• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division now supports 4K resolution at all times on PS4 Pro

ZoyosJD

Yeah but how did they get to 4K on Pro if the game is 1080p/30 on OG? I've looked up some PC benchmarks of the game and Pro level Radeons (380X, 280X) do not hit even average 30 on a high preset there in 4K, let alone locked 30.

It seemed like a big jump at first, but all the benchmarks I saw were from back in March or so. With the Pro's ~5% performance over the r9 380x, the ~16% performance jump from driver improvements, and a couple percent from switching to dx12, it's within spitting distance. Not to mention the game had a bug involving user files causing all sorts of issues and slowly dropping performance by as much as 20% over time making these differences go relatively unnoticed.

There is no real amazing performance differential being overcome via extreme optimization. Much like Doom, the game is very sterile. Relatively low poly geometry, minimal environmental interaction, reused assets, limited draw distances, etc. With that said the game still looks really good and accomplishing this in an always online game is quite the feat. I applaud the team for sticking with their game. I haven't played the game since beta, so I await the DF analysis. I'm sure this is 30fps by the skin of it's teeth based on those percentages.

As an aside, I hope this doesn't spawn a what counts as AAA argument. This worked out for NBA and the Division, but it won't be reasonable for the vast majority of high profile titles as we have already seen. Maybe we see another set of 24fps "cinematic" swan songs to hit 4k on Pro. In the mean time take things at face value.

CREMSteve

Picked this up and been playing it for about a week now, having a blast. Wanted to comment on how clean the IQ is, simply gorgeous.

CREMSteve

Might as well ask in here, has anyone else experienced any crippling frame rate drops after long sessions of playing this? Reminds me a lot of Skyrim problems with memory leakage on the PS3. Only happened to me on my Pro though, friends whom I was playing with didn't experience it on their standard PS4.

Top Bottom