• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

Aside from the butterfly loop, her movements and setups can take time to learn. The more you play with her, the more you learn when and how to punish. It all won't come initially even if you've memorized all her combos. There's a point with each character where you can feel like you know what to do. It's sort of like a natural thing that develops as you play. Nina takes much longer to achieve that imo.

i dont have a problem investing the time to learn something. i have no problems with tk her butterfly consistently. i guess it's easier for me to do since i play on stick. my goal for now is to learn to play. hopefully new york does get the international arcade release so i can keep practicing till console version.

AAK

Does Tekken Hybrid support OS-level screenshots like Tekken 6?

I don`t think so :( I'll check when I get home.

i dont have a problem investing the time to learn something. i have no problems with tk her butterfly consistently. i guess it's easier for me to do since i play on stick. my goal for now is to learn to play. hopefully new york does get the international arcade release so i can keep practicing till console version.

That's the spirit! But Nina has A LOT of layers to her... and because of that she's such a beast. Haven't played TTT2 yet (grrr) but from what I observed and slightly played in T6, Nina has A TON of multi functional moves. For example:

Nina's WS+1 (Flapping Butterfly): You can (1) use it as a punisher from crouch position, (2) tracking move in both directions, (3) wall carry, (4) string initiator that has a follow up that causes a wall stun

Nina's d/b+3 (Stiletto): (1) Low poke that's not launch punishable, (2) tracking move as well

Nina's 1+4 (Ivory Cutter): (1) Whiff Punisher (2) Safe on block (3) Forces crouch (4) Bounds if caught on a float (5) Almost imposible to sidestep

You can't say the same for a lot of other characters. I.e. Armor King's WS best punisher from crounching WS+4 can easily be sidestepped and punished, but Nina has got all those nuances covered. But these are just moves which have strong properties similar to moves that (but not to the extent) Lars and Bob have.

Nina also has a crazy effective mixup game. And that mixup game also is multilayer-ed which can come from her stance movement or her strings. She has her awesome SS+1 that can transition into the hayashita step (~d/b) or the qcf movement (~d/f) right after which itself can be cancelled into whatever she pleases. It's how people use that crazy hayashita step that takes hours upon hours of practice to the extent where only 1 person in Tekken history truly mastered it. Even though it did get heavily nerfed in the current Tekken engine with the slightly more limiting movement, it's potential still can't be understated. And her cancels don't end with that, she can enter into the SS+1 fiasco from a variety of moves like d+4,1~SS d/f+3,1~SS or b+2,2~SS among others. And if she knows SS+1 will hit before inputting the 1, she can just do 2 for a free juggle starter! If she knows the 1 will be blocked, of coarse there's the hayashita madness available or just mixitup with SS+4 for a low which gives a free juggle on counter hit!

Then Nina's got her own sequences of multi-throws! If you're fighting someone that can't break throws properly, she can get them from her b+2+4 counter, from her hayashita step stance, from her d/f+1,2,3:1+2 throw transition which no other character has all in one.

Oh yeah, she also has an 11 frame magic 4 :)

Sayah

Yeah, keep practicing. Once you get into the depth of the game, you'll find the possibilities endless. The game never gets old for me (and it won't until TTT2 arrives).

Was in Tokyo last week, TTT2 is SO GOOD. I could sit and just watch the replay machine for hours.

Lucky you! I have to wait a year. :/

Sayah

I don`t think so :( I'll check when I get home.

That's the spirit! But Nina has A LOT of layers to her... and because of that she's such a beast. Haven't played TTT2 yet (grrr) but from what I observed and slightly played in T6, Nina has A TON of multi functional moves. For example:

Nina's WS+1 (Flapping Butterfly): You can (1) use it as a punisher from crouch position, (2) tracking move in both directions, (3) wall carry, (4) string initiator that has a follow up that causes a wall stun

Nina's d/b+3 (Stiletto): (1) Low poke that's not launch punishable, (2) tracking move as well

Nina's 1+4 (Ivory Cutter): (1) Whiff Punisher (2) Safe on block (3) Forces crouch (4) Bounds if caught on a float (5) Almost imposible to sidestep

You can't say the same for a lot of other characters. I.e. Armor King's WS best punisher from crounching WS+4 can easily be sidestepped and punished, but Nina has got all those nuances covered. But these are just moves which have strong properties similar to moves that (but not to the extent) Lars and Bob have.

Nina also has a crazy effective mixup game. And that mixup game also is multilayer-ed which can come from her stance movement or her strings. She has her awesome SS+1 that can transition into the hayashita step (~d/b) or the qcf movement (~d/f) right after which itself can be cancelled into whatever she pleases. It's how people use that crazy hayashita step that takes hours upon hours of practice to the extent where only 1 person in Tekken history truly mastered it. Even though it did get heavily nerfed in the current Tekken engine with the slightly more limiting movement, it's potential still can't be understated. And her cancels don't end with that, she can enter into the SS+1 fiasco from a variety of moves like d+4,1~SS d/f+3,1~SS or b+2,2~SS among others. And if she knows SS+1 will hit before inputting the 1, she can just do 2 for a free juggle starter! If she knows the 1 will be blocked, of coarse there's the hayashita madness available or just mixitup with SS+4 for a low which gives a free juggle on counter hit!

Then Nina's got her own sequences of multi-throws! If you're fighting someone that can't break throws properly, she can get them from her b+2+4 counter, from her hayashita step stance, from her d/f+1,2,3:1+2 throw transition which no other character has all in one.

Oh yeah, she also has an 11 frame magic 4 :)

Leave it to AAK to give detailed answers, haha.

Are any of these events going being streamed? I'm looking around but I can't see if it is or not.

Last year the WGC in Cannes was streaming the main stage events. We are also looking into the possibilities of streaming the Assembly tournament.

edit: atleast the stage matches of the 3rd place and final match will be streamed by Assembly TV in the finnish tournament. Not sure about matches during the tournament though. Last year we had several games running at the same time so atleast not all are streamed.

AAK

Gonna be taking the drive to socal for some ttt2 action at round 1 on wednesday =) Time to study up on tons of Jun/Asuka vids.

To get you started:

Bebe (Asuka/Jun) vs Knee (DJin/Hwoa/Kaz) 1 2 3 4 5 6 (epic 100 min deathmatch)

Lude (Asuka/Jun) vs JDCR (Jinpachi/Ogre) 1

Bebe (Asuka/Jun) vs Jic3moon Ace (Devil Jin/Heihachi) 1 2 3

Lude (Asuka/Jun) vs Kairi (Chreddy) 1 2 3

Lude (Asuka/Jun) vs Moruru (Xiaoyu/Julia) vs 200won (Anna/Julia) 1 2 3

I was on the dude's channel and thought it would be interesting to see what Jun vids there were ;)

Throavium

To get you started:

I was on the dude's channel and thought it would be interesting to see what Jun vids there were ;)
How is Kazuya able to transform without having Devil as a partner?

AAK

Gonna be taking the drive to socal for some ttt2 action at round 1 on wednesday =) Time to study up on tons of Jun/Asuka vids.

That's only Jin's transformation. Only Jin needs Devil Jin to do his special u/b+1+2 (I think) transformation tag with D. Jin.

Kazuya is now so boss that he can transition into Devil regularly with no underlying condition and is now one of his staple stances.

ibh9YfDcej0JTW.gif

I knew this GIF I made would come in handy one day ;)

To get you started:

I love you <3 I havent even seen any korean ttt2 action yet, this is gonna be good.

Doomshine

Haven't played TTT2 yet (grrr) but from what I observed and slightly played in T6, Nina has A TON of multi functional moves. For example:

Both moves have been nerfed in TTT2: d/b+3 is -15 now and Ivory Cutter no longer forces crouch on block.

One of the best representations of what Nina can do in T6 is probably Only Practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axvUgGAEMZo

AAK

Both moves have been nerfed in TTT2: d/b+3 is -15 now and Ivory Cutter no longer forces crouch on block.

One of the best representations of what Nina can do in T6 is probably Only Practice:

Personally the most memorable Nina play I've seen was Dioxin in Team Mishima vs Team 5 Dolls... a gauntlet that rivals FightingGM's MLG Columbus run-through.

But Only Practice's domination during Tekken Crash S5 is up there as well :)

GrayFoxPL

Little off topic:

I love Tekken to bits but I always thought it's a shame Harada doesn't get to design another fg franchise. He must have some cool ideas.

What would you say about Tekken-caliber fighting game but with badass mechs/robots?

Not free roam like new Gundam game or with robots that look like washer machines of horror or spiders with wings but humanoid badass cyber warriors fighting on similar 2d/3d plane like in Tekken. No connection to Earth or humans.

So? What do you say?

And no, Alisa wouldn't be anywhere near that. :p

It came on my mind because with new "odd" characters like Alisa(robot with afterburners) and Lars(Superhero style?) you could say Harada/Tekken team got little bored with traditional martial artists and is experimenting.

MightyKAC

Discovered two very interesting things the other day.

First, the PSP version of Tekken 6 on Japan's PSN is only 2500¥ which is about 7$ cheaper than the the version on the US psn store even with the current crappy conversion rate.

Secondly, the PSP version of Tekken 6 looks fan-fucking-TASTIC on the Vita :D

AAK

I believe Harada got to work on this game:

2385289.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qH3-wD62Qk

I only played it a little bit and it was a really fun party game but things just got so chaotic and it was kinda frustrating when things didn't work like you wanted it to. I think it could have been special if they had more time with it.

(Personally I am hoping that the playstation battle opera game that was leaked would play something like this)

But in the end, it's just that Harada has refined the process and gotten so proficient as a project lead for Tekken games that nobody else really can do it like he can.

I'm really anticipating what he has in store for TxSF though!

CSX

How is Kazuya able to transform without having Devil as a partner?
transformation is now a move

ub2+4 i think

devil kazuya is basically kazuya + lasers + some modified moves.

But all you need to know is that devil kaz has twin pistons and normal kaz doesnt :p

I only played it a little bit and it was a really fun party game but things just got so chaotic and it was kinda frustrating when things didn't work like you wanted it to. I think it could have been special if they had more time with it.

Hey mang, Urban Reign is one of my top 10 PS2 games :D Once you get in terms with the controls and mechanics its the best beat-em-up game ever made. I especially liked how multiple enemies could gang up on you instead of waiting their turn to attack like in other games.

Does Tekken Hybrid support OS-level screenshots like Tekken 6?

Tekken Tag HD nor Tekken Tag 2 Prologue support OS-level screenshots :(

AAK

First, the PSP version of Tekken 6 on Japan's PSN is only 2500¥ which is about 7$ cheaper than the the version on the US psn store even with the current crappy conversion rate.

Awesome, you got to try it! How are the buttons and dpad on the vita compared to the PSP?

Hey mang, Urban Reign is one of my top 10 PS2 games :D Once you get in terms with the controls and mechanics its the best beat-em-up game ever made. I especially liked how multiple enemies could gang up on you instead of waiting their turn to attack like in other games.

Like I said, I'm not very credible ;) Only played a few hours.

How does Vita handle the PSP game? is it just upscaled?

GrayFoxPL

2385289.jpg

(Personally I am hoping that the playstation battle opera game that was leaked would play something like this)

But in the end, it's just that Harada has refined the process and gotten so proficient as a project lead for Tekken games that nobody else really can do it like he can.

Indeed.

Urban Reign is fantastic. One of my favorite beat-em up's ever. Play it little more, the chaos clears up quickly.

But I meant more like 1 on 1 traditional fg.

MightyKAC

Awesome, you got to try it! How are the buttons and dpad on the vita compared to the PSP?
The d-pad is very nice I actually like the cross pad on the Vita a bit better since I can pull off diagonal moves (i.e. df,2's and such) a bit smoother with it. Also when I'm really my grove on in a match I tend to push down harder on the pad which would cause it to cut into my thumb a bit but I don't really have that problem with the Vita since the d-pad is recessed a bit deeper in. Also I like that the Vita's d-pad "click's" when you push it, but that mostly a personal thing :)

The buttons however took a pretty big adjustment to make. I'd say they're roughly 3/4th the size of the PSP's and spaced a bit closer together which makes doing your 1+2 and 3+4 moves easier but very quick individual button presses were damn near impossible for example: A.King's multi-part throws weren't too bad to pull off, but for the life of me I couldn't even do the basic ones for Nina at all. I can honestly see this as being a deal breaker for some folks who love their Tekken on the go. But it's pretty character dependent I guess. For me, it's just fine.

How does Vita handle the PSP game? is it just upscaled?

It gets pretty jaggy but the bilinear filtering option on the Vita keeps it from being too distracting. One thing to note is that the screens refresh rate makes the game feel a LOT smoother in motion, like the difference is pretty big. The Vita's expanded color pallet also does a good job of making the game look better. The only odd thing to note though is even on the Vita's highest brightness setting it's still a bit darker than PSP version. But that really doesn't affect the games overall presentation.

2385289.jpg

Even though you are not bashing it... don't talk about the game like that >_<

The first part of the game totally feels that way but once you get skills down and upgrade more the game is probably the best (even though still crazy) evolution of the brawler genre IMHO.

I miss this game... hard as fuck but basically how Tekken Force should have always played like.

maomaoIYP

Personally the most memorable Nina play I've seen was Dioxin in Team Mishima vs Team 5 Dolls... a gauntlet that rivals FightingGM's MLG Columbus run-through.

But Only Practice's domination during Tekken Crash S5 is up there as well :)

Holy shit those Nina vids are amazing, thanks guys.

.... Did Xiaoyu get buffed in the movement department or something?

I can't for the life of me hit her in TTT2; A couple of local Xiaoyu players were able to dodge, duck and roll around me pretty easily. It sorta feels like facing a decent dodging Nina or *gulp* Xiaoyu back in T3.

I must be getting too predictable or something, darn Lei/DVJ why must you both be meh in the tracking department. D:

It gets pretty jaggy but the bilinear filtering option on the Vita keeps it from being too distracting.

Can you take screenshots of PSP games on the PS Vita? Kinda interested in how it looks now. :>

2385289.jpg

One of my favourite games from the ps2 era, damn, is really amazing and fun

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

Nina also has a crazy effective mixup game. And that mixup game also is multilayer-ed which can come from her stance movement or her strings. She has her awesome SS+1 that can transition into the hayashita step (~d/b) or the qcf movement (~d/f) right after which itself can be cancelled into whatever she pleases. It's how people use that crazy hayashita step that takes hours upon hours of practice to the extent where only 1 person in Tekken history truly mastered it.

I play vs Nina a lot. Probably one of the greatest Nina players in history. I can tell you that to, didn't even master the hayashida (named after Japanese player in Tekken 3 days), though he did make it popular in early T4 days. There were several other Nina players that were able to use it more effectively.

btw, in TTT2 you can launch punish her d/b+3 and it is easier to SS her ivory.

Binabik15

Mighty Tekken GAF, I inquire your help.

Seeing all those TekkenxStreetfighter threads and playing a bit of Soul Calibur 4 made me hungry for some Tekken love. Problem: I never got 6 because of the negative reception back then, aliased graphics etc.

That means I only have Tekken 3, Tag Tournament and Dark Resurrection to entertain me. I chose DR, since I want to use my PSP again to get handheld gaming back in my life before the Vita hits.

I have played Tekken games for over ten years now, but never more than an hour or two against friends and family, pretty low skill level or even pure button mashing. Haven't played in a year or two, after my brother broke his PSP and I had no opponent. I actually owned a strategy guide for T3, but that's it. No fancy air juggling or animation cancelling, I never even bought sticks (which I'll do once I get a new Tekken/a good price comes up)- The craziest thing I did was learning all of King's throws in T3, but I forgot them pretty quickly. The OP does a great job at explaining basics I forget

So, here are my question:

-any good (low-level) tutorials for King in DR? Something along the line of "use X when the opponent jumps" and what attacks can be strung together, how to exploit stuns etc without overly going into frame counting and canceling would be great. I just want to beat up the CPU and a feel for the game again.

-What brand of fightsticks for PS3 use?

-Is it worth buying Tekken 6 for PS3?

GrayFoxPL

Buy Tekken 6.

DR is an awesome game, maybe even the best in the series but who are you gonna play against when everyone switched to 6?
You go to 6 after learning DR and you gonna go: "WTF?!". Bounding makes you completely rethink combos not mentioning pretty big character changes from DR.

Get T6, find character you like and play online player matches until you start to get hate messages - means you're doing something right.

AAK

JustFrameJames vs Kane and Rickstah vs SouthAfricanMitsu are awesome matches!

As for the Hwoarang Unblockable, I think it'll be a good balance thing if they gave the hit properties of his LFS f+1+4 the same properties as Julia's new WR+1, that way there won't be any follow ups possible on the tag assault unless a very situational position away from a wall. Personally that would be a fair balance.

.... Did Xiaoyu get buffed in the movement department or something?

I can't for the life of me hit her in TTT2; A couple of local Xiaoyu players were able to dodge, duck and roll around me pretty easily. It sorta feels like facing a decent dodging Nina or *gulp* Xiaoyu back in T3.

Damn, I love watching flashy characters! Can't wait to see more of Ling shenanigans in high level play, it's a shame LingMassacre retired. :(

I play vs Nina a lot. Probably one of the greatest Nina players in history. I can tell you that to, didn't even master the hayashida (named after Japanese player in Tekken 3 days), though he did make it popular in early T4 days. There were several other Nina players that were able to use it more effectively.

btw, in TTT2 you can launch punish her d/b+3 and it is easier to SS her ivory.

Markman with the history lesson! Thanks for the info, I stand corrected :)

There are also some HD videos on Gametrailers from Socal Regionals:

SoCal Regionals 2011: Armor King-Bryan vs Lei-Leo HD

SoCal Regionals 2011: Devil Jin-Lars vs Law-Hwoarang HD

SoCal Regionals 2011: Kazuya-Heihachi vs Law-Hwoarang HD

SoCal Regionals 2011: Miguel-Heihachi vs Eddy-Zafina HD

SoCal Regionals 2011: Jun-Leo vs Christie-Eddy HD

God this game is beautiful!

Got some good action in yesterday and both Round 1 and super aracde. Round 1 is such a nice place. They have 2 TTT2 cabinets back to back, and Matrix Matt works there lol. So much has changed since the evo build and man the graphics seemed even better. The difference in graphics between the arcade and prologue is pretty huge. I really hope Namco finds a way to get the graphics as close to the arcade's as possible for the console release. Seeing Unknown in person was amazing, she is insanely hot. Probably going to drive down there again in January and then comes the long wait for the console version.

CSX

Is Tekken Zaibatsu down?

I was going to read up on new moves today. Are there any other sites to learn new moves/characters for Tag 2?

Skilletor

Who is a good Lei player in T6 to watch?

I think I want to learn him. Was playing some TTT HD the other night and remembered my love of stances.

AAK

Ahoy there Binabik!

-any good (low-level) tutorials for King in DR? Something along the line of "use X when the opponent jumps" and what attacks can be strung together, how to exploit stuns etc without overly going into frame counting and canceling would be great. I just want to beat up the CPU and a feel for the game again.

There isn't really anything "character specific" for Tekken when you respond to your opponent's actions like in 2D games. It usually about moving and forcing your opponent to whiff something or blocking something at the right time and then punishing.

But KING is special where he has an unchickenable counter (as seen in the counter section of the op) so I love to use that when I play King and IMO a really underused move.

As for stuns, I know King has flop stun from f,n,d,d/f+4 and if your opponent doesn't tech, you get a free u/f+4.
He also has a crumple stun from FC+d/f+2 which you can follow up with d/f+4,3 to continue a juggle and he gets a crumple fall with FC+d/f+1 where you do have to crouch cancel to continue the juggle.

I dunno, it's best that you watch gameplay videos and learn from them.

EDIT: whoops, the above is for T6, not DR... sorry I forgot about DR.

-What brand of fightsticks for PS3 use?

Use whatever is comfortable for you. I prefer the Hori T6 because of the space it provides between the stick and buttons.

-Is it worth buying Tekken 6 for PS3?

500+ hours in and no sign of stopping says yes ;)

Who is a good Lei player in T6 to watch?

I think I want to learn him. Was playing some TTT HD the other night and remembered my love of stances.

Furumizu

Suiken

The Exalted

Is Tekken Zaibatsu down?

I was going to read up on new moves today. Are there any other sites to learn new moves/characters for Tag 2?

Yup, servers are getting replaced.

AAK

Fun fact, Furumizu was the first man to get Tekken God status in Japan ;)

He had an epic deathmatch with Nobi's Dragunov to reach that status.

EDIT:

What!? Just checked Harada's twitter and saw this:

jvrICffY5AJNe.jpg

Why oh why couldn't we have gotten stuff like this rather than lame CG portraits in the TBV art book :(

zlatko

Banned
Going to buy Tekken 6 for myself for Christmas. I would have gotten it earlier, but I was in that SF4 vortex, and the MvC3 one after it. My plan was really to just hold out until Tekken Tag 2 hits consoles, but winter 2012 is ridiculously far off. :(

I didn't play much T6 online when I rented it, but the few matches I played had noticeable lag. Is that just bad luck on my part? Is there a strong GAF presence that lives in the USA that I can get games in with who have solid internet connections?

I want to learn Steve Fox for now, and when I feel comfortable with him I'll find a secondary so I have a team I can semi practice over the next year for TTT2.

Top Bottom