• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.
33 officially announced characters. I wonder what the final number will be. Can't be much more than 33....can it?
33 official
+3 from Gematsu leak (Shulk, Chrom, Chorus Men)
+8 that are undoubtedly returning but haven't been officially announced (G&W, Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Wario)

44 is the minimum roster I think we are looking at. Then you have characters that may or may not return:
Snake
Wolf
Squirtle
Roy
R.O.B.
Mewtwo
Lucas
Young Link
Pichu
Ivysaur
Dr. Mario
Metaknight

Of these, the following have almost no chance of returning as fully-fledged characters:
Squirtle (replaced by Greninja)
Roy (Marth clone; didn't make it into Brawl - might get an alt. costume appearance)
Pichu (just a crappy Pikachu - no one cares about the character)
Dr. Mario (Mario clone - might get an alt. costume)
Young Link (replaced by Toon Link)
Ivysaur (may get replaced by another grass Pokemon from another generation)

That brings the list down to:
Metaknight (almost certain to return; a major character in Brawl both competitively and casually)
Lucas (apparently fighting a battle for his life right now; probably low priority as a clone)
Mewtwo (tons of fan support, and he was intended to return in Brawl)
R.O.B. (the retro surprise characters always stick around, it seems; likely to return)
Wolf (the only Star Fox villain, and we are getting a new Star Fox on the Wii U)
Snake (the only total ??? on here)

The "almost certainly returning" characters have been in at least 2 Smash games, which means they were not one-offs or fads. They are now core parts of the roster, and there is no way they are getting cut.

Looking at the second list of prospects, you have another potential 6 characters that will return, bringing the roster up to a theoretical 50.

TLDR Version:
44 is the minimum roster size right now based on the evidence at hand. 50+ is probable.

A new thread for a new day. Another day, another sleepless night over whether Shulk gets added to the game.

Bonus points if he does, but gets a drastically different voice actor.

Mistle

A new thread for a new day. Another day, another sleepless night over whether Shulk gets added to the game.

Bonus points if he does, but gets a drastically different voice actor.

I'm betting on that leak. Both Shulk and Chorus Men are great additions.

33 official
+8 that are undoubtedly returning but haven't been officially announced (G&W, Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Wario)

44 is the minimum roster I think we are looking at. Then you have characters that may or may not return:
Snake
Wolf
Squirtle
Roy
R.O.B.
Mewtwo
Lucas
Young Link
Pichu
Ivysaur
Dr. Mario
Metaknight

Of these, the following have almost no chance of returning as fully-fledged characters:
Roy (Marth clone; didn't make it into Brawl - might get an alt. costume appearance)

Metaknight (almost certain to return; a major character in Brawl both competitively and casually)
Lucas (apparently fighting a battle for his life right now; probably low priority as a clone)
R.O.B. (the retro surprise characters always stick around, it seems; likely to return)
Wolf (the only Star Fox villain, and we are getting a new Star Fox on the Wii U)

The "almost certainly returning" characters have been in at least 2 Smash games, which means they were not one-offs or fads. They are now core parts of the roster, and there is no way they are getting cut.

Looking at the second list of prospects, you have another potential 6 characters that will return, bringing the roster up to a theoretical 50.

TLDR Version:
44 is the minimum roster size right now based on the evidence at hand. 50+ is probable.

It's pretty much these 47 confirmed between official and the leak (*=newcomer)

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Rosalina*
Pikachu
Charizard
Lucario
Greninja*
Jigglypuff
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Yoshi
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Link
Zelda
Shiek
Toon Link
Ganondorf
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers
Olimar
Rob
Mr Game And Watch
Captain Falcon
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Marth
Ike
Chrom*
Shulk*
Ness
Pit
Palutena*
Wii Fit Trainer*
Little Mac*
Villager*
Chorus Men*
Mii Fighter*
Sonic
Mega Man*
Pacman*

The question remains is there a 48th character and who is it, a newcomer? Mewtwo or Roy returning? Also if there is DLC who, when, and how many different characters will we get

There is the possibility that there are more newcomers we don't know about, but at this point it seems unlikely.

I look forward to seeing Shulk, along with the Chorus Men. I'm wondering if they'll truly be in 3 three, or just one character.

Does that mean Shulk, Chrom, and the Chorus dudes are the only newcomers left?

Most likely, though he never flat out stated these are all the newcomers, odds are they revealed Rosalina before he had a chance to leak her. On the off chance he actually didn't know about her it's possible there are 1-2 more newcomers he doesn't know, but odds are any more newcomers will be dlc.

Spinluck

Didn't Sakurai explicitly say there would be no DLC though?

Unless that was just a trained game dev answer he gave us.

roknin

Gematsu leak is looking all but confirmed anyways. Might as well make your peace with it.

Ah the harsh life of playing fighting games with a huge roster history. With every new release, there's always the scary chance your main won't return.

...he said as he still waits patiently for the return of the Agents Team to KOF and Baiken somehow make it to Xrd. T^T

...ahem.

In any case if that ends up as the final roster, I've no complaints. Still annoyed about Ridley and a little bummed for no female FE rep, but meh, too many characters to play as is, lol.

link4117

Most likely, though he never flat out stated these are all the newcomers, odds are they revealed Rosalina before he had a chance to leak her. On the off chance he actually didn't know about her it's possible there are 1-2 more newcomers he doesn't know, but odds are any more newcomers will be dlc.

Odds are? What odds? The last time I heard about DLC was the 2013 E3 article linked in the first post which states that DLC isn't being planned for right now.

I don't think we should be looking at Meta Knight for a possibility of being cut. First we have the Halberd stage, then we have DeDeDe. You really don't think they'd put DeDeDe in but not Meta Knight?
That's why I wrote "almost certain to return" for him.

....I do =[
Your loss. :p

HE said at the time, there were no plans
Which is developer code-speak for "Yes, but I'm not talking about it now".

Odds are? What odds? The last time I heard about DLC was the 2013 E3 article linked in the first post which states that DLC isn't being planned for right now.

Odds are the leak is real, and odds are those 3 remaining newcomers are the only ones left to be unveiled, if there are any more newcomers they'd have to be DLC at this point. Which means either

1- We're not getting any dlc and therefore not getting any more newcomers then the 3 leaked

2- We're getting dlc and therefore getting more newcomers then the 3 leaked characters

Golnei

Didn't Sakurai explicitly say there would be no DLC though?

Unless that was just a trained game dev answer he gave us.

He said he wasn't thinking about any right now, IIRC. While that could be PR, it's likely he's trying to stuff as much as he can into the base game.

Guys, we're going to have a Radiant Dawn Ike figure in North America.

<3 <3 <3

Unfortunately, the dakimakura amiibo never left the drawing board.

Unfortunately, the dakimakura amiibo never left the drawing board.
The fans will find a way, I'm sure.

Thinking about this more, we'll also have Captain Falcon & Little Mac figures too. (And if we're lucky, the male Wii Fit Trainer.)

And in the non-beef category... Zelda, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Palutena... Would these characters even have a chance normally for any sort of merch in the US, but now we'll have figures of all of them!!!

*dies*

Chuck

Still without luck
Just curious, there are 8 full threads for a game that has yet to be released, and I'd love to know how this is possible. What do you guys talk about? Speculation on every minute detail?

TDLink

33 official

Snake
Wolf
Squirtle
Roy
R.O.B.
Mewtwo
Lucas
Young Link
Pichu
Ivysaur
Dr. Mario
Metaknight

TLDR Version:

Meta Knight should definitely be in the "undoubtedly returning" category. He's a Sakurai character. Sakurai is not going to take him out.

Just curious, there are 8 full threads for a game that has yet to be released, and I'd love to know how this is possible. What do you guys talk about? Speculation on every minute detail?

There is a new picture posted every weeknight at midnight, often revealing new things in the game.

link4117

Odds are the leak is real, and odds are those 3 remaining newcomers are the only ones left to be unveiled, if there are any more newcomers they'd have to be DLC at this point. Which means either

1- We're not getting any dlc and therefore not getting any more newcomers then the 3 leaked

2- We're getting dlc and therefore getting more newcomers then the 3 leaked characters

Given what we know a better and more likely assumption is that there are no more new characters or there are characters no one knows about yet. Given what the article said, odds aren't that any new characters are DLC. Odds are there isn't any DLC at all.

Nitpicking seems to be a good amount of the posts. Like mine is, admittedly.

Meta Knight should definitely be in the "undoubtedly returning" category. He's a Sakurai character. Sakurai is not going to take him out.
Only core roster characters go into "undoubtedly returning". Otherwise we get into arguments about who is more likely than someone else, blahblahblah. For all intents and purposes, folks are welcome to use the list to create their own number. I am conservative when I make these kinds of lists.

Fandangox

At 18:10 in this video, the Nintendo rep kind implied DLC characters are a real possibility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMseKXLk0zA

That was just a regular non-answer, he didn't rule it out, but he didn't say it was there.

Either way that Third Sal Romano information batch said that they were gonna most likely have post-launch DLC, and since the first Sal leak was correct, and the second one seems to be too, there's a possibility then that the third will be true too.

TDLink

Only core roster characters go into "undoubtedly returning". Otherwise we get into arguments about who is more likely than someone else, blahblahblah. For all intents and purposes, folks are welcome to use the list to create their own number. I am conservative when I make these kinds of lists.

I'm not exactly sure how Falco, Ganondorf, or Ice Climbers are more "core" than Meta Knight. Just because they have been around since Melee? It's not an argument of who is more likely to get in or not. Meta Knight is 100% going to be in the game. Sakurai is not going to exclude a personal creation, especially one of this favourites and one he gave special treatment to in the last installment. There is 0 doubt, or at least should be, that he will be included.

Cse

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Screwattack interviewed Ken and KDJ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBHnNTkzygU

Ken - "I want some sort of maneuverability, on the ground and in the air". (basically everyone's issue with the game at this point....movement options and precise control over your character)

KDJ - "The game feels a lot closer to the Brawl engine than the Melee engine. Feels more similar to Brawl. For people who like Brawl, this will appeal to them much more than people who like 64 or Melee."

JediLink

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Screwattack interviewed Ken and KDJ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBHnNTkzygU
Comments section is cancer, as always.

At 18:10 in this video, the Nintendo rep kind implied DLC characters are a real possibility
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMseKXLk0zA
If I have to buy a Ridley figure to get Ridley, I will not even care. It'll go on my desk alongside all my other gaming-related trash memorabilia.

I'm not exactly sure how Falco, Ganondorf, or Ice Climbers are more "core" than Meta Knight. Just because they have been around since Melee? It's not an argument of who is more likely to get in or not. Meta Knight is 100% going to be in the game. Sakurai is not going to exclude a personal creation, especially one of this favourites and one he gave special treatment to in the last installment. There is 0 doubt, or at least should be, that he will be included.
No character that was in the first 2 games didn't make it into the third. Logically, if a character has been in the last 2 games, the same rule should hold.

I also have 0 doubt that Metaknight will return. However, the list is based on an objective standard.

And yes, being in more games is exactly what makes a character part of a cast's core. Nothing else.

From the 4 minutes I played, I didn't like how the dashing worked either. Or lack thereof. Or something.

But I really didn't get to play enough. That said...if its out, big mistake.

TDLink

No character that was in the first 2 games didn't make it into the third. Logically, if a character has been in the last 2 games, the same rule should hold.

I also have 0 doubt that Metaknight will return. However, the list is based on an objective standard.

And yes, being in more games is exactly what makes a character part of a cast's core. Nothing else.

I don't think that it is a guarantee but I agree I doubt any will be cut. I don't think Meta Knight should be excluded just because he has yet to be in two games though. I think he is just as likely, but for a different reason (he's Sakurai's).

Given what we know a better and more likely assumption is that there are no more new characters or there are characters no one knows about yet. Given what the article said, odds aren't that any new characters are DLC. Odds are there isn't any DLC at all..

With Amiibos being a thing that could be used to add characters to the game, the sal leak which states "dlc is being planned", and the only evidence against dlc being a quote from 2013 which just says it's not currently planned really doesn't mean much. For all we know at the time that quote happened the idea of amiibos being used in Smash wasn't even in the cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get dlc characters, but like I'm expecting the roster to be the one I posted above with no more surprises thanks to the leak I'm expecting no dlc (which I want FWIW) so that if we don't get it I won't be disappointed, same if the 47 a lot of us are speculating is the final roster.

I don't think that it is a guarantee but I agree I doubt any will be cut. I don't think Meta Knight should be excluded just because he has yet to be in two games though. I think he is just as likely, but for a different reason (he's Sakurai's).
You are welcome to your opinion, and I agree that he is almost certain to return.

Golnei

I wouldn't be surprised if we get dlc characters, but like I'm expecting the roster to be the one I posted above with no more surprises thanks to the leak I'm expecting no dlc (which I want FWIW) so that if we don't get it I won't be disappointed, same if the 47 a lot of us are speculating is the final roster.

I'm trying to feel the same way, but it's like asphyxiating my hopes and dreams with a pillow. Keeping low expectations for Smash is always such a difficult thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom