• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SURPRISE! Black Ops III announced for PS3/360, no Wii U version planned

"But uh...be prepared for your versions to absolutely suck."

Just make the leap already. It's a big enough IP to force player's hands.

...how exactly would Activision benefit from "forcing peoples hands"?
Its not their job to make buying a PS4 or an Xbox One an attractive value proposition, and they won't reap any reward for doing so.

Who cares? Treyarch isn't doing the last gen versions. I doubt very much that their vision of the game had to be compromised to make it easier for other devs to port over.

ironcreed

Banned
This sounded like it might be kind of exciting at first, but I just have no interest in this series anymore. Hell, I have barely even spent enough time with Advanced Warfare. And with the likes of Halo 5 and Battlefront coming this year, I think I am covered on shooters.

bombshell

I wonder if they'll have they'll even have the full feature set this year.

There's feature differences:

While the teams are working to deliver the best possible experience for Xbox 360 and PS3, naturally there will be some differences across generations. For instance, the campaign mode on Xbox 360 and PS3 is currently in development with a goal of enabling two-player cooperative play, instead of the four-player cooperative campaign on next-gen. There will also be some other features and functionality built specifically for the new generation of consoles that cannot be supported on Xbox 360 and PS3. We'll be sharing more information regarding feature differences from one console generation to another later this year as launch on November 6 approaches.

While I don't have an issue with the existence of Call of Duty, I do think it's sad how many talented studios have been sacrificed to work on one IP.

Yeah Activision's pissing about with Beenox and High Moon and a load of other studios is total arse.

Still, the games are never bad. Sure Ghosts was a bit shit and people seem divided on AW, but they are still competent shooters at the very least.

I'm sure you buy assassins creed every year too. I just don't support studios with bad practices. This industry is going down the shitter if we continue to support

So I have to only buy indie games for my opinion on games to have any merit? Give me a fucking break.

Yes, yes it is. Also Madden games too.

"I don't like these games therefore cancel them, fuck all the fans"

rhandino

Banned
Oh.

WwjSpNH.gif

EDarkness

That's a bummer. Not too surprising, but I wonder why they let people link their NNID? Doesn't make any sense because there's no point to it at all.

For someone who is sticking with PS3, like me, I'm very happy to hear this game is coming to last-gen systems. More money for Activision.

munroe

So it's not designed for the full power of the new consoles. At least if the level size and overall structure is determined by what the old consoles are capable of pulling off.

I don't get that from the OP at all. Treyarch will work on the current gen consoles whereas Beenox and mercenary will work on last gen.

Nice news for me.

As for people saying this game is crippled by cross gen, look at the Wii ports of the CoD games. They made tons of sacrifices - none of which affected the 360/PS3/PC editions.

Ooh, how shocking.

I actually couldn't care less about the CoD franchise, but remember how last time there was no Wii U version announced initially and then it came anyway and it sold horribly once again?

I don't get that from the OP at all. Treyarch will work on the current gen consoles whereas Beenox and mercenary will work on last gen.

I doubt they're going to make completely different campaigns/ maps for the current and past gen versions though. So regardless of who is developing the version it'll be probably held back to level design that can be achieved on ps3/360.

Not saying it still couldn't turn out well, but it definitely limits it at least a little.

Haha wow, they actually legit said theres no Wii U version planned. I dont think anyones every said something so blatant like that in a PR.

I lost my wife and kids to COD.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Okay, respects paid, moving on.

Molemitts

Don't know why anyone would be upset or surprised about this. It's very likely they have different teams working on the different versions. It's not like COD really takes advantage of the hardware of current gen consoles in any unique way, so they're not gonna be held back. Activition obviously aren't going to leave behind a huge amount of their customer base who don't yet own a PS4/XBO.

Rival

Gold Member
I hate call of duty....but only because I've never been any good at it. I always have fun with the single player campaign though. Not surprised they would have last gen versions.

shanafan

Better to just shut that down before people start asking for it.

I am glad Activision said this. It took till at least October for Sledgehammer Games to say that they had no hands in Advanced Warfare Wii U development.. but that still was a cloudy answer.

I wish there was a Wii U version, but good on Activision for coming clean in June.

BriGuy

Why?

Is the world somehow damaged by the existence of Call of Duty?
Actually, that's a really interesting rhetorical question. I'm sure you could hear some persuasive arguments either way.

This thread reminded me that despite owning Call of Kevin Spacey, I have yet to actually play it. Oops.

Lol fully expected.

They'd be silly to ignore those players, I think this will be the last one on PS360 though.

nah they will make a legacy edition of sorts for ps360 like the call of duty's the Wii had years back, same game by name but not by anything else.

A shame Wii U would've been 2nd best easily just because of Wii remote support.

I might buy it if they can provide a PC version with thought and effort and standard PC features.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
nah they will make a legacy edition of sorts for ps360 like the call of duty's the Wii had years back, same game by name but not by anything else.

Huh? Wii got the full games, scaled waaaaay back in graphical settings and lacking some functions, but the maps and general structure was the same.

Top Bottom