• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swery confirms D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die coming to PC #ThanksObama

Yes? And it obviously wasn't enough to keep it on one platform.

Saying a game is being held hostage on the platform made by the company that funded and published the game is a ridiculous statement. It's great that it's being released on PC but if it weren't for MS, this game would not exist, period. Your statement really isn't all that different from those made by people saying Bayonetta 2 is being held hostage on Wii U.

Fuchsdh

Will probably buy. The stamina system looked really annoying though.

In practice I never ran out of stamina, and I never died either (I bought an extra life early on and never used it.)

If you're running low you can usually pop back to your apartment and gorge yourself on food or take an extra case to replenish. But as long as you're thorough in investigating you won't have to do that often.

Will probably buy. The stamina system looked really annoying though.

It's very easy to manage, to the point where I wonder why they included it to begin with. Even investigating everything I could find, there was always random food laying around or ready to be bought with in game money.

Plus, you can always exit, go back to your apartment, refill everything, and return.

hiex_

Banned
I'm really happy to hear this, especially after Silent Hills apparently going up in smoke.

Deadly Premonition is fantastic, can't wait to see this.

Obama gathered the chaos emeralds to summon harry potter
307155.jpg

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Saying a game is being held hostage on the platform made by the company that funded and published the game is a ridiculous statement. It's great that it's being released on PC but if it weren't for MS, this game would not exist, period. Your statement really isn't all that different from those made by people saying Bayonetta 2 is being held hostage on Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 had nowhere to go. D4 could have gone to PC immediately. How is that the same? I understand the reason why they held it on the Xbox One, I just don't agree with the decision. They wanted it to be an incentive to buy the system, but it was hardly a system seller to begin with. It was held back from exposure it could have gotten from the start, how is that not being held prisoner? Just because you're born in captivity doesn't mean you're not a prisoner. Luckily, this is being remedied now. Hopefully it will be enough to finish the game.

Bayonetta 2 had nowhere to go. D4 could have gone to PC immediately. How is that the same? I understand the reason why they held it on the Xbox One, I just don't agree with the decision. They wanted it to be an incentive to buy the system, but it was hardly a system seller to begin with. It was held back from exposure it could have gotten from the start, how is that not being held prisoner? Just because you're born in captivity doesn't mean you're not a prisoner. Luckily, this is being remedied now. Hopefully it will be enough to finish the game.

Microsoft funded it, it existed because of them, heaven forbid their put it only on their platforms...

Given the game was originally due out early in 2014 and then was delayed until September and Iron Galaxy helped with development I dont think development was exactly a smooth ride either.

Nothing was "held hostage", Access went to Microsoft, Microsoft funded it and put it on their platforms, now are letting it go on PC.

Most games by themselves aren't system sellers. It's the library as a whole that matters.

I'm glad the game is going to be played by more people but it's really not even remotely hard to understand why MS would release this exclusively on XB1 at the start, considering it came out very, very close to the launch of their new platform (during its first year).

Ploid 3.0

It's not in the OP and google doesn't help on quick searching, but what is the Obama + D4 relation? is Obama referenced in D4?

KainXVIII

We did it!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/28/8507891/D4-Swery-Xbox-One-PC-Steam-Windows-Access-Games

Swery says the final decision was made after he received a flood of support and requests for a PC version on Twitter and Facebook. He also mentions bringing a test PC version to PAX East this year.

"There were a lot of people who actually played the PC version at PAX and said, 'Please bring D4 out on the PC,'" Swery said. "I think seeing that is what brought me to my decision. I have no choice but to make a PC version now!"

(pc is a microsoft platform and one they're "committed to", as they keep trying to remind people. wonder why people are skeptical?)

Swery wanted to make a Kinect game and Xbox One obviously/is was their focus, given how long it took them to get the Xbox One version out compared to when it was originally due, its not surprising any PC version took a backseat and as I said, Swery wanted to make a Kinect game.

Be happy its coming to PC now and MS let it happen rather than whining about what if scenarios (not referring to you Stump when I say whining). MS have released plenty of other games on PC recently to show an increased support and they will only do more going forwards, one game that was announced at E3 2013 and then delayed for 6+ months, not to mention never announced for PC in the first place doesnt mean it was "held hostage"

Access finished the Xbox One version, people said they wanted it and now they're getting it... not really a rocket science scenario.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
This is wonderful. This was the X1 exclusive I was the most interested in so far, so I'll be able to hold off buying the console for a little longer! (I think Scalebound will break me however)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah that's what I meant really.

Even discounting steam the game will probably get more exposure on GOG rather than the microsoft app store.

I want to get excited but I still can't play DP even though I pre-ordered it with tons of hype. I know that this will undoubtedly have a better port, but I'm still sad.

Venfayth

It's not in the OP and google doesn't help on quick searching, but what is the Obama + D4 relation? is Obama referenced in D4?

Sorry. I was just being lazy. It's a lot of work to leapfrog over the second post all the way to the third post to find the explanation, but a few people complained so I went ahead and did the work. It's in the OP now.

edit: Sorry for the snark, if you're asking why Swery uses #ThanksObama - I have no idea. He's just a goofy motherfucker.

thank mr omaha

What news! I hope the port's as good as I've heard from PAX impressions. And Swery would be wise to consider PC releases from now on. It's worked for DP, and now probably this. Doesn't mean they have to be platform-exclusive on either console or PC, for that matter.

Top Bottom