• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

"Games for Change" seems like a fluffy category where Geoff can put games that wouldn't stand a chance in their respective categories. Valiant Hearts, for instance, would not win best indie game, Mountain would not win best mobile game, etc, etc. The category just seems arbitrary to me.

It's pretty clearly a category for games with progressive themes. Like, it's in the title.

Is Pikmin 3 a 2014 game? Man, cause it's been eating up all my gaming time these past few weeks. I guess I missed the boat on that one so I'll have to go with Mario Kart 8. It's just too fucking beautiful.

Vire

Well, I'm not seeing how Left Behind fits that criteria, then, being a third person shooter. Obviously, I get Mountains nod, even though I don't care for it in the slightest.

"Games for Change" seems like a fluffy category where Geoff can put games that wouldn't stand a chance in their respective categories. Valiant Hearts, for instance, would not win best indie game, Mountain would not win best mobile game, etc, etc. The category just seems arbitrary to me.

You clearly haven't played it then..

I won't spoil it, but the narrative is probably the most progressive thing in video games in the past decade.

Is Pikmin 3 a 2014 game? Man, cause it's been eating up all my gaming time these past few weeks. I guess I missed the boat on that one so I'll have to go with Mario Kart 8. It's just too fucking beautiful.

Damerman

I'm watching walkthroughs about it.

incredulous.gif

i sincerely hope you reconsider the necessity of ur post regarding DAI then... unbelievable. Like someone else said, Dragon Age Inquisition is the front runner. Also, I haven't played Bayonetta 2, but i think it deserves to win based on the overwhelming consensus that it is excellently crafted fun. I plan on buying a wiiu just for that
and smash and MK8.

Gonna predict these awards... let's see how many I'll guess correct

Best Online Experience: Destiny
Best Family Game: Skylanders: Trap Team
Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 2
Best Role-Playing Game: Dark Souls II
Best Fighting Game: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Best Action/Adventure: Alien: Isolation
Best Shooter: Destiny
Best Remaster: The Last of Us: Remastered
Games For Change: Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Best Performance: Kevin Spacey as Jonathan Irons, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Best Score/Soundtrack: Transistor
Best Narrative: The Wolf Among Us
Developer of the Year: Nintendo
Best Mobile/Handheld Game: Hearthstone
Best Independent Game: Shovel Knight
Game of the Year: Bayonetta 2

Timeaisis

I think it has more to do with what happens in the DLC, not going to spoil it though.

I know what happens, but I still don't understand the category.
It's about thematic changes in video games, then? Because Mountain is there just chilling being a mountain simulator.

I'm all for awarding games for pushing thematic boundaries, but we already have a category for that, it's called best Narrative.

Again, don't understand the category at all.

maxcriden

The lack of some Nintendo noms seems fairly ludicrous. No DK or Captain Toad? No Kirby? How about Scram Kitty or Pushmo? If they can have categories like best performance and best narrative, surely they can have best puzzle and platform games.

Googled it and it's the name of an organization. I thought it had something to do with innovation in low-budget games, but it's actually the Social Justice Award.
Sigh....unbelievable.
I don't think it's that but even if it was, I can't exactly see why that would be problematic. It's not like it would take anything away.

I haven't played a lot of PS3 games this year so I'm just going to go with Tropical Freeze and MK8, though I'm getting Smash U and Hyrule Warriors soon.

Revven

Holy shit color me surprised that Bayonetta 2 is a Game of the Year nominee. I hope it somehow gets it! Would be great for Platinum Games. :)

I'm a bit peeved that DKC:TF and Mario Kart 8 aren't in Soundtrack of the Year..... come on....

Vice

It's about thematic changes in video games, then? Because Mountain is there just chilling being a mountain simulator.

I'm all for awarding games for pushing thematic boundaries, but we already have a category for that, it's called best Narrative.

It's for games that do and say new things or do old things in a new or refined way.

molnizzle

The lack of some Nintendo noms seems fairly ludicrous. No DK or Captain Toad? No Tomodachi or Kirby? How about Scram Kitty or Pushmo? If they can have categories like best performance and most cinematic, surely they can have best puzzle and platform games.

The only Nintendo game that was (arguably) snubbed was DKC.

Those others... lol.

Vire

It's about pushing the boundaries in games... period. Be it through a mechanical change, or a thematic change.

Just simply, anything that is perceived as progressing the medium or trying something new. We should applaud studios for thinking outside the box instead of shoveling down the same cookie cutter shit in the AAA space we've been getting this entire year.

I think the nominees for it are pretty perfect actually and I love the idea of the award.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just remember that progressive isn't for specifically for social issues or gameplay innovation. It's for both.

Combining areas is pretty common in the awards. They having Racing/Sports, Audio Design/Soundtracks, and Online Experience is pretty largely encompassing in general too.

Just remember that progressive isn't for specifically for social issues or gameplay innovation. It's for both.

OK, that explains what I know of Mountain. I was just going by Left Behind's... thing (seriously, can we just talk openly about this? It's hardly a spoiler, but I don't want a billion bores jumping down my throat), and the two war games that don't have you sniping Nazis in the groin.

I like that it's an award. Best Narrative is a thing that seems, but highlighting games that attempt to diversify both mechanically and thematically is a good thing too, I feel.

GOTY candidates are interesting. Expected more AAA annualized franchises.

Titanfall, didn't play any, Forza Horizon 2, didn't play any, didn't play any, Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein, MCC, didn't play any, Kevin Spacey, Destiny, Wolfenstein, Monolith, Monument Valley, Monument Valley, didn't play any, Shadow of Mordor

Curufinwe

At a glance the only nominee that made me go WTF was.

Best Action/Adventure

Alien: Isolation
Assassin’s Creed: Unity
Bayonetta 2
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They Should have Best male and best female performance categories.

When I noticed it was combined I thought about it for a while and thought this didn't really make a difference.

When we look at the times in which The Oscars were created for example, there was going to be a gigantic inset bias against women, but I don't think that really holds true in 2014 for video games outside of the fact that there just aren't a ton of female lead characters compared to the number of men. It's still very plausible one could win though, given that most of the best received story games tend to have strong female characters.

Like if this was done for last year's I'd still expect the performance for Joel, Ellie, Booker, and Elizabeth to all show up in the top 5.

wildfire

Banned
Surely they can have best puzzle and platform games.

Not having a best platformer is fairly criminal since it is a long standing genre.

I kind of wish though that puzzle games were broken down into 2 categories. I see puzzle games that lack repeatability like the ones found in adventure games as different beasts from those where the game can be vary through play session in infinite ways. By creating that second distinction I argue that procedurally generated games like Spelunky or No Man's Sky in the future could be included in this category.

Dark Souls II should not be on the GotY list. Normally I don't give a shit about these voting things, but DSII was a straight-to-DVD sequel in every sense of the term. Not phoned-in by any means, but a massive drop in quality from the original.

Shadow of Mordor was too derivative of Assassin's Creed for me to keep playing, personally. It just stuck out to me too much; it was beyond being a "clone" and just more of a deliberate rip-off. The nemesis system was pretty cool, but I didn't feel like I was playing something new or interesting. It hasn't been a sterling year for games, but I feel like it's one of those games that got stuck on the list because it's a popular "new gen" game.

Still, not a bad list by any means, and we're always going to have personal disagreements with "official" lists/nominations.

Dark Soul II should not be on the GotY list. Normally I don't give a shit about these voting things, but DSII was a straight-to-DVD sequel in every sense of the term. Not phoned-in by any means, but a massive drop in quality from the original.

Reviewers loved it. 91 metacritic, tied with Bayonetta 2. It's what I'd put my money on to win. Dat multiplat appeal is too strong.

Best Score/Soundtrack

Alien: Isolation
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor

Where the motherfucking fuck is Tropical Freeze.

NotLiquid

It'd be pretty interesting if Bayonetta 2 won Game of The Year.

With the exception of the infrequent Mario game, it's not often that a game with such sheer joyful energy to it is able to stand on the pedestal above the rest. Usually you have a pretty good idea what to "expect" going into the GOTY season - big budget/cinematic/realistic/gritty aesthetic etc games that are tailored for the mass-experience. Bayonetta 2 in contrast is a game that focused it's meticulous design on encouraging the player just being able to have some absolutely crazy fun with memorable larger-than-life characters and a story that's just there to swing you into even crazier game play scenarios.

Top Bottom