• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Squirtle is hard to swallow..

I mean, he's unique, he's already programmed and everything in Brawl, and he's the coolest pokemon EVAR. Just put him in already!

Axass

inklings_for_ssb4_by_elemental_aura-d7m1493.jpg

The inklings would be perfect for Smash, here's hoping they make a DLC character to tie-in with Splatoon's release.

I mean, he's unique, he's already programmed and everything in Brawl, and he's the coolest pokemon EVAR. Just put him in already!

I'm afraid it's not that simple, they'd have to create one more move, a FS, balance him, create icons, trophies and everything to make him fit in with the others. Same with Ivysaur. Though I could see them being DLC as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not to be a spoilt sport, but why do so many people fail to replicate the font style of those splash screens? It's just a simple gradient colour with a white inner shadow and black outline.

I'm afraid it's not that simple, they'd have to create one more move, a FS, balance him, create icons, trophies and everything to make him fit in with the others. Same with Ivysaur. Though I could see them being DLC as well.

That... doesn't sound like a lot of work, honestly. Hydro Pump for Squirtle and Solar Beam for Ivysaur. Done.

Ivysaur is the secret best starter of Gen 1 before he turns into a fat warty mess.

Oswen

Losing the entire concept of the Pokemon trainer character was bad for me, i liked the idea behind it.
Can't really see Squirtle and Ivysaur returning though, they don't have access to mega evolution and many other things which easily make Charizard stand on its own.

NotLiquid

You know a character is a perfect addition when the trailer for them would probably include Sunshine and Blooper references.

Mario returns to clean-up duty.

Axass

That... doesn't sound like a lot of work, honestly. Hydro Pump for Squirtle and Solar Beam for Ivysaur. Done.

Ivysaur is the secret best starter of Gen 1 before he turns into a fat warty mess.

It's a lot of work if you consider they already have to keep up with 40+ characters on two different systems. I doubt Squirtle and Ivysaur are priorities.

Losing the entire concept of the Pokemon trainer character was bad for me, i liked the idea behind it.
Can't really see Squirtle and Ivysaur returning though, they don't have access to mega evolution and many other things which easily make Charizard stand on its own.

Since when did Smash just cater to what is popular with fanboy favourite Charizard though :( Ivysaur was unique in that he had an excellently ranged moveset and he was the only Smash character on four legs! (Well, all the time, Pikachu switches)

It's a lot of work if you consider they already have to keep up with 40+ characters on two different systems. I doubt Squirtle and Ivysaur are priorities.

Baaah. I mean, surely Ivysaur is more well-known than Paleutena if we're going on popularity. I honestly wouldn't care if they just lifted everything from Brawl.

udivision

Baaah. I mean, surely Ivysaur is more well-known than Paleutena if we're going on popularity. I honestly wouldn't care if they just lifted everything from Brawl.

Whenever a new version of a fighting game is released and a character with a completely unique playstyle or moveset is removed.... it's the lamest thing.

Axass

Same here, I just doubt Sakurai thinks that way, besides popularity isn't the selling point of all the Smash characters, Ice Climbers, MrG&W, ROB and others wouldn't be in otherwise.

ionitron

Agfh me, me so much. It was a clever way of implementing what Pokemon was /really/ about, I guess.

I was talking about this with my friend yesterday because we were debating whether Mew Two had a chance of coming back, or would Jigglypuff's legacy remain supreme. And then someone joined our conversation and said "Why not both?" and I blew a mini gasket because 6 pokemon reps is too much for me. But then, of course, my friend argued that Pokemon Trainer was three separate characters meaning there were 6 in brawl anyway. I kind of don't see it that way because I do love the concept of a unified mini-team, but, whatever, he did have a point @_@

But no way is Pokemon getting 6 reps this time around. Nope.

Same here, I just doubt Sakurai thinks that way, besides popularity isn't the selling point of all the Smash characters, Ice Climbers, MrG&W, ROB and others wouldn't be in otherwise.

True enough, but on the flipside it's why I love the series so much, and why effectively any character has a chance. But seriously, if I can't go in for a Razor Leaf/Vine-Whip/Bullet Seed combo, SSB4 will be all the less special for me.

Axass

Agfh me, me so much. It was a clever way of implementing what Pokemon was /really/ about, I guess.

I was talking about this with my friend yesterday because we were debating whether Mew Two had a chance of coming back, or would Jigglypuff's legacy remain supreme. And then someone joined our conversation and said "Why not both?" and I blew a mini gasket because 6 pokemon reps is too much for me. But then, of course, my friend argued that Pokemon Trainer was three separate characters meaning there were 6 in brawl anyway. I kind of don't see it that way because I do love the concept of a unified mini-team, but, whatever, he did have a point @_@

But no way is Pokemon getting 6 reps this time around. Nope.

Sakurai always considered the Pokémon three different characters, there's a quote about it somewhere. Jigglypuff ia a shoe-in, Mewtwo is very likely, IMO.

So is there any place to read all the character impressions for both versions? I was too busy after E3 to really check up on the last thread, plus it was going way too fast for me.

JediLink

And people were complaining that Marth was debuffed in Smash 4.
(The more common term is "nerfed", btw)

Based on what we've seen, Marth look to be nowhere near as good as he was in Melee or Brawl. His grabs lead to nothing, and his aerial game is much weaker.

DaBoss

And people were complaining that Marth was debuffed in Smash 4.
There are still nerfs, but we don't know how Marth will play overall at all.

Based on what we've seen, Marth look to be nowhere near as good as he was in Melee or Brawl. His grabs lead to nothing, and his aerial game is much weaker.
He is no where as good in Smash 4 if you try to play him like Brawl or Melee. You can't just expect one to master him in a few hours of Smash 4. It's clear he has a different style now.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ahh Thread 9! The new thread smell is always refreshing!

So VGBC uploaded some 1v1s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj1J3QuIftjOq9iv_rr7Egw/videos

And discovered Marth's counter can kill kill Mega Man at 55% doing 35% damage. The thing he countered was Mega Man throwing a barrel. So crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ckQpLAsX3s

Yeah that's ridiculous O_O

That's probably going to get a ZSS nerf by release.

This might be strange, but I get this impression that Sakurai and Co. are trying to make Marth more of a ground character lol.

Blues1990

I just want to say, that I was worried that Mega Man would have been horrible to play as, and he would have been left behind in the dust. But I was super happy that he was not only rock-solid, but he could go toe-to-toe with some of the greats. The match that I had, with a pair of Bowser's and a Rosalina player, I was able to obliterate them.

I wished October 3rd would come sooner. :(

Jintor

Gradually catching up on Treehouse footage - does Megaman have a different theme going when he grabs the hammer?

-Horizon-

New thread already?? I'm shouldn't be surprised since its right after the Digital Event, the tourney, and the demo but still.

ionitron

Sakurai always considered the Pokémon three different characters, there's a quote about it somewhere. Jigglypuff ia a shoe-in, Mewtwo is very likely, IMO.

Really? Huh. Again, I think its, well, fair to say that given they have different move sets.

I just find it hard to believe that 6 individual Pokemon could make it in this game, more reps than Mario? I dunno, man. But you never know with Sakurai I guess. If Jigglypuff was guaranteed I doubt Mew Two'd be back, but I'm sure this has been discussed at least a couple times before.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There are still nerfs.
He is no where good in Smash 4 if you try to play him like Brawl or Melee. You can't just expect one to master him in a few hours of Smash 4. It's clear he has a different style now.
Yeah. I wonder if people remember how they played Melee when they first got it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If the top 15 is considered the wall of shame does that make me King of the Winners? (16th position).

Axass

Really? Huh. Again, I think its, well, fair to say that given they have different move sets.

I just find it hard to believe that 6 individual Pokemon could make it in this game, more reps than Mario? I dunno, man. But you never know with Sakurai I guess. If Jigglypuff was guaranteed I doubt Mew Two'd be back, but I'm sure this has been discussed at least a couple times before.

More like a hundred. :p

It's not really weird to think that Pokémon may have more reps than Mario: in first place Pokémon is a huge franchise, dunno about combined sales, but it's probably sold more than the Mario series as of now, if not they're close, also Pokémon's choices for possible characters completely nerf that of the Mario series (700+ Pokémon to choose from).

ec0ec0

This might be strange, but I get this impression that Sakurai and Co. are trying to make Marth more of a ground character lol.

smash is not a game thats played "on the ground" like other games, and should not be. I think. And "ground based" marth on a game with really limited movemed options on the ground doesnt sound great to me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom