• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

How is Tomodachi Life considered a "Family" game? It's the most solitary experience I can imagine. You play it for a few minutes at a time.

I'm a bit miffed. No MLB the Show in Best Sports? I thought it was pretty fantastic. Maybe I'm just blinded by my love of the sport.

The fact that Threes! is in the best mobile/handheld also really disappoints me. That's one of the best they could come up with for that area?

5) I don't understand Developer of the Year and Game of the Year. Game of the Year is supposed to be the best game of the year, so wouldn't the developer that made the best game of the year be awarded developer of the year? Because you have Nintendo and Ubisoft Montreal up there - and they didn't make any of the games on the GOTY list. So if they win, wouldn't that mean they made the best game of the year (which I'd guess would be Super Smash or Far Cry 4 in these cases). Or if there are other things that contribute to what makes a game of the year winner different from a developer of the year winner, then it should be clarified on the website.

Developers can make more than one game. More than 1 good game > 1 goty

How is Tomodachi Life considered a "Family" game? It's the most solitary experience I can imagine. You play it for a few minutes at a time.

The adverts paint it as very much a "look Mum, I put you in the game and look at this silly thing you're doing!" type of thing. That's probably why.

shamanick

I'm a bit miffed. No MLB the Show in Best Sports? I thought it was pretty fantastic. Maybe I'm just blinded by my love of the sport.

The fact that Threes! is in the best mobile/handheld also really disappoints me. That's one of the best they could come up with for that area?

Critics were falling all over themselves over Threes early this year. Tons of articles were written about it and they talked about it on Twitter constantly. Personally, I didn't get the hype.

Nanashrew

Banned
I honestly do not want Ubisoft to win developer of the year because I don't feel they deserve it. Outside of Child of Light and Valiant Hearts, the games have been terribly mediocre or just plain broken. I hope the recent AC: Unity weighs heavily on the judges minds.

Bass260

This is even worst than last year. Best remaster? Best uh...eSports team?

The biggest crime is all the handheld games lumped into one category.

wildfire

Banned
5) I don't understand Developer of the Year and Game of the Year. Game of the Year is supposed to be the best game of the year, so wouldn't the developer that made the best game of the year be awarded developer of the year? Because you have Nintendo and Ubisoft Montreal up there - and they didn't make any of the games on the GOTY list. So if they win, wouldn't that mean they made the best game of the year (which I'd guess would be Super Smash or Far Cry 4 in these cases). Or if there are other things that contribute to what makes a game of the year winner different from a developer of the year winner, then it should be clarified on the website.

So a dev should be judged for one game instead of the entire body of their work? No thank you.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So, my thoughts.

1) It's probably best to change the way the fan-voted categories are displayed. Shoving a big Uncharted 4 in someone's face, or a big whatever is up top at the time, might have an effect on voters. And honestly, given the huge amount of big games coming next year and this being a special category, I don't think it'd hurt to open it up to more than five entries. That way people would be voting for what they're actually looking forward to most rather than what they have to because what they want isn't there.

2) Putting both versions of Super Smash Bros. games in the same category probably isn't very efficient.

3) Have you seen Danganronpa? It should be on that narrative or handheld list!

4) I'm not sure I'd call Pokemon ORAS a remaster. It's a remake, which IMO is completely different.

I think it's more about overall output. If a developer put out say 5-6 great games but none of them quite made it into the Goty, there's no reason why that shouldn't be recognised. If they were looking at different criteria's for each category then there's no purpose for both categories to exist. Granted you could argue against that decision but I understand why they did it that way.

Critics were falling all over themselves over Threes early this year. Tons of articles were written about it and they talked about it on Twitter constantly. Personally, I didn't get the hype.
I mean I played it and I played the clones (2048). It's a fun time-waster, but to say it's the best mobile (or handhelds) had to offer this year is disappointing as hell. There has to be something more meaningful than that title. I guess no one played it and it's a previously published title, but I'm a bit sad that Danganronpa 2 couldn't have Threes! spot.

Ryoku

You seem really concerned about the PS4 lineup.

I'm so sorry if it seems that way.

Your post doesn't really make any sense. You're speaking as if the resources used to port these games are about the same as making a new IP or sequel. Anyways, have you looked at the 2015 lineup? There's a lot of new games (especially new IPs) coming out in the first half of the year.

We don't much about 2nd half of the 2015 lineup yet, but Zelda U, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, Persona 5, Tomb Raider, and Xenoblade are some of the new games that's likely/confirmed so far.

Nah, you're right. I think I'm just a bit stale at the idea of old games still receiving rewards. I just feel as if they have had their time to shine already.

JNA

Banned
The biggest crime is all the handheld games lumped into one category.

I know right? This year we have had PLENTY of both handheld and mobile games that they both can easily serve as their own category.

And Danganronpa would STILL not be up there because the Press has no taste whatsoever. :(

shamanick

I mean I played it and I played the clones (2048). It's a fun time-waster, but to say it's the best mobile (or handhelds) had to offer this year is disappointing as hell. There has to be something more meaningful than that title. I guess no one played it and it's a previously published title, but I'm a bit sad that Danganronpa 2 couldn't have Threes! spot.

I don't disagree (although I haven't played Danganronpa), just trying to add why I thought Threes made the list.

salromano

So a dev should be judged for one game instead of the entire body of their work? No thank you.

I think it's more about overall output. If a developer put out say 5-6 great games but none of them quite made it into the Goty, there's no reason why that shouldn't be recognised. If they were looking at different criteria's for each category then there's no purpose for both categories to exist. Granted you could argue against that decision but I understand why they did it that way.

Yeah, I already realized number five was a bad bullet (look below). You're quoting the pre-edit post. =P

*face-palms self for not thinking*

Thanks for that.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The saddest thing is that Bayonetta 2 can win GOTY and since it's not a mainstream event like the VGAs were, it will still sell at normal Platinum levels and we'll never get Bayo 3 :(

Gartooth

Donkey Kong getting completely snubbed from these awards is a load of bullshit. I expected that at least David Wise's music would get nominated for best soundtrack, but it isn't even there compared to other games I've played on that list with completely forgettable soundtracks. Also somehow it lost out to the likes of Skylanders and Disney Infinity for a nomination in best family game... really? -_-

molnizzle

Best Fan Creation
Twitch Plays Pokémon
Luigi Death Stare
BEST Zelda Rap EVER!!
Minecraft – TITAN City
Mine the Diamond (Minecraft Song)​

Trending Gamer
Jeff Gerstmann
TotalBiscuit
PewDiePie
Evan "Vanoss" Fong
StampyLongHead​

eSports Team of the Year
Evil Genuises
Ninjas in Pajamas
Samsung White
Newbee
Edward Gaming​

eSports Player of the Year
Matt "NaDeSHoT" Haag
Xu "Fy" Linsen
Christopher "GeT_RiGhT" Alesund
Martin "Rekkles" Larsson
James "Firebat" Kostesich​

Most Anticipated Game
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Bloodborne
Batman: Arkham Knight
Evolve​

Bricky

If we're basing this on the general public here then why is Bayonetta 2 there?

So?

There are plenty of movies that are up for plenty of awards that many people have not see or heard of? It's awards for "best", not what's "most popular".

If Oscars had this kind of logic, Transformers would win best motion picture every year.

Indeed. Sadly, baby steps. :(

Thing is, the Oscars usually don't nominate obscure indie movies either. Danganronpa might get a lot of love on GAF, but there is no other place I'd have ever heard about it. Doesn't help that it's on the Vita either, for obvious reasons.

Bayonetta might not do Call of Duty numbers, but it's still a sequel to a relatively well-known AAA-ish title.

E: Oh, and Danganronpa is a visual novel of course. You can't get much more 'I don't want people to have ever heard about me' than that.

megalowho

Developer of the Year always struck me as analogous to Most Improved Player of the Year, in that the criteria is subjective and can change from year to year depending on the nominees. The overall story of a studio and what they contributed to the medium is more important to me than "X and Y were released in 2014 and had high Metacritic scores" or as a runner up prize for a GOTY nominee.

Kouriozan

At least there is no Remaster in GOTY.
Pretty solid list, I would argue about best OST (David Wise T-T) but it's fine, I guess.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think indies should be segregated like they are in the list. I think they should be spread out among the other categories and even fill in missing categories. Where is the platformer genre? You could have Donkey Kong in there next to Shovel Knight or Shantae and many more.

damn this year was piss poor looking at the GOTY nominees. the only one that belongs is dragon age.

now compare to 2013 where we had
last of Us (arguably the best game of the ps3 era)
bioshock infinite
GTA5
Mario 3d world
Tomb Raider

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze should be under Best Soundtrack and Game of the Year catagories. Its disappointing its been completely ignored.

Top Bottom