• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nx7ZVwv.gif

Look at that bastard smiling. He's happy that he got a spot in Smash 4 and laughing at Snake's bad luck. :p

Neiteio

I said it before, I'll say it again:

--- Pic of the Day ---

"Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The guests have all arrived!"

Following his reveal during the launch trailer for the 3DS version in September. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

It just seems too perfect.

But I can see it going either way.

Loxley

Sigh. I'm in the market for a 3DS, but I just know that Nintendo is going release a bundle for SSB - likely with a fancy SSB special edition of the 3DS XL. Problem is I don't want to wait that long to pick one up. Bah.

Durden77

Ah whatever. I've talked in circles about this for months. It doesn't help that I've got the uphill battle. Always hearing "Snake is cut" type shit at every turn, when there are plenty more reasons to think that he's not. It's exhausting.

So yeah. There's nothing really more to discuss anyway. It's all really just up to Sakurai and what he wants to do, nothing else. Maybe Sutherland, but I have to imagine he'd find away around that if he wants him back. Not knowing just sucks

I'm going to move on. Pac-man looks like a ton of fun, but he can suck my bawlz if he's laughing at Snake. I was very happy to see how much his moveset rocks. So cool to see all the clever Namco representation. Mappy trampolines for life.

Loci

I skipped Brawl and am going to buy the new Smash for WiiU.

Is there anything that has changed I should know about?

Durden77

--- Pic of the Day ---

Following his reveal during the launch trailer for the 3DS version in September. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

I see it. It.....it looks so beautiful....

SaikyoBro

Unlike actual Nintendo characters, cutting a third party character from the game is cutting the entire franchise from the game, there's no reason to keep fans waiting when they'll get absolutely nothing at the end of the day.

say that to the people convincing themselves ridley will still be playable

say that to the people convincing themselves ridley will still be playable
Ridley can't be cut if he was never a character in the first place, also even if a first party character gets cut, there are still plenty of other things to represent the franchise the character is from. It's not the same with third parties. When Sonic gets cut the Sonic franchise as whole gets cut, that's a lot to lose, and it would serve Nintendo better to announce that early.

Pacman is so awesome just because he represents atleast 6 different franchises in one character so far.

He's basically an "arcade" rep rather than a "pacman" rep and that's just great.

I really want to know what the xevious and dig dug things do.

The most hype thing about Pac-Man for me was the fact that Pac-Mania music is confirmed. I grew up and played a LOT of Pac-Mania back in the day, it was one of my most favorite games to play on my Amiga.

And, actually, let's see if we can nail down all of Pac-Man's stuff.
We know he's got stuff from:
Pac-Man (several games of the series)
Galaga
Xevious
Dig Dug
Mappy
Galaxian
and potentially Rally-X (we don't really know what the flag does and if Pac-Man has access to it outside of items)

Anything I missed?

JoeInky

--- Pic of the Day ---

"Bomberman, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. The guests have all arrived!"

Fixed

The most hype thing about Pac-Man for me was the fact that Pac-Mania music is confirmed. I grew up and played a LOT of Pac-Mania back in the day, it was one of my most favorite games to play on my Amiga.

And, actually, let's see if we can nail down all of Pac-Man's stuff.
We know he's got stuff from:
Pac-Man (several games of the series)
Galaga
Xevious
Dig Dug
Mappy
Galaxian
and potentially Rally-X (we don't really know what the flag does and if Pac-Man has access to it outside of items)

Anything I missed?

That's about it so far without even knowing anything about the customisations.

Rally-X SFlag is potentially an Arcade assist trophy item.

Man do I love Rally-X, I think I'm going to go play it.

SaikyoBro

Ridley can't be cut if he was never a character in the first place, also even if a first party character gets cut, there are still plenty of other things to represent the franchise the character is from. It's not the same with third parties. When Sonic gets cut the Sonic franchise as whole gets cut, that's a lot to lose, and it would serve Nintendo better to announce that early.

More a joke than anything but I still don't really think they have an obligation to say what series will or will not be involved in the new game, third-party or not. You could say they're dragging MGS fans along I guess, but traditionally Nintendo and Sakurai are very tight-lipped about the SSB roster until they're ready to show something official (compared to something like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where they would casually deconfirm characters in random interviews). We won't know if Snake's in or not until Sakurai is ready to tell us if he is or not.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FOX TO BLOODSHED

Durden77

Unlike actual Nintendo characters, cutting a third party character from the game is cutting the entire franchise from the game, there's no reason to keep fans waiting when they'll get absolutely nothing in the end.

I see your point with them wanting to announce that early, but I also think that could definitely go either way. In the same vein, they might want to avoid possible commotion of the news of him being cut as well. I imagine Twitter would be filled much more with "WHEREZ SNAKE?!" post than it is now if they announced that early on.

That's one thing that I think would truly be a bummer if we lost Snake, we'd lose an entire franchise. Never in the history of Smash can I recall that happening. I think everyone could agree that would be a bummer.

Hahaha SaikyoBro.....ohhhh SaikyoBro....I know you...

JoeInky

The year is 20XX.Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FOX TO BLOODSHED

perfection.gif

Now I want to see a TAS of 24 foxes using only multishines

Anything in particular you're curious about? Since Melee, we now have third-party characters, Final Smashes, and Amiibo connectivity.

JoeInky

Depends on the level at which you played melee honestly.

Expect a lower skill ceiling and less fluidity but more general content.

-Horizon-

--- Pic of the Day ---

I can see it now.

Loci

Anything in particular you're curious about? Since Melee, we now have third-party characters, Final Smashes, and Amiibo connectivity.

I just skipped through the OP and found the no tripping article, so I was wondering if there were any other changes which directly influence the gameplay.

Also, I'm mostly curious about online stability. Could you play Brawl seriously online? Considering how accurately you have to do some moves, it seems kinda unlikely for me that Smash would work with lag/spikes.

I just skipped through the OP and found the no tripping article, so I was wondering if there were any other changes witch directly influence the gameplay.

Also, I'm mostly curious about online stability. Could you play Brawl seriously online? Considering how accurately you have to do some moves, it seems kinda unlikely for me that Smash would work with lag/spikes.

I'm sure other folks around here can give better answers on the gameplay changes, so I'll skip straight to the online.

This is coming from personal experience, but I found most of the complaints regarding Brawl's Wi-Fi stability to be hyperbole (the real problem was its barebones approach, as seen in With Anyone). It was generally pretty stable for the six years I played it barring the launch period and I'm sure it'll be the same here. The Smash Direct from a few months back also has a whole section dedicated to the games' online, so I'd recommend checking that out.

Also, I'm mostly curious about online stability. Could you play Brawl seriously online?

Brawl's online was basically completely broken and unplayable. I once had a match where I had a full second of input lag.

The good news is, Smash 4's online couldn't possibly be any worse. The hope is that 7 years and the partnership with Namco will result in an actually decent online experience this time around.

I just skipped through the OP and found the no tripping article, so I was wondering if there were any other changes which directly influence the gameplay.

Aside from speed/physics in general, the gameplay has remained largely the same. Stages have become a bit more gimmicky with things like rewards for obtaining certain goals, and if you play with those, there's items that summon characters similarly to Pokeballs, though those have actual AIs (they're called Assist Trophies).
Brawl had Tripping, Smash 4 doesn't, so that's virtually a non-issue.
There's also of course more in-depth mechanics; wavedashing for instance is gone from Brawl and Smash 4 (at least in the demo).

I agree with MrSaturn about his opinion that people exaggerate those online Brawl horror stories way too much. It wasn't great, for certain, but it worked decently, even with players overseas, and stable enough to be playable, even if it was laggy. It of course depends on how you define "seriously" - certain competitive advanced techniques are too timing based to work online.

Since Nintendo is focusing more on online play and Namco (who generally make solid netcodes for their fighters) is involved in the development of the game, I wouldn't worry too much about Smash 4's online mode. I'm pretty sure it will be serviceable to good.

Durden77

I want Splatoon more than I'd care to admit. That game looks rad.

Hope it catches on. Nintendo has a hard time pushing new IPs sometimes, but I love when they go for it. I hope they include some things from other Nintendo series as extras in it. Not just because it would be cool, but because it might create more interest.

Dr. Buni

I'm sure other folks around here can give better answers on the gameplay changes, so I'll skip straight to the online.

This is coming from personal experience, but I found most of the complaints regarding Brawl's Wi-Fi stability to be hyperbole (the real problem was its barebones approach, as seen in With Anyone). It was generally pretty stable for the six years I played it barring the launch period and I'm sure it'll be the same here. The Smash Direct from a few months back also has a whole section dedicated to the games' online, so I'd recommend checking that out.
Most of the complaints regarding Brawl in general are hyperbole, not only in regards of the online :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom