Lucina definitely

Lucina with lightning effects.

LANDMASTER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02YSj7A4s4#t=60

Moonlight

Banned
I'm really curious to see what Lucina's actual changes are, to be honest. I know that Sakurai has emphasized that there are only 'slight changes to her properties' (and 'different characteristics' on her weapon? So more than the normalized damage?) but I'd still like to see what those changes are. Especially because I can see invisible stuff like 'lighter weight' or 'less landing lag' or something like that being deemed 'slight' if there's no obvious way of determining a difference.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
So, does that mean he will change the 3 Landmasters this time? please?

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I hope this game delivers on the hype.

I remember being excited for Brawl, and when I finally got my hands on it, I was really disappointed. It had a ton of content, and I mean A TON, it should have been any nintendo faithful's dream, but something about it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I did play Melee competitively, so I suppose my wanting it to replicate what I enjoyed in Melee clouded my judgements. It was just too slow, I suppose.

This game seems to rectify what was wrong with Brawl, at a gameplay standpoint. It may not be Melee, but I can deal with it as long as it's fast paced action and doesn't slow to a crawl like Brawl.

Toxi

Banned

I remember being excited for Brawl, and when I finally got my hands on it, I was really disappointed. It had a ton of content, and I mean A TON, it should have been any nintendo faithful's dream, but something about it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I did play Melee competitively, so I suppose my wanting it to replicate what I enjoyed in Melee clouded my judgements. It was just too slow, I suppose.

This game seems to rectify what was wrong with Brawl, at a gameplay standpoint. It may not be Melee, but I can deal with it as long as it's fast paced action and doesn't slow to a crawl like Brawl.
The proper way to deal with this is to never be excited for anything.

i doubt everyone will be pleased and it most likely wont meet everyones expectations.

I get this, but... Why Lucina then? Is it just because she's a girl or what? (Not complaining, just confused)

i think when he was creating lucina as an alt maybe he thought o hey while she plays very similar to him she could certainly have different properties while still being similar. Thats probably the main reason also i have to ask and i dont mean to start anything

but objectively what would make any other sword user more unique in moveset then say an axe user/spear user/bow user?
i see anna being thrown around as unique but really what would make her stand out more than chrom( im just curious about it nothing more)

Azure J

...I cannot believe that my thought process and Sakurai's lined up for even a milisecond in time looking at that "why no Chrom" line.
inb4Lucina
Go me. :D

Moonlight

Banned
I get this, but... Why Lucina then? Is it just because she's a girl or what? (Not complaining, just confused)
I think people are getting this wrong. Sakurai didn't toss out Chrom for Lucina from the get-go. He tossed out Chrom for Robin, who is obviously way distinct from any other FE character on the roster (or any character on the roster period). They also had the Lucina model made for Marth as a costume, and it sounds like Sakurai just decided that, once Robin was done, in the toss-up between her and Chrom, he made her an actual roster character. Probably because she'd still have more unique characteristics than Chrom if either of them had to be a clone.

If you guys had to decide between Roy or Lucina for Marth's clone in the game, who would you choose?
Lucina, so thank heck that's what we got. She's the first fully 'melee' female character as well (the rest all have some kind of projectile, or multiple) :3

Which character, if brought in as almost an exact clone of princess peach's moveset would be more unique: daisy or toadsworth? :p

Neiteio

So, remember those two rumors that came out last week saying Wario would be revealed by the end of this week? Well, we have two pics left.

I don't expect it to happen at all, but what will your reaction be if it does?
I'd love Wario to be revealed! Anyone who can pull a motorcycle out of their pocket is cool in my book! Plus, I'm sure he'll be hyper-expressive with the new focus on faces. :)

BTW, just watched the new Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire videos you guys did -- that was excellent, and I think the guest was a great addition. Seems like a really nice guy. Those remakes are shaping up nicely.

But back to Smash -- for the end-of-week discussion, please consider reading Masked Man's translation of Sakurai's Famitsu column. I think the GameXplain viewers who don't know about it would find the reasons for Robin and Lucina over Chrom quite interesting. It was, after all, (one of) the biggest surprises of the week. :)

I think people are getting this wrong. Sakurai didn't toss out Chrom for Lucina from the get-go. He tossed out Chrom for Robin, who is obviously way distinct from any other FE character on the roster (or any character on the roster period). They also had the Lucina model made for Marth as a costume, and it sounds like Sakurai just decided that in the toss-up between her and Chrom, it was worth making her an actual roster character.

Oh got it! I guess that's okay. It just feels weird that Chrom isn't playable in some form. But I guess that makes sense - thanks for that!

Lunar15

So, nothing about any cuts.

Unless you count "Sakurai thought about Chrom and then didn't put him in" as a cut, which is ridiculous.

We can safely put the "he had to hit a quota" rumors to rest.

Are you reducing women to a mere body part?

I would accuse Sakurai of doing so, actually.

His reasoning is all kinds of fucked. Chrom would be another swordsman, but Lucina works because....?

I'm not complaining about her inclusion, i'll probably main as Lucina. I'm drawing the only conclusion I can from that translation. She's a clone, but she's a woman so it's cool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It seems to me like he was already going to add Lucina, and was basically going to make another fleshed out FE rep and felt Robin offered a lot more than Chrom.

I would accuse Sakurai of doing so, actually.

His reasoning is all kinds of fucked. Chrom would be another swordsman, but Lucina works because....?

I'm not complaining about her inclusion, i'll probably main as Lucina. I'm drawing the only conclusion I can from that translation. She's a clone, but she's a woman so it's cool.

but nowhere in that translation did he go lucina was picked because she was a woman

(she was originally going to be an alt) his reasoning was that he felt in some way that her mechanics and how her moves worked were different enough to give her a place in the roster

Moonlight

Banned
Actually, if Lucina began life as one of Marth's alts, can we say this is definite proof that we can expect some unique non-texture swap alts?

So, does that mean he will change the 3 Landmasters this time? please?

Thanks for the translation, Masked Man.

So I guess this means Chrom wasn't in development at all?

I'd love Wario to be revealed! Anyone who can pull a motorcycle out of their pocket is cool in my book! Plus, I'm sure he'll be hyper-expressive with the new focus on faces. :)

BTW, just watched the new Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire videos you guys did -- that was excellent, and I think the guest was a great addition. Seems like a really nice guy. Those remakes are shaping up nicely.

But back to Smash -- for the end-of-week discussion, please consider reading Masked Man's translation of Sakurai's Famitsu column. I think the GameXplain viewers who don't know about it would find the reasons for Robin and Lucina over Chrom quite interesting. It was, after all, (one of) the biggest surprises of the week. :)

Thanks. Also his talk about alternate costumes being fine even if they have different voice samples makes me excited for Ms. Pac-Man, Shadow and Proto Man. It sounds like he just wanted to make Roy again with the equal damage across the sword.

I can't see Dixie being an alternate costume because while she now has a gun her hair does equate to a rocket-pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom