• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta had over 6.4 million players, biggest New IP beta this gen

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The best thing I liked about The Division is that going lone wolf appears to be a viable play option, even in the DZ. You have to be extremely careful, but it's doable, at least in the beta. We'll see how the final game shapes out, but it was refreshing to play a game where a solo experience was a truly viable play style.
It's very fun and all it takes it patience, one guy is always going off from the rest of the group. Quick down+melee than break for the subway tunnels after killing his teammates. 4k health+RPK and the medic ability.

This. But idk how they'd actually do it, besides having a minimum damage requirement or something like that.

There seems to already be one in place. I had a few moments where I put 1-2 bullets in another player (by accident) and I was okay/didn't go rogue.

The game actually seemed to have a few confused moments. I swear, I saw some players go Rogue for just a few seconds, then it disappeared. Led to some tense situations where I started shooting at them but then they went clean just a moment later.

I feel like I am going to get punished the most for going solo in the DZ, but I am hoping that having more room to play in will even things out.

It's hard to say, because the DZ in the main release is supposed to be fairly different. As a rogue, you're likely to get swarmed by other players, so with the crowded DZ in the beta, a solo player would get chewed up unless the immediately ran and hid. As a solo player in the beta, that's essentially what I did. Rarely went rogue, but when I did I would immediately hide in the subway or something.

Full release DZ is supposed to be far less crowded player wise. Taking that into consideration, as a solo player I'd probably be far more likely to go rogue and shoot any other random solo person I came across, as there likely wouldn't be anyone around to gang up on me.

JakR

I played the beta around 5-6 hours and it was fine, but the at same time the missions seems tame, side missions repeat in short time and New York is a nice back drop, but in structure not exciting.

So I am one of the over 6.4 million players, but will not buy the game. It seems for me I have seen already enough.

T.O.P

Banned
Did my part with over 40 hours between the last two betas

Gold Ed. already pre-ordered on PC, can't wait...might double dip on X1 as well in the long run, we'll see :)

jond76

Banned
I skipped this beta to keep things fresh for me come release.

The devs keep hinting we haven't seen everything so that's exciting. I heard a rumor of a raid type scenario on Rikers island. Surprises like that would be cool.

I'm ready.

Upinsmoke

I enjoyed the beta but I see the game getting old really quick. There's no variety and even though the size of the beta doesn't represent the final product I'm very skeptical of the long term gameplay.

So I'm very much undecided.

Kuksune

I had a really good time with the beta and loved running around in the darkzone hunting down rogues. Spent around 14 hours in the beta. in destiny i spent maybe 1hour before i quit it.

It was a good beta. Just big enough to get a decent taste of it.
Didn't really gel with me too well. I didn't think the gameplay was that fun and while their Manhattan looks big, it doesn't seem like they'll be much to do in it.
Looks like something I'd play for 2 weeks and then drop, which I think is fine for most people. Just not for me.
I'm expecting it to do with extremely well.

Kadin

I didn't get a chance to jump in and try the DZ. Can someone clarify something for me? If I'm in there and not actively trying to kill others but someone then decides to take shots at me, can I then return fire without going rogue since they shot me first? I don't think I'm gonna be much on the offensive in there but I definitely would like to defend myself without becoming a target for everyone else.

Oh and I really enjoyed what I did play, only got to level 6 though.

ViciousDS

Banned
Impressions in GAF's beta thread are mostly positive with very valid criticism brought up [e.g. NPC density], given that thread a look?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185590

dark zone only end game is still a huge concern......and we haven't got a real answer for it yet from the Dev's yet.....although we do have leaks/rumors on it.

Also the game definitely is going to be short mission wise....I mean 20% of your base of operations in 2/3 trees completed already in the beta? That was done within mere hours of playing. It's not going to hold content heavy players very long.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Your move Blizzard
overwatch.jpg

lt519

I didn't get a chance to jump in and try the DZ. Can someone clarify something for me? If I'm in there and not actively trying to kill others but someone then decides to take shots at me, can I then return fire without going rogue since they shot me first? I don't think I'm gonna be much on the offensive in there but I definitely would like to defend myself without becoming a target for everyone else.

Oh and I really enjoyed what I did play, only got to level 6 though.

Yeah, they'll have the jump on you. But there is a damage threshold, once they damage you a red triangle appears above them and if they damage you further they go rogue (red skull). At that point you can damage them without consequences.

it's like Destiny, but not at all!

I really hope one thing it does take from Destiny is that Bungie had an absolutely killer web-interface/app support for the game. I'd love to be able to look at my character now and mess around with his gear. Not sure they announced anything like that yet?

the truth.

The Division already has a number of better gameplay or game design mechanics over Destiny.

-Voice/prox chat
-An arena that mixes PvP and PvE
-Classes/skill trees that do more to complement each other (not having a healing/healer class or skill tree in Destiny is huge, IMO)
-It doesn't seem to have any bullshit-horrible engram/RNG mechanic, like Destiny had/has (I know patches/TTK fixed a lot of this, but it was awful in the beginning)

The Division doesn't try to hide being an RPG, while Destiny pretends it's something "new" and ignores tried and true ideas that would have worked far better than their own solutions.

Auctopus

1. Create hype for a game on the worlds biggest media platform (e3)
2. Wait fucking ages.
3. Tell everyone they can play it for free.

AP90

Had a nice ghost recon/mass effect feel to me if that makes any sense.

The darkzone was annoying at times and it did have its good moments, but it's not something I'd like to do daily or frequently.

T.O.P

Banned
The Division is like the Witcher 3 of MMO shooters.

Witcher 3 being one of my favourite games of all time (gameplay included) confirms that we are on total opposites :)

The Division combat and rpg mechanics are perfect and extremely fun as it is

1. Create hype for a game on the worlds biggest media platform (e3)
2. Wait fucking ages.
3. Tell everyone they can play it for free.

??????????????????????????????????????

Hyun Sai

I tried the beta yesterday, and was very pleased, expected much worse.

If Capcom SFV servers are not fixed by march, I'll jump and sink in.

Kadin

Yeah, they'll have the jump on you. But there is a damage threshold, once they damage you a red triangle appears above them and if they damage you further they go rogue (red skull). At that point you can damage them without consequences.
Oh okay so if I accidentally shot someone and then quickly stopped, I too would be safe from going rogue? Good to know as I can be trigger happy with someone just popping up on my screen.

impact

Banned
it's like Destiny, but not at all!

How is it not at all like Destiny?

It's almost the same fucking game, but in third person and in a different (yet oddly similar) setting. Biggest difference is Destiny actually has good gunplay.

Oh okay so if I accidentally shot someone and then quickly stopped, I too would be safe from going rogue? Good to know as I can be trigger happy with someone just popping up on my screen.
Yes, there is a threshold. Even if you do go Rogue accidentally, it's only a 20 second timer and the penalties for dying as a so-called Level 0 Rogue aren't that bad

lt519

The Division already has a number of better gameplay or game design mechanics over Destiny.

-Voice/prox chat
-An arena that mixes PvP and PvE
-Classes/skill trees that do more to complement each other (not having a healing/healer class or skill tree in Destiny is huge, IMO)
-It doesn't seem to have any bullshit-horrible engram/RNG mechanic, like Destiny had/has (I know patches/TTK fixed a lot of this, but it was awful in the beginning)

The Division doesn't try to hide being an RPG, while Destiny pretends it's something "new" and ignores tried and true ideas that would have worked far better than their own solutions.

I'll give you the voice/prox chat but the DZ mixed arena is complete opinion (which had its own problems, tipping people off to our intentions). The rogue mechanic was very hit or miss for me. I'd prefer three options, PvE, PvP, and DZ. Sometimes we were in the DZ and just wanted to fight each other but the ramifications of failing when going rogue are too high if you just want to have a fun firefight with buddies.

The classes; I had way more fun with Destiny classes/supers than I did with The Division. And yet to be seen on RNG; The Division could end up having horrible drop rates as well. Just because Destiny hid them under an engram mechanic doesn't change the root problem.

They play like totally different games, so opinions. Shouldn't really be compared except for how they handle the MMO-like aspect of social aspects and the end game grind/experience.

A sniper round or a grenade will do enough damage to make you go rogue. But you can put a couple assault rifle or pistol rounds into someone without going rogue. People baited others into going rogue by shooting them with a pistol to trick them.

vpance

Graphics and the gunplay drew me in, but I don't think I'll buy it at launch.

Aside from the downfall of AssCreed Ubi is cleaning up this gen.

T.O.P

Banned
How is it not at all like Destiny?

It's almost the same fucking game, but in third person and in a different (yet oddly similar) setting. Biggest difference is Destiny actually has good gunplay.

Why not start by saying in wich area they are similar? since you are the one calling it "the same fucking game"

Fishook

Played Beta, and I quite like the setting and game play, but I don't have time or commitment to play these games anymore, I certainly won't be buying this. People will hoover up free trials or games even if they have little or no interest in them.

Top Bottom