• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division's DLC has 30-day timed exclusivity on Xbox One.

Tovarisc

It's just DLC.

Do people actually care about this?

People do care, yes. Especially if DLC is heavy with story stuff like Division DLC has potential to be and don't want it spoiled month before being able to play it thanks to timed exclusivity bs.

Lucifon

I guess that means I am buying this on XBONE!

Pftttttttttttt who am i kidding!? Who would want it on xbone!! (other than if that's your only option)

803929ecb9179dd8ac2864079d9224a6.jpg

Buying rights to have DLC first! Wonder if it will be a successful move!

Own a PS4, XB1 and gaming PC. Getting this on Xbox One. It's where my buddies will be. Bonus - the digital cost from the Argentina store is awesome. It's my no1 platform choice to play the game on personally for a number of reasons.

That said, I wish this 30 day exclusive dlc stuff would stop. A month is a long-time in the gaming world, not enough to sway a platform choice but enough to be v.irritating.

LAA

Gutsy move to do this imo with Sony's lead. Not sure it's the best idea to risk alienating potentially the biggest fanbase. I think this effect can happen to wherever theres an exclusivity period on something. I sincerly doubt the move actually gets people to switch consoles for it, or if they own both (Like me), convinces them to get on Xbox instead (Still PS4 for me if I do).
Obviously I presume MS paid Ubisoft for this, but still. I guess MS saw this as their rival to Destiny's exclusive content on PS, (Which I must admit is bad for Xbox owners), can only presume Sony paid a HELL of a lot, Bungie wanted to screw MS(?), or just bad planning.

But yeah, fed up of exclusive content of all kinds tbh. Retailer, platform, pre-order can all go.

Lima

I can get the gold edition for 42€ on Xbox or pay 99€ on PS4. Yeah I know where I will buy the game.

WadeitOut

Gutsy move to do this imo with Sony's lead. Not sure it's the best idea to risk alienating potentially the biggest fanbase. I think this effect can happen to wherever theres an exclusivity period on something. I sincerly doubt the move actually gets people to switch consoles for it, or if they own both (Like me), convinces them to get on Xbox instead (Still PS4 for me if I do).
Obviously I presume MS paid Ubisoft for this, but still. I guess MS saw this as their rival to Destiny's exclusive content on PS, (Which I must admit is bad for Xbox owners), can only presume Sony paid a HELL of a lot, Bungie wanted to screw MS(?), or just bad planning.

But yeah, fed up of exclusive content of all kinds tbh. Retailer, platform, pre-order can all go.

You do realize a ton of third party games have done timed exclusive DLC right? This isn't a Destiny/Division thing.

Frabba

Neo Member
I feel like this kind of short duration DLC exclusivity matters more for games like CoD. Personally this doesn't move the needle at all for me.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I wouldve still bought it for the Xbox if DLC came out on PS4 first. Its an online game. Good luck playing this during all the PSN outages

PC SON! PC!!!!!!!!

and ps4 too probably since I expect it to be cheap on PC with the video card pack in's!

I have a xbox one but it just sits there since no one I know has it.. AS SUCH I Will be waiting for 30 days for DLC! :D

We already new about this, but is going to hurt when they release the meaty DLC, at least is not one year like Tomb Raider.

cakely

Microsoft paid money to prevent other platforms from having content for 30 days?

It stings a little, but I will get over it. I wonder if they will get their money's worth.

WadeitOut

Serious question. Do we actually have any sort of evidence that it isn't the publisher themselves reaching out to Microsoft/Sony about marketing deals like this? Or does everyone just assume Phil Spencer sends Ubisoft an Edible Arrangement to woo them?

Microsoft paid money to prevent other platforms from having content for 30 days?

It stings a little, but I will get over it. I wonder if they will get their money's worth.

As opposed to Sony paying Activision for COD DLC because Black Ops 3 wouldn't get developed if they hadn't...?

30 day exclusive >>>>>>>>>>>>> yearly exclusive shit like destiny

especially when it's content that helps fill the main game up with things to do.

And yet, that yearly exclusive content is one weapon, one MP map and one strike. Expansions were always released at the same time on both platforms.

I'm all against timed exclusive content in any game, but in a game like this, it's silly to withhold content, especially when it's the actual full expansion and not just some random weapon or skin.

It's still a shitty practice, but in that comparison of yours, I feel that Destiny handles this better.

LifEndz

30 days? That's not bad at all. I thought it'd be like the deal Bungie has with Sony. I can wait a few weeks.

killroy87

And yet, that yearly exclusive content is one weapon, one MP map and one strike. Expansions were always released at the same time on both platforms.

I'm all against timed exclusive content in any game, but in a game like this, it's silly to withhold content, especialy when it's the actual full expansion and not just some random weapon or skin.

It's still a shitty practice, but in that comparison of yours, I feel that Destiny handles this better.

Yeah, but each of those expansions also had exclusive weapons, maps, and strikes, didn't they?

AngerdX

If it was like destiny and it was some extra stuff i wouldn´t be bothered, but this seems to be all content in season pass, so we get to get spoiled on all story content for 30 damn days, pisses me right off.

Serious question. Do we actually have any sort of evidence that it isn't the publisher themselves reaching out to Microsoft/Sony about marketing deals like this? Or does everyone just assume Phil Spencer sends Ubisoft an Edible Arrangement to woo them?

Well, if it was the publisher initiating this why would they seek a marketing deal with the weakest performing platform?

Liamario

Banned
I don't understand the point of these sort of exclusives. The amount of people who'll choose the xbox version due to this has to be minimal.

Are we talking the larger content releases? If so, this puts me on the fence again with this game. While some are citing Destiny and Playstation, it was a few things here and there that were exclusive and not the content at large.There were legitimate arguments to be made about price of the content such as TDB and HOW. Now imagine if those expansions came out in January and June instead of December and May on Xbox One.

WadeitOut

Well, if it was the publisher initiating this why would they seek a marketing deal with the weakest performing platform?

Because they could essentially reach out to them for bidding to see who will pay more?

And because the difference in console sales generally don't correlate directly to attachment ratios of games like this.

Proxy

The deal was most likely made before any systems were even on sale. Going forward you're not likely to see anything like this again (at least not from Ubisoft).

Tovarisc

If it was like destiny and it was some extra stuff i wouldn´t be bothered, but this seems to be all content in season pass, so we get to get spoiled on all story content for 30 damn days, pisses me right off.

Bolded part is also my issue with this thing. I can either abandon Division OT's moment DLC starts to drop or get spoiled on all upcoming story 30 days before I get to experience it myself :(

Really? I could have sworn XBL was down just as much if not more than PSN in 2015.

It was, but somehow or another people are utterly convinced that PSN is down 24/7 somewhere and never works.

Xbox Live goes down several times in a month (like it did in December 2015)? No big deal, it almost never happens.

PSN goes down in January for a couple hours after having been up for basically 6 months solid? We pay for this shit! Unacceptable! It's never up! Why doesn't Sony spent some of that PS+ $ on better infrastructure? etc etc etc

WadeitOut

I don't understand the point of these sort of exclusives. The amount of people who'll choose the xbox version due to this has to be minimal.

People, the timed DLC is something that comes as an incentive for the marketing deal. Microsoft pays for the marketing, the publishers throws in a bonus.

Yeah, but each of those expansions also had exclusive weapons, maps, and strikes, didn't they?

Yup. Over the course of the year and into the latest Destiny expansion it really added up, yet everything cost the same on XB1 and 360 even without the content. Pretty dirty compared to timed exclusive content which you are allowed to pay for and play 30 days later.

Alpende

I don't even care. When I had a 360 they had this for CoD DLC, now PS4 has CoD DLC earlier and I still don't care.

What's 30 days anyway?

BibiMaghoo

I do wonder at these 30 day exclusivity periods. I mean, they are surely aimed at only the most hardcore fans, as these are the only people really guaranteed to purchase in the first 30 days or swayed by a 30 day advantage. The majority won't really care surely? And that makes me wonder if it is really worth their efforts. Perhaps it is cheap enough that that is all they need to get from the deal.

I don't get why all these companies love hurting their brand image for a little money. The long term effects aren't worth it. Square Enix\Crystal Dynamics, Ubisoft, etc etc etc...

I wouldve still bought it for the Xbox if DLC came out on PS4 first. Its an online game. Good luck playing this during all the PSN outages

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 this fucking guy

Are Xbox fanboys still trying to spin this narrative ?

Yes, but the expansion itself, the story related content, was available at the same time. The character progression didn't suffered from that timed exclusive content. Can you say the same with the MS/The Division deal?

But like I said, timed exclusive content is a shitty practice regardless of the game or platform.

Yup. I would ignore users like this, but they provide a nice comic relief once in a while.

I feel its important to call out posters who post blatant, disengous, fanboyish bullshit/fud just so others will know what kind of poster they are dealing with in the future. And some posters genuinely dont realize how their posts come across and will more carefully consider what they post in the future after its pointed out.
On topic, I already bought this on ps4 because I greatly prefer the ds4 over the xbox one controller. I also dont have xbox live gold. So the dlc being xbox one exclusive for thirty days doesn't bother me.
I will get an xbox live gold trial and give the open beta a try on xbox one however.

Top Bottom