• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division now supports 4K resolution at all times on PS4 Pro

belvedere

Junior Butler
Its worth pointing out that on multiple occasions DF has stated that checkerboard rendering isn't noticeable unless 2ft or closer to the display. Depending on implementation, artifacts can still be a factor but not in every case.

onQ123

You go through the tests to ensure you're not making a mistake, not because the tests are hard to interpret.

To repeat my example, you also have to perform tests to see what framerate a game runs at. Does that mean framerate "only really matters as a talking point"?

And no matter what your answer is to that question, why do you think your answer should apply to everyone?

4k native vs 4K using a different technique that still = the same number of pixels is not the same as 60fps vs 30fps so I'm not sure why you're making that comparison?

The end result is the same amount of pixels so if you are not able to see if the full frame was created in the traditional way or if the cheaper technique was able to hide the tell tell artifacts of not using the traditional rendering technique then yes it's mostly just a talking point because to the end user they are saying almost the same thing.

Maybe you're missing what I'm saying

it's either they optimize & cut back somethings that you can't see to reach native 4k or they optimize their non native 4K to the point where you can't see that it's not native 4K the end result is going to be about the same so it's mostly a talking point.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tried it yesterday. Looks like 1440p to me. Definitely not native 4K.
Hmm, no way it's only 1440p based on this screen from the previous page. You can clearly see that pixels on objects edges align to a full 4K pixel grid, and it looks really sharp. It's just that textures are not some ultra high res, which make it look softer.

https://abload.de/img/tomclancysthedivisionf0k36.png

Liebe Brave's explanation is probably about right.

dr_rus

My guess in downsampling to 1080p tvs and 4k without using dynamic resolution to keep performance.

Yeah but how did they get to 4K on Pro if the game is 1080p/30 on OG? I've looked up some PC benchmarks of the game and Pro level Radeons (380X, 280X) do not hit even average 30 on a high preset there in 4K, let alone locked 30.

Awesome news! I tweeted about this last night after I saw the patch notes. I didn't boot it up though because....Horizon. It's great to get confirmation on this!

And this is enough for me to give it another shot. Thanks Massive!

Yeah but how did they get to 4K on Pro if the game is 1080p/30 on OG?
How did NBA 2K17 go from 1080p/60 to 4K/60? By having headroom on some tasks, and getting bottlenecks elsewhere relieved by the new hardware. That may not be the whole answer, but this much of a resolution bump is not unprecedented.

4k native vs 4K using a different technique that still = the same number of pixels is not the same as 60fps vs 30fps so I'm not sure why you're making that comparison?
I'm making the comparison because the situations are in fact the exact same. Just because you can tell the difference in one case but not the other doesn't warrant generalizing to everyone.

The end result is the same amount of pixels so if you are not able to see if the full frame was created in the traditional way or if the cheaper technique was able to hide the tell tell artifacts of not using the traditional rendering technique then yes it's mostly just a talking point because to the end user they are saying almost the same thing.
"Amount of pixels" is a very, very poor measure of quality. Wheels of Aurelia pushes millions more pixels on Pro than Horizon Zero Dawn, does that mean it's better? If Uncharted 4 and Life of Black Tiger push the same number, are they equivalent?

Besides that, your point relies on a situation that doesn't exist, where we can't tell the difference between native and non-native techniques. We can, easily. Even if we ignore its other faults, your argument is at best premature.

dr_rus

How did NBA 2K17 go from 1080p/60 to 4K/60? By having headroom on some tasks, and getting bottlenecks elsewhere relieved by the new hardware. That may not be the whole answer, but this much of a resolution bump is not unprecedented.

1080p/60 is pretty much the maximum possible on PS4 so you can have that and still some power to spare as you've already reached peak possible mode. It's not in the least surprising that this can be pushed to 4K/60 on twice more powerful h/w.

The Division is 1080p/30 on PS4 though and that makes things quite a bit more interesting.

onQ123

I'm making the comparison because the situations are in fact the exact same. Just because you can tell the difference in one case but not the other doesn't warrant generalizing to everyone.

"Amount of pixels" is a very, very poor measure of quality.
Wheels of Aurelia pushes millions more pixels on Pro than Horizon Zero Dawn, does that mean it's better? If Uncharted 4 and Life of Black Tiger push the same number, are they equivalent?

Besides that, your point relies on a situation that doesn't exist, where we can't tell the difference between native and non-native techniques. We can, easily. Even if we ignore its other faults, your argument is at best premature.

you realize that you're making my point right?

Take NBA 2K17 being native 4K at the same settings as it is on PS4 in 1080P , it's nice that they was able to get the game to run in native 4K but they could have also used a cheaper technique & made the game look better then it does on PS4 while still having a 4K output.

1080p/60 is pretty much the maximum possible on PS4 so you can have that and still some power to spare as you've already reached peak possible mode. It's not in the least surprising that this can be pushed to 4K/60 on twice more powerful h/w.

The Division is 1080p/30 on PS4 though and that makes things quite a bit more interesting.
But there's simply not anything novel about that. If 60fps muddies the issue for you, there are other examples to hand: Elder Scrolls Online is 1080p30 on standard, and 2160p30 on Pro. Shadow of Mordor is 1080p30 on standard, and (pretty much) 2160p30 on Pro. And other games are like this too.

you realize that you're making my point right?
I don't "realize" that, because it's not happening. You said this:

4k native vs 4K using a different technique that still = the same number of pixels is not the same as 60fps vs 30fps....

The end result is the same amount of pixels so if you are not able to see if the full frame was created in the traditional way...they are saying almost the same thing.
Both of those statements only make sense if having the same amount of pixels is important. Otherwise why mention the number of pixels at all?

But if you didn't mean to say that, then we may agree.

Take NBA 2K17 being native 4K at the same settings as it is on PS4 in 1080P , it's nice that they was able to get the game to run in native 4K but they could have also used a cheaper technique & made the game look better then it does on PS4 while still having a 4K output.
A couple points here: first, you can't say with any authority what they could achieve by rebalancing their targets. It's quite possible the resources freed up by approximations on resolution wouldn't be the right kind, or the right scheduling, to allow changes elsewhere. Second, CBR, geometry rendering, and accumulation techniques all produce visual tradeoffs versus native rendering: artifacts, overblend, ghosting, or blurred surfaces. These could degrade the enhancements to other effects, making the change pointless.

But finally and most importantly, your whole argument is based on a hypothetical situation that does not in fact exist. "...If you are not able to see if the full frame was created in the traditional way...." But we can see, especially in motion. So this premise is invalid.

dr_rus

But there's simply not anything novel about that. If 60fps muddies the issue for you, there are other examples to hand: Elder Scrolls Online is 1080p30 on standard, and 2160p30 on Pro. Shadow of Mordor is 1080p30 on standard, and (pretty much) 2160p30 on Pro. And other games are like this too.

These are last gen games basically. I wonder if they are running at 30 fps on the OG PS4 because of the CPU? Again, bad examples. The Division is a truly next gen game with graphics which is up there with the best examples of the previous year.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Damn that was fast. Awesome job NX.

Native 4K Division. Hell yes.

Only a handful of titles left that could really use Pro Patches.

Battlefield 4 (solid framerste in boost mode but 900p needs a boost)

Battlefront (same deal)

Nathan Drake Collection(actually surprised this wasn't native 4K+HDR at launch)

Until Dawn

Bloodborne

GTAV

Dying Light Enhanced Edition

R6S

And I think that's it really. As far as games that would benefit greatly. Love seeing older titles get support. Really helps these games out a ton.

PS... CDPR please reconsider a resolution bump for Wild Hunt. Pro players deserve the Transformitive effect 1440p has on that game.

Pjsprojects

Wow! I can't run the game maxed at 4k on my PC and did start a PS4 character so now the push to buy a Pro is to much...

It was Native 1080 on XB1 and didn't have any issues or cutbacks on that platform at all.

I am not that surprised it had enough overhead on Pro to hit 4k. Matmatically I think PS4 Pro is close to 4 times a Xbox1

GazzaGSi

It was Native 1080 on XB1 and didn't have any issues or cutbacks on that platform at all.

I am not that surprised it had enough overhead on Pro to hit 4k. Matmatically I think PS4 Pro is close to 4 times a Xbox1

Dynamic,

As before, the main point of separation between consoles comes down to resolution. PS4 permanently runs at native 1080p, while Xbox One operates using dynamic resolution scaling, which sees pixel quality reduced in more complex scenes. For example, outdoor areas tend to operate at 1792x1008 and 1728x972, with the engine switching back to native 1080p when moving indoors or into less detailed environments

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-division-face-off

Unless if it got an update that I missed.

These are last gen games basically. I wonder if they are running at 30 fps on the OG PS4 because of the CPU? Again, bad examples. The Division is a truly next gen game with graphics which is up there with the best examples of the previous year.
It's tangential to the point how good the graphics are in those games. Yes, they're less demanding...but if that means it's easy for them to hit 2160p30 on Pro, why are they only 1080p30 on standard PS4? It's almost half as powerful, so why only a quarter the performance?

The answer--whether it's specifically the CPU, or the RAM bandwidth, or something else--is that there was likely a bottleneck. The rise in headroom on Pro relieved that bottleneck, allowing full usage of some other resources that had been underutilized. (We know The Division had such room to grow, since it was also [about] 1080p30 on Xbox One.)

Gojeran

Tried it out last night and instantly knew it was being down sampled because the image was so clean. The second and more telling way was that my pro sounded like a jet while playing which it's never done before lol. Confirmed this morning by NX gamer. Nice job massive/ubi.

Carlius

Banned
damn yo, as a pc gamer i am impressed its native 4k and the division is a looker, its not just any game. good for the ps4 pro. i just want more people to like this awesome game, the new patch is nice, love the 8v8

I want to give this game another shot now, but I haven't played since soon after launch.

How much DLC do I need to buy for my game to be relevant now? I have totally lost track of what they have released.

Kalentan

Never say never. They did Assassins creed twice. Bizarre that they wouldn't make RB6 one of the first though.

Or did they confirm no pro patch for it?

Last I checked they said they have no plans which is so bizzare.

Feel like it should be mandatory for all 'games-as-services' type of games.

EL CUCO

I want to give this game another shot now, but I haven't played since soon after launch.

How much DLC do I need to buy for my game to be relevant now? I have totally lost track of what they have released.
None of it. The only thing locked behind DLC are new activities, but all loot is available to everyone and can be found anywhere. This isn't like in Destiny where they make vanilla content irrelevant. Might take longer to matchmake on base content, depending on your region and time tho.

dr_rus

Wait, the game is 1080p/30 on both PS4 and XBO? If yes then things are getting a bit clearer...

None of it. The only thing locked behind DLC are new activities, but all loot is available to everyone and can be found anywhere. This isn't like in Destiny where they make vanilla content irrelevant. Might take longer to matchmake on base content, depending on your region and time tho.

Good to know, thanks. I would probably end up wanting to do those new activities eventually anyway but I guess it's good I can at least try out the base game again as is.

elelunicy

Native 4k? Very nice for those with a PS4 Pro. Meanwhile the vast majority of PC players still play games like this at low resolutions like 1440p or lower lol

EL CUCO

Good to know, thanks. I would probably end up wanting to do those new activities eventually anyway but I guess it's good I can at least try out the base game again as is.
If you're looking, they've released 3 different packs. Survival is great imo. It's essentially a battle royale game type where you and 23 others start from scratch and gear up as you go.

Last Stand just released yesterday and includes a normalized objective based 8v8 PVP mode and the best Incursion yet. Underground is randomized dungeons and an Incursion.

I think each can be purchased separately for $15.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Initially PS4 Pro's enhancements seemed a bit bolted on, now we're finally seeing games start to push the system. Definitely gives me hope for future titles.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Initially PS4 Pro's enhancements seemed a bit bolted on, now we're finally seeing games start to push the system. Definitely gives me hope for future titles.

Yep. It really shows that the Pro is a whole another level.

That said it mentions Syndicate. I thought the Pro Patch on that was terible. Was it improved through a second patch?

Top Bottom