• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden77

Why do people hate Roy so much?

Roy had something going for him that made him unique , he is Nintendo's polygamist character.

He wields fire and with his awakening redesign , he would look amazing in smash.

Sure he is considered weak in his game but being in smash makes any character feel like guilty pleasure to have and losing them just sucks , clone or no clone.

He's obsolete in a number of ways. He was damn near so the instant his game came out. We just didn't know it yet because it wasn't even out by the time he was included in Melee, which was also stupid.

I liked playing Roy a lot back when Melee first came out. He played like Marth but looked less like a girl-man and had fire, so I was down with that. And I think it would be cool to have him as an alt or a DLC character just for Smash novelty, but I really don't miss him in the slightest. In a series that is packed to the brim with characters, most which are well done, there are litteraly over 30 better choices for a Fire Emblem rep that fatty Roy.

Sakurai said he played to the end of Awakening and wanted to include at least one Awakening character. Makes me think he just has affinity for that game, and anybody expecting more from their favorite series are in a for a world of hurt.

yeah lol i'm hyped but gotta keep that realism in check hahaha

I don't get why people would be that excited for a clone in the first place. If you're going to get hyped for a potential newcomer, get hyped for a unique one.

i dont really mind one or two clones to be honest since it does leave opportunities for other characters to join which i dont have a problem with but its when a mass number of them are included where i kinda have to go eehhhhhh

i felt brawl was great in that regard because while still having clones (they all felt unqiue in their own right) imo

Got it. Chrom couldn't be a Marth clone because he's Chrom and totally different from Marth. And Chrom couldn't be a separate character because he's too similar to Marth
>_>

I get that when planning the game Chrom was never planned to be a playable character - Robin was always the better choice. But it still feels like he got screwed.

Tripon

Who's ready for tonight's PoTD?

JgpV2T8.png

Ezalc

Because Lucina was already 'added' in terms of most of the actual work. She was an alternate for Marth and conceptualized as such at the beginning. I guess you could say that they had a choice between using that or using Chrom's Final Smash model for a 'clone', but even if that were the case, Lucina visually has more unique characteristics than Chrom, and regardless, seems it would be less work anyways.

We're getting pedantic about 'who does Lucina fight like' anyways. She fights like her father in one cutscene of the game. Her actual battle animations are explicitly similar to Marth's and obviously different from her father's. She's supposed to evoke Marth.

Lucina wasn't "added" she was just split from Marth. It's that simple. She already had a model and a voice and everything, all Sakurai did was give her her own slot and differentiate her from Marth a bit.

She wasn't added instead of Chrom, she was added instead of being an alternate costume.

Then why not leave her as an alt costume? Also I disagree about her being more unique visually, if somebody didn't point it out I'm sure they would just think she's a longer haired Marth, not that Chrom is all that more unique than her in standing apart from Ike or Marth either.

I don't really care for Chrom nor am I complaining about why she was put in instead of him, I just find her upgrade from alt costume to character to be somewhat unnecessary given Sakurai's apparent reasoning. He should have just made both of them alt costumes if that's how he felt about Chrom and Lucina, imo.

diaspora

Got it. Chrom couldn't be a Marth clone because he's Chrom and totally different from Marth. And Chrom couldn't be a separate character because he's too similar to Marth
>_>

I get that when planning the game Chrom was never planned to be a playable character - Robin was always the better choice. But it still feels like he got screwed.

More of a thing where they felt Chrom was too important of a character maybe to attribute as a psudoclone, whereas nobody gives a shit if they make Lucina a Marth for noobs. Though I don't care for Chrom either.

Moonlight

Banned
>_>
This isn't as mutually exclusive as you think. Chrom had to have added something unique from Ike and Marth in order to justify himself as a character because he'd be seen as just another swordsman. That means he couldn't be a clone. Sakurai couldn't think of a way of making him unique, unlike Robin, who's obviously distinct and very much not an actual swordsman.

Lucina's inclusion as a character was an easy addition since they'd done most of the legwork already as she was an alternate for Marth from the beginning.

Then why not leave her as an alt costume? Also I disagree about her being more unique visually, if somebody didn't point it out I'm sure they would just think she's a longer haired Marth, not that Chrom is all that more unique than her in standing apart from Ike or Marth either.

I don't really care for Chrom nor am I complaining about why she was put in instead of him, I just find her upgrade from alt costume to character to be somewhat unnecessary given Sakurai's apparent reasoning. He should have just made both of them alt costumes if that's how he felt about Chrom and Lucina, imo.
The simple answer is that Sakurai has already given his reasoning and that even subtle differences between two characters justifies a roster slot. Besides his explicit reasoning, it's also an easy way to fatten up the character count without adversely affecting anything else as everything about her besides invisible properties was 'done'. That's why Lucina is in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

He seems against the notion of having outright different characters within an alt costume. I know he said it before but I forget where, and I guess the change of heart happened sometime after Lucina was already "in".

>_>
It's not that he's too similar to Marth specifically, it's that he's to similar to Marth AND Ike. Chrom could have been put in as a clone or a unique character, but either way he would still be too similar to the other two blue haired sword lords.

i dont think that version of roy is guaranteed since that was the artists rendition of roy in merc clothing (it doesnt represent roy at all in his games) imo

Has anyone commented that Robin's FS seems exactly like Greninja's unless im missing something.

actually if you look at it a bit more it looks like a mix between greninja's and great aether (chrom's skill of choice is also aether )

Does anybody know what the current best deals on preordering the game are? I'm looking to get both the Wii U and 3DS version of the game.

I remember awhile back target was doing pre order a game for $1 get $15 off another game. Anything like that floating around?

I'm considering getting the game bundle for the Wii U that has the adapter and controller

So something interesting to note. The roster was drafted in 2011 and finalized in March of 2012. Fire Emblem Awakening came out in japan in april 2012. Sakurai said he played FEA and decided for Robin then. But if Robin wasnt decided until after he played the game, theres no way Robin could have been on the early drafts of the roster. This means that Chrom was most likely on it for a good period of time while the roster was created.

Ezalc

I feel like people who want Roy are the ones who haven't played his game or the rest of FE games.

Roy isn't a great FE lord and while yeah he does have fire I don't think Sakurai would even acknowledge it all that much if he were to actually be added. Hell it took him a while it seems to correct Ike's fire to a blue color, and this isn't even including the fact that he doesn't have a long range energy attack like he does in his games due to Ragnell. If we're asking for other lords from any FE can we get somebody like Ephraim, Sigurd/Seliph, or Alm as a Dread Fighter? They'd at least be interesting: Ephraim uses lances, Sigurd and I believe Seliph are on horseback and can use lances as well, while Alm as a dread fighter can use axes, tomes and swords.

The simple answer is that Sakurai has already given his reasoning and that even subtle differences between two characters justifies a roster slot. Besides his explicit reasoning, it's also an easy way to fatten up the character count without adversely affecting anything else as everything about her besides invisible properties was 'done'. That's why Lucina is in.

Seems very shady, this depends on the number of clones that are in but if half the roster are clones then no you don't have 30 characters (number is an example) you have 15.

He seems against the notion of having outright different characters within an alt costume. I know he said it before but I forget where, and I guess the change of heart happened sometime after Lucina was already "in".

I remember this, I just don't like his "solution" to not doing it. It's like he said this, then kind of regretted it when he saw Chrom and Lucina and so made a loophole for it.

PK Gaming

Am I like the only person on the planet who thinks that Roy's Awakening redesign looks kinda dumb?

Nah. I hated that, along with a handful of the redesigns, haha.

Wait a moment please

You realize that Lucina has gameplay differences from Marth, right? As slight as they are, that alone should warrant making her a fully fledged character. In addition, the fact that she's playable allows to have her own set of Taunts, Arcade mode and trophy. Furthermore, Chrom wouldn't work as an alt to Marth due to his completely different fighting style (slower, powerful strikes + aether)

Then why not leave her as an alt costume?
Sakurai already explained why. Unlike the male and female versions of Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, Lucina is actually her own character with her own name and her own personality, so Sakurai thought she'd be better served in her own slot.

So something interesting to note. The roster was drafted in 2011 and finalized in March of 2012. Fire Emblem Awakening came out in japan in april 2012. Sakurai said he played FEA and decided for Robin then. But if Robin wasnt decided until after he played the game, theres no way Robin could have been on the early drafts of the roster. This means that Chrom was most likely on it for a good period of time while the roster was created.
And Lucina was probably added quite a bit later too.

Moonlight

Banned
As much as I like that Lucina is a character, I'm gonna be honest, though, I'll be kinda disappointed if her mechanical properties really are only subtly different from Marth. Like... a Melee Ganondorf to Melee Captain Falcon is kind of the degree of adjustment that I'd be satisfied with. Doesn't have to be much.

I feel like people who want Roy are the ones who haven't played his game or the rest of FE games.

Roy isn't a great FE lord and while yeah he does have fire I don't think Sakurai would even acknowledge it all that much if he were to actually be added. Hell it took him a while it seems to correct Ike's fire to a blue color, and this isn't even including the fact that he doesn't have a long range energy attack like he does in his games due to Ragnell. If we're asking for other lords from any FE can we get somebody like Ephraim, Sigurd/Seliph, or Alm as a Dread Fighter? They'd at least be interesting: Ephraim uses lances, Sigurd and I believe Seliph are on horseback and can use lances as well, while Alm as a dread fighter can use axes, tomes and swords.

i think having characters on horse back seems kinda weird to be honest :/ but i like the sound of the dread fighter being a character :p

jph139

Sigurd is one of my pipe dream characters - just based on his design, honestly. It'd be cool if he showed up as an Assist Trophy or something at least.

8d4sGfQ.png

And people think Marth is bishie...

What makes me really excited about these is these are the poses and the way the Amiibo's of all these characters are going to look, which makes me excited!
and my wallet nervous

That's right! It feels good to know I'll finally have a legit statue of one of my favorite game characters of all time - Little Mac

I noticed that as well. Perhaps Sakurai was considering adding another FE character during the planning stages. However I dont get the sense that he would've considered Chrom prior. Only thing I can think of is much like Pokemon X/Y he was privy to development of the title and maybe even got to play it early.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
i think having characters on horse back seems kinda weird to be honest :/ but i like the sound of the dread fighter being a character :p

Think of the hilarious recovery options. Some straight up Super Mario World Yoshi suicide leaps off the mount to keep the character alive as they fight without it, gimped a bit ala Ice Climbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom