• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SURPRISE! Black Ops III announced for PS3/360, no Wii U version planned

SerTapTap

Are some people really pretending they expected the series to return to Wii u after advanced warfare skipped it?

nah they will make a legacy edition of sorts for ps360 like the call of duty's the Wii had years back, same game by name but not by anything else.
Legacy edition works in sports games, I can't see how they'd do it in a shooter though.

MilesTeg

Banned
Honestly don't see the point of announcing this now. Would have been smarter to announce this in like September since they already waited. Should have let BO3 appear as next gen only til the last second. I doubt there are many PS3/360 users that will be pre-ordering this.

That being said, I'm actually happy about this if Activision gives us the free upgrade to PS4 thing again if you go digital. Still have two PS3s that can be used for game sharing. I can buy it on PS3 and essentially get 3 versions of the game (4 if I end up game sharing on PS4 at some point).

Not surprised by the no Wii U version. Not like i care anyway.

I was hyped at first with Black Ops 3 but i'm not sure anymore. Kinda tired of shooters, i need different genres to play. Funny, because i recently bought a Wii U and i'm playing the thing everyday for at least 2 hours a day. 3D World and Kart are like crack !

There's like a lot of shooters coming this fall too, Battlefront, Halo 5 and Gears Remaster are already enough as it is.

shanafan

Are some people really pretending they expected the series to return to Wii u after advanced warfare skipped it?

Maybe. Treyarch has ported every year's COD to the Wii and Wii U until last year. With Treyarch at the helm this year, it was a possibility.

Neo Member
Money has to be made in the end of the day no surprise, I'm very interested in the differences between versions because two player co-op sounds lame

Effect

No one should be surprised or even be upset by the lack of a Wii U version. What is annoying is them waiting so damn long to say it wasn't coming after being asked point blank about it. This isn't some recent development. They knew all along a Wii U version wasn't being worked on. Yet they purposefully strung people along.

Many said it would be nice if it was released but not to expect it. I remember saying the same thing. I expected the other shoe to drop on this front. I also remember saying people should be focusing their attention and money on games that do come out on the Wii U if you have the system and it's your primary. Want that shooter action then hope Devil's Third will be good and pick that up. Pick up Splatoon. Hope that Star Fox has a good online setup. Don't go begging and hoping for games that clearly won't be released on the system and weren't going to be.

Storm360

Called it when the screens were shown. The game is not a patch on AW graphically.

AW was cross gen too, not sure what you mean?

Yay thanks for holding back new gen.

I'm sure this completely outsourced port that Treyarch have nothing to do with is really holding everything back, just like all the CoDs last gen were held back with the Wii Version. /s

I don't see why anyone expected this game to be anything but cross gen

ptuck874

wonder if they will give away the ps3 copy like last year when buying ps4 copy, good game to put on ps3 for daughter to play for free :) she loves her zombies :)

sonto340

AW was cross gen too, not sure what you mean?

I'm sure this completely outsourced port that Treyarch have nothing to do with is really holding everything back, just like all the CoDs last gen were held back with the Wii Version. /s

I don't see why anyone expected this game to be anything but cross gen
So many people would buy an Xbox One or PS4 No questions asked just to play their call of duty. The increased adoption would lead other developers to just develop on current gen.

That's the theory at least.

Astral Dog

It was possible, the developer worked on a lot of Nintendo versions and did a good job, they got a small but dedicated player userbase.

That said,, people should remember to not be hopeful with third parties on Wii U, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Storm360

So many people would buy an Xbox One or PS4 No questions asked just to play their call of duty. The increased adoption would lead other developers to just develop on current gen.

I imagine it would be a case of they'd just skip CoD

The design of these games is virtually unchanged from 2007 or so, so no reason not to put out a 360/ps3 version that basically uses low quality models and shaders from the PC version. It helps with scalability and sales of the PC version as well.

Makes business sense.

If not CoD, all the EA games will do it this year :) Especially NfS and Battlefront.

Hopefully this is the last one or they start doing what they did with the PS2 and make a shovelware game named after the bigger brand (COD World at War: Final Fronts).

Eventually the cost to benefit ratio of having the online up for the last gen is going to go negative.

I wonder what Highmoon is doing if they are not working on the last gen versions of this. I guess they're probably working with Infinity Ward.

Piggus

It was possible, the developer worked on a lot of Nintendo versions and did a good job, they got a small but dedicated player userbase.

That said,, people should remember to not be too hopeful with third parties on Wii U, that ship sailed a long time ago.

There's the word a publisher doesn't want to hear when it comes to potential sales. I think it's pretty clear that the potential player base is so small on Wii U that the just isn't worth the cost of development and marketing for a Wii U port.

Your second point highlights the sad state of affairs with Nintendo and Nintendo fans. A company needs third parties to survive, but the Nintendo fan base has reached a point where they no longer care about third parties at all. It's a vicious cycle.

Who

Banned
That's a shame. The WiiU version of Black Ops II was the best experience i had with the series. Being able to play it at anytime while someone was watching a movie or something was ace.

digdug2k

Its kinda ironic that, with the exception of these games (and Madden? and I admit that's a huge huge HUGE exception), the WiiU with its awful online infrastructure, has probably the best multi-player setup going right now. i.e. Splatoon, SSB4, and MK8 are all killer.

I don't get that from the OP at all. Treyarch will work on the current gen consoles whereas Beenox and mercenary will work on last gen.

That could totally happen, but it hasn't happened yet so I would just be surprised if it did. But if they do go with that strategy, then good on Activision.

Mr Swine

Banned
Why are people acting surprised? There are way too many 360 players to abandon the console.

Haven't sales for the last gen consoles fallen down a cliff? Both software and hardware aren't selling that well or is COD still a franchise where it sells best on last Gen?

Discomurf

Bummer. So unless a Metroid comes to Wii U there probably wont ever be another FPS with IR controls ever again. :(

Chabbles

Well its not like a last gen version would be holding the games design back, its not like cod ever tries to push the boundaries technically.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Also, it should be noted that there's no version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 for Nintendo Wii U planned.

In retaliation, I shall buy the new Guitar Hero game used.

I mean throwing that in their press release is some shade

Hip Hop

Weren't there people who thought treyarch would support wiiu? So much for that.

Yeah, I mean. It looked like it was gonna happen.

They even went back at one point to bring Nuketown for the Wii U in Black Ops 2. It seemed like it.

Also, it should be noted that there's no version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 for Nintendo Wii U planned.

In retaliation, I shall buy the new Guitar Hero game used.

I mean throwing that in their press release is some shade

It's really not. This is a much better way to go about this instead of hanging the community over until the last minute and say it's not coming. Much better than how they've gone about it in the past.

This should really not be personal, it's all business.

Falchion

Glad they're still supporting last gen consoles with this. I know a ton of people who don't have the new systems yet but still want their FIFA + COD.

Reset

Someone one should find/post the image where it showed that only about 300 people were playing Black Ops II online on the WiiU on its launch date. lol

Top Bottom