• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division now supports 4K resolution at all times on PS4 Pro

Calm Mind

Here's some quick screens at 1080p

mygreatcapturescreensykkdd.png

mygreatcapturescreenssikfs.png

These are very clean.

Here's some quick screens at 1080p
here's one at 4k using the share button.
I've being waiting for this Pro patch, thanks Ubisoft

Thanks for the shots! By my pixel counts the 4K shot does seem to be a full 3840x2160, which I'm aware barely seems credible. So there are two possibilities where the native resolution may be less:

A. Checkerboard rendering
B. Temporal AA edge improvement

The first option doesn't seem very likely to me. These shots seem to have been taken when still, or with little motion, so reprojection artifacts wouldn't be prevalent anyway. But I don't see any of the telltale stippling you usually get.

The second option is much more likely. To explain, this is when supersampling from sequential frames allow the edges of objects to get more and more accurate. This can effectively raise the resolution of those edges, while the remainder of the image remains softer. This appears to be used in For Honor, so perhaps Ubisoft shared the method here.

As further evidence, the TAA that's necessary for this technique can leave ghosted artifacts on objects in motion. (These are typically larger and multiply repeat, so they can generally be distinguished from CBR artifacts.) These types of artifacts are visible in the last shot.

Finally, it's harder to tell because it just relies on AA patterning, but I do think the game is downsampling at 1080p.

Please keep in mind that I am not an expert, so any or all of this could be mistaken. (And also the 4K shot is very dark and has few good edges to check.)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Seems like a fantastic update, like so many others recently, but remember the Pro is a big fuck-you to Playstation fans and will signal the end of console generations as we know them.........

I'm (pleasantly) surprised at their commitment to this game. They could have let it die as it seemed poised to do. I actually kinda regretted picking up the base game for a measly $15 a few weeks ago...but this sort of support makes me want to finally jump in at least for the story portion.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm (pleasantly) surprised at their commitment to this game. They could have let it die as it seemed poised to do. I actually kinda regretted picking up the base game for a measly $15 a few weeks ago...but this sort of support makes me want to finally jump in at least for the story portion.

It's a great game. I've put in around 3 days or so, and barely touched all the content.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So...does it look like E3 2013's version now?...or....

Y'all know there is a PC version right? That you can bump up to like 8K.

Or are you just trying to clever?

Game was always amazing looking. Aside from the GI being reduced in fidelity, it is one of if not the most beautiful, reactive, and dense open world games ever made.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a quality upgrade in image quality no matter what they've done here. It'll be interesting to find it the technical details though

Hnetuduft

Think we'll get a sequel?

The game has its flaws and had some insane issues at launch.

But man, I truly loved the setting and the gunplay.

I think a sequel that irons outs the kinks in this one could be amazing.

dr_rus

This is insane but it does certainly look like a native 4K rendering. I don't think that it's checkerboard since Snowdrop is unlikely to be compatible.

pottuvoi

Banned
Thanks for the shots! By my pixel counts the 4K shot does seem to be a full 3840x2160, which I'm aware barely seems credible. So there are two possibilities where the native resolution may be less:

A. Checkerboard rendering
B. Temporal AA edge improvement

The first option doesn't seem very likely to me. These shots seem to have been taken when still, or with little motion, so reprojection artifacts wouldn't be prevalent anyway. But I don't see any of the telltale stippling you usually get.

The second option is much more likely. To explain, this is when supersampling from sequential frames allow the edges of objects to get more and more accurate. This can effectively raise the resolution of those edges, while the remainder of the image remains softer. This appears to be used in For Honor, so perhaps Ubisoft shared the method here.

As further evidence, the TAA that's necessary for this technique can leave ghosted artifacts on objects in motion. (These are typically larger and multiply repeat, so they can generally be distinguished from CBR artifacts.) These types of artifacts are visible in the last shot.

Finally, it's harder to tell because it just relies on AA patterning, but I do think the game is downsampling at 1080p.

Please keep in mind that I am not an expert, so any or all of this could be mistaken. (And also the 4K shot is very dark and has few good edges to check.)
Considering that TAA was mentioned in patch notes the B choice would be my bet.
So something similar to implementation in Dust 514 and Quantum Break. (not sure if they ever enabled it in Dust.)

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

onQ123

If it's to the point where people are confused & can't tell if it's native or not does it really matter?

it's either they optimized the native rendering to the point that it can run in 4K or they optimized their non native 4K rendering to the point where it look just as good as native 4K. The end result is what we have & if people can't tell the difference either way 4K native would only be a talking point.

What does it look like / how is the edge quality differ when the screen is moving? Can anyone take a screen while moving the screen at a fast rate?

This game does not have motion blur so it should be a rather interesting test to check how it is rendering.

M_A_C

did they ever fix the slow texture streaming on PS4 Pro? Might have to pick this game up again to try the 4k.

If it's to the point where people are confused & can't tell if it's native or not does it really matter?
No one is confused (except perhaps you). The reason my conclusions about rendering resolution are stated tentatively is because they're based on a single screenshot, with little visible detail. It would be irresponsible and misleading to act certain about my analysis. But I assure you, given enough material to test people can still easily tell the difference between native, reprojection, and accumulation techniques.

And of course it matters, no matter how good the results get. It makes little sense to totally devalue the analytical perspective. Sure, to the end user only the results matter, not the method; if it looks good enough to them, it's good enough. That's trivially true.

But that statement applies equally well to folks who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. That doesn't mean we might as well quit mentioning what framerate games run at.

Deepo

First impressions are that the game looks absolutely gorgeous on my LG Oled now. Super sharp, no noticeable aliasing.

Think we'll get a sequel?

The game has its flaws and had some insane issues at launch.

But man, I truly loved the setting and the gunplay.

I think a sequel that irons outs the kinks in this one could be amazing.

I'm pretty damn sure they sold enough to serialize. It's Ubi... You'll get them until you're sick of them. See AssCreed.

onQ123

No one is confused (except perhaps you). The reason my conclusions about rendering resolution are stated tentatively is because they're based on a single screenshot, with little visible detail. It would be irresponsible and misleading to act certain about my analysis. But I assure you, given enough material to test people can still easily tell the difference between native, reprojection, and accumulation techniques.

And of course it matters, no matter how good the results get. It makes little sense to totally devalue the analytical perspective. Sure, to the end user only the results matter, not the method; if it looks good enough to them, it's good enough. That's trivially true.

But that statement applies equally well to folks who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. That doesn't mean we might as well quit mentioning what framerate games run at.

If you have to go through all this to test to find out if it's native or not then it's to the point where it only really matters as a talking point. that's all I'm saying I'm not sure where you're coming from right now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This update makes my Pro fans blow like crazy. Only other games that make it this loud are Horizon and Shadow of Mordor.

If you have to go through all this to test to find out if it's native or not then it's to the point where it only really matters as a talking point.
You go through the tests to ensure you're not making a mistake, not because the tests are hard to interpret.

To repeat my example, you also have to perform tests to see what framerate a game runs at. Does that mean framerate "only really matters as a talking point"?

And no matter what your answer is to that question, why do you think your answer should apply to everyone?

Certainly improved resolution. Though it now feels more sluggish than the previous pro version. Also as others have mentioned, fans now blow like crazy!

Top Bottom