• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta had over 6.4 million players, biggest New IP beta this gen

BY2K

Membero Americo
Regardless of my opinion of the game (I had fun with the closed beta until I finished everything there was to do), I'm not sure if I should be impressed or sad that Ubi feels the need to brag about how many players a BETA had.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regardless of my opinion of the game (I had fun with the closed beta until I finished everything there was to do), I'm not sure if I should be impressed or sad that Ubi feels the need to brag about how many players a BETA had.

It's pretty industry standard. Huge betas are usually followed by major sales since it shows significant interest in downloading a title and playing it.

It was 26 GB too so it wasn't an easy to obtain thing.

Boke1879

EA did it with Battlefront, Activision did it with Destiny. At this point I think it's a useful metric. The game will sell amazingly.

SO guys what's the consensus based on what you've played? Wait and see? Or jumping in day 1? Anyone got a site or post of compiled info I can read up on? Honestly about ready to preorder. Been waiting for a game like this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Shows interest in the IP.

Tovarisc

Depends, were you impressed or sad when Activision bragged with numbers they got with Destiny betas?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
2 million Titanfall beta -> 10 million registered players
4.6 million Destiny beta -> 25 million registered players
6.4 million Division beta -> 35 million registered players?

This could end up being a real success for Ubisoft, there was little criticism from beta players.

Cyto

2 million Titanfall beta -> 10 million registered players
4.6 million Destiny beta -> 25 million registered players
6.4 million Division beta -> 35 million registered players?

This could end up being a real success for Ubisoft, there was little criticism from beta players.

You're serious? Have you checked the Steam or Ubisoft forums for the game?

It's pretty industry standard. Huge betas are usually followed by major sales since it shows significant interest in downloading a title and playing it.

EA did it with Battlefront, Activision did it with Destiny. At this point I think it's a useful metric. The game will sell amazingly.

SO guys what's the consensus based on what you've played? Wait and see? Or jumping in day 1? Anyone got a site or post of compiled info I can read up on? Honestly about ready to preorder. Been waiting for a game like this.

Exactly this generation we have a 1:1 success rate on huge Beta numbers = a huge opening. Its a useful metric for a Publisher to put out there as it means major interest in an IP launch.

BY2K

Membero Americo

That's fair.

Depends, were you impressed or sad when Activision bragged with numbers they got with Destiny betas?

I don't recall those numbers, but I'm guessing they were high?

j-wood

At first I was shocked this was bigger than Destiny, but then I remember this is on PC as well, plus you probably had people downloading console/ps4 (like I did) to see which version they wanted.

That probably accounts for the extra 2 million at least to be honest.

nowai

What I love about this game is the fact you can matchmake with random people for missions and raids!! Meanwhile in Destiny you still can't. (Fuck that friends only BS or go through your stupid site to find a group).

If Destiny has taught me anything, it's that matchmaking with randos is pretty much the most frustrating gaming activity I have ever experienced. Especially the new TTK strikes with light raid mechanics.

If the Destiny raids had matchmaking, teams wouldn't even be able to open the vault, make it through the abyss or unlock door at the court.

Basically anything that requires communication or teamwork is a death sentence for match making. If the team has to do more than just shoot waves of enemies, randos fail virtually every time. Even with only kill mechanics, you still have a jackass or two that just sits AFK.

You are a brave soul if you attempt matchmaking with randos on anything challenging.

ironcreed

Banned
Don't really see how you can knock this. A shit load of people are interested in this game, regardless. It bodes well any way you slice it.

The Goat

At least 50% of players going rogue went rogue by accident

Hah, for sure. So many people walked in front of my shots. Then the group of rogues we were fighting, runs off, and everyone turns on you. Love the game other than having that happen to often.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Amazing numbers but i refuse to believe it will sell as well as destiny. the gameplay is just not as fun.

LKSmash

Really excited for March. Thoroughly enjoyed my time and looking forward to seeing what the full release has to offer.

EL CUCO

This game wasn't on my radar at all until I played the closed/open betas. Can't get enough of it now. Looking forward to March 8th.

If Ubi/Massive plays this smart they could have a very healthy and active community.

_woLf

I was really enjoying the game this weekend when I was playing story missions.

And then I went into the Dark Zone. Oh my god, more games need shit like that. The only thing I really didn't care for was the amount of XP you lose when you die while rouge GREATLY outdoes the amount you gain for killing people while rogue, so you're pretty much guaranteed to lose XP.

tilomite!

I didn't play much because I wanted to wait for the full game, buts it definately the best beta I've been a part of. I just hope there's plenty of content at launch.

impact

Banned
and similar to the SW Battlefront beta, my whole group of friends is no longer buying The Division because of the shitty time we had in the beta. I really appreciate the betas since demos are a thing of the past.

I still didn't get a chance to try it. Was it good?

it's like Destiny, but third person and with much worse gameplay mechanics.

jaaz

The best thing I liked about The Division is that going lone wolf appears to be a viable play option, even in the DZ. You have to be extremely careful, but it's doable, at least in the beta. We'll see how the final game shapes out, but it was refreshing to play a game where a solo experience was a truly viable play style.

RedAssedApe

Banned
beta was pretty boring to me. then again i played by myself and i don't think that's how you're supposed to play this type of game...

phaonaut

I'm ready.

Playtime:

Closed Beta:
2016-02-0123_49_41-tofuksm.png

Open Beta:
2016-02-2218_16_30-tousklg.png

44360-do-you-miss-the-division-no-no.gif

What type of time format is this?

ironcreed

Banned
The best thing I liked about The Division is that going lone wolf appears to be a viable play option, even in the DZ. You have to be extremely careful, but it's doable, at least in the beta. We'll see how the final game shapes out, but it was refreshing to play a game where a solo experience was a truly viable play style.

I feel like I am going to get punished the most for going solo in the DZ, but I am hoping that having more room to play in will even things out.

Theorry

Knew this was gonna happen after playing the alpha. I forgot about the game until the alpha showed up and was very intrested in the full game right away. Think that happened for alot of people. Hopefully it doesnt get overhyped.

If this game actually has the content and support it needs...

It would be pretty wild for my fav current gen MP games to be from Ubi. Siege and this scratch good itches.

dex3108

Good thing with this and R6 Siege is it seems that Ubi Servers can hold up nicely even with big traffic like that without too many issues.

It's pretty damn fun, but the loot may not be as interesting and varied as I think it should be. Still got gold version preordered, looking forward to jumping in.

AP90

Yeah I had that happen to me. Me and my friend shooting a few NPC's and then another guy runs in front of my fire, we go rogue and everyone decides to murder us.

They need to fix how fast one turns rogue, cause at most I hit him with 3 bullets.

This. But idk how they'd actually do it, besides having a minimum damage requirement or something like that.

I thought the beta was very good. Depending on how long the campaign is I will definitely be buying as the games has a nice balance of gunplay looting and skill trees. Now the question is whether or not I go xb1 or PC. I am leaning towards pc so that I can max out the games graphical capabilities.

Top Bottom