• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
WAIT I JUST REALIZED TROPICAL FREEZE IS NOT IN THE BEST SCORE NOMINATIONS
GEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

Mr.Fusion

Donkey Kong getting completely snubbed from these awards is a load of bullshit. I expected that at least David Wise's music would get nominated for best soundtrack, but it isn't even there compared to other games I've played on that list with completely forgettable soundtracks. Also somehow it lost out to the likes of Skylanders and Disney Infinity for a nomination in best family game... really? -_-

Donkey Kong not getting nominated for best soundtrack is baffling.

Hindl

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze should be under Best Soundtrack and Game of the Year catagories. Its disappointing its been completely ignored.

My thoughts exactly. At least it should be in Best Soundtrack. Everything else is good aside from that omission

Lingitiz

That GOTY category should be interesting. IMO Bayonetta 2 was on another level from those games, but curious how the media will vote.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
That GOTY category should be interesting. IMO Bayonetta 2 was on another level from those games, but curious how the media will vote.

The Bayo 2 nomination is just a formality, the GOTY prize will go to a "safe" choice, aka every other one.

TEJ

It's not like this awards show matters to me in the long run

It's just that DKCTF is one of the kind of games i'll remember fondly 20 years from now like how I still remember SMW and sonic 2. To see it get snubbed like this.....

molnizzle

How about odds on Kevin Spacey not winning if he very likely doesn't attend the events, and because he very likely doesn't give a shit?

I dunno, it's not like he just phoned it in with his role. He did all the performance capture himself and apparently did a solid job (I haven't play it). It wouldn't surprise me if he showed up.

Keep in mind that Dark Souls II was first revealed at the VGA's by Jessica Alba. (lol)

Regiruler

if bayo 2 is on the game of the year list,why isn't platinum on the best developer one?

It's probably being treated as a Nintendo title in that regard, to better even the playing field.

I'd argue it's fair because Nintendo was very closely involved with development.

Timeaisis

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze should be under Best Soundtrack and Game of the Year catagories. Its disappointing its been completely ignored.

Infamous was snubbed from every category as well, which tells me that they completely forgot about the games released in the first half of the year. Except DSII. Because reasons.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with the GOTY list overall. To me, Mordor was OK, but not incredible. Same with Hearthstone. More deserving would've been Wolfenstein, DKTF, and MK8, to me. But to each their own, I guess. I haven't played enough DA:I to know where I stand on it at the moment. Bayo 2 and DSII are pretty obvious choices, though.

I think the worst snub is to David Wise's soundtrack for Tropical Freeze, which is the best game soundtrack in many years.

Lunar15

I mean, I'd also throw a bone to Smash for best soundtrack too, what with over 400 songs on it. But I'll let that slide I guess.

Other than DK:TF being completely absent, everything looks fine to me.

Oh, and Bravely Default is garbage. Shouldn't be nominated for anything, but it was a pretty light year for handhelds.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Games for change"? What is that?

I think it's basically a "most new/different direction for gaming." It's not exactly "most innovative," but more so "shifting things in a different direction."

Like Mountain is a game where you get a randomly generated mountain and watch it grow and change without interacting with it.

Game of the Year nominations are a little hit or miss for me, but damn is it nice to see Bayonetta 2 getting that kind of recognition. Would love to see it win.

JayEH

Legit shook by that GoTY list. (In a good way.)

I'd be fine with three of those games winning: DA, DS2, and Bayo 2. Not a fan of Shadow of Mordor. But I wouldn't be surprised if that won.

Damerman

I think it's basically a "most new/different direction for gaming." It's not exactly "most innovative," but more so "shifting things in a different direction."

Like Mountain is a game where you get a randomly generated mountain and watch it grow and change without interacting with it.

i was thinking games that make social commentary.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Infamous was snubbed from every category as well, which tells me that they completely forgot about the games released in the first half of the year. Except DSII. Because reasons.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with the GOTY list overall. To me, Mordor was OK, but not incredible. Same with Hearthstone. More deserving would've been Wolfenstein, DKTF, and MK8, to me. But to each their own, I guess. I haven't played enough DA:I to know where I stand on it at the moment. Bayo 2 and DSII are pretty obvious choices, though.

I think the worst snub is to David Wise's soundtrack for Tropical Freeze, which is the best game soundtrack in many years.

The bolded statement is the very first thing I noticed (well, after the DKC sound snub).

Mesoian

Googled it and it's the name of an organization. I thought it had something to do with innovation in low-budget games, but it's actually the Social Justice Award.
Sigh....unbelievable.

Oh.

Weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird.

Regardless, buy all those games, they're fucking great.

I thought...just maybe...because of Evo this year Blazblue would finally get some recognition. I was wrong

LOL no.

Xrd should be on that list, even though it won't be out by the time this airs.

i was thinking games that make social commentary.

On the stream Geof basically said it's both of those things. Basically a game that pushes gaming in a positive new direction albeit mechanically or socially.

Googled it and it's the name of an organization. I thought it had something to do with innovation in low-budget games, but it's actually the Social Justice Award.
Sigh....unbelievable.

How is that unbelievable?

Timeaisis

Well, I'm not seeing how Left Behind fits that criteria, then, being a third person shooter. Obviously, I get Mountains nod, even though I don't care for it in the slightest.

"Games for Change" seems like a fluffy category where Geoff can put games that wouldn't stand a chance in their respective categories. Valiant Hearts, for instance, would not win best indie game, Mountain would not win best mobile game, etc, etc. The category just seems arbitrary to me.

LOL no.

Xrd should be on that list, even though it won't be out by the time this airs.
err, it should be...should be GOTY, but just looking at what they have, effing the horribly controlling 3DS smash brothers, and killer instinct which is just a bad fighter. And its clos cousin in persona is on there, most likely because it came out recently

Smash brothers wii u should be good though, as the biggest problems with smash 3DS were the controls, ill find out tomorrow

Ridesh

Banned
I'm watching walkthroughs about it.

T60DhN1.gif

Okay.

Top Bottom