• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forest Early Access Thread - Run Forest Run

I realize that.

But I would have at least expected a solid foundation to be laid to work upon. Games like Assetto Corsa and Starbound are examples of Early Access games that give you faith that the end product is going to be great.

I'm not getting that vibe here. It feels quite questionable to me.

I understand the concern.

Given that they released it so early it could lead one to believe they might be having issues with funding perhaps? it could explain why it was released in such an early state.

To wet our appetites while getting money to finish it and use us as testers (Dev team is made up of only 4 people after all).

Edit: phantomspiker beat me to it.

Cerity

The game has laid a very, very solid foundation for itself. It's just still in very early alpha stages.

Mutants are great, how they climb and jump from tree to tree is fantastic. If you get spotted and manage to escape, they'll sit there for the rest of the night just yelling unintelligible sounds at each other, communicating. That or my game was bugging up and random noises were being played at night.

Rest of it will come in due time, this will be a game where I'll definitely be waiting on each update. I would really love it if there were different groups of mutants on the island and if you could mess with their effigies/territory to start wars or something.

Got attacked earlier and brought back to a cave. When I woke up inside the cave I found a different axe model (one similar to the trailers) and I also found a flare gun.

RulkezX

I realize that.

But I would have at least expected a solid foundation to be laid to work upon. Games like Assetto Corsa and Starbound are examples of Early Access games that give you faith that the end product is going to be great.

I'm not getting that vibe here. It feels quite questionable to me.

It's easily the roughest and most barebones EA I've bought into. I don't see the "solid base" people here are. It feels like they've just got it running and thrown it on EA. With just 4 guys working on it I imagine it's gonna be a pretty slow development.

I broke the game earlier, to my benefit. If you hold a natives dismembered arm and walk through bushes it actually cuts them all down just by walking.

I also had an axe in my hand and picked up a flare gun only to have another axe and flare gun pop out of me onto the ground. basically giving me two of them

Condemned

Banned
I was about to buy this on Steam earlier. But ive heard there is a gamebreaking save bug. Does anyone know if thats been patched yet?

Thanks.

Pachimari

I broke the game earlier, to my benefit. If you hold a natives dismembered arm and walk through bushes it actually cuts them all down just by walking.

I also had an axe in my hand and picked up a flare gun only to have another axe and flare gun pop out of me onto the ground. basically giving me two of them

Heh:

i8l5fe1XwSQZe.png

I was about to buy this on Steam earlier. But ive heard there is a gamebreaking save bug. Does anyone know if thats been patched yet?

Thanks.
Haven't been patched yet.

Grief.exe

From everything I've read, this game sounds extremely rough. And not very good looking either, going by the screens.

I was hoping for a game that seemed to set a really solid ground, but it sounds like the ground is both literally and metaphorically a bit wonky.

I disagree, I think the game looks great and has a solid base going forward.

To be honest, they really only need to fix the save issue and the enemy despawn, then The Forest will have quite a lot of content going forward.

Pachimari

I see you got the bountiful harvest too lol

Oh, that's not me. I quoted RK9039. :)

Anyway, I feel I have tried everything this alpha have to offer besides spoiler:
finding my son
- I shouldn't have been curious reading a spoiler in the first place hehe.

Do anyone know how to catch rabbits alive? Or I assume that's not implemented yet correct?

nick nacc

Banned
I got a feeling this will be one of the definitive oculus titles. This would be terrifying with thy level of immersion.
talking out of my ass I still haven't used oculus

Sh1ner

The trailers look amazing graphically, I got everything set to the highest setttings, any reason my game doesn't look as good?

Did these fuckers pull a watchdogs on me?

I've been playing for a few rounds and am really loving it.

So bummed about saves not working though.

I found the PERFECT home base spot. Right next to a river that emptied into the ocean, there was a nicely sized plateau. This area dropped off into the water with a steep cliff protecting from see invasions, and had a tall cliff wall along the back protecting from ground invasions. The only way there was through a narrow path along the river.

I built a temporary shelter, a hunting shelter, a large campfire, a garden, a door, some walls, and was halfway finished with the cabin before I had to exit the game.

Pachimari

I wonder if you have to bait the trap.
Oh might be yeah.

I've been playing for a few rounds and am really loving it.

So bummed about saves not working though.

I found the PERFECT home base spot. Right next to a river that emptied into the ocean, there was a nicely sized plateau. This area dropped off into the water with a steep cliff protecting from see invasions, and had a tall cliff wall along the back protecting from ground invasions. The only way there was through a narrow path along the river.

I built a temporary shelter, a hunting shelter, a large campfire, a garden, a door, some walls, and was halfway finished with the cabin before I had to exit the game.
What can we even use the garden for? I guess plant in a later alpha build.

Oh might be yeah.

What can we even use the garden for? I guess plant in a later alpha build.

I'm assuming so.

It sure didn't do anything on its own hahaha.

Also if anyone wants to find the plateau area I'm talking about, here are some directions:

If your plane crashes on the beach, then just go left and follow the shore for a few minutes. It's impossible to miss, since you'll hit a river when you get there.

If your plane crashes on the the rocky hill with the river in front of you, then just take that river to the right until you hit the ocean.

ref

Game is pretty fun, I got a question though: is the lighter bugged or something? Doesn't seem to illuminate very much at all.

Game is pretty fun, I got a question though: is the lighter bugged or something? Doesn't seem to illuminate very much at all.

They probably shouldn't put off that much light, the flame isn't that big. You can find flashlights in the game, but they are kinda rare.

I'm assuming so.

It sure didn't do anything on its own hahaha.

Also if anyone wants to find the plateau area I'm talking about, here are some directions:

If your plane crashes on the beach, then just go left and follow the shore for a few minutes. It's impossible to miss, since you'll hit a river when you get there.

If your plane crashes on the the rocky hill with the river in front of you, then just take that river to the right until you hit the ocean.
You put leaves in the garden and shit grows. I had two blueberry bushes grow in mine, never had any food problems after that hahahaha.

Achievements/Trading Cards coming down the line for The Forest

ztqmpKR.png

Need to find out the usages for effigies

BfvemQM.png

All I know is that after I made that small one, when the night came up, I had about 5-6 cannibals on my ass like I never saw before. All attacking almost at the same time, being aggressive as hell. So I'm thinking the small one antagonize them, which might means their patrols will put more focus around it.

While the bigger one might scare them off?

All I know is that after I made that small one, when the night came up, I had about 5-6 cannibals on my ass like I never saw before. All attacking almost at the same time, being aggressive as hell. So I'm thinking the small one antagonize them, which might means their patrols will put more focus around it.

Use the smaller one to bait them then. Build it away from your camp so they swarm to it?

Grief.exe

I think this is true.

The first night they came to my camp, mostly to inspect what I had done. I picked them off one by one and built the small effigy.

Second night they came again, this time with more.

owlbeak

So is saving just not implemented right now or is it a bug? I was so pumped to get this game, but I'm going to hold off until saving works, at least.

Gnub

Will there be a peaceful mode?
Yes. You will be able to play the game as a more traditional survival/exploration simulator, with the horror elements effectively disabled.

Is this in the game yet?

I watched a youtube video of someone starting the game and was totally into it until
mutants and what looked like fast zombies started jumping out of trees and shit! After seeing that I just knew spiders would be next and I don't fuck with spiders at all
. Instant "nope" reaction out of me.

Is this in the game yet?

I watched a youtube video of someone starting the game and was totally into it until
mutants and what looked like fast zombies started jumping out of trees and shit! After seeing that I just knew spiders would be next and I don't fuck with spiders at all
. Instant "nope" reaction out of me.

Not it isn't.

I don't think spiders would fit in this game though.

red731

I was brought to the cave when I was all "YOLO" for the first encounter on the hill. Canibal hit me sending flying over the ground like 10 meters away.

In cave, there was better axe than the airplane one and flare gun.
Slowly crawling with lighther on - 3 canis - I wanted to axe then to death, but the axe model I saw was flaregun. So it was like flareflareflareflare fire everywhere, but the axe was the model for flare gun.

I will wait two weeks for another update, but this game seems promising.

you can tell this game will be really really friggin good if they can manage to get all the ideas they want into the game..right now in it's state it's very broken but even in this state the game is so fun - can't wait for the save hot fix

also

curious to see what other types of tribes they'll add in.

Korten

Banned
Damn, I really wan to play but got no monies. D:

Watching let's play and it looks like a bucket load of fun and horror. :D

YuShtink

Bought this just a bit earlier, know about the save bug and only played a couple minutes. I'm really more interested in playing a peaceful mode, not interested in being constantly attacked every night. But oh well I figure I might as well go ahead and get it now if I'm going to get it a little later anyway. Hopefully that mode gets patched in soon, and I can help give some feedback for the other mode in the meantime. Going to give it a good look a little bit later tonight, I'll report back.

sunnz

Fighting the cannibals is pretty awesome ( outside of them tanking hits)

The way they flee when in danger and climb trees or leap large distances just looks so cool, as well as how they try to flank you and go around you.

Game needs A LOT of content before I would recommended it to anyone else, content ranging from building options, food, hunting and so on to general fixes ( like how rabbit meat seems broken, sleeping issues and so on)

Personally it was worth it and I really am enjoying it, Just wish they hurry up with the save fix so I can play properly!!

Lingxor

I was scrounging around for supplies in what I thought was an abandoned village when I turned to see a cannibal just staring at me less than 20 feet away...

My skin crawled.

Rembrandt

Banned
Definitely time to upgrade my graphics card since I almost have to put everything on low/laptop.
Is the first encounter off the plane optional? I tried running, but one followed regardless so I attacked and was sent to the cave.

I was scrounging around for supplies in what I thought was an abandoned village when I turned to see a cannibal just staring at me less than 20 feet away...

My skin crawled.

Similiar thing happened to me but on the beach, I was minding trying to cut some trees down and I walked back toward the plane and there they were...loving this game so far but definitely gonna wait til they release that save hotfix before I dive in deeper.

that happened to me to but when i just started the game i saw a massive group of cannibals maybe 8 of them walking somewhere and another four behind the plane... i thought they were flanking me so i went back inside the airplane hall so i don't have to be paranoid about my left or right side being attacked lol

My skin crawled.
The cannibals are one of my favorite enemies in any game, even at such an early stage the way that they act is just downright creepy. They way they just stare at you from afar, run at you like they are about to attack and then just stop, then run off, only to stare and circle you from afar again.

Earlier I got into a fight with 3, one of them a female. The female attacked me first, so I beat her up pretty bad, to the point where she actually ran off. I proceeded to fight the other two guys, while checking my back to see if she came back for more, no sign of her. Killed one of the guys, started beating the crap out of the other before he tried to run away. Unlike the girl, I actually chased him, and he eventually stopped, turned around and screamed at me, and attacked. After I killed him, I went back to my camp and tried to cook something, when all of a sudden I hear footsteps, turn around and its the chick from earlier coming back for revenge!

She didn't run off and despawn or forget about me, no, she ran off and waited for an opportunity to surprise me. Crazy stuff.

Oh and when they decide to start climbing trees :O. I really can't wait to see how they push their A.I. even further, as well as other enemy types.

Top Bottom